PDA

View Full Version : Layers, feathered cuts and... Step cut?

leayellena
July 7th, 2019, 06:04 PM
I just wanted to know why people say layers make your hair voluminous and manageable... and "effortless" (what a gag btw) while the bottom half of my hair is a chore to detangle sometimes, "thanks" to layers.
After cca. an hour of research I stumbled upon a "new" type of haircut called step cut.
This step cut is supposed to give bounce (http://www.fashionindustrynetwork.com/m/blogpost?id=786233%3ABlogPost%3A1652951) (whatever this supposed to be anyway) to your hair, whereas layers are just some short hair strands to flatter your face or something.
I feel like when I had short hair I had almost curly hair, again thanks to layers, step cut or whatever chopped off mess people can do out of hair in general. Now that my hair grew at least to bsl/mbl (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98276) (bra strap to mid-back for people who are not familiar with the long hair community (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/)), I found out that my hair appears to be some kind of poofy straight (https://youtu.be/ZnfRJvWzzSE) instead of Shakira-wavy!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hXwxp26Y2Wk/XSJ401XTSXI/AAAAAAAAMFI/QHgFBGhOyOQNPKo_6yCbGOAqIxHwreTEQCLcBGAs/s320/Collage%2Bohne%2BTitel%25281%2529.jpg (https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hXwxp26Y2Wk/XSJ401XTSXI/AAAAAAAAMFI/QHgFBGhOyOQNPKo_6yCbGOAqIxHwreTEQCLcBGAs/s1600/Collage%2Bohne%2BTitel%25281%2529.jpg)

Dec. 2017, waist length. Straight 'till collarbone length, wavy length and kinda curly ends

I think this step cut is a combination (https://www.quora.com/Is-a-feather-cut-better-than-a-layer-cut) between layers and feathering aka thinning out hair. It doesn't matter how you cut it, just cut it in such a way it gives the appearance of omg effing megathick hair without "looking like a blanket" or like a cat lady (https://www.thelist.com/28880/hairstyles-age/). For me this is a paradox, sorry. I mean it's either you have thick hair or you have... medium or thin hair (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1985).
So my hair was texturised back when it was a long pixie (https://images.app.goo.gl/UaKKcc6RoYM7wiog7) in summer 2013. But how in the world was my hair cut? Was it actually a step cut with also minimal feathering? Or just step cut with minimal blending because of a short hair cut? I only remember my hairdresser part my hair in 4 parts: upper, lower and the sides, then used some thinning/texturing scissors and by the end of a rough blow fryin' er... drying... I mean blow drying my hair - already looked like I was a freshly hatched chicken (https://youtu.be/gfX5bLn-ZjY) with dizzy head because of how rough my hairdresser disheveled my hair: poor follicles hate to be messed up. I have a somewhat sensitive scalp I guess (?)
I tend to believe my haircut was basically a step cut. My hair used to curl and it still does on the bottom half. All in all this article (https://www.frankiecochrane.com/is-step-cut-or-layered-cut-better-for-wavy-hair/amp/) explains exactly how my hair behaves. It was also a huge v (https://www.hairstylescut.com/advice/stepcut-layeredcut.htm) until I started microtrimming half a year in 2017 and another half a year in 2018. Unfortunately there is no difference after such a short time of trimming and letting my hair grow. It grows with these "curls" until I cut them completely. Plus, my hair will thin out much when it will reach terminal length so I think I will have some textured ends. Hopefully not as bad as now though... All in all this article (https://www.frankiecochrane.com/is-step-cut-or-layered-cut-better-for-wavy-hair/amp/) explains exactly how my hair behaves.

PS: for LHC, it may be fun if hairdressers unite to help people who still visit hairdressing salons and complain about a bad haircut or a "trim". I would like my thread to be helpful and gather clients and hairdressers alike in order to better understand how to communicate regarding hairstyles in general. Many people complain that they don't understand what their hairdressers did with their hair, so let my thread be a glossary and a helpful thread full of pictures, video tutorials, discussions and articles about hairstyles and hairdressing.
Let's have fun learning more about our hair... Style :blossom::cool::o

Simsy
July 8th, 2019, 06:09 AM
The thing about layers is they’re supposed to thin your hair. That’s the trick; thinner hair moves a bit easier, has less weight holding down or against your scalp. That’s what layers do. A lot of people want thick hair before they fully understand how flat it can sit simply due to the weight of the hair on top pinning and flattening the hair underneath. For certain hair types, the layers can make a difference; allowing the underside to curl and move a little easier. “Bounce” is just stylist-speak for hair that moves when you walk or move your head. Your hair will do that even when long or thick; it will just be the ends bouncing around and getting into strife instead of the whole length. Layers are good for reducing a little weight off the overall amount; but it won’t magically give you shampoo-commercial hair.

The feathering is more to thin blunt ends and make them look less “cut” and more “grew that way”; you see a similar technique on bang cutting videos; wouldn’t surprise me if they used to to give your pixie cut more of a natural feel. You get something similar on ends left to grow out and get a little uneven; it’s the beginnings of fairytale ends as far as I’m aware.

TBH, a bounce cut just sounds like a way to add a few zeros to a layered cut; layers are just shorter sections. Where you put them depends on the the cut and look you are attempting to achieve; where they end up is reliant on your hair texture and length.

I have natural Shirley Temple ringlets; to the point where a mullet was curly enough to look like a pixie. It stayed pixie length until almost shoulder, at which point the curls started to stretch slightly on the scalp. Now only the bottom third curls and the ringlets are much looser than they were. Texture can also change; one of my sisters went from a 2a/b to almost a 4 when she hit puberty. Old damage or hormone changes can alter texture as well; pregnancy, menopause, even stress can all have an effect.
One trick I did pick up from a thread here some time ago was to demonstrate exactly how much you want trimmed off the end by holding them and showing where to cut. I feel like it would work better in budget salons where they aren’t trying anything fancy or time-consuming; and as long as your ends are in reasonable condition. Being perfectly clear about what you want down and monitoring the tools being picked up should slow the worst deviations before too much is cut.

lapushka
July 8th, 2019, 06:56 AM
I have layers (see signature). There's absolutely no need to be so negative on them. I know they might not work for you but that doesn't mean they don't work for other people. I am really glad to have layers or I would not even have progressed beyond waist length. :flower:

leayellena
July 8th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Great explanation Simsy! Yes, everything you described fits on my last haircut and my fairytale ends.
Lapushka, I already stated that I hate how unnatural a haircut looks on ME. I am ok with people doing whatever they want, hence why I don't respond to their rants anymore. I just wanted to create a kind of glossary-thread with different hairstyles and how it "modifies" hair type. As also stated in my original post, many people don't know those hairdressing therms and come out of a hairdressing salon with a totally different hairstyle that don't know anything about. I mean if that hairdresser didn't deign to help (or didn't have time or...) maybe LHC can. We have a lot of threads for hair type, for hair lengths, for color lovers, for shorties, even growing out the bleach and the dye or even COMPLAIN ABOUT layers... But we don't have any thread for professional hairstyles, at least I didn't find it.

lapushka
July 8th, 2019, 02:03 PM
I only remember my hairdresser part my hair in 4 parts: upper, lower and the sides, then used some thinning/texturing scissors and by the end of a rough blow fryin' er... drying... I mean blow drying my hair - already looked like I was a freshly hatched chicken (https://youtu.be/gfX5bLn-ZjY) with dizzy head because of how rough my hairdresser disheveled my hair: poor follicles hate to be messed up. I have a somewhat sensitive scalp I guess (?)[/FONT][/COLOR]

I watched that video. That hairstyle = cute. Why do you call it "a freshly hatched chicken"?

I thought you wanted to gather hairstyles here? For real, for professional.

leayellena
July 9th, 2019, 01:56 AM
I watched that video. That hairstyle = cute. Why do you call it "a freshly hatched chicken"?

I thought you wanted to gather hairstyles here? For real, for professional.

I looked like a chicken back then lol. Sorry but I hate messy hair on me . My hair felt natural to me when it hit mbl. At mbl I could give up trichotillomania, my hair was smooth, easy to be combed, and it didn't create those devil horns anymore.
Yes, I'd like to allow people especially those experienced in hairstyles and hairdressing to create a list with different types of haircuts so people who visit salons know what to ask for.
There are a lot of people who as for a trim and come out with a layered haircut that curls all over the place. Hairdressers call trim anything that is appearing as damaged while LHC calls trim any cut from the bottom that's less than 6-10 cm. Then hairdressers say: you should have asked for a dusting, not a trim.

Obsidian
July 9th, 2019, 05:25 AM
Thats why you don't give vague directions to a stylist. Precise instructions with the exact amount you want cut, the type of hemline you want and pictures help a ton.

Of course no amount of explaining or style names will help if you get a terrible stylist who decides to do what they want or is just plain bad at cutting hair.

Wendyclaire
July 9th, 2019, 10:46 AM
Well now I’m confused because I thought layers were a big no no here on LHC. I would have to constantly see a hair dresser to keep long hair looking good . Not for me!

Khristopher
July 9th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Well now I’m confused because I thought layers were a big no no here on LHC. I would have to constantly see a hair dresser to keep long hair looking good . Not for me!

Well, there's a bit of truth on layers not being a big thing on here, and that's because doing protective styles is so much easier and effective with one-length hair. Also, many stylist will give you layers/feathering using razors, and that's asking for splits ends sooner or later. It's not that layers are bad, to be honest I love the look! But as you say, you need to keep up with the hairdresser visits if you want to maintain them, and styling is kind of a hassle. Doesn't mean you can't do them if you really like the style tough!

spidermom
July 9th, 2019, 10:05 PM
Layers do make some hair types look thicker. My SIL has straight hair that is probably about ii in thickness. Without layers it hangs so closely to her scalp that her ears stick out through it. Layers lighten it up so that it fluffs up more and covers her ears. I have thick wavy hair and like layers for the added texture.

lapushka
July 10th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Some people like layers (me, see signature), and others don't. It is a YMMV thing (your mileage may vary), like a lot of things are on the LHC. Different strokes for different folks. :)

leayellena
July 10th, 2019, 02:03 PM

It seems to me LHC newly encourage "change" aka the chop and hairdressers. Far too many times threads like chin to shoulder and apl pop up into the main forum. It seems like the word "hairdresser" is triggering people... Ok. I'll be good. I'll never say the word. I don't want my account deactivated please. I'm good, I promise.

Spidermom, I swear my hair looked like Shakira's only it was much shorter of course. And now it's 1b on top and 1c from cbl to mbl. Then it's clumpy wannabe 1c/2a on the sides and then again 1c on my very longest layer I trimmed last year. Too much of the "good thing" can actually make you not understanding your own hair. I remember my mom telling me I have wavy hair because a hairdresser gave me the lady Diana haircut. While it looked very nice on lady di, I looked like a newborn. Then my grandmother told me I have straight boring thin fine hair and needs volume. Hello the 90's. Then the I woke up like this gag came in 2013 and I thought I had wavy-curly frizzy hair. Yay! What?!
Lapushka people asked me why I don't cut my hair to fluff it a bit. No thanks, I'm tired of having nothing to do but having appointments... I'm saving the nerves. I think hair "layers" somehow the longer it gets. I mean the braid tapers or it thins the longer it gets... Oh and I saw so many comments on YouTube like "which haircut is that", "I want that haircut" but they don't know what to ask for, hairdressers can't exactly recreate that hairstyle in the video and people are dissatisfied. Thought a thread like this one would help...

lapushka
July 10th, 2019, 02:21 PM
It seems to me LHC newly encourage "change" aka the chop and hairdressers. Far too many times threads like chin to shoulder and apl pop up into the main forum. It seems like the word "hairdresser" is triggering people... Ok. I'll be good. I'll never say the word. I don't want my account deactivated please. I'm good, I promise.

Spidermom, I swear my hair looked like Shakira's only it was much shorter of course. And now it's 1b on top and 1c from cbl to mbl. Then it's clumpy wannabe 1c/2a on the sides and then again 1c on my very longest layer I trimmed last year. Too much of the "good thing" can actually make you not understanding your own hair. I remember my mom telling me I have wavy hair because a hairdresser gave me the lady Diana haircut. While it looked very nice on lady di, I looked like a newborn. Then my grandmother told me I have straight boring thin fine hair and needs volume. Hello the 90's. Then the I woke up like this gag came in 2013 and I thought I had wavy-curly frizzy hair. Yay! What?!
Lapushka people asked me why I don't cut my hair to fluff it a bit. No thanks, I'm tired of having nothing to do but having appointments... I'm saving the nerves. I think hair "layers" somehow the longer it gets. I mean the braid tapers or it thins the longer it gets... Oh and I saw so many comments on YouTube like "which haircut is that", "I want that haircut" but they don't know what to ask for, hairdressers can't exactly recreate that hairstyle in the video and people are dissatisfied. Thought a thread like this one would help...

I just wanted to say this...

LHC has become a YMMV place (your mileage may vary), welcoming all lengths, after all, everyone has to start somewhere. I know my journey was difficult at first. In the very beginning, I still chopped and dyed and if it weren't for my persistence and this place's persistence, then I would be nowhere now. So I am glad it is welcoming of *all*. :flower:

spidermom
July 10th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Many of us have been here for such a long time that we’ve grown to extreme lengths, got tired of it, and grew (or are growing) again or maintaining the shorter haircut because we still like it that way. We’ve still learned and can share a lot of long hair care tips.

There are so many sites out there for finding the haircut you want that come complete with pictures. I think those sites are more useful for what you describe than talking about what different hair styling terms mean, not that I’m discouraging discussion.

On another note, it sounds like you’re saying hair stylists can cut hair into different textures, like straight hair can be made wavy with a haircut. Am I misunderstanding? I think a haircut can make the most of the texture that you already have, but it can’t give you a different texture.

S&S
July 10th, 2019, 05:16 PM
Layers did give my hair more of a bounce depending on how I styled it and definitely more "poofy" when I wore my hair curly.

However, I absolutely hate them! The last time I let a hairdresser convince me my hair was flat and lacked style (because she couldn't blow dry a 'style' into it properly) was 2 years ago and I have FINALLY grown out of all those layers. Never ever again... I am only doing blunt straight cuts now because I love how it looks when my hair is straightened and I love how it feels thick and healthy.

To each their own :toast:

leayellena
July 11th, 2019, 01:37 PM
I just wanted to say this...

LHC has become a YMMV place (your mileage may vary), welcoming all lengths, after all, everyone has to start somewhere. I know my journey was difficult at first. In the very beginning, I still chopped and dyed and if it weren't for my persistence and this place's persistence, then I would be nowhere now. So I am glad it is welcoming of *all*. :flower:
Few days ago I read the story of LHC cheese. Your comment reminds me of the story. Thx. Cheese is just as good as peace hihi

There are so many sites out there for finding the haircut you want that come complete with pictures. I think those sites are more useful for what you describe than talking about what different hair styling terms mean, not that I’m discouraging discussion.

On another note, it sounds like you’re saying hair stylists can cut hair into different textures, like straight hair can be made wavy with a haircut. Am I misunderstanding? I think a haircut can make the most of the texture that you already have, but it can’t give you a different texture.
- I didn't find any of such sites. If so, sorry for this post. Oops! :)

Yes exactly what I'm saying! From straight hair to go wavy with a haircut what the... Yes now I see it's possible. I tried to straighten my waves before LHC and it ended up in breakage. Now I let it be or oil it to defrizz and detangle it.

Layers did give my hair more of a bounce depending on how I styled it and definitely more "poofy" when I wore my hair curly.

However, I absolutely hate them! The last time I let a hairdresser convince me my hair was flat and lacked style (because she couldn't blow dry a 'style' into it properly) was 2 years ago and I have FINALLY grown out of all those layers. Never ever again... I am only doing blunt straight cuts now because I love how it looks when my hair is straightened and I love how it feels thick and healthy.

To each their own :toast:
Kristopher,
My hair is not generally poofy, even when layered. It's sleek well kinda but it clumps so much I risk more breakage if I try to style it. It's like you curled fine hair. It's still sleek but if you comb through to break those curls and beach wave your hair you actually break your hair.

Probably my family should let my hair be for a year, no layers, no blow drying... Then I could understand my hair. But no, style style style like you are royalty or something. Just. Sad.

_anya
July 11th, 2019, 02:28 PM
I’ve only had one hairstylist who told me layers are wrong for my hair and i agree. Every other stylist has always wanted to chop in layers into my hair to “add volume” because I have such baby fine hair. Yes, it looks good when they’ve styled it and it’s been freshly cut, but once it’s in my hands it looks even thinner and lanker and too wispy with too many “pieces”. My hair tends to be very straight in the front ends by my face and somewhat straight on top the rest of the way around, however the underside is quite wavy, especially the shorter the hair. When it’s long, BSL, it tends to be more evenly straight. Layers I’ve had just don’t seem to work well for my 2-type hair and with cowlicks, it’s always been irritating to style unless I spend a lot of time doing a blowout which I suck at and try to avoid heat in general.
I’ve come to the conclusion that I do need to get periodic trims but nothing more for now.
Don’t even get me started on all the “natural layering” I gave myself last autumn when Velcro ripped out a bunch of my hair and now as it grows out it looks like a bad feathering job. Lol.
Of course, layers look fantastic and work great for many people. And, perhaps, the stylists who did cut layers, didn’t understand my hair and/or did a subpar job. IMHO.

lapushka
July 11th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Few days ago I read the story of LHC cheese. Your comment reminds me of the story. Thx. Cheese is just as good as peace hihi

I don't get it. I gave a serious reply of my struggles when I first got here. What does this have to do with it? :shrug:

S&S
July 11th, 2019, 02:46 PM
I don't get it. I gave a serious reply of my struggles when I first got here. What does this have to do with it? :shrug:

Right? I don't either... and who is Kristopher, leayellena ... :rolleyes:

S&S
July 11th, 2019, 02:46 PM
I’ve only had one hairstylist who told me layers are wrong for my hair and i agree. Every other stylist has always wanted to chop in layers into my hair to “add volume” because I have such baby fine hair. Yes, it looks good when they’ve styled it and it’s been freshly cut, but once it’s in my hands it looks even thinner and lanker and too wispy with too many “pieces”. .

Yeap, agreed.

Orionis
July 11th, 2019, 02:50 PM
I currently have layers in my hair (I think 5 in total) and my wavy hair looks so much better with them in! I appreciate that having certain bun styles or braids might me tricky but I don't like how my hair looks without them when I wear my hair down. My hair is thicker too so that might be why layers help it maintain a style.

I think I'm going to try wearing my layers a little longer and see how they look as my length increases but right now even with layers I can do a doughnut bun and my ends are tucked away safely.

I've seen some youtube videos for cutting layers into hair and they don't seem so difficult to maintain! In fact, it looked really easy but until I've tried I could totally be wrong! I've vowed not to go to a hairdresser's for a cut ever again so I've been studying the videos pretty hard!!

Anyway, I love my layers and once I get enough privileges to share a photo on this thread I'll show you what I mean! (no idea if I can do that yet or if I have those privileges yet). :eye:

Just wanted to encourage those whose style looks better with them like me but each to their own of course! Whatever suits you and whatever you prefer! :cheer:

Wendyclaire
July 11th, 2019, 03:25 PM
There is a lot of confusion because most of us land here because we want long or extraordinarily long hair. A lot of layers are extremely difficult to keep up. But with all these short hair posts, now it should just be called “hair community “.

lapushka
July 11th, 2019, 03:48 PM
There is a lot of confusion because most of us land here because we want long or extraordinarily long hair. A lot of layers are extremely difficult to keep up. But with all these short hair posts, now it should just be called “hair community “.

We had that discussion once before and it got people nowhere. And why is it that these discussions are typically not started by those with extreme lengths (they tend to welcome all of us, thank goodness)? ;)

Wendyclaire
July 11th, 2019, 04:07 PM
We had that discussion once before and it got people nowhere. And why is it that these discussions are typically not started by those with extreme lengths (they tend to welcome all of us, thank goodness)? ;)
Well maybe. Online, there’s no way to know who’s who or if pictures are real or if advice is good, but I remember that thread when someone brought the question up about moving hair topics that had nothing to do about long hair or growing hair and it wasn’t received well. It doesn’t matter, I just don’t go there.

MusicalSpoons
July 11th, 2019, 04:19 PM

I seem to recall during that last discussion, most of the longest-haired members (thinking especially of members belonging to the knee+ and floor+ threads at the time) are very happy to have hair of all lengths here! [And I have to say, my heart sunk when I saw the beginnings of this kind of discussion once again :shake:]

I for one am glad for all the different perspectives here; I myself can hardly help with style ideas for shorter than TBL because I didn't learn protective styling before that (and it took some time to become proficient with basic styles and different hairtoys), I don't remember what it was like having hair shorter than hip, and I've never had heat or chemical damage to grow out. Pretty much everything I know about hair and hair care I learned from others here, many with shorter hair than mine - so I am able to give some advice, but often not from experience.

If this were some exclusive club of virgin-haired certain-length+, and nobody to really help shorter-haired people actively trying to grow or just look after their hair better, what would be the point?!

Back on topic: actually I think this thread is a good idea - upon reading, I thought the OP was somewhat unclear but having clarified the purpose of the thread, I think it can be useful. Existing sites with 'how to ask your hairdresser for what you want' invariably won't care about preserving length, but most of us here do. Those needing or wanting to go to the hairdresser will be much happier if they come out with the style *and length* they desire! We've had so many hairdresser disaster posts that there clearly is a need for it, just it might have been better received if the intention was clear from the outset :)

I'm actually not sure how to ask for a U hemline if I go to our usual hairdresser for a trim next year, so I can't imagine trying to navigate anything more complicated!

Chromis
July 11th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Layer your hair or don't. It makes no difference to us. Also you can mention hair stylists. Just keep feeding us cheese and we are pretty happy mods.

Having a thread for longhairs to discuss the different sorts of layered styles seems just fine to me. After all cutting layers on tailbone length hair seems like it might be different than on shorter hair, eh? If you want to discuss it on shorter hair, though too have at it. Go nuts. For those wondering why you would do that on a Long hair forum, well we have plenty of members who are still growing hair and might want less damaging layers. Edgy razor cut styles are probably not going to be their best option either.

I personally had no idea there were different sorts of layers. Then again I hate layers. My hemline needs all those hairs! Maybe you like them or have unicorn hairs, rock on with those layers friends.

Liz_H
July 11th, 2019, 11:02 PM
I cut deep layers onto my hair last fall, along with about 4 inches from the longest ends.

