PDA

View Full Version : Question for the experienced

Sparkles122
July 8th, 2019, 08:54 AM
My question involves the use of silicones. Before becoming a member here, I knew absolutely nothing about the use of silicones or even what they were. Interestingly I gravitated towards silicone free conditioners without never really understanding why i preferred certain conditioners more than others. Back in November when I had a bleach highlighting accident (bleach was left on too long) I came here seeking help and learned all about the world of silicones. Here I am almost 9 months later and various products later trying to get my hair back to what it previously was. My question involves silicones, they do provide more slip, and make my life much easier when washing my hair, however, my hair feels drier when it dries. Is this a real thing? Or is it just my hair? I do alternate between silicone and silicone free conditioners depending on how I feel. But why does my hair feel drier after silicones?

My other question is has anyone on here had success in growing out hair with using only silicone free conditiioners on bleach damaged hair? And by damaged I mean very dry. There was no visible breakage after the accident, just very very very dry and tangly, like hay

ETA: I know that bleach damage can sometimes take months to really show which is why Im curious if anyone has had any success with only being silicone free, before i actually attempt it.

The-Young-Maid
July 8th, 2019, 09:29 AM
The dryness is probably just buildup. Have you clarified recently? I know I need to when my hair starts getting that dry feeling. Switching between cones and cone free might buildup faster then just using one or the other.

Sparkles122
July 8th, 2019, 09:31 AM
The dryness is probably just buildup. Have you clarified recently? I know I need to when my hair starts getting that dry feeling. Switching between cones and cone free might buildup faster then just using one or the other.

Yes, I think the shampoos that I use are very heavy with the sulfates

Joules
July 8th, 2019, 09:40 AM
My other question is has anyone on here had success in growing out hair with using only silicone free conditiioners on bleach damaged hair? And by damaged I mean very dry. There was no visible breakage after the accident, just very very very dry and tangly, like hay.

No. I tried for years to grow my hair long on silicone-free routine (8 years no less) and I couldn't get past waist for the life of me. Well, I could, but my hair would get like hay and very very tangly, it was unbearable. And mind you I have virgin hair (well, I hennaed it for a year, but that's it). The moment I went back to using silicones (and sulfates) my hair became super healthy.

I think that silicones are an absolute must for bleached damaged hair. Do use them wisely; I personally prefer silicones in my leave-ins and silicone-free rinse-out products. And there are different kinds of silicones, science-y hair blog has a great article about them. You may love some and hate others. So yeah, I'd suggest trying out different products with different cones, don't go completely cone-free unless you're sure none of them suit your hair, silicones are one of the best inventions in the hair care industry.

lapushka
July 8th, 2019, 09:44 AM
My first question upon reading that it becomes dry is... have you clarified recently?

I clarify weekly, and never have issues with my hair feeling dry or product-y and I use silicones and products without them interchangeably, I am currently using up my stash and it is varied!

Sparkles122
July 8th, 2019, 09:52 AM
No. I tried for years to grow my hair long on silicone-free routine (8 years no less) and I couldn't get past waist for the life of me. Well, I could, but my hair would get like hay and very very tangly, it was unbearable. And mind you I have virgin hair (well, I hennaed it for a year, but that's it). The moment I went back to using silicones (and sulfates) my hair became super healthy.

I think that silicones are an absolute must for bleached damaged hair. Do use them wisely; I personally prefer silicones in my leave-ins and silicone-free rinse-out products. And there are different kinds of silicones, science-y hair blog has a great article about them. You may love some and hate others. So yeah, I'd suggest trying out different products with different cones, don't go completely cone-free unless you're sure none of them suit your hair, silicones are one of the best inventions in the hair care industry.

Upon looking at the conditioners that ive been using more frequently, most of them have Amiodimethicone. Im going to switch it up and try some pantene conditioners. On the days that I do use the silicone free conditioner I have to use ALOT of it like almost the whole darn bottle. And when drying I have to be careful to get all the tangles out. I *have* been noticing some “smaller hairs” when drying (I blow dry on warm) but overall I am seeing growth, approx 5 inches since November. I do think these “smaller hairs” are the very beginning of breakage and it sucks. So I most likely should be using the silicones with every wash and not alternating with silicone free at all. My ends appear to be ok, so Ill be keeping my eye on it.

ETA- by “smaller hairs” I mean little tiny hairs amongst my shed ones

Sparkles122
July 8th, 2019, 09:56 AM
My first question upon reading that it becomes dry is... have you clarified recently?

I clarify weekly, and never have issues with my hair feeling dry or product-y and I use silicones and products without them interchangeably, I am currently using up my stash and it is varied!

Yes my usual shampoos are Pantene sheer volume, Biolage hydrasource, and one of the newer herbal essence naked volume shampoo, I think all 3 are heavy with sulfates

Joules
July 8th, 2019, 10:07 AM
Upon looking at the conditioners that ive been using more frequently, most of them have Amiodimethicone. Im going to switch it up and try some pantene conditioners. On the days that I do use the silicone free conditioner I have to use ALOT of it like almost the whole darn bottle. And when drying I have to be careful to get all the tangles out. I *have* been noticing some “smaller hairs” when drying (I blow dry on warm) but overall I am seeing growth, approx 5 inches since November. I do think these “smaller hairs” are the very beginning of breakage and it sucks. So I most likely should be using the silicones with every wash and not alternating with silicone free at all. My ends appear to be ok, so Ill be keeping my eye on it.

ETA- by “smaller hairs” I mean little tiny hairs amongst my shed ones

Amodimethicone is a great type of silicone. My personal favorite :) it's a polymer that adheres only to damaged parts and doesn't build up on itself (there are other names to this cone, like bis-aminopropyl dimethicone). I pretty much use only this type of cone.

Sparkles122
July 8th, 2019, 10:09 AM
Amodimethicone is a great type of silicone. My personal favorite :) it's a polymer that adheres only to damaged parts and doesn't build up on itself (there are other names to this cone, like bis-aminopropyl dimethicone). I pretty much use only this type of cone.

Ohhh ok so Amiodimethicone and Bis-aminopropyl dimethicone are the same? Because thats the one I was going to try next

Ylva
July 8th, 2019, 10:11 AM
I was silicone free with bleached hair for a while and it was a success. Then I made the mistake of bleaching my hair once too many times and it no longer worked as well. I think it depends on the severity of the damage.

TatsuOni
July 8th, 2019, 10:55 AM
I've been CO-washing and been cone free for more than five years now. My hair feels so much better without silicones and sulfates! When I started more than half of my hair was still bleached, dyed and dry, while not "that damaged". I microtrimmed away the bleach and only benefited from skipping cones, but everyone's hair's different :)

lithostoic
July 8th, 2019, 02:36 PM
When I was growing out my absolutely FRIED bleached hair, I opted for a serum with water soluble cones. Shampoo and conditioner was silicone and sulfate free.

lapushka
July 8th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Yes my usual shampoos are Pantene sheer volume, Biolage hydrasource, and one of the newer herbal essence naked volume shampoo, I think all 3 are heavy with sulfates

That should be good. How often do you wash/clarify?

blackgothicdoll
July 8th, 2019, 03:57 PM
You may actually want to try heavier cones, like dimethicone. I know that when my hair was bleached, it loved thick, slippery coney conditioners and serums. Today, though my hair isn't any less damaged, it's a different type of damage where it absolutely despises cones.

If you already use sulfates, using heavier cones really shouldn't be problematic - that is to say, if nothing else is working for you, the worst that can happen is that also doesn't work.

Outside of cones/no cones, what else have you tried? Oils, butters, etc? Does your hair tend to like things on the heavy spectrum or prefer less product?

lapushka
July 8th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Yes, I love dimethicone. It is "supposed" to be a heavier silicone, but somehow it works for me, even in shampoo! I like it a lot.

Sparkles122
July 8th, 2019, 07:09 PM
That should be good. How often do you wash/clarify?

