PDA

View Full Version : Muddy Dymondwood

Raederle
March 22nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Has anyone else had problems with dymondwood sticks turning muddy? Both the photos are clickable. This first picture was taken June 25, last year.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fanofpi/th_P6250170.jpg (http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fanofpi/P6250170.jpg)
And this was taken today
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fanofpi/th_P3220337.jpg (http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fanofpi/P3220337.jpg)
I realize there's flash in the first photo, and not in the second, but even given that, the colors have muddied. The two sticks in question are the two middle ones on the right hand side, framed by the Carnival and Raspberry Twist. They are now almost indistinguishable in color, but are, in fact, Tropical Purplewood, and Indigo Royalwood.

Is there something I can do to revive the colors? The other two sticks seem to have maintained their color.

manderly
March 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Hmmm, I don't know much about dymondwood, but perhaps they have product buildup on them?

Have you tried warm, soapy water and rubbing with a washcloth followed by oiling?

I'm sure someone with more experience can give you better answers.

hrimfaxi
March 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
On old-LHC there was a thread about how purples in dymondwood seem to fade to a greyish over time; perhaps there's a dye that is in both of those colors that happens to fade for whatever reason?

Raederle
March 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Hmm, you could be onto something there, hrimfaxi. I don't use any products on my hair that could cause buildup. I'm almost tempted to hit one with some very fine steel wool, or maybe a tack cloth.

I know there are some members here who work in dymondwood, and thought maybe they might have some ideas. I guess I could also contact Kevin and ask him.

Cinnamon Hair
March 22nd, 2008, 11:43 PM
On old-LHC there was a thread about how purples in dymondwood seem to fade to a greyish over time; perhaps there's a dye that is in both of those colors that happens to fade for whatever reason?

I was the one who posted that thread. I have several purplewood items and they all seem to fade over time into a brownish gray.

No one had a tried and true solution, but someone suggested to sand the stick and see if it was still purple inside. I gave it a try, since dymondwood is composed of layers of birch hardwood that have been injected with dye and laminated using extreme heat --so the color is not just on the outside layer. Well, it didn't work and now I have a single papadonh stick that's still ugly brown-gray and now rough from sandpaper too. Oh well, it was worth a try! I just wish I had learned about this sooner so I wouldn't have bought as many purple (not!) sticks and forks. My only mamacat fork is made of purplewood. :(

If you decide to buy more purple things you can slow down the color change by keeping them in the dark or covered with a hair stick sleeve. Though I'm not sure how effective this is... I'm still trying it to save my newest purple pieces myself.

It is not just solid purplewood that fades. Other dymondwood colors with a purple layer in them will fade just as bad (only the purple layer, it doesn't effect the other colors).

The indigo royalwood does fade but not nearly as bad. It is more of a slight darkening toward navy/black over time than a drastic change to icky brown/gray. You'll also find that yellow lemonwood (the light tan color) dulls over time, but again, not enough to ruin its look.. just not as bright. Most colors dull a little.

Cinnamon Hair
March 22nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
I found the photo I posted with my purplewood toys
http://longhair.home.mchsi.com/purpledymondwoodsticks032107.jpg
The one on the left was my newest, the rest had faded.

If anyone can find a cache page on google of my old thread I would be very appreciative! I looked and didn't see it. The title was something like purple dymondwood fading or dulling. Dymondwood was definitely in there, not sure about all the other words.

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
If anyone can find a cache page on google of my old thread I would be very appreciative! I looked and didn't see it. The title was something like purple dymondwood fading or dulling. Dymondwood was definitely in there, not sure about all the other words.

Unfortunately google has passed over anew on the domain, reindexing, and the old cache pages now seem to be gone and replaced with new ones from this new forum.

Alba-NY
March 23rd, 2008, 01:15 AM
I can't tell very well over the internet of course, but the colour it changes to looks rather pretty to me. All the same I have avoided purple dymondwood, sadly, due to the fade issue.

I find it hard to believe the manufacturer of dymondwood doesn't find this problem unacceptable!

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 01:16 AM
I find it hard to believe the manufacturer of dymondwood doesn't find this problem unacceptable!

There are SO many manufacturers of dymondwood, I guess they are never hurt by these things. They sell.. so why bother. :shrug:

Cinnamon Hair
March 23rd, 2008, 01:27 AM
Finally someone else has posted since me, now I don't feel like an idiot for replying again! I took some more photos of the fading.

First with purplewood the flat spirally papadonhs are newest (left uncovered), followed by the Graydog single with carved top (kept covered), rest are old. The weird looking papadonh (2nd from bottom) is the one I sanded.

http://classiclength.googlepages.com/purple_dymondwood_fade_dull_032308.jpg

Next with lemonwood darkening, then indigo royalwood darkening to navy/black.

http://classiclength.googlepages.com/yellowandblue_dymondwood_fading_dull.jpg

manderly
March 23rd, 2008, 01:35 AM
Honestly, if I invested money in a purple wood stick and it turned into a black stick (more or less), I would be pissed.

It's like getting a ficcare only to have the enamel completely change color.

I wish I had an answer for you, other than never ever buy purple diamond wood again.

Alba-NY
March 23rd, 2008, 01:36 AM
WOW those [formerly] purples are just.... wow. That's insane!

I can't tell on the yellow as much, and the blue works for me. The purple is just gah! Serious product flaw.

Cinnamon Hair
March 23rd, 2008, 01:43 AM
WOW those [formerly] purples are just.... wow. That's insane!

I can't tell on the yellow as much, and the blue works for me. The purple is just gah! Serious product flaw.

Heh :) I thought you might change your mind. It seriously is a dull gray with brown streaks... but if that's your thing I'd totally make a deal with you on the papadonh set (1 sanded 1 untouched). Hey, maybe you could rescue them.. I hear you are good with old cabinets, and these sticks are a lot smaller.

DecafJane
March 23rd, 2008, 02:07 AM
My goodness - it is bad enough that this happens, but considering what you have to go through to pick up some of those sticks in the first place, it is just AWFUL!

Do the makers of the products know?? If I were a craftsperson I would want to know that this was going on.

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 02:11 AM
I don't know.. most likely not. I mean.. who is going to complain to them after a year?

sapphire-o
March 23rd, 2008, 02:37 AM
Well, dymondwood is still wood. Most natural wood would darken over time. I haven't owned them for too long but I noticed a few sticks and forks much darker than when I first got them already. I have a bloodwood fork that's the darkest shade of red now, a pink ivory fork that changed from bright hot pink to deep red. I imagine dymondwood is the same and would dull with age and use?

Alba-NY
March 23rd, 2008, 02:37 AM
Heh :) I thought you might change your mind. It seriously is a dull gray with brown streaks... but if that's your thing I'd totally make a deal with you on the papadonh set (1 sanded 1 untouched). Hey, maybe you could rescue them.. I hear you are good with old cabinets, and these sticks are a lot smaller.

LOL
Actually I do still find it kind of neat, but *only* if that is what is originally chosen. (Or my monitor could be showing it favourably???) The funny thing is that I have a papadonh set that looks similar to that [sanding and, uh, re shaping issues to one stick] that I haven't taken care of after months. :p

Now, If your mamacat were the same size as those I have I'd offer a trade for a blue & red coloured one, but mine seems much shorter, and I need it that way. (I bet you need the longer length too.) ;)

Cinnamon Hair
March 23rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
Now, If your mamacat were the same size as those I have I'd offer a trade for a blue & red coloured one, but mine seems much shorter, and I need it that way. (I bet you need the longer length too.) ;)

The mamacat fork is a good 7" long if not a bit more. Even though the color sucks, I'd rather not part with it. Here's the color it was the first time I wore it.
http://feline.home.mchsi.com/hair/mamacat_purplewood_7inch_fork_120305.gif

trollkjerring
March 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
I would be really sad if my purple dymondwood hairtoys change their color. I also have a Mamacat fork in purple, also a graydog fork, both are older than two years now but so far they didn't change their color at all. I also have other purple dymondwood hairtoys like Ketylos that didn't change but are not that old.

So, what is different about our hairtoys or what are we doing different, Cinnamon Hair and Raederle? I really want to know cause I love purple so much:confused:
trollkjerring

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
Maybe different dymondwood makers. I have seen a LOT of purples come by, one is not the other at all.

