PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Dry Ends...henna/cassia or oil cause?

CosmoCat
July 4th, 2019, 09:22 AM
What is more likely to make nice ends dry? I’m taking ‘better’ care of my hair, which seems to have helped the sides feel and look better. However, the back and underneath it isn’t soft and silky anymore. I used a henna/cassia blend twice and oiled a few times (coconut once or twice, but mostly shea oil). I have been using Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner too. It’s rather heavy and think dulling, but my hair behaves better overall. I feel like my hair is highly porous and needs moisture, but thought it was getting it. It’s less brittle since the SM use. I hope the oil isn’t keeping it out. I have clarified and chelated in recent times...doesn’t seem to help. Any thoughts? Thanks!

CosmoCat
July 4th, 2019, 09:31 AM
(The top isn’t as silky either, actually. It’s frustrating that parts are better and others worse! Maybe I will stop henna/cassia and oils...just use a decent shampoo/conditioner and hope it’s enough?)

Joules
July 4th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Shea butter always turns my hair into waxy dry straw. Coconut oil isn't as horrible for my hair, but not very good either.

I'd recommend clarifying. If it helps then it's definitely oils.

akurah
July 4th, 2019, 11:41 AM
My hair gets weird and dry and icky with shea butter as well...

AutobotsAttack
July 4th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Shea Butter is amazing for me! It’s super high in good fatty acids. Although there’s a difference between the yellow kind, ivory kind, and Shea Nilotica. Typically you should cut the Shea Butter with a lighter oil. That’s why it’s important to understand porosity, and specifically your porosity to understand how stuff like Shea Butter, oils, and henna/cassia/indigo will interact with your hair.

For OP, henna/cassia/indigo have color granules that attach to the hair. But that doesn’t mean they moisturize the hair whatsoever. Same with oils. Oils don’t really “moisturize”, and when I say that, oils do not perform the typical cationic distribution that allows for net charge neutralization. Ergo, that smoothed, soft feeling, that conditioner gives, that makes the hair lay down a bit more, and smooths rough cuticle layers.

Oils do coat, and some can provide mineral absorption into the cortex, or enrich the cuticle, but you can still have dry feeling hair, or tangly and grabbing ends, if the overall negative charge of the hair has either been increased, or hasn’t been lowered or neutralized at all.

So it would probably be best to ditch the SM products, since a lot of them are formulated with Shea Butter as the first or second ingredient. Opt for a SMT, or an actual moisturizing deep conditioner. Or a conditioner that’s formulated with little or no protein ingredients. I’d give it a few washes for your hair to settle down. Your ends will start to feel a lot smoother and less tangly after a bit.

lapushka
July 4th, 2019, 02:41 PM
What is more likely to make nice ends dry? I’m taking ‘better’ care of my hair, which seems to have helped the sides feel and look better. However, the back and underneath it isn’t soft and silky anymore. I used a henna/cassia blend twice and oiled a few times (coconut once or twice, but mostly shea oil). I have been using Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner too. It’s rather heavy and think dulling, but my hair behaves better overall. I feel like my hair is highly porous and needs moisture, but thought it was getting it. It’s less brittle since the SM use. I hope the oil isn’t keeping it out. I have clarified and chelated in recent times...doesn’t seem to help. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I always had dry crunchy ends when I used coconut oil, at first I thought because it was the fact that it solidified at lower temperatures, but then I got the fractionated (always liquid) CO, and... same thing.

Try another oil than CO, that would be my first guess.

Shea butter... also gotta be careful with that.

I would clarify and start over!

pailin
July 4th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Coconut oil does that to my ends. Sounds like it could be either of your oils.
Eta: like Lapushka says, clarify. Then skip the oils. If it's the oils, that will probably fix it quickly (for me, within a couple days, but I wash every day).

2gaits
July 5th, 2019, 08:58 PM
I used a natural herbal treatment similar to henna but what I used didn't make any color difference. It was advertised for its conditioning properties. My hair hated it and was very dry from it. I would think about those dyes based on the experience I had.

hennalove
July 5th, 2019, 09:24 PM
What is more likely to make nice ends dry? Iím taking Ďbetterí care of my hair, which seems to have helped the sides feel and look better. However, the back and underneath it isnít soft and silky anymore. I used a henna/cassia blend twice and oiled a few times (coconut once or twice, but mostly shea oil). I have been using Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner too. Itís rather heavy and think dulling, but my hair behaves better overall. I feel like my hair is highly porous and needs moisture, but thought it was getting it. Itís less brittle since the SM use. I hope the oil isnít keeping it out. I have clarified and chelated in recent times...doesnít seem to help. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The Shea Moisture shampoo and leave-in conditioner was my newest awesome find. It worked well for me for about 6 months then it didn't. I did a fullers earth and sandalwood mask then washed with aritha/shikakai that solved the problem. I didn't notice dry ends with the Shea Moisture brand but I always oil my ends daily anyway.

CosmoCat
July 6th, 2019, 12:16 AM
Thanks so much, everyone.:blossom: