PDA

View Full Version : Lots of broken hairs

ClareDee
November 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I can't believe I didn't notice all this damage until now...:(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/frogmella/etc/BrokenHairs1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/frogmella/etc/BrokenHairs2.jpg

I fluffed out my hair at the roots today, and to me I seem to have either a ton of broken hairs, or lots of new ones. Most of these are at the front of my head, and you can see that a lot of them seem to be around the same length of a few inches long. I've teased the damage out a bit so that it shows for the photos (normally it's smoothed down).

The only reason I can think of for why the hairs might have broken off so close to the root, is that I flat-ironed my hair during the summer (before I found this site obviously). It was a pretty brutal ironing (I didn't use any heat-protector, and I put the iron over all the hairs several times until I saw steam, starting near the root)... I would also have been concentrating mostly on the front of my head, considering I can't reach the back so well.

Still, I'm living in hope still that these might also be new hairs :rolleyes:...
Or that this might even be normal? Any views/suggestions much appreciated...

rhubarbarin
November 7th, 2008, 07:49 AM
They all look like new hairs to me. I can even see the tapered ends on some. When you fluff your hair around at the roots, new growth will always stand straight up.

I don't think it's likely you would break a whole bunch of hair off right next to the scalp.

I have a lot of naturally short hairs all around my hairline, as do many people.

suicides_eve
November 7th, 2008, 07:49 AM
how much new regrowth have you had? did you color your hair at all? if your "broken hairs" are similar to you virgin growth then there not broken at all:)

even if they are broken, theres not much you can do until they grow out. Maybe try a light gel to hold down fly aways and stay away from the heat tools

ClareDee
November 7th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the input :blossom:. Sorry about my rubbish photos, actually, I'm amazed that any taper is visible :) I had another look and they do appear to be tapered hairs.

My hair is fine and breaks fairly easily, but I'm probably being a bit paranoid...

Good to know this seems normal.

Drynwhyl
November 7th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Yeah, they look like new baby hairs to me too. The hair near the scalp rarely breaks, as there are more oils there, keeping them from drying.
I usually get those new little hairs in winter, like cats grow their winter fur :P

ClareDee
November 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Yeah, they look like new baby hairs to me too. The hair near the scalp rarely breaks, as there are more oils there, keeping them from drying.
I usually get those new little hairs in winter, like cats grow their winter fur :P

Always nice to have something in common with cats, along with laziness :D

Regrowth like this seems more noticeable when I use cone-free stuff. And I'm tempted to use cones more often now, just so I don't have to deal with seeing all these new hairs sprouting straight upwards :cool:.

Tressie
November 7th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hi ClareDee,

I have these all over my head it seems. I really notice them when I stand in front of my mirror at night with the light behind me. It seems they are all waving at one another too! :D

I suppose that a lot of mine is breakage and perhaps some is new growth at different stages. I hope, I hope! Enough gel or oil will tame this wild party somewhat, but I suppose I'll never have the sleek hair that I so admire.......:wail:

I suppose this is not very helpful, but at least you are not alone:puppykisses:

ClareDee
November 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hi ClareDee,

I have these all over my head it seems. I really notice them when I stand in front of my mirror at night with the light behind me. It seems they are all waving at one another too! :D
:puppykisses:

Waving hello in their baby-hair voices. Ah see that endears them to me a bit, thanks ;)

I know regrowth is essential... and some damage is inevitable... As long as I can slather something on to make it look good, all's OK :cool:

jivete
November 7th, 2008, 08:48 AM
If you changed your routine a few months ago, that might explain the eruption of new baby hairs. After I quit dye and shampoo last Feb, I had a bunch of new growth. It looked a lot like what you have. I'm hoping it eventually bumps up my thickness. :D

mommy101405
November 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I have a lot of hair very similar to yours. Mine are a little longer but I am thinking they are regrowth after my postpartum shed. They blend in fine when my hair is down but when I put it up they stick out everywhere, I hate that.

DarkChocolate
November 7th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I notice new hairs all of the time:)
You are seeing the new growth:)

maliha
November 7th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I can find them on my head everywhere,,,say it or not but i have not noticed it so carefully after reading this thread as yes i do feel its baby hair :)

I remember doing scalp massage everyday may be ,,,all these new baby hair are stimulated by it,,, :)

ClareDee
November 7th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the comments, all :)
Maybe my scalp massaging has been working in encouraging new growth :hmm: Or maybe my hair has always been sprouting these new shoots and I never looked hard enough to see them before now :shrug:

Other than massaging, I'm not doing much differently except conditioning more often, washing less, and have almost completely cut out the hairdryer. Maybe it's relevant to the baby-hairs situation... I hope so - always good to see results of something ;)

jojo
November 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Yep me too, I also seem to get more in winter too!

Addy
November 7th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Another vote for baby hairs! :D

I have new baby hairs:) and some breakage.:( Some of the hair is virgin and the other half is broken off color treated hair.

ClareDee
November 7th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the baby-hair votes :D
Of course there are hundreds of hairs of hundreds of lengths all over my head... I'd be bald without 'em...
Maybe I'm just fooled by all the sleek and smooth updos I see here ;)

Interesting that it could be a winter thing, or seasonal growth. There's a lot about hair I don't know.

Teazel
November 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Maybe I'm just fooled by all the sleek and smooth updos I see here ;)

Ha! Yes, that's an easy trap to fall into. You should see all the sticky-up baby hairs on top of my head! All cheerfully waving away... "Look at me! Look at me!" :rolleyes:

:D

ClareDee
November 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Ha! Yes, that's an easy trap to fall into. You should see all the sticky-up baby hairs on top of my head! All cheerfully waving away... "Look at me! Look at me!" :rolleyes:

:D

Kath and Kim just came into my mind :D

After today's scrutiny, mine are saying ""What are you lookin at" to me.... I am making peace with them though, thanks all :thumbsup: