PDA

View Full Version : Help determining hair type

gin
July 7th, 2019, 01:41 PM
I've been reading about hair typing recently. I'm pretty sure I'm 1a or 1b, just not sure which one (or if there's an in between). Yesterday I was able to let my hair air dry with minimal to no touching/manipulation and took a photo when it was dry. What do you guys think?

Link to photo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AzzxIfZloVGRo5f5LfmQdo7UwmxKbRVM/view?usp=sharing

(I don't know how to embed a photo into the actual post. I'm new to the forum so maybe I'm not allowed to yet!)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AzzxIfZloVGRo5f5LfmQdo7UwmxKbRVMhttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1AzzxIfZloVGRo5f5LfmQdo7UwmxKbRVMhttps://imgur.com/a/kW51ezi

gin
July 7th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Also, one more question I forgot to add - would my length be considered waist? Or am I not quite there yet?

lapushka
July 7th, 2019, 03:07 PM
I think that's 1a (maaaybe 1a/b) and that is for sure past waist.

TreesOfEternity
July 7th, 2019, 03:09 PM
If you didn’t comb it I’d go with 1a without a doubt

gin
July 7th, 2019, 03:21 PM
I think that's 1a (maaaybe 1a/b) and that is for sure past waist.

Thanks! I've always never been sure where the waist is exactly. :)

If you didn’t comb it I’d go with 1a without a doubt

I did finger comb it before towel drying, not sure if that changes anything?

lithostoic
July 7th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Finger combing counts as manipulation. So does towel drying. Therefore this is not a proper hairtyping pic. Wet hair, get out of the shower, and DO NOT TOUCH at all. It makes a huge difference. My hair is wavy and if I did what you did, it would look like your pic.

gin
July 7th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Finger combing counts as manipulation. So does towel drying. Therefore this is not a proper hairtyping pic. Wet hair, get out of the shower, and DO NOT TOUCH at all. It makes a huge difference. My hair is wavy and if I did what you did, it would look like your pic.

What about squeezing water out with a towel? Or at least squeezing water out in general? If that counts then I'll probably just not ever know for sure, because there's no way I can let my wet hair drip all over the place all day.

lapushka
July 7th, 2019, 03:37 PM
What about squeezing water out with a towel? Or at least squeezing water out in general? If that counts then I'll probably just not ever know for sure, because there's no way I can let my wet hair drip all over the place all day.

When I did mine, I washed, conditioned, wrung out water (squeegeed it out gently), then put it into a towel, then let the towel down after about 10 min. and let it go.

gin
July 7th, 2019, 03:39 PM
When I did mine, I washed, conditioned, wrung out water (squeegeed it out gently), then put it into a towel, then let the towel down after about 10 min. and let it go.

OK, this is what I did yesterday, with the finger combing before putting it up in the towel. Well, I kept it up in the towel for 30 minutes, so it could dry faster. :)

gin
July 7th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Also, I'm guessing this means leave in conditioner is also out of the question for this test?

MusicalSpoons
July 7th, 2019, 03:47 PM
Hmm, I think the finger-combing *might* have influenced, if it was after squeezing the water out. (If it was before, no problem.)

Judging by this photo I would say 1a/b, because I don't think true 1a clumps quite like that - but I could be wrong. The 1a photos I've seen the hair hangs like a sheet, regardless of the strand type (fine/medium/coarse).

gin
July 7th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Hmm, I think the finger-combing *might* have influenced, if it was after squeezing the water out. (If it was before, no problem.)

Judging by this photo I would say 1a/b, because I don't think true 1a clumps quite like that - but I could be wrong. The 1a photos I've seen the hair hangs like a sheet, regardless of the strand type (fine/medium/coarse).

Thanks for the insight! I'll definitely try to do this test again with this new info, might be little while since most wash days require me to make sure my hair is out of my face. :)
FYI, off topic, but the hairpiece in your avatar photo is beautiful!

MusicalSpoons
July 7th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the insight! I'll definitely try to do this test again with this new info, might be little while since most wash days require me to make sure my hair is out of my face. :)
FYI, off topic, but the hairpiece in your avatar photo is beautiful!