Cinnamon Hair
March 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
Trollkjerring, if it's not asking too much, could you get your purple stuff together and take a photo (indoors with flash if possible.. to compare directly with my photos)? I would love to see if they are all the exact same shade or if the newer ones are somewhat brighter. None of mine went to dull gray/brown suddenly, if you look at the flat spirally papadonhs I posted they are somewhere between pretty new color and old nasty brown/gray color.

I think the difference may be keeping them covered or in a closed environment completely away from light. I keep my sticks in vases on the counter in my bathroom. They are exposed to maybe 2 hours of indoor light a day, moisture from the shower, and the air circulating throughout the house. There are no windows in the bathroom, so they aren't exposed to any sunlight. If I remember correctly you keep your toys in a box in inside many containers, not out on display in a room... is that right? That might be the issue, since I think covering them makes the color last longer.

Eadwine, it could be the vendor and/or manufacturer of the dymondwood but I don't think so. The pieces I showed were from Mamacat, Graydog, and Papadonh --3 different sellers. They can't be made from the same piece of wood or same kiln/firing process either, because the age of the pieces range from 2002 to 2007.

eadwine
March 23rd, 2008, 03:39 AM
Eadwine, it could be the vendor and/or manufacturer of the dymondwood but I don't think so. The pieces I showed were from Mamacat, Graydog, and Papadonh --3 different sellers. They can't be made from the same piece of wood or same kiln/firing process either, because the age of the pieces range from 2002 to 2007.
You mean those three from different sellers were all changed in color? Sorry but I keep my screen fairly dark (avoids headaches ;)) so I might have missed it.

What I DID notice over time is that the purplewood varies a lot from one seller to another. I just recently turned down a 60thstreet purple because it looked so gray, though I can be fairly sure that the wood used wasn't aged.

Maybe there is something in the purple that speeds up the aging process.. who knows.

Hypnotica
March 23rd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Here is a link sbout purplewood and colour changes:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/purpleheart.htm

trollkjerring
March 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
CinnamonHair, here is a pic made indoors with flash. Now if I look really close to the mamacat and graydogfork - the oldest ones - I see a change in color, they seem to be more on the brown side. But I never realised that before when I didn't compare to the other ones.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j133/Moritz_2006/Purplehairtoys.jpg

The arrow twist from Mamacat is the same age as the Mamacat fork - from the time she did her last custom order here for us and they are different. The arrowtwist is never used but the fork is used so the only difference between the two is daylight from wearing them.

Otherwise, you are right. I store mine is the dark, in wooden boxes, no moisture from the bathroom or light.

For about one week now I had both the Mamacat and the graydogfork hanging outside in my crocheted hairtoyholder, maybe that time was enough for the change? I never saw a difference before and now they are back in the wooden box:(
trollkjerring

akka naeda
March 23rd, 2008, 05:10 AM
I'm not sure how the purple dymondwood ages, as I haven't had mine long enough, but for those people who said they turned purple dymondwood sticks down because they look grey.... depending on the light my sticks (a pair of Ketylos) will look blue-grey or a nice deep purple. Due to the designs of Ketylos if you hold them at the right angle to the light it is possible to get both colours appearing at once.

I saw the original thread on dymondwood fading so I am keeping an eye on mine, I've also just ordered an Indigo Royalwood one, so I'm hoping that doesn't change too much.

Leisha
March 23rd, 2008, 05:32 AM
Heh, I just looked at my purplewood ketylo and yeah it seems to have faded as well, a bit.
Compared to my alabaster ketylo it's a lot less vibrant in colour. (Of course it could just depend on the colours themselves, but I do think the purplewood one has faded a little. Some of the layers especially look really gray)

I still like it :) but it's good to know about the colour change of this type of dymondwood!

What akka naeda said is definitely true as well, my ketylos almost seem to change colour depending on the light and what colour you hold them next to etc. My purplewood ketylo looks more purple in brighter light. Otherwise more blueish gray.

shrimp
March 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Hmmm I think I may reconsider my recent decision ot move all my sticks and forks to vases rather than keeping them in the boxes. If my blue sticks faded I'd be heartbroken :wail:

I bought a purple stick from amadlife recently which already has a greyish tinge to some of the stripes of colour. It's a weird colour to start with, pinkish purple. Maybe purple is just harder to produce so more prone to flaws? Looking closely at this stick where the grey seems a little 'chipped' it's blue underneath which you can see in these pictures

