PDA

View Full Version : Organix/OGX hair care products?

starrycosmonaut
July 6th, 2019, 09:41 PM
hey guys!!!! i'm really new to this forum-- I had long hair for quite a while after staying away from salons as much as possible and then had a Big Chop about three years back, in which I was experimenting with styles for a while; now I'm trying to get back to classic long hair. I have decided to let it grow out with as little trims as physically possible, the way I did when I was in middle school (I have now recently graduated college)

The problem with my long hair was that I had a hard time actually taking care of it properly for most of my time having it. Right now, I'm trying to make as fresh of a start as I can. I haven't used heat on my hair, products (gel, leave-in conditioners) in quite some time, and make a habit of never dying it and trying to damage it as little as possible. But I have a hard time finding a conditioner to use on my minimal length right now? It is chin-length, 2c F?/M brown hair. I usually go 2-3 days in between shampooing and using water on it, sometimes more. For a while I wasn't using any conditioner, just a 2-in-1 Head and Shoulders shampoo on my scalp. Then, I dug through my cabinet and found an OGX 'renewing argan oil of morocco' conditioner--I feel like using it on my length after I shampoo makes my hair look very nice, but I also feel that it causes some hair fall. I'm not sure if this is normal or not? I have an OGX argan oil of morocco intense moisturizing treatment that I used as a deep conditioner once upon a time, but I felt like that caused an even more significant amount of hair fall than I normally notice in the shower nowadays?

I know that keeping my ends well-maintained, especially if I'm planning on avoiding trims as much as possible, is really important to my journey in achieving length again! i just want to make sure I find the right products for my hair, or the right methods for caring for my hair... if anyone has any wisdom or advice, please let me know ;w; it is so very appreciated !!

mwallingford
July 6th, 2019, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the forum! :flowers:

I understand not wanting to use heat on your hair (for very good reason since it can be incredibly damaging), but may I ask why you're avoiding leave in conditioners? As in, is it just a preference due to weighing your hair down too much etc? Many people here find leave ins to be very useful for providing more moisture and care for the ends.

Conditioner is good for just about any length of hair. As for increased hair shedding, do you put conditioner just on the length of your hair, or also on your scalp? Some people (myself included) experience increased shedding when conditioners/oils are placed on the scalp.

As for advice, I would recommend trying a variety of different techniques/products to find what works best for your hair and scalp and the sticking with what works best for you. Try to baby your ends as much as you're able (perhaps look into a peacock twist and/or updos as your hair grows). Your curly hair may appreciate a lot of moisture that many people experience with the Rinse Out Oil method (ROO), Liquid Oil Cream method (LOC), pre-shampoo oiling such as with coconut oil, or Conditioner Only washing, but all of those depend on the individual.

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with information! Everyone on this forum is very kind and helpful and if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

leafygreens18
July 6th, 2019, 10:27 PM
I used to use OGX argan oil and did experience more hair fall if I used it on my scalp. I get the same thing with my pre wash oil treatments if I put them on my scalp. I've since stopped using OGX as I'm a curly and I only use silicon free conditioners! try focusing it on your ends (no matter your length).

And as mwallingford said! experiment. It seems you're a curly girl as well! Check out the curly girl method! Consider switching to a sulfate and silicon free routine! Try CWC! Document your results!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
July 7th, 2019, 12:50 AM
Hi!

Most people cannot put conditioner on their scalp as it encourages more shedding than normal. The general rule is shampoo on scalp conditioner on length.
Good luck.

starrycosmonaut
July 7th, 2019, 10:12 AM
Thank you all so much for your helpful replies!!!!!! It means a lot to me, and it is really informative!! And i feel very welcomed, so thank you all so much~! :o:heartbeat
@mwallingford I actually was afraid of my hair being weighed down by leave-in conditioners, just as you guessed~! But, as everyone with similar hair-types are suggesting, moisture is surely better for my hair than anything else~!
I will make sure to focus my conditioner on my length and not my scalp~! @leafygreens18 the CWC method seems like a very gentle and effective way to wash my hair, and I will try it on my next wash day and let you all know how it goes~!!!
Thank you all again!!

lithostoic
July 7th, 2019, 11:26 AM
OGX made my hair fall out. I used it while on vacation and lost a considerable amount of hair. Even when I used only the shampoo.

