PDA

View Full Version : The Beloved Products of The LHCers!

Luna Starsetta
July 4th, 2019, 04:43 PM
Hi fellow LHCers,
I am starting this thread to put all the products we use and love here for newbies finding there routines and for ones who have there routine down pat that may be looking for something better or just something else to add. And of course there are a mess of products to use out there so why not put a thread up for the products we use, love, and why we do?

Right now I am loving argon oil as my leave in and my shampoos conditioners and deep treatments are a mix of Maui moisture and Shea moisture. They are all silicone free sulfate free and organic. I like them because they are organics and my hair seems to Cooperate best with them so far!

I'm woundereing what do you all use and why?

Aunt Rapunzel
July 4th, 2019, 06:10 PM
I don't use a ton of products, but one thing I LOVE is pure aloe for my hair. It's the one thing that my hair has always loved, and never seems to "tire" of.

Dark40
July 4th, 2019, 06:32 PM
I use tons of different products on my hair. My hair loves all kind of products! Right now, my hair is also loving Maui Moisture products too! I love the fact that it's silicone-free and sulfate-free. Even though my hair loves silicones and cones as well. But right now, I'm using Herbal Essence shampoo for permed and color-treated hair the old version from the 2000s. They don't make it anymore. But the new version I use now is the, "Herbal Essence Color Me Happy Shampoo and Conditioner." I also use Garnier Fructis Banana Hair Mask for my deep treatments. I also use Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream, and also Queen Helene Super Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream for my deep conditioning treatments as well.

I also use essential oils for sealing in moisture. Like, vitamin E oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, carrot oil, and olive oil.

Milady_DeWinter
July 5th, 2019, 03:16 AM
any nightblooming thing. Shipping makes my heart bleed, but the products worth it!

As for conditioner, I am loving so much the maple and castor oil hair mask (https://www.garnier.co.uk/hair-care/beauty/ultimate-blends/maple-and-castor-oil-for-very-damaged-hair/intense-repairing-mask) from Garnier (cones). Great for my dryish hair, and smells delicious!

enting
July 5th, 2019, 04:24 AM
I don't use any hair masks, but just the name of yours is tempting me, Milady_DeWinter! I'll bet it does smell delicious!

lapushka
July 5th, 2019, 04:32 AM
I have to say for 2019 the Garnier Fructis hairfood masks were a nice discovery.

And for shampoo, it is still my Pantene Aqua Light (discontinued, but backstash).

Begemot
July 5th, 2019, 04:48 AM
Yup, Garnier's Hair Food masks are popular. Many people have discovered them, they are always out of the Banana masks at my supermarket :taz:

TatsuOni
July 5th, 2019, 05:00 AM
any nightblooming thing. Shipping makes my heart bleed, but the products worth it!

I have to agree :) Favorite products from NightBlooming (so far) are Raven queen and Aurelia (oils), Freya's hair salve and Alluvial to remove mineral build up :)

I also like to use homemade detangling spray, deep conditioner, aloe vera gel and flax seed gel.

And for conditioner (CO-washer), I'm experimenting with making my own at the moment and still haven't found the "perfect" balance of ingredients for my hair.

MusicalSpoons
July 5th, 2019, 05:19 AM
- Holy Grail is Faith in Nature BB Rose conditioner - cone free but I can get a brush through my hair afterwards like a hot knife through butter. Makes my hair feel heavenly and the smell is great too :cloud9: A bit out of my usual price range though (even when on special offer) so reserved for when my hair needs a bit of TLC.
- Co-Op Tea Tree and Mint conditioner - cone-free, runny, cheap, and I use it in place of shampoo. Not co-washing exactly because depending on how my scalp feels I might also use a bit of shampoo for thorough cleansing, but that's more because I don't have the time or energy to let it sit and really thoroughly work it in like I percieve co-washing to be. They also do Red Raspberry and Apple and Aloe. I think for UK LHCers it's probably a Suave/VO5 equivalent product.
- Natura Siberica Neutral shampoo - keeps my scalp the happiest I've found from a shampoo so far. A bit harder to come by cheaply nowadays but is often on special offer *some*where on the internet.
- Poundshop / cheapie shop conditioners are often cone-free if they're not a well-known brand, and a great place to start experimenting. My every wash Holy Grail is Macademia extract conditioner (black bottle, £1 for 400ml) full of plant oils and with PEG-dimethicone. Works great as a deep conditioner despite its price!

Holy Grail method is ROO, rinse-out oil/oil rinse (see the link in lapushka's signature) because it keeps my ends more moisturised than just conditioner alone. When I've done my full C-W-ROO-C routine, leaving the first C on for an hour+ before getting in the shower, my ends are perfectly happy to go more than a week without washing. [At knee+length, growing out a few feet of pre-LHC neglect, I think that's saying something!]

lapushka
July 5th, 2019, 06:13 AM
Holy Grail method is ROO, rinse-out oil/oil rinse (see the link in lapushka's signature) because it keeps my ends more moisturised than just conditioner alone. When I've done my full C-W-ROO-C routine, leaving the first C on for an hour+ before getting in the shower, my ends are perfectly happy to go more than a week without washing. [At knee+length, growing out a few feet of pre-LHC neglect, I think that's saying something!]

That is awesome to hear.

MusicalSpoons
July 5th, 2019, 06:16 AM
That is awesome to hear.

Thank you - it really shows what a great method ROO is! :D (Edit: Or, should I say, 'can be' - of course no method will work for everyone.)

lapushka
July 5th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Thank you - it really shows what a great method ROO is! :D (Edit: Or, should I say, 'can be' - of course no method will work for everyone.)

Yes "can" being the operative word here! ;)

I just love it, BTW! I had used it for over a year, when I stopped to check out the hairfood papaya mask. Ylva had mentioned it might be too heavy (but it thankfully wasn't, could've been). I only stopped a week, and went straight back to it. :lol: My neem oil by Dr. Hauschka has about 1/4 left of the bottle now. I'm going through my oil and sticking with this one pretty nicely (I like it). :)

bparnell75
July 5th, 2019, 10:34 AM
I have to agree :) Favorite products from NightBlooming (so far) are Raven queen and Aurelia (oils), Freya's hair salve and Alluvial to remove mineral build up :)

I also like to use homemade detangling spray, deep conditioner, aloe vera gel and flax seed gel.

And for conditioner (CO-washer), I'm experimenting with making my own at the moment and still haven't found the "perfect" balance of ingredients for my hair.

Could you please give us the recipe for this? Pretty please?

Rowdy
July 5th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Aussie 7N1 conditioner, CHI silk infusion and sweet almond oil . I have used pretty much only these (with various shampoos ) for about 4 years now but I've used the CHI for 12 -14 years.

Vacurlylady
July 5th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Yup, Garnier's Hair Food masks are popular. Many people have discovered them, they are always out of the Banana masks at my supermarket :taz:

I love the banana too and they seem to be hard to find. And why don’t they make banana in a bigger container????

Jo Ann
July 5th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Herbal Essences "Hello Hydration" conditioner as my second conditioner, SM's "Strengthen and Grow" (also affectionately known here as JBCO) leave-in conditioner, and coconut oil. Other things may change with my hair care routine, but these three things are basics for me! The extra moisturizing boost from these three products really help my hair look and feel healthy; they have helped my hair recover from a multitude of sins :oops:

AutobotsAttack
July 5th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Shea Butter and Cupuacu Butter.
Hands down the absolute best thing I can put in my hair. It’s softening abilities are super penetrative, and I sometimes deep condition with it. Has a very high percentage of Oleic Acid, with Cupuacu being among the highest.

Im slightly obsessed with it.

Laurelin
July 5th, 2019, 04:44 PM
I stopped using probably 99% of all products I used to put in my hair 7 years ago. Right now it seems to like Petal Fresh (lavender, rosemary&mint, teatree) conditioners and any natural oils which I also like using on my skin usually combined with leave-in conditioner balm of the Botanicals line from L'oreal but I don't always bother with that part because I wear my hair up all the time anyways.

Liz_H
July 5th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Aunt Rapunzel, please tell me more about the aloe. i.e. how, how often, form - fresh, bottled gel or powder. I suspect my hair would really like it as well.

I don't use a ton of products, but one thing I LOVE is pure aloe for my hair. It's the one thing that my hair has always loved, and never seems to "tire" of.

RottenMango
July 5th, 2019, 11:35 PM
My most important products would be hair masks and serums. My current favorite hair mask is Not Your Mother’s Matcha Green Tea & Apple Blossom Butter Masque. My favorite serum is Orofluido Beauty Elixir.

Begemot
July 6th, 2019, 01:56 AM
I love the banana too and they seem to be hard to find. And why don’t they make banana in a bigger container????

Right?! Garnier, hear our call and give us a value size container ASAP :lol:

blackgothicdoll
July 7th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Right?! Garnier, hear our call and give us a value size container ASAP :lol:

They do make a big container....or is that only in the states?? We have the tiny jars and then a taller tub.