ETA better pics
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/shrimp_026/23-03-08_1301.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t282/shrimp_026/23-03-08_1303-1.jpg

Raederle
March 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I did get my brain jogged and remembered that this did come up on the old board. So I guess the solution is to keep those dymondwoods in the dark, letting them see the light only when used. Pity, but maybe it will protect the ones I have that still have the color. But the pink ivory too --- what a pity there. The color it is now is perfect for me. I suppose if it darkens sufficiently, it will be an excuse to get another --- right :evil: ?

basak
March 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Raederle, I was thinking about the same thing about pink ivory. I knew purpleheart got darker, but I had no idea that this would happen in other types of wood. I checked my pink ivory stick and it has gotten significantly redder. I like it, though.

Alaia
March 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
Is this Purpleheart or Purple Dymondwood?

I think maybe some people are getting confused (I sure am). The OP and some others have posted about dymondwood but some others are posting about Purpleheart.

Purple is an extremely rare colouring in natural wood, only the one species of tropical trees have it (purpleheart) with no interference from man. It does change colour over time, it lightens if you leave it in the sun - but so will everything you leave exposed to sunlight.

Purple Dymondwood... it seems logical to me that every single dye will fade when it has been impregnated into the wood unnaturally. Perhaps the purple dyes used do not bind well to the wood? perhaps the materials used to make the dyes are not strong enough to keep the purple colour. While dymondwood is a lovely material, I believe it is rather cheap.

I had a few dymondwood sticks and neither of their colours faded, but they were (and one of them is) of the blue/green variety and when they are not in my hair they are kept out of sunlight.

Raederle
March 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Here's (http://reviews.ebay.com/Pink-Ivory-Color-Change-Unusual_W0QQugidZ10000000000821373) an interesting article regarding pink ivorywood, written by Scotty Drye. So, it would seem that exposure to air is not a factor.

Of course, my original query was regarding dymondwood. I'm wondering if there's some coating I could put on the sticks that still have the proper color, as a preventative to their fading on down the line.

ladiosaRosa
March 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
I don't have my purple family sticks very long so I can't give feedback.

Hmmm? Thanks for bringing up the subject again, Raederle. I have 5or6 sticks from various artists that may be affected. Some of them are fuchsia, fuchsia/indigo, or fuchsia/purple dymondwood. Currently I'm storing them in/on my crocheted hair toy organizer that doesn't get direct sunlight but still. I'll have to store them in a dark drawer. Bummer if they turn.

Anyone see their fuchsia pieces change?

sapphire-o
March 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Eep, I hope the fuchsia dymondwood don't change color. I don't have pure purple ones but I do have some fuchsia sticks. One of them has a purple topper, if it changed it wouldn't match in color.

Cinnamon Hair
March 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Attempting to try the multi-quote feature. Hope it works!

CinnamonHair, here is a pic made indoors with flash. Now if I look really close to the mamacat and graydogfork - the oldest ones - I see a change in color, they seem to be more on the brown side. But I never realised that before when I didn't compare to the other ones.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j133/Moritz_2006/Purplehairtoys.jpg

The arrow twist from Mamacat is the same age as the Mamacat fork - from the time she did her last custom order here for us and they are different. The arrowtwist is never used but the fork is used so the only difference between the two is daylight from wearing them.

Otherwise, you are right. I store mine is the dark, in wooden boxes, no moisture from the bathroom or light.

For about one week now I had both the Mamacat and the graydogfork hanging outside in my crocheted hairtoyholder, maybe that time was enough for the change? I never saw a difference before and now they are back in the wooden box:(
trollkjerring

A couple of your older pieces do look darker, but I'm not certain if they are the same shade as my oldest ones.
I guess that disproves the theory of keeping them away from light to save the color? Although it may have slowed down the change... but by how much I'm not sure.
How old is the 4 prong fork? It seems to be the prettiest.

Thanks for all the responses. I did get my brain jogged and remembered that this did come up on the old board. So I guess the solution is to keep those dymondwoods in the dark, letting them see the light only when used. Pity, but maybe it will protect the ones I have that still have the color. But the pink ivory too --- what a pity there. The color it is now is perfect for me. I suppose if it darkens sufficiently, it will be an excuse to get another --- right :evil: ?

Looking at trollkjerring's photos I think you may not gain much afterall by keeping them covered.
I have to see toys to remember I have them. If I put all my purple stuff in a box there is a good chance I would forget about them and never or rarely wear them. It would be a pity if they changed color and you never had a chance to wear the piece while it looked new.

Is this Purpleheart or Purple Dymondwood?

I think maybe some people are getting confused (I sure am). The OP and some others have posted about dymondwood but some others are posting about Purpleheart

I have been talking about dymondwood only. Natural wood can darken as well, but that wasn't the topic of this post.
I agree some are confused thinking purplewood dymondwood is the same as purpleheart. --It isn't.

Eep, I hope the fuchsia dymondwood don't change color. I don't have pure purple ones but I do have some fuchsia sticks. One of them has a purple topper, if it changed it wouldn't match in color.

Fuchsia is one of the color that does darken over time but not enough to ruin its look IMO. My first nice hairsticks were from papadonh in 2002. They were a pair of fuchsia (since sold on swap board) and a pair of indigo dymondwood (pictured earlier). The fuchsia changed to a darker pink and the indigo changed to navy/black. In the sunlight they both still looked vibrant like dymondwood should. The purplewood dymondwood just went gray/brown instead of changing to a darker shade of the same color (blue=navy, pink=dark pink, yellow lemonwood=gold).
Like someone mentioned above, subtle changes in color (usually darkening) happen with all wood and most dymondwood. The purple dymondwood was an extreme change.

LilyMunster
March 23rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
going to line up my purple diamond wood pieces for inspection in the sunshine:(

truepeacenik
March 23rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'm going to come at this from a different direction.
My experiences are ceramic glaze, Procion fiber dye and acrylic paints.
Purples are hard to get and are expensive.

Dymondwood is dyed with analine dye, which is what Procion is; it is possible that ICI makes the analine dye used in Dymondwood.
Purples are often the first to fade on our dyes, and sometimes on paintings exposed to light.
Ceramics, not so much since the coloring is different.

Birch wood, of course, will also change slightly over time, and resins can yellow, so Dymondwood has THREE issues going on at once.
As the dye breaks down, the wood changes and the resin darkens, there's a potential for some ugly color mixing.

What this ultimately means, I don't know, but I think I am moving my hairtoys into a darker, protected, case.

eresh
March 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Slightly offtopic...

Does anyone have sticks or forks made of dymondwood Camo?
I'd love to see pictures of it.

(as I ordered #40 camo for sticks and the colors turned out to be different than I expected, so I'd like to compair :-) )

Kittee
March 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I am actually special ordering a 3 prong from 60th Street currently, I was deciding on lenght and color tonight before I got back with them.

I was going with "Sunny Skies" Its blue and yellow, think that color will hold up?

sapphire-o
March 23rd, 2008, 06:12 PM
I have a blue and yellow fork, not too old but I haven't noticed much color change yet. :) I think after reading all these your best bet is brown or black dymondwood, they can't get much darker. :D

Flaxen
March 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
If anyone can find a cache page on google of my old thread I would be very appreciative!

Here you go (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-59077.html). :smile:

Neoma
March 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
I have an Amazon Dymondwood stick (blues, greens, browns) from Ozark Twist. It is one of my favorites, but the color, which used to be almost iridescent, has dulled. It has two issues, actually. The top end of the stick looks a little dull. I think that I may have gotten hairspray on it. Also, the overall color is a bit muddier.

frizzinator
March 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
Eresh, I bought both desert camo and hazelnut dymondwood Ketylo sticks in the same order, and they are so similar that it's difficult to identify which one is desert camo:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/32308006.jpg

I think the stick at the top of the photo is desert camo.

This side view shows how much they look alike:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/32308007.jpg

Cinnamon Hair
March 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Here you go (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-59077.html). :smile:

Wow Flaxen thanks for finding that! This confirms you have Internet superpowers. :)

trollkjerring
March 24th, 2008, 05:25 AM
How old is the 4 prong fork? It seems to be the prettiest.

The 4 prong fork is the newest one, about three weeks old and you are right, it is the prettiest - that makes me sad cause I really love it that way but won't buy anymore of that color if it changes to muddybrown anyway. I will keep an eye on the new fork:o
trollkjerring

eresh
March 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Thanks Frizzinator!!
Gorgeous sticks!
The color is very similar indeed.
That's why I chose the nr 40 camo, as I already have a hazelnut.
I hope anyone has a nr40 camo picture, so I can see what the color really looks like.

Nightshade
March 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I think it was pookatrina, that told me that she won't use dymondwood for her forks/sticks because there are all sorts of horrible chemicals used to make them. I can't remember which ones, but I remember going :bigeyes: when she was telling me about it.

On the occasion when I've cut the tops of dymondwood ketylos to top them, they STINK. They don't smell like wood at all, they smell like some horrible cross of burnt hair, plastic, and chemicals. I was overwhelmed by how bad it was just to cut/drill that little bit. I can't imagine working with that crap on a regular basis and not having lung problems. :(

sapphire-o
March 24th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Ya dymondwood does smell funny, especially when damp. They're very useful in rainy weather, though. :) I bet people working with it wear goggles and masks.

truepeacenik
March 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM
of course they smell funny: they are resin impregnated.

Good to know I was not hallucinating the changes in my original pair of sticks.

Raederle
May 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Just updating here. In early April, I emailed Kevin, asking him about the dymondwoods, and hoping he might have some tips to prevent the muddiness. He was kind enough to offer to take a look at them and do what he could. For various reasons, I was unable to follow up on his offer until fairly recently. I assured him that I don't use them on even damp hair, nor do I mist my hair, or store the sticks in a humid environment.

I just got the sticks back today, and they are beautiful. It looks as though he sanded them down a bit, and the color is saturated again. I plan to keep them in a felt bag now, just in case light could be a factor. I haven't yet gotten an email from him.

Cinnamon Hair
May 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Just updating here. In early April, I emailed Kevin, asking him about the dymondwoods, and hoping he might have some tips to prevent the muddiness. He was kind enough to offer to take a look at them and do what he could. For various reasons, I was unable to follow up on his offer until fairly recently. I assured him that I don't use them on even damp hair, nor do I mist my hair, or store the sticks in a humid environment.

I just got the sticks back today, and they are beautiful. It looks as though he sanded them down a bit, and the color is saturated again. I plan to keep them in a felt bag now, just in case light could be a factor. I haven't yet gotten an email from him.

Are you certain he didn't send you a new pair? While I admit I'm not a craftsman, I have tried sanding one of my purple dymondwood sticks and the color was muddy throughout.

Raederle
May 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Good question. I'm not entirely sure. I'm basing it on a visual inspection as compared to other Ketylos I own, and the lack of the little Ketylo "brand" for lack of a better term that used to be on each stick. I'm sending him an email letting him know I got them back, and maybe he'll answer the mystery.

Cinnamon Hair
May 12th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Raederle, thanks for checking on that. It would be wonderful if purplewood is "fixable"... although I suppose you can only sand a hairtoy so many times before you end up with a toothpick. I'm happy your pair was restored!

Raederle
May 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I was pondering the potential toothpick aspect of it all, too. I plan to take a photo in natural light tomorrow so I can compare to the picture I took before I sent them to him.

physicschick
May 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Apparently I haven't posted in this thread yet. I don't have much dymondwood, but the blue that I have (indigo royalwood?) isn't as intensely blue as it used to be. I don't think it has exactly darkened, though. Some parts of it are light but are less intensely blue. I have a green stick (either aqua or jadewood) that doesn't seem to have changed at all. My couple other pieces are too new to say.

harley mama
May 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Raederle, all of my Ketylo sticks are not branded. I figured they just missed a few now and then.

physicschick
May 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I don't think any of my dymondwood Ketylos are branded, while all of my natural wood Ketylos are.

Raederle
May 14th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Right you are about the brands, pc. They look ever so slightly smaller now. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

harley mama
May 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hummm, my natural wood Ketylos don't have brands. Well, one set did but only one of the sticks. I gave them to a friend as a gift a few months ago.