Switched to Shea Moisture and haven't had a major shed in 3 years. And yes I use the conditioner on my scalp.

leafygreens18
July 7th, 2019, 11:41 AM
OGX made my hair fall out. I used it while on vacation and lost a considerable amount of hair. Even when I used only the shampoo.

Switched to Shea Moisture and haven't had a major shed in 3 years. And yes I use the conditioner on my scalp.

I can confirm! Shea Moisture definitely reduced my shedding! I haven't tried much, just the two products I currently use. I can at least say that I don't get much shedding with the 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Conditioner, but it may be kind of heavy on fine hair (it can be on mine). The Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo feels just like regular shampoo even though it's sulfate free (except its a bit thinner) but it lathers up just the same! I don't have too much shedding with that either.

Reservechic
July 7th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Experiences with products will always vary from person to person. However, their line hasn't been very good to my hair at all, from what I've personally experienced. Their Coconut Milk Shampoo, Coconut Milk Conditioner, Coconut Hair Serum, Vitamin B Shampoo, Vitamin B Conditioner, and there's a hair creme from them for curly hair that I had tried in the past (that comes in a brown jar) that just was all straight up awful for my hair. They have come out with new products since then, as they're always more new stuff on the regular, but I haven't had the urge to try any of their newer products, because I have come to find products in regards to cleansers, conditioners, and styler, that work better for my hair than any of what I had tried from OGX. My hair went through lots of moisture loss, major shedding, and much more and it just never was going to get any better, until I had decided to move on.

However, I should have paid more attention to the ingredients in the products, versus just being super eager to try them at the time, because they were OGX products. My hair doesn't do well at all with sulfates and using products with silicones in them on a regular basis is just to much for my hair and scalp. Plus, there's quite a number of their regular rinse-out conditioners that contain Alcohol in them. My hair and scalp doesn't react well to any regular rinse out conditioner with Alcohol in it. I have found that out the hard way unfortunately.

I know that the brand is a very popular drugstore brand because of the products being super affordable, and before they were OGX, they were Organix, and were touting their products as being organic and 100% natural, with no harsh chemicals in gem, but they were forced to change the brand name, because of a mass lawsuit that came out against many companies making false claims towards making false organic claims towards their products. Which is actually the main reason why Aubrey Organics, had to switch to the bane Aubrey, because none of their products were certified organic, even bough they were making false claims that their products were organic, when they only contained some natural and/or organic ingredients, but was never certified 100% organic products to begin with.

Reservechic
July 7th, 2019, 11:57 AM

You're definitely not the only one. My experience was very similar to yours. And, I have always used conditioner on my scalp (as that's a part of my normal hair wash day routine) and never had such massive shedding like what I experience from the OGX shampoos and conditioners that I tried.

starrycosmonaut
July 7th, 2019, 12:06 PM
I'm relieved to see that the hair fall was not just in my head and has happened to others!! Although I'm sorry you guys have experienced it as well ;w; Have you guys had any experience with that Love, Beauty and Planet line of shampoos/conditioners? It claims to be sulfate + silicone free, and looks like it could be a cheap alternative as a conditioner for my wash days~?

leafygreens18
July 7th, 2019, 02:39 PM
I'm relieved to see that the hair fall was not just in my head and has happened to others!! Although I'm sorry you guys have experienced it as well ;w; Have you guys had any experience with that Love, Beauty and Planet line of shampoos/conditioners? It claims to be sulfate + silicone free, and looks like it could be a cheap alternative as a conditioner for my wash days~?

I checked out some ingredient lists for LBP, I saw sodium LAURETH sulfate in at least the Coconut Milk and White Jasmine, which isn't as bad as sodium lauryl sulfate but not ideal either. I haven't tried it out but I have heard the Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish shampoo isn't bad and it has a sulfoacetate lathering agent as opposed to a sulfate. If you're wanting a cheap conditioner that's silicone free for wash day check out a suave or vo5 conditioner, they're super cheap and cone free!

starrycosmonaut
July 8th, 2019, 09:58 AM
Thank you so much for the suggestions~!!!!!!

mwallingford
July 8th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Thank you all so much for your helpful replies!!!!!! It means a lot to me, and it is really informative!! And i feel very welcomed, so thank you all so much~! :o:heartbeat
@mwallingford I actually was afraid of my hair being weighed down by leave-in conditioners, just as you guessed~! But, as everyone with similar hair-types are suggesting, moisture is surely better for my hair than anything else~!
I will make sure to focus my conditioner on my length and not my scalp~! @leafygreens18 the CWC method seems like a very gentle and effective way to wash my hair, and I will try it on my next wash day and let you all know how it goes~!!!
Thank you all again!!

I'm so glad I could help! (and that others could stop by and be more helpful than I ever could). Finding a good lightweight but moisturizing leave in conditioner can be tricky. My hair is very fine and fragile, but I also don't mind if it looks weighed down since I always have it up in a bun. I recently tried the "It's a 10" miracle leave in conditioner and it was surprisingly effective. It seemed to impart a far bit of protection but without weighing my hair down at all! The downside is that it was fairly pricey; I don't think I ever would have tried it if someone hadn't gifted it to me for my birthday

pippylonglocks
July 9th, 2019, 05:52 PM
I've used ogx in the past, and it was a love-hate relationship. When I first used it, my hair was shiny and it felt wonderful; however, after a few weeks of using it, my hair became weak, dry, and split. Since the products are very coney (I don't know how your hair responds to 'cones, but mine doesn't do very well), they tend to dry out my hair. Remember that silicones are plastic, and plastic only makes your hair appear "shiny." While cones can lock in moisture when applied to wet hair, they also lock moisture out (not what you want to do) and can end up suffocating the hair shafts. I know that some people use cones with great success (Torrin Paige has some great videos about 'em--she loves one of the coconut ogx sprays and I really do trust her advice), but other people, like myself, experience dryness/brittleness and buildup from cones. I even avoid using cones on my horse; instead, I use lanolin and rose oil. His uber-thick mane extends past his shoulder, and his tail has about a six-inch diameter (it's doubled in thickness since I stopped using a silicone spray on it). Then again, this is just me, and everyone has different experiences. ;-)

leafygreens18
July 10th, 2019, 10:24 AM
I've used ogx in the past, and it was a love-hate relationship. When I first used it, my hair was shiny and it felt wonderful; however, after a few weeks of using it, my hair became weak, dry, and split. Since the products are very coney (I don't know how your hair responds to 'cones, but mine doesn't do very well), they tend to dry out my hair. Remember that silicones are plastic, and plastic only makes your hair appear "shiny." While cones can lock in moisture when applied to wet hair, they also lock moisture out (not what you want to do) and can end up suffocating the hair shafts. I know that some people use cones with great success (Torrin Paige has some great videos about 'em--she loves one of the coconut ogx sprays and I really do trust her advice), but other people, like myself, experience dryness/brittleness and buildup from cones. I even avoid using cones on my horse; instead, I use lanolin and rose oil. His uber-thick mane extends past his shoulder, and his tail has about a six-inch diameter (it's doubled in thickness since I stopped using a silicone spray on it). Then again, this is just me, and everyone has different experiences. ;-)

For me it was always the first day post cones was AMAZING but then my hair would get dry and tangley the day after. So, no more cones for me! Though I don't think I've ever been able to achieve the level of coney goodness the day after a wash, it's worth it to me to have mostly soft hair all week long as opposed to great hair and then terrible on a two day loop! Wow your horse might need an account on LHC, pipinglylocks :wink: I want to know your horses secrets!

pippylonglocks
July 10th, 2019, 12:54 PM
For me it was always the first day post cones was AMAZING but then my hair would get dry and tangley the day after. So, no more cones for me! Though I don't think I've ever been able to achieve the level of coney goodness the day after a wash, it's worth it to me to have mostly soft hair all week long as opposed to great hair and then terrible on a two day loop! Wow your horse might need an account on LHC, pipinglylocks :wink: I want to know your horses secrets!