I'm sorry if that's only in the states! I'm not sure the small jars would last more than one use for me :lol:

Eta: small is 3.4oz or about 100ml, large is 13.5 oz or about 400ml.

lapushka
July 7th, 2019, 12:04 PM
They do make a big container....or is that only in the states?? We have the tiny jars and then a taller tub.

I'm sorry if that's only in the states! I'm not sure the small jars would last more than one use for me :lol:

Eta: small is 3.4oz or about 100ml, large is 13.5 oz or about 400ml.

We only have one size, the one that's about 400ml.

Aunt Rapunzel
July 7th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Aunt Rapunzel, please tell me more about the aloe. i.e. how, how often, form - fresh, bottled gel or powder. I suspect my hair would really like it as well.

So sorry that I didn't see this earlier! I use it from a bottle. It's 100% pure organic aloe - and it's much more liquid than the gel-type aloe-in-a-bottle that's at the store. It's from Enchanted Waters, and if I remember correctly, it was about $25 for a 16 oz bottle. (They have several size options.) I bought it in early February (on eBay) and I've given some of it away to a fellow-frizzy, so she could see if her hair likes it . . . and I still have over 2/3 of the bottle left, even though I use it almost daily. I only need about a quarter-sized drop of it for each side of my hair when I divide my hair in half. It goes a long way. I smooth it down my hair at night, after it's been brushed with a BBB, and then loosely braid it. It's the best thing I've found for my hair so far - along with the oil blend that I use every Saturday night.

rosey4exclaim
July 7th, 2019, 04:00 PM
As I Am's Coconut Cowash is the only product I'm really gung-ho about. Well, that and Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap, which is what I use to "shampoo" my hair.

C_Bookworm
July 7th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Wet brush. I keep one in my shower (to detangle hair while I’m rinsing conditioner out) and another to catch any remaining tangles after I work my leave-ins through.

My other HG is Biosilk Silk Therapy. I mix a couple drops with my leave-in, and it makes my hair feel deliciously soft and softens the wave pattern in my hair.

Groovy Granny
July 7th, 2019, 08:45 PM
Wet brush. I keep one in my shower (to detangle hair while I’m rinsing conditioner out) and another to catch any remaining tangles after I work my leave-ins through.

My other HG is Biosilk Silk Therapy. I mix a couple drops with my leave-in, and it makes my hair feel deliciously soft and softens the wave pattern in my hair.

I agree 100% :agree:

My Biosilk is the LITE version .....and I also use the BBB version of the Wet Brush AM/PM ....and the regular Wet Brush on dry hair for quick detangles :love:

I will have to try mixing the Biosilk with my leave in....usually I apply it after it is completely dry; I use it religiously before braiding and when I take them out.

Good to see you BTW; I miss all your pics :waving:
I'm not around much these days; been busy caring for my beloved DH who is about to undergo heart surgery this week.
It is funny how different our hair textures are....with my fine/wispy/curly silver..... and your henndigo sleekness/shine :crush:

Luna Starsetta
July 7th, 2019, 09:03 PM
GG, sending virtual support your way. Hope all goes well worth the DH and everything goes smoothly!

C_Bookworm
July 7th, 2019, 10:39 PM
I agree 100% :agree:

My Biosilk is the LITE version .....and I also use the BBB version of the Wet Brush AM/PM ....and the regular Wet Brush on dry hair for quick detangles :love:

I will have to try mixing the Biosilk with my leave in....usually I apply it after it is completely dry; I use it religiously before braiding and when I take them out.

Good to see you BTW; I miss all your pics :waving:
I'm not around much these days; been busy caring for my beloved DH who is about to undergo heart surgery this week.
It is funny how different our hair textures are....with my fine/wispy/curly silver..... and your henndigo sleekness/shine :crush:

I have to admit I am curious about how the lite version would work for me! Knowing that the regular version imparts a straightening effect, I’d be curious to see if the lite version causes more wave/curl to develop? Feeling inspired to try it next time. Your free flowing waves and curls are thudworthy!

Thank you, dear GG :flower: This last school year got crazier and crazier, so I didn’t have much energy or time to come around. I’m glad to have a break and time to get back into the swing of things. Wishing your DH a successful surgery and fast healing.:grouphug:

AuntyMiki
July 7th, 2019, 10:57 PM
I use cheap shampoo and Tressamé conditioner. My hair doesn't care. It's a junk food junkie.