PDA

View Full Version : Which type of measuring do you do?

AutobotsAttack
July 4th, 2019, 12:01 AM
I’ve noticed that people measure their hair differently. I’ve always done the typical measure from the hairline, going back, to the very ends of my hair.

And for the most part, most of us here measure that way.
Like so,

https://i.imgflip.com/34wfxm.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/34wfxm)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)
picture source ——>>> Emi Longhairedatheart —->> Youtube

However, a lot of the natural hair videos I see, they measure their hair in different areas.
Such as:
Right side
left side
Crown Area
Bangs/hair line area
back/nape area

example

https://youtu.be/qbYGjbkZCjc

I personally think both ways are accurate. So long as you keep the tape measure in the same General area, and you keep up with your recordings.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 4th, 2019, 01:04 AM
I use the first method, except DH does it for me.

Six Seeds
July 4th, 2019, 03:14 AM
I've been using the first method as well. I even part my hair down the middle first, because it helps me align the tape measure by feel. I think you are right though, for tracking hair growth, it doesn't really matter as long as you're measuring the same spot every time.

The first time I measured my hair, I asked my partner to help me and when he told me how long my hair was, he said "Measuring from that place on your head, your hair is 25 inches long." I don't know, something about the wording made me think that he thought it was a weird way to measure.. like I'm artificially inflating the number by measuring my whole head, LOL! In that sense, I can't imagine what would be most "accurate" while staying practical. I figure that most people on LHC know what I mean if I tell them how long my hair is in inches; outside the community, I just use body parts because it's a frame of reference that most people will understand.

YvetteVarie
July 4th, 2019, 03:18 AM
I used to use the second method. Mainly because it was easier for me to stretch my hair and measure. Now I just use a length check t-shirt. Its more accurate for me

Begemot
July 4th, 2019, 04:15 AM
I like the first method best.

lapushka
July 4th, 2019, 05:28 AM
First method all the way, the rest is prone to wrong measurements.

eresh
July 4th, 2019, 06:16 AM
The first one, I hold the measuringtape on my hairline and my husband will measure the length for me.

Brethil
July 4th, 2019, 06:19 AM
I typically measure my ponytail from the base. I'm pretty casual with measurements- I never count the last inch-ish of absolute wispies, I never write the number down, and I don't have a measuring schedule. So any inaccuracy doesn't matter.

I did use the LHF method to get the numbers to use on here, but it doesn't seem right to me either. I have a U-shaped hemline, so the hairs at my forehead don't reach the tips. I don't actually have any hairs 58 inches long. The LHF method does have the advantage of easy standardization.

SnowDancer
July 4th, 2019, 06:33 AM
I use the first meathod. My husband helps me.

AutobotsAttack
July 4th, 2019, 06:46 AM
I've been using the first method as well. I even part my hair down the middle first, because it helps me align the tape measure by feel. I think you are right though, for tracking hair growth, it doesn't really matter as long as you're measuring the same spot every time.

The first time I measured my hair, I asked my partner to help me and when he told me how long my hair was, he said "Measuring from that place on your head, your hair is 25 inches long." I don't know, something about the wording made me think that he thought it was a weird way to measure.. like I'm artificially inflating the number by measuring my whole head, LOL! In that sense, I can't imagine what would be most "accurate" while staying practical. I figure that most people on LHC know what I mean if I tell them how long my hair is in inches; outside the community, I just use body parts because it's a frame of reference that most people will understand.

I used to use the second method. Mainly because it was easier for me to stretch my hair and measure. Now I just use a length check t-shirt. Its more accurate for me

I’d agree that body markers, or t-shirt lines are also good. When it comes to monthly pictures i use body markers too.

AutobotsAttack
July 4th, 2019, 06:47 AM
I use the first method, except DH does it for me.