Liz_H
July 11th, 2019, 11:57 PM
There is a simple method for self cutting layers on your hair, with several YouTube videos. If you start with all one length, it definitely removes a lot of hair. I did this last fall, and ended up with a very pronounced V hemline.

I think there are other ways on YouTube besides this ponytailed method.

For some reason, I'm having trouble with the link. If you search YouTube with this string, it's the first one up.

Best hair hack cut bebexo

LongHairCalif
July 12th, 2019, 01:32 AM
I have noticed many Indian women with long hair who post photographs on social media, or who are featured in long hair YouTube videos, often have bangs and long layers.

Orionis
July 12th, 2019, 03:00 AM
I have noticed many Indian women with long hair who post photographs on social media, or who are featured in long hair YouTube videos, often have bangs and long layers.

I don't know if there's anything in the hair texture that makes it easier? I have Indian hair and I'll be curious to see how mine copes with the layers as length increases.

lapushka
July 12th, 2019, 06:22 AM
I personally had no idea there were different sorts of layers. Then again I hate layers. My hemline needs all those hairs! Maybe you like them or have unicorn hairs, rock on with those layers friends.

Oh don't get me started. When I was 15/16, I discovered an 80s instruction leaflet on cutting the hair into layers. From the sides down was a cut I regularly did, so holding it out, divided into two in a ponytail ear height to the side, and then cutting a chunk off. I did that.

I was like that, I experimented.

I have compact cut layers now (see signature), and I'm fine with that, but with iii hair it gets tricky for me personally beyond waist. And so I cut some ponytail on the forehead layers into it.

They kinda suit me; they're "me". I like 'em.

But I do admire so much the ladies who can do one length at my thickness and long lengths, like ligeia for instance, and gossamer, and eresh, and sarahlabyrinth, and you as well Chromis. It is a style like any other!!!

As is mine, and I think we have room enough for both.

Some like layers, others do not. Sometimes it's easier to carry and distribute the weight of the hair (for me).

And... cheese too. ;) :p I'll just go along with that. LOL!

LongHairCalif
July 12th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Indian women have some of the most beautiful hair in the world. I learned all m henna techniques and tips years ago from watching and reading posts by Indian women. There is also a really cool Pakistani hair blog about henna.

lapushka
July 12th, 2019, 03:53 PM
Indian women have some of the most beautiful hair in the world. I learned all m henna techniques and tips years ago from watching and reading posts by Indian women. There is also a really cool Pakistani hair blog about henna.

Mind linking the blog? :)

LongHairCalif
July 12th, 2019, 06:19 PM
I looked at it some more, I think it is a blog connected to a site selling henna in Portland, Oregon. I was just not sure if we are supposed to link to sites like this, but the writer did have some good tips sharing her knowledge of Pakistani henna traditions.

leayellena
July 12th, 2019, 11:39 PM
Back on topic: actually I think this thread is a good idea - upon reading, I thought the OP was somewhat unclear but having clarified the purpose of the thread, I think it can be useful. Existing sites with 'how to ask your hairdresser for what you want' invariably won't care about preserving length, but most of us here do. Those needing or wanting to go to the hairdresser will be much happier if they come out with the style *and length* they desire! We've had so many hairdresser disaster posts that there clearly is a need for it, just it might have been better received if the intention was clear from the outset :)

I'm actually not sure how to ask for a U hemline if I go to our usual hairdresser for a trim next year, so I can't imagine trying to navigate anything more complicated!

yes, exactly!
you can bring a photo with a u hemline but I can't guarantee for hairdressers these days.

Orionis, either the coarseness or the're really kinda wavies. or both.

Orionis
July 13th, 2019, 06:43 AM
yes, exactly!
you can bring a photo with a u hemline but I can't guarantee for hairdressers these days.

Orionis, either the coarseness or the're really kinda wavies. or both.

Leayellena, yes mine is wavy minus the coarseness. My sister has dead straight Pochahontas-like hair that she gets from our father. Hers isn't coarse though so there's a greater spectrum.