PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take your hair to dry?

yrrebwartsymssi
November 7th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I just put my hair in two dutch braids yesterday morning because i decided to wash my hair. I haven't taken the braids out, but i am feeling underneath them and they are STILL damp. Even the braid itself is damp! My hair has never stayed wet this long! What is causing it, and how long does it take YOUR hair to dry?

backtolonghair
November 7th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Not sure why the braids are causing your hair to be damp longer... I have experienced this while wearing a bun as well... Maybe because of the extra thickness the braid has, from the hairs being put together, instead of flowing freely? I don't know.

My hair usually takes about an 1 hr to dry completely. When it was really long, I think 2 hrs, but I don't remember, that was way back in high school... Aww, to have long hair again! :)

Drynwhyl
November 7th, 2008, 08:01 AM
that really depends, in the summer I just go out in he sun and shake it around, it can dry for as short as 15 minutes.
I the winter, I just remain in a warm room, that takes up to 2 hours just to get it dry-ish. Nevermind. I love the feeling of wet hair ^_^

Siava
November 7th, 2008, 08:10 AM
If I leave my hair down it takes about 1 1/2 hours. If I clip it up or braid it wet, I can take it down at night and it'll still be damp. There's just not a lot of air movement between the strands to dry them out all the way.

AJoifulNoise
November 7th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I've never had a damp/wet bun dry. When I take my hair down, it's still rather damp. Braids take most of the day to dry, but they are dry before I go to bed. Down, my hair dries in about 2-3 hours if I comb it, much much longer if I don't.

Zindell
November 7th, 2008, 08:46 AM
My hair usually take less than an hour to dry.

But if I braid it wet in the evening and before I go to bed... it is still a bit damp in the morning!

And I have quite thin and fine hair so the braid is by no means big. Weird that a braid keeps water so well. :D

Isilya
November 7th, 2008, 08:50 AM
When it's down and warm (either a heated room or out in the sun), it takes about 2 hours. Bunned/braided and warm takes longer, more like 9 hours. Even then it's not 100% dry. Down and cold can take up to 7 hours. I don't even attempt bunned/braided and cold, it would take too long.

mommy101405
November 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
My hair takes forever to dry. Last night I washed it around 8 and when I went to bed at 11 there was still dampness on the underside. If I braid my hair it takes even longer.

Sunny
November 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
A long time. :D Since I'm gone all day and have to be put together when I leave the house, I just let it dry down overnight. The roots behind my ears and at the back of my head are often slightly damp in the morning, after at least 6 hours. I've had no success drying with braids, unless I'm just intending the wear the braids as is; then they'll be dry the next day, usually.

Once I did my whole head in pincurls. The next morning (at least 7 hours) it was still wet; it took at least 30 minutes with the hairdryer to get things tolerably dry. Once I tried three small, flat buns to try to get some loose waves in my hair; it was all wet in the morning.

Sunny
November 7th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I forgot to say that if I comb it all out and stay up for a few hours, the top part will be dry. The underneath hair is still quite damp and takes at least twice as long to dry.

HairColoredHair
November 7th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Braided it can take well over a day to get past 'cool-damp'.

Buns, the same.

Loose, many hours.

Jessikinz
November 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Mine takes 2-3 hours to fully dry. Sometimes I will just damp bun it over night and my hair is still a little damp when I take it down the next day.

mira-chan
November 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Loose it will dry fully in 6 or so hours. Braided or bunned, it will be damp indefinitely.

Alaia
November 7th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Down it takes over 4 hours (more like 6 in colder conditions).

In braids... it's still damp in the morning when I wash at 6 in the evening the night before.

Buns (when I wash in the morning)... still sopping wet when I take them down at 11 at night.

Honey39
November 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Down - takes about an hour and a half to get to tolerably damp, stays like that for another few hours but not noticeably wet, if you see what I mean.

Up - wouldn't dry I don't think. I've put it up wet before and it's still been wet when I took it down about 12 hours later. My hair is quite thick, so the heart of the updo doesn't every dry.

RocketDog
November 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
My hair is only collarbone length, but if I leave it down it takes a good hour to go from sopping to slightly damp. When I wear it up, it'll be damp 12 hours later. I wore french braids all day, then to bed and woke up the next morning with my hair still damp once!

taliarose
November 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Before I started oiling my damp hair it would take over night to dry in a bun maybe four hours loose. Since oiling it takes at least 24 hours to dry if I comb then put it up. If I leave it down maybe eight hours or so...

chelles2kids
November 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Summer-Around 4 hrs.
Winter-Around 6 hrs.
Bunned-Can take up to 1.5 days

Teakafrog
November 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Winter-Around 6 hrs.
Bunned-Can take up to 1.5 days

About this for me too. I washed over 3 hrs ago, still pretty damp. Put up wet, if I don't take it down, will still be wet the next day.

rileysmama32208
November 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM
if my hair is damp when i braid it, its still damp the next day.... if its down and free, well, a few hours, but i have a 7 month old wo loves to pull hair, so it hant been down in a looooong time, lol. (i have very thick hair).

Cinnamon Hair
November 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Not that long compared to some. My hair takes maybe 4 hours at most to completely dry if left down. Probably less in winter with the heat running. I never time it because usually I put my hair up while it's still quite damp then let it dry after I take down the updo at night.

Seraphina
November 8th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Washed this morning around nine,now it's half past eight and still wet.

tina1025
November 8th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I normally fan dry my hair..It normally takes about 20 mins.

Thrasher07
November 8th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I'd say for mine 2 hours inside the house, outside less. My hair is very pourous and even when I blowfried a couple of times I remember it taking 30mins - 1 hour to dry and it was shorter then!

yrrebwartsymssi
November 8th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I never even thought about the winter having some effect on my hair. I haven't really cared until this winter. I am glad that i am not the only one whose hair stays wet for years (lol) when braided!!! :D

goldenwaves
November 9th, 2008, 12:03 AM
About 2 hours, I think.

Vitalai
November 9th, 2008, 12:29 AM
It takes me about one to two hours.

If it's in a braid, the length will stay damp for quite a while. If I wear a damp bun overnight, it'll still be damp the next morning.

chantiny
November 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM
When it's down, my hair takes 6-8 hrs to dry usually. It just doesn't dry at all in a braid or an updo. I've been well past 2 days w/ a single english braid and it was still thoroughly damp. If I sleep on it wet, too, it won't dry. So sometimes even if it is down, it will take 12-14 hrs because if my hair doesn't get lots of free flowing circulation, nothing happens! I think I may need to get a blowfryer because now it is wintertime here, and I recently moved to a clime that water freezes in, and I don't want my hair to freeze into one big chunk of ice :silly:

happymommy
November 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
For me, it depends on if my hair needs moisture. If it is pretty dry and thirsty, about an hour to an hour and a half while down, this is usually post-henna. If I've been giving it what it wants, ie moisture and oil, then it has been known to take up to three hours down, in an updo after my 0530 shower, it is still damp when I go to bed at 10.

paper
November 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
About 2 hrs when it's down. And, it will still be a little damp at night, if I wear it up.

Ryanne
November 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
About 4 or 5 hours when it's down.

Juneii
November 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM
it takes longer to dry in a braid because there's less surface area. when your hair is loose air can get to almost every strand and evaporate the water, but when they're bunched closer to each other in a braid or a bun only the top part of the hair that is exposed to air dries.

for me it usually takes about 4 hours to dry when loose and... a long long time when it's up in a braid or bun. whenever I braid my hair at 6 in the evening it's still a bit damp when I take it out 7 in the morning the next day!

yrrebwartsymssi
November 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM
For me, it depends on if my hair needs moisture. If it is pretty dry and thirsty, about an hour to an hour and a half while down, this is usually post-henna. If I've been giving it what it wants, ie moisture and oil, then it has been known to take up to three hours down, in an updo after my 0530 shower, it is still damp when I go to bed at 10.

i never thought about this... i guess that means my hair is moisturized :p

Shari
November 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Double -post...oops!

Shari
November 9th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Longer when it is wet and greasy and shorter when it is freshly shampooed and conditioned. Probably no more than 1 hour though. However, this is at CHIN-LENGTH! When it is longer is takes sooooo long to dry and I have no idea why.

Curlsgirl
November 9th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Yesterday morning I washed before driving on a short trip upstate to meet some friends. I washed about 7:00 and even dried a bit with the diffuser and the roots with a blow dryer.
Still damp at 12:00 and maybe by 2:00 mostly dry. I have very thick hair. I have never had it dry in a bun or braid. It would take forever I am sure. So, without any help with the dryer, it probably takes about 10 hours to dry. I know when I wet it at night and sleep on it, it's not dry completely in the morning after 8-9 hours or so.

Note: I do use a lot of leave-in conditioner which makes it take longer.

Anje
November 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM
My hair's not that thick. It'll got from towel-dried damp to mostly dry in about an hour, and even the underneath parts will certainly be dry in 2 hours if I leave it loose.

Loose braids dry overnight, except where the elastic is (when I use one). Buns will still be quite soggy in the middle when I take them down after having worn it all day, but I don't do this much because I'm not sure that my hair and scalp like long-term dampness.