Delenn
May 15th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Yikes, I was planning on ordering a purple set of ketylos next week! Wahhhhh! =(

blue_nant
May 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM
dadgummit, why didn't they SAY that the bag was to keep them from changing colors? NERP!

prosperina
May 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Uh oh. I guess I shouldn't have left my tropical purplewood ketylo (dymondwood of course) in my car in the summer heat. :doh:

Leaving to rescue the poor stick.

rowie
June 8th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I am never ever going to invest in dymondwood ever! I'm so happy I haven't bought any, and like what someone in here said "it's like buying a Ficcare only to have the enamel change color," I think i'll stick to acrylics and metal as I'd rather have the color last longer than wood. Thanks for this thread it has saved me from venturing into the realm of diamond wood. Phew!

Neneka
June 9th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Thanks for upping this thread! I have noticed this too and I have been wondering if it has really happened or not. I have some dymondwood sticks and some of them have done this (They are actually KnitPro shawl pins but they are good as hair sticks too). I don't really mind. I love them anyway but I have just been wondering.

Kaelee
June 22nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
I had some dymond wood once (I traded the sticks for a Ficcare)- they were a nice light natural wood color and I loved the finished. I would love some more dymondwood...what colors are "safe"/don't change too horribly? (I know wood changes and that's OK, but so far I'm not liking what I'm seeing purplewood does and indigo royalwood does.)

puddums
June 22nd, 2013, 02:28 PM
While I'm not an expert, I think I've heard that purple and blues fade the most with dymondwood. I have lots of other colours (a lot of browns, mostly) and I haven't noticed any fading, although I've only had those ones about a year. Hope this helps! :)

Kaelee
June 22nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
What about the pinks? I've seen some lovely pink/fuscia colors that are just gorgeous.

ooo
June 22nd, 2013, 02:53 PM
What about the pinks? I've seen some lovely pink/fuscia colors that are just gorgeous.

they fade as well. my fuchsia 60th street went to a lighter more watery shade of pink and I can show you a picture for my raspberry twist ketylo. it reddened somehow. http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/quallest/DSCN0863_zpsab8050d0.jpg
the indigo royal wood TT faded to something greener. The vinyard ketylo got muddy. The holly TT turned a bit more yellow. Now I keep them in a very dark place, before they were only in a rather dark place.
It is very difficult for me, but I decided to not buy any more dymondwood toys. When I want something colourful I rather reach for acryl.

edit: and can you see, there is a TT next to a ketylo. they are both raspberry twist. :( the TT is much newer though

Kaelee
June 22nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
Awe man, I'm sad to see that because vinyard is one of the ones that I wanted. :(

There are some gorgeous more natural colored ones though, too. Maybe I'll just stick to them.

lapushka
June 22nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
Don't they fade because they're used in damp or moist circumstances / hair?

ooo
June 22nd, 2013, 04:33 PM
Don't they fade because they're used in damp or moist circumstances / hair?

I can only speak for the ones I have. No, they even fade when they don't get used at all. Humidity is not high here as well. Never used my dymondwood hair toys in damp hair or moist curcumstances. I hardly used them at all tbh.

schweedie
June 23rd, 2013, 01:53 AM
I got a Fuchsia fork through the swap board recently, and although I don't know exactly what shade it was originally, it's definitely faded - it's rather dark and red-ish. I don't mind at all, though, I love this colour.

On the other hand, I have a Tahitian Jadewood (green, that is) Ketylo stick, also from the swap board, which doesn't seem to be faded at all. It's still a nice bright green, and considering it's the older slightly thicker style it's probably a few years old, so I'm guessing it's going to stay that way. I've heard similar things about Bahama Cherrywood. I'd guess dymondwood behaves a bit like natural woods - some change, others don't!

Nightshade
June 24th, 2013, 07:35 AM
they fade as well. my fuchsia 60th street went to a lighter more watery shade of pink and I can show you a picture for my raspberry twist ketylo. it reddened somehow. http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/quallest/DSCN0863_zpsab8050d0.jpg
the indigo royal wood TT faded to something greener. The vinyard ketylo got muddy. The holly TT turned a bit more yellow. Now I keep them in a very dark place, before they were only in a rather dark place.
It is very difficult for me, but I decided to not buy any more dymondwood toys. When I want something colourful I rather reach for acryl.

edit: and can you see, there is a TT next to a ketylo. they are both raspberry twist. :( the TT is much newer though

Actually the holly will whiten back up if you keep it in the sun. :)

lapushka
June 24th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I can only speak for the ones I have. No, they even fade when they don't get used at all. Humidity is not high here as well. Never used my dymondwood hair toys in damp hair or moist curcumstances. I hardly used them at all tbh.