Haha, leafygreens18, he should! I actually use pretty much the same method on my own hair as I use on his...we even use the same detangler! Maybe I'll start a "horse hair care tips that work on humans" thread ;)

starrycosmonaut
July 12th, 2019, 03:37 PM
I am going to try to avoid silicones, and hopefully if the products I do use have silicones the effects will be lessened if I don't shampoo very much (my goal is to shampoo once to twice a week!)
I think I'm going to get rid of my old OGX products for good, too >W<
So, leafygreens18, you use rose oil on your own hair as well~? Where did you buy it, a drugstore or grocery store~?

Question--yesterday, I didn't wash my hair with shampoo but because I get it wet, I decided to use conditioner on the ends only! Do you guys think my hair will have too much buildup if I were to continue doing that?

leafygreens18
July 12th, 2019, 05:06 PM
I am going to try to avoid silicones, and hopefully if the products I do use have silicones the effects will be lessened if I don't shampoo very much (my goal is to shampoo once to twice a week!)
I think I'm going to get rid of my old OGX products for good, too >W<
So, leafygreens18, you use rose oil on your own hair as well~? Where did you buy it, a drugstore or grocery store~?

Question--yesterday, I didn't wash my hair with shampoo but because I get it wet, I decided to use conditioner on the ends only! Do you guys think my hair will have too much buildup if I were to continue doing that?

I've never used rose oil! I don't oil except on wash days before I wash. I usually use grapeseed oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and olive oil. I haven't tried rose oil, though I have seen rose hip oil at Whole Foods which is where I buy castor oil. Most of the time silicones will be in your conditioner so if you use that it will coat the hair shaft which can lock out moisture. I use a Suave Essentials conditioner or a V05 conditioner every time I get my hair wet and I don't feel I get build up as long as I wash it out completely afterwards! You'll have to see how your hair reacts and check the ingredients of that conditioner!

Dark40
July 12th, 2019, 05:06 PM
OGX made my hair feel dried out. So, I've stopped using it a long time ago. I think it's the product itself. So, I've found other products that works best for my hair and scalp. I have to condition my whole entire head from scalp to ends. My hair has never fallen out doing it this way. Others can use conditioner on their hair and scalp, and others can't use conditioner on their scalp. Some say, "It makes their hair and scalp look and feel too greasy." It doesn't do me that at all.

leafygreens18
July 12th, 2019, 07:06 PM
OGX made my hair feel dried out. So, I've stopped using it a long time ago. I think it's the product itself. So, I've found other products that works best for my hair and scalp. I have to condition my whole entire head from scalp to ends. My hair has never fallen out doing it this way. Others can use conditioner on their hair and scalp, and others can't use conditioner on their scalp. Some say, "It makes their hair and scalp look and feel too greasy." It doesn't do me that at all.

I'm able to use some conditioners on my length and scalp. That's how I do my usual conditioner us up my length and above my ears on the scalp. The conditioner I'm using right now to deep condition is the Shea Moisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Conditioner, I tried it as my regular conditioner but if I use it on my scalp I will get residue when my hair dries and I find it hard to keep my conditioner in only my ends, maybe once it's longer it will be easier. I was always able to use OGX conditioners on my scalp without too much residue, though they did give me more shed it didn't bother me. I normally use Suave Essentials on my length and scalp. I think since I don't brush my hair and I wear it up pretty much 24/7 the shed I get from using it on my scalp is probably just all the hair someone else would normally shed during brushing and just during the day wearing it down.

