PDA

View Full Version : RC Roche clips = Ficcare replica / replacement?

gin
July 3rd, 2019, 02:30 PM
I've been using these RC Roche clips from Amazon for a few months now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8QN1VV

I decided to get them after reading multiple reviews on Amazon that said they were comparable to Ficcares. I have never owned a Ficcare, so I myself have no idea how it compares to the "real thing". Has anyone else ever used these clips? Anyone have an actual comparison to a Ficcare?

Ever since I found out about Ficcare I've considered getting one a few times, though I don't think I could ever justify in my head spending so much on a hair clip (I'm stingy/thrifty with $$, it takes me forever to buy anything haha). These RC Roche clips have been working great for me and you get 6 of them for less than $12. They don't solve all my hair problems though and of course they aren't as pretty. But at least I don't have to worry about losing one or two, which is bound to happen!

Bess3714
October 20th, 2019, 04:03 PM
I just saw these on Amazon while I was looking for new hair toys. I figured I would search LHC to see if anyone else has used them. I'm glad to hear their working for you! Hopefully they'll work for me, at least until I can justify the purchase of a real Ficcare, or convince someone to get one for me for Christmas.

Chromis
October 