I need to start getting my husband to help lol. Arms are too short lol

Genne
July 4th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Hi,
I tried the first method but the difference between that and the second method was a couple inches and it doesn't really feel so easy for me. I switched to using body landmarks for now because knowing I'm hip length is much easier than measuring. I'm sure I will occasionally measure just out of curiosity sake. :) I'm nearly 5'11" and when I measured just the distance from my scalp to my hip, (with my hair over my shoulder instead of down my back,) it came out to 35". This is the same place I feel my hair hit as I sit and it touches the skin above my shorts. However, I am a numbers wierdo and when I measured it "exactly" a month ago I got 33" and my hair only grew a half an inch since then as I can see by my new growth roots from henna.
All that said, knowing my peculiar attempts to keep things "absolutely" right, I do not think I measure the hair accurately but, can measure a landmark pretty good! :)
Jen

Ylva
July 4th, 2019, 10:23 AM
I just "measure" my hair against body markers. I never bothered with exact numbers, except when I was measuring root regrowth after lightening my hair. It still kind of works but it's getting very WWWW now.

Joules
July 4th, 2019, 10:36 AM
For tracking growth I measure my hair from the earlobe down. I cut my hair in the front (Spidermoms method), so it makes sense for me. My earlobe is always in the same place (hopefully) and it's easier for me to stretch my waves and get accurate measurements this way. Trying to measure from the hairline and down my back is way too tricky and inaccurate with wavy flippy hair.

Hairkay
July 4th, 2019, 03:21 PM
I sometimes use body markers but mostly I just measure some shed hairs against a tape measure. Measuring is an occasional thing, once a year or less.

S&S
July 4th, 2019, 03:40 PM
For tracking growth I measure my hair from the earlobe down. I cut my hair in the front (Spidermoms method), so it makes sense for me. My earlobe is always in the same place (hopefully) and it's easier for me to stretch my waves and get accurate measurements this way. Trying to measure from the hairline and down my back is way too tricky and inaccurate with wavy flippy hair.

Agreed! I only measured the first way after joining here... But now I am measuring both ways - just keeping track of both numbers :popcorn:

Guitargod
July 4th, 2019, 05:31 PM
I measure my hair using the first method since it's the most consistent way to track growth. Of course it's a bit of a drawback to the method that no single hair is that long. Haven't measured for a year now though - can't find the measuring tape and it's just more convenient for me to count fists for a high ponytail.

Dark40
July 4th, 2019, 07:46 PM
I use the first method all of the time.

Milady_DeWinter
July 5th, 2019, 03:23 AM
First method. It's the best for me :)

Cg
July 5th, 2019, 10:13 AM
I use body markers only. Simpler, more convenient, and when hair is longer than you can reach it isn't practical to use a tape. Certainly when you live alone this is the case.

MusicalSpoons
July 5th, 2019, 10:38 AM
I do the first, but *any* method with a consistent and accurate starting point is of course valid. The SSS method (George Michael method?) is what I learned here so I just went with it :shrug: [I usually take off 6" if I'm trying to calculate longest actual length for whatever reason because that takes me to my crown as the starting point.]

I rarely actually measure, only when curiosity gets me, but this is how I do it:

... I do try to self measure sometimes and do what JJJ does which is to hold the tape on your forehead with one hand and sliding the other hand down your length and bring it forward without moving but it is hard because if the tape gets twisted you don't see... i do it in front of a mirror or camera which helps. You can even just let the tape be and film your back. If the numbers are big enough or zooming in, you will generally be able to tell... But nothing like asking my husband to do it.
That's what I do. I'm bad enough at taking photos of my hair down that to add needing to get numbers in focus is just beyond me so far. Once the tape measure is firmly in place I let go of the forehead then use one hand after the other to pull the length straight down against the tape measure so there's no movement (or twisting) of it. I sometimes do it twice, bringing my hair around each side to make sure the readings are the same and therefore accurate. I've never tried to explain it before so I hope that makes sense. It also has the advantage over taking a picture of measuring stretched, because my hemline is still uneven and it never hangs the same anyway so I'd get inaccurate results.
(Quoted from this post (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54031&page=269&p=3666303&viewfull=1#post3666303))
Gotta say, I am looking forward to one day outgrowing my tape measure :grin: even if it is just by a few terminal stragglers. Apparently quilters' tape measures are 120" long, and we also have a surveyers' tape that's 5m long - never going to need *that*one for sure!! :rollin:

Kat-Rinnè Naido
July 5th, 2019, 02:25 PM
I use the first method.

TatsuOni
July 6th, 2019, 12:31 PM
The first method :)