Milkchocolate
July 16th, 2019, 10:59 AM
I must be the only person who loves ogx? Lol! My holy grail shampoo is the ogx Biotin and collagen. I’ve been using that one for a very long time and have had positive experiences. I used to use clarifying shampoos and often found that they made my hair feel staticy and dry, but something about the ingredients in ogx really work well for my hair. I like the miracle coconut oil conditioner, but I find that their conditioners are more on the lighter side. For thicker deep conditioners I always gravitate towards other brands. But I am a fan of a lot of their shampoos.

starrycosmonaut
July 17th, 2019, 12:11 PM
@milkchocolate I'm glad that you have had good luck with ogx products~!! I suppose it all depends on hair type and whats best for each individual scalp! I will say though, one product I think I'm going to keep is the anti-breakage keratin oil spray--have you ever tried that one? I spray it on my hands and then run it through my wet hair after the shower (on my wash days) and it doesn't seem to make my hair shed as much as the OGX conditioners ever did!!!
By the way, is that your hair in your profile pic?? It's beautiful!! How long have you been growing~?

Milkchocolate
July 17th, 2019, 06:35 PM
@milkchocolate I'm glad that you have had good luck with ogx products~!! I suppose it all depends on hair type and whats best for each individual scalp! I will say though, one product I think I'm going to keep is the anti-breakage keratin oil spray--have you ever tried that one? I spray it on my hands and then run it through my wet hair after the shower (on my wash days) and it doesn't seem to make my hair shed as much as the OGX conditioners ever did!!!
By the way, is that your hair in your profile pic?? It's beautiful!! How long have you been growing~?

I haven’t tried the keratin oil spray it sounds lovely :) thank you! yes that’s my hair in the profile picture (or at least half of it haha) I’ve been growing it out for 11 years :)

giraff
December 13th, 2019, 05:51 PM
As for first impressions, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with the Renewing Moroccan ArganOil Dry Oil. It's waay to light on my hair. I can't even notice that I've put it in when I spray my entire head. My plan originally was to use it on my ends throughout the week between washes, but it's really not doing a lot for me.. I have to use a lot to make my ends feel less rough. In the end, I started just putting straight castor oil on my ends. That was much better.

I'm still planning on using up the bottle. Maybe I notice the differences better over time..

RunOnCaffeine
December 14th, 2019, 04:51 AM
I must be the only person who loves ogx? Lol! My holy grail shampoo is the ogx Biotin and collagen. I’ve been using that one for a very long time and have had positive experiences. I used to use clarifying shampoos and often found that they made my hair feel staticy and dry, but something about the ingredients in ogx really work well for my hair. I like the miracle coconut oil conditioner, but I find that their conditioners are more on the lighter side. For thicker deep conditioners I always gravitate towards other brands. But I am a fan of a lot of their shampoos.

I love OGX but they keep discontinuing the lines my hair likes :( That said, the Bonding Plex one is amazing and I hope they don't stop that like my ultimate holy grail; the OGX awapuhi ginger.

My hair adores the keratin oil :) but I do only buy the shampoo and conditioner when it's on offer.

Fimu
September 12th, 2020, 02:40 AM
I see there are multiple OGX threads, but I'm bumping this because this is the most recent one. I've used both Argan Oil and Extra Strength Argan Oil conditioners last year, but I also used them as leave-in, which didn't work out for me. I didn't like the Bonding Plex at all because the slip felt superficial and didn't detangle well.

I hope they are acting less coney than Pantene because the cones are usually not in the first 5 ingredients unlike Pantene. I've purchased Argan Oil and Marula Oil for myself.

Siv
September 12th, 2020, 03:55 AM
I see there are multiple OGX threads, but I'm bumping this because this is the most recent one. I've used both Argan Oil and Extra Strength Argan Oil conditioners last year, but I also used them as leave-in, which didn't work out for me. I didn't like the Bonding Plex at all because the slip felt superficial and didn't detangle well.

I hope they are acting less coney than Pantene because the cones are usually not in the first 5 ingredients unlike Pantene. I've purchased Argan Oil and Marula Oil for myself.

I did find the Argan one at least acted like very coney conditioner (but I like that). After a couple of washes with both the Argan S and C my ends felt a bit crunchy though. Still, it was very easy to detangle after using them.

Fimu
September 12th, 2020, 05:04 AM
I did find the Argan one at least acted like very coney conditioner (but I like that). After a couple of washes with both the Argan S and C my ends felt a bit crunchy though. Still, it was very easy to detangle after using them.