Its usually every other day or every 2 days

Sparkles122
July 8th, 2019, 07:12 PM
You may actually want to try heavier cones, like dimethicone. I know that when my hair was bleached, it loved thick, slippery coney conditioners and serums. Today, though my hair isn't any less damaged, it's a different type of damage where it absolutely despises cones.

If you already use sulfates, using heavier cones really shouldn't be problematic - that is to say, if nothing else is working for you, the worst that can happen is that also doesn't work.

Outside of cones/no cones, what else have you tried? Oils, butters, etc? Does your hair tend to like things on the heavy spectrum or prefer less product?

Ill try dimethicone. I think some of the dove conditioner have that silicone in it. Ive tried I think olive oil a few months ago. I probably used too much because it made my hair greasy. I purchased some almond oil but never got around to trying it. And i think my hair prefers less product, well my undamaged hair did anyway.

Sparkles122
July 8th, 2019, 07:22 PM
When I was growing out my absolutely FRIED bleached hair, I opted for a serum with water soluble cones. Shampoo and conditioner was silicone and sulfate free.

I have the It’s a 10 leave in serum that ive had for a while and havent tried. Maybe I should try incorporating that and then maybe I wouldnt have to use practically the whole bottle of conditioner when I use silicone free

blackgothicdoll
July 8th, 2019, 09:17 PM
I have the It’s a 10 leave in serum that ive had for a while and havent tried. Maybe I should try incorporating that and then maybe I would have to use practically the whole bottle of conditioner when I use silicone free

Another suggestion is, have you tried trading out conditioners for masks? I know I don't have the same type of damage, but my hair is eternally dry to the point that conditioner is a joke. I use masks with heat, or I also use them in the shower like a conditioner, but apply the mask before washing, put on a plastic cap, and then rinse after washing (so that it almost is being used as a deep treatment). Regardless of whether I use it with a cap, out of the shower with heat, or just pin my hair up while I wash, I always use a mask and rarely use conditioners these days.

If you happen to have any masks lying around, silicone free or not, you can try swapping them out where you normally use conditioner and perhaps it will work better.

I'm not sure what masks you have in your area, but back when I used to like cones I absolutely loved the Neutragena mask that comes in the gold-ish tube. I believe it's marketed as a 3 minute treatment, somewhere between a conditioner and a mask - they also sell the version in the jar that is a mask but I've never tried it. If you want to stay cone free, the GF treat series is very popular, I recommend the banana flavor.

(The first mask I mentioned) https://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Conditioner-Over-Processed-Intensive-Meadowfoam/dp/B00UOLI6ME/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=neutrogena+hair+mask&qid=1562642223&s=pantry&sr=8-14

Sparkles122
July 8th, 2019, 09:27 PM
Another suggestion is, have you tried trading out conditioners for masks? I know I don't have the same type of damage, but my hair is eternally dry to the point that conditioner is a joke. I use masks with heat, or I also use them in the shower like a conditioner, but apply the mask before washing, put on a plastic cap, and then rinse after washing (so that it almost is being used as a deep treatment). Regardless of whether I use it with a cap, out of the shower with heat, or just pin my hair up while I wash, I always use a mask and rarely use conditioners these days.

If you happen to have any masks lying around, silicone free or not, you can try swapping them out where you normally use conditioner and perhaps it will work better.

I'm not sure what masks you have in your area, but back when I used to like cones I absolutely loved the Neutragena mask that comes in the gold-ish tube. I believe it's marketed as a 3 minute treatment, somewhere between a conditioner and a mask - they also sell the version in the jar that is a mask but I've never tried it. If you want to stay cone free, the GF treat series is very popular, I recommend the banana flavor.

(The first mask I mentioned) https://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Conditioner-Over-Processed-Intensive-Meadowfoam/dp/B00UOLI6ME/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=neutrogena+hair+mask&qid=1562642223&s=pantry&sr=8-14

I have the It’s a 10 mask, at least I think its a mask. It comes in a round tub. It was way too much for my hair prior to the bleach, and its just been sitting in my bathroom closet. Maybe ill bring it out and try that. Im actually going to order that neutrogena one also.

