PDA

View Full Version : Protective Styles While Hair Is Down

GrowlingCupcake
July 3rd, 2019, 07:55 PM
Okay, it may be a bit of an oxymoron but I need some help here.

Lately my hair has gotten very slippery. It literally unravels from buns or just starts dandelioning out around it. Sticks fall out, flexis twist 90 degrees, etc. Braided buns have not helped. Even spin pins, and helix forks don't want to stick around for long. In addition to that, my scalp has gotten super finicky, and hurts from most buns even when it isn't too tight or isn't pulling.

I've been stuck having to wear my hair down or in a ponytail most of the time. I use hair friendly ties, headbands, flexis, etc. But none of that really helps me protect my length.

So I figured I'd ask: How can I protect my length, and ends when I am stuck wearing my hair down? Do any of you have any suggestions, ideas, etc.?

I've tried comet knots/pony tails but they don't stay.

shaluwm_agape
July 3rd, 2019, 07:57 PM
Would you be opposed to a snood

GrowlingCupcake
July 3rd, 2019, 08:00 PM
Would you be opposed to a snood

I don't really like them but I think they'd be better than having my hair down, as long as they stay on. I just want some way to keep my hair protected.

Do you know of any patterns for them? One of my friends would be willing to make me one so I could try it out. Any suggestions for how to keep it on?

shaluwm_agape
July 3rd, 2019, 08:02 PM
Well when I make mine I usually add a tie whether it be ribbon or a yarn braid.

Ylva
July 3rd, 2019, 08:06 PM
An oiled braid.

Most of the time, I find a plain English braid protective enough for me because I am not too fussed about a bit of damage or a few split ends. I just don't feel at home wearing buns.

Haven
July 3rd, 2019, 08:11 PM
Honestly, the only thing I can think of is to be extra mindful of where it is. Keep it out of the way when putting on jackets, bags, scarves, etc.; avoid sitting with your back directly against a chair; that kind of thing. These are the kinds of things buns prevent us from having to worry about, so the alternative may just have to be worrying about them manually.

The ends might also need extra product (oils, serums, whatever you want to use) to reduce friction and give them a stronger barrier against the elements.

And if you ever really need or want to get your hair out of the way, you could try tucking it into a hat, if it will all fit.

ETA: Like Ylva said, braids are protective too, but I assumed while writing this you'd tried those too :p

Entangled
July 3rd, 2019, 08:40 PM
There are also ballerina bun covers that might be able to help keep the hair contained, especially if you use a pony base.Like this. (https://images.app.goo.gl/f4QX2CEisYeLBpbs8)

Kalamazoo
July 3rd, 2019, 08:56 PM
How about getting silk or satin blouses? (Not good if the weather's too hot...)
Or wearing a hat?
Or EZ Combs! (On the EZ Combs, they have to have long, twisted wire teeth to stay in for me. I bought a couple of the cheapest ones on eBay, & they do NOT stay in. Oh well, I'm not out much. But I also found GOOD EZ-style combs at my friendly local neighborhood brick-&-mortar Walmart.)
And I found some 1-bump bobby pins that I really like. I've found I can bobby-pin my braid(s) in interesting shapes about my head, hiding the ends, and without even using any rubber bands! (The "damage-free" elastics break my hair.)
I'm also learning to put the tiniest dot of conditioner on my comb before combing my hair...

Kalamazoo
July 3rd, 2019, 09:00 PM
P.S. Entangled's ballerina bun cover might look good sewn onto a headband, to make a snood...

Spikey
July 3rd, 2019, 09:55 PM
Have you tried an Amish Bun? Hair taping? Neither of these are really "down", but they're fairly slip proof.

If you really want to wear it down, try a side braid or a braid started under one ear so you can keep it in front of you and "supervise" it

Kalamazoo
July 3rd, 2019, 11:20 PM
On YouTube, there's a video called

Tudor Inspired Hair: "Quilted" Hair Knots, by ladollyvita333

I did a simpler version of this one day. I put all my hair into just one ponytail, ran a ribbon (more than twice as long as my hair) through the rubber band, and proceeded to make an English braid out of 2 strands being ribbon & 1 strand being my hair. Then I coiled that braid into a bun & bobby-pinned it in place. It looked woven, like a snood. This could look very festive, depending on which ribbon or yarn you chose to use.

Or, that braid could be worn down.

milosmomma
July 4th, 2019, 02:22 AM
I was going to suggest a Caterpillar or runner and braid but the ribbon braid suggested above sounds a bit more ptoctove.

StellaStellitsa
July 4th, 2019, 04:17 AM
You could try sewing your desired hairstyle(s) in place with ribbon or thread since your hair is slippery.

Brethil
July 4th, 2019, 06:49 AM
I haven't tried hair taping on buns, but I have on crown braids. It works great on my slippery hair - if I sew into French braids. Otherwise the whole thing slides back along my scalp hair. If I put the front pretty far forwards, gravity will keep it from slipping back, but it feels slightly imbalanced, like I need to keep my head poised to keep it in place. But maybe I need to practice more. I haven't done it much.

To protect hanging braids, try wrapping them in something. I recently started wrapping up my sleep braid and it helps keeps the tangles at bay. Of course, it also looks kind of peculiar when I wrap the whole thing completely in a strip of printed cotton rag. A wide ribbon criss-crossing down the length with the hair showing through would be slightly less protective but much more aesthetic.

The-Young-Maid
July 4th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I just do an oiled braid with a nice fluffy scrunchie.

Kalamazoo
July 4th, 2019, 11:31 AM
On YouTube, there's a video called

Tudor Inspired Hair: "Quilted" Hair Knots, by ladollyvita333

I did a simpler version of this one day. I put all my hair into just one ponytail, ran a ribbon (more than twice as long as my hair) through the rubber band, and proceeded to make an English braid out of 2 strands being ribbon & 1 strand being my hair. Then I coiled that braid into a bun & bobby-pinned it in place. It looked woven, like a snood. This could look very festive, depending on which ribbon or yarn you chose to use.

Or, that braid could be worn down.

That bun could be called a Quilted Cinnabun, & the braid might be called a Be-Ribbonned English Braid? Bedecked English Braid? I'm just inventing names here.

Oh, & either one could be done with a scarf instead of a ribbon.

My choice of ribbon was 1/8" wide satin, in a color contrasting with my hair.

This is sort of similar to a Paranda, methinks.