Good to know! Pantene detangled well, but it made my hair feel too "glassy" when dry, but OGX is formulated with different cones than the Pantene conditioners.

The OGX shampoo also contains cones, so perhaps that aggravates build-up?

Siv
September 12th, 2020, 05:33 AM
Good to know! Pantene detangled well, but it made my hair feel too "glassy" when dry, but OGX is formulated with different cones than the Pantene conditioners.

The OGX shampoo also contains cones, so perhaps that aggravates build-up?

True. I tend to like cones in shampoos because it means I more easily can divide my hair in sections for conditioning in the shower. I had a look at the shampoo and wow, lots a potential for build up there... the dimethicone is fine, I think, but the amodimethicone in combination with cationic surfactants should cause build up. And the cationic surfactants themselves should cause build up as well, I think? I've heard something along those lines about polyquats, at least.

I don't think I'm dealing with buildup just yet, however, since it mostly feels like the schampoo is fairly drying and the conditioner isn't heavy enough for my ends, since they are very rough at the moment (I'm due for a trim on the equinox that's coming up soon.)

Fimu
September 12th, 2020, 06:02 AM
True. I tend to like cones in shampoos because it means I more easily can divide my hair in sections for conditioning in the shower. I had a look at the shampoo and wow, lots a potential for build up there... the dimethicone is fine, I think, but the amodimethicone in combination with cationic surfactants should cause build up. And the cationic surfactants themselves should cause build up as well, I think? I've heard something along those lines about polyquats, at least.

I don't think I'm dealing with buildup just yet, however, since it mostly feels like the schampoo is fairly drying and the conditioner isn't heavy enough for my ends, since they are very rough at the moment (I'm due for a trim on the equinox that's coming up soon.)

The shampoo sounds drying because I find olefin sulfonate as stripping as SL(E)S (that's why I find their sulfate-free claim so misleading). You could also try making a separate dilution of the shampoo.

My ends are also very rough and I need to trim very soon as well, but I do it on Harvest Moon (Oct 1st). Do you also trim with the waxing moon period or more with the solstice/equinox?

Siv
September 12th, 2020, 08:57 AM
The shampoo sounds drying because I find olefin sulfonate as stripping as SL(E)S (that's why I find their sulfate-free claim so misleading). You could also try making a separate dilution of the shampoo.

My ends are also very rough and I need to trim very soon as well, but I do it on Harvest Moon (Oct 1st). Do you also trim with the waxing moon period or more with the solstice/equinox?

Oh yes, that reminds me I remember reading somewhere about sulfonate having a similar molecule structure to SLS. Not sure what that means exactly but I got the impression they would have similar effects on hair! I too dislike OGX's whole marketing scheme, especially before they changed names (Organix is an obvious play on "organic" and they're definitely everything BUT organic!!).

I generally trim on solstices and equinoxes because it's a very convenient date to remember to trim! Where I live our daylight varies a lot with the seasons so I do pay attention to whenever the solstices/equinoxes are ;)

Fimu
September 12th, 2020, 09:03 AM
Oh yes, that reminds me I remember reading somewhere about sulfonate having a similar molecule structure to SLS. Not sure what that means exactly but I got the impression they would have similar effects on hair! I too dislike OGX's whole marketing scheme, especially before they changed names (Organix is an obvious play on "organic" and they're definitely everything BUT organic!!).

I generally trim on solstices and equinoxes because it's a very convenient date to remember to trim! Where I live our daylight varies a lot with the seasons so I do pay attention to whenever the solstices/equinoxes are ;)

I'd say that SLES is less harsh than SLS and sulfonates, but it also depends on the concentration of detergent used in the formulation. Yes, I've understood that their former name was very misleading!

I also live so northerly that daylight time varies a lot. I've been told to trim by the moon, but then I take note of when the next full moon is.

Finda
September 12th, 2020, 05:43 PM
In summer I was on a longer bike (as in bicycle) trip during which I used the brazilian keratin therapy shampoo and the argan oil conditioner. Showers were few and far between. The products gave my hair a lot of slip, which was nescessary, because especially the nape of my neck was very matted ;-)