MusicalSpoons
July 9th, 2019, 06:12 AM
Have you tried double conditioning, WCC or CWC? It's been hair-changing for me (though I am only growing out standard pre-LHC neglect, not 'real' damage). You can use any combination of conditioners and/or masks, cones and/or cone-free, or even use a particular conditioner that your hair likes twice. I personally find that CWC works amazingly when I leave the first C on for an hour or more before getting in the shower. Sometimes method is just as important as product :)

Sparkles122
July 9th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Have you tried double conditioning, WCC or CWC? It's been hair-changing for me (though I am only growing out standard pre-LHC neglect, not 'real' damage). You can use any combination of conditioners and/or masks, cones and/or cone-free, or even use a particular conditioner that your hair likes twice. I personally find that CWC works amazingly when I leave the first C on for an hour or more before getting in the shower. Sometimes method is just as important as product :)

I used to do the cwc when my hair was at its worst right after the damage occured. Maybe I should go back to that. I suppose after that incident my hair hasnt really felt fully hydrated since. I can really tell a difference in texture between my regrowth and the rest of my hair. Bleach is an awful thing, especially when you have someone careless using it.

PixieNixie
July 9th, 2019, 12:01 PM
I have double processed pastel pink hair. I do not use silicones at all. Why? Because they coat the hair and do not allow mositure to penetrate. Also because you need to a sulfate based shampoo to remove them which just dries out your hair even more. They also just mask damage. They do nothing to help actually fix it. As soon as you strip them out of your hair, the damage is still there. I find my hair just gets drier and frizzier with silicones partly due to them locking out the mositure and partly due to having to use harsher shampoos to remove and prevent buildup.

I alternate between a low poo shampoo and cowash. I use good conditioners and oils for slip. I use Olaplex and protien to repair damage.

BerrySara
July 9th, 2019, 12:59 PM
I have double processed pastel pink hair. I do not use silicones at all. Why? Because they coat the hair and do not allow mositure to penetrate. Also because you need to a sulfate based shampoo to remove them which just dries out your hair even more. They also just mask damage. They do nothing to help actually fix it. As soon as you strip them out of your hair, the damage is still there. I find my hair just gets drier and frizzier with silicones partly due to them locking out the mositure and partly due to having to use harsher shampoos to remove and prevent buildup.

I alternate between a low poo shampoo and cowash. I use good conditioners and oils for slip. I use Olaplex and protien to repair damage.

This rings true for my hair on many levels. Lately reading so many on here recommending silicones this and sulfates that, I figured I would try it and give it another chance after being sulfate free for 3 years.

Well 4 weeks later and counting.. after a single sulfate shampoo session and I cant get my hair to go back to its usual more hydrated state. For 4 weeks I have been doing heated mask treatments, oiling hair, daily re-wetting and applying moisture (I didn't have to do this except for day 5/6) and I am I still trying to recover. I am certain my texture has a lot to do with it, but sulfates truly dry out my hair making it brittle and now I get to desperately try to add moisture back in my hair.

I also tried silicones 4 weeks ago (and have many times in the past) and I have no issues with it per say. Hair was shiny and defined but the issue is build up. If I don't use sulfate shampoos, the silicone builds up over time and from past experience it does dry my hair out (coated strands blocks out moisture).

So in order to completely stay away from sulfate shampoos, I also mostly stay away from silicones in general.

I still clarify about once a month (Micellar Water based cleanser) for build up from curly creams and gels etc.

MusicalSpoons
July 9th, 2019, 02:10 PM
Depending on the formulation of the products, it's not always necessary to use sulphates to remove silicones http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/detergents-which-remove-silicones.html

I mean, if there is stubborn build-up to start with then yeah, you probably need the nuclear options, but if you're using the milder detergents every wash - especially if you actually shampoo your lengths (but not always necessary) - chances are you'll prevent any build-up to start with :)