I understand - hair typing pics are quite a hassle for many of us, for various reasons :)
Thank you! It's a flexi-8 I got off the Swap Board :D

lapushka
July 7th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Also, I'm guessing this means leave in conditioner is also out of the question for this test?

Yep. It is. :)

Ligeia Noire
July 7th, 2019, 05:06 PM
I think that's a pretty obvious 1a... I don't think the towel drying or the light finger combing made much of a difference. Gorgeous hair.

GrowlingCupcake
July 7th, 2019, 06:17 PM
I think that's a pretty obvious 1a... I don't think the towel drying or the light finger combing made much of a difference. Gorgeous hair.

I agree with the towel drying/finger combing bit. It's 1a or 1b for sure.

Even if I finger comb my 2a hair, brush it straight while it's wet, and towel dry, I can't get hair that straight. And mine is on the just 2a side in my opinion.

ETA: I don't think leave-ins would affect it much either.

That said, a proper hair typing picture sounds like a good idea.

gin
July 7th, 2019, 07:17 PM

Thanks! :)

gin
July 7th, 2019, 07:18 PM
I agree with the towel drying/finger combing bit. It's 1a or 1b for sure.

Even if I finger comb my 2a hair, brush it straight while it's wet, and towel dry, I can't get hair that straight. And mine is on the just 2a side in my opinion.

ETA: I don't think leave-ins would affect it much either.

That said, a proper hair typing picture sounds like a good idea.

Good to know! I'll be sure to update this thread the next time I get around to this test and see if there's a difference.

Cg
July 8th, 2019, 07:50 AM
This looks more like 1b hair to me. The bottom edges do curl ever so slightly over the shorter hairs. 1a hair does not curl by itself, ever.

Spikey
July 8th, 2019, 08:36 PM
I'd say 1a. The edge "curling" is minute. It's much closer to 1a than it is to 1b, and with most of your hair being so bone-straight, what you do for a hair typing pic is not going to matter as much as it does for wavies and curlies. People with wavy or curly hair see a huge texture difference using conditioner or finger combing, so they do need to be very strict and not manipulate thier hair whatsoever to see it's true texture. You, however, have no "texture" to alter so the test you already did is probably fine.

And nice hair! It looks very thick and healthy.:)

gin
July 8th, 2019, 08:44 PM
I'd say 1a. The edge "curling" is minute. It's much closer to 1a than it is to 1b, and with most of your hair being so bone-straight, what you do for a hair typing pic is not going to matter as much as it does for wavies and curlies. People with wavy or curly hair see a huge texture difference using conditioner or finger combing, so they do need to be very strict and not manipulate thier hair whatsoever to see it's true texture. You, however, have no "texture" to alter so the test you already did is probably fine.

And nice hair! It looks very thick and healthy.:)

Thanks! And thanks to everyone for your input!

gin
July 14th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Alright guys, I did the test again today but no finger detangling or anything! I just squeezed water out with a towel then put it up in the towel for 30min, then let out to dry. I had to touch a little bit near my forehead to get it out of my face a couple times and also pushed on my scalp a few times to alleviate a small itch or two, but that's about it as far as I can remember.

https://i.imgur.com/q8f2qRE.png

I don't see much of a difference, outside of a few more tangles? :) What do you guys think now that I've done this properly (I hope)?

GrowlingCupcake
July 14th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Seems very much 1a to me.

Lovely hair :)

Dark40
July 14th, 2019, 03:33 PM
I agree with lapushka and TreesOfEternity that your hair is type definitely 1a, and that it is pass waist length. I would say it's hip length.

Ligeia Noire
July 14th, 2019, 03:46 PM
It is a striking pure 1a, in my opinion, there was no need for the hassle of another picture, as you can see, it is still the same. Regardless, it is beautiful.

elise.autumn
July 14th, 2019, 05:27 PM
So pretty, straight, and shiny. Wavies and curlies, like lots of us, can't make our hair look like yours - enjoy it! Not that one type is better than the other, if all hair looked the same, that would be dull. You just get to own one end of the straight/curl spectrum.

gin
July 14th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses! I didn't mind doing the test again, honestly. I'm thoroughly surprised how straight and "organized" my hair ended up without the detangling. I thought I was going to have more knots and tangles and just general unruliness, but really there wasn't much difference between detangling and not. Learned something new about my hair and hair in general!