Well that's a bummer. :( Can't say my dymondwood ones have faded at all, because they haven't, but then I haven't worn them a lot yet.

ooo
June 24th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Actually the holly will whiten back up if you keep it in the sun. :)
This is wonderfull news :D Thank you!

Stellaaa
June 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM
My mulberry dymondwood 60th Street fork is losing its blue, the blue bands are turning grey and blending into the black. It's only a few months old too, but it has been worn almost daily in that time, in freezing cold with zero humidity and hot sweaty weather as well. I think my body chemistry is particularly noxious as well. Rubber rots within 6 months, if I touch it, so why wouldn't dyes hate me too? The blue is going from my Field and Stream dymondwood too, but I bought that one used, anyway.

Will that stop me from buying more 60th Street dymondwood forks? Are you kidding? If it wasn't sooooo perfect, I wouldn't have worn it almost daily for months, when I have vases and drawers full of other stuff, would I?

I am however, reconsidering the Indigo Royalwood I was coveting. Maybe Bahama Cherrywood instead.

truepeacenik
June 24th, 2013, 10:47 PM
A blue fork and a purple stick both darkened considerably.
I'll not get dymondwood again. I'll enjoy from afar. But not from my change jar.

schweedie
June 25th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Will that stop me from buying more 60th Street dymondwood forks? Are you kidding? If it wasn't sooooo perfect, I wouldn't have worn it almost daily for months, when I have vases and drawers full of other stuff, would I?

I am however, reconsidering the Indigo Royalwood I was coveting. Maybe Bahama Cherrywood instead.
Heh, exactly. While the colours are obviously a part of why I want more dymondwood 60th Street forks, the main reason are how awesome they are for holding my hair. The finish is perfect for my picky hair and they slide through it like a knife through butter! Even though my Indigo Royalwood fork barely has any discernible colour - it's almost black with just a hint of dark blue/green - I've kept wearing it the most out of all my hairtoys. (But yeah, I myself wouldn't go for Indigo again.)

Stellaaa
June 25th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Heh, exactly. While the colours are obviously a part of why I want more dymondwood 60th Street forks, the main reason are how awesome they are for holding my hair. The finish is perfect for my picky hair and they slide through it like a knife through butter! Even though my Indigo Royalwood fork barely has any discernible colour - it's almost black with just a hint of dark blue/green - I've kept wearing it the most out of all my hairtoys. (But yeah, I myself wouldn't go for Indigo again.)

They sold a 4 prong Indigo Royalwood overnight. So glad I wasn't awake, it would have been very hard to resist.

Hacksaw007
August 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Let me add my 2 cents, as a maker of things with Dymoundwood, and having visited the Rutland Plant in Vermont 3 times in the past I can offer up this information. First off most if not all of the Dymoundwood is made from hardwood white birch wood. The woods used are colored with a water based color, that is environmentally safe enough that the waste water from the dye's are sent to the sewer systems. The plys are all running the same direction so they turn as a normal piece of wood, except they are a lot harder and more water resistant. There is NO finish on the outside of a finished piece of Dymoundwood, but it is sanded to a fine sandpaper, and buff polished with a light abrasive. Wood does change color, and different woods change differently, birch is one that doesn't change so much. A good rule of thumb is that the darker colors tend to change more. Also the polished surface might dull up after some time. By rebuffing the wood surface the bright colors can be brought back to a degree. A clean soft rag is necessary. A light auto buffing compound can be used or just your average tooth past. Buffing should be done straight with the grain and not in circles. UV sunlight tends to kill colors and speed up the wood color changes also, so don't leave your sticks setting out in the sun or on your car's dash board! I have some color samples from 20 years ago from Rutland and those colors have faded a bit. Almost all materials will change a bit over time. Exotic Purpleheart tends to turn browner over time, Africian Padauk also can brown out, Cherry wood quickly changes colors. If you check on the internet information on the wood you are considering to buy, they usually tell about color changes. Hope this helps!

-Mike

Rutlands link to their website is: http://www.rutply.com/products/dymondwood.html You can learn more there. Currently Rutland is the only maker of the harder Dymoundwood that I know.....

Kaelee
August 26th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Great information!!! Thanks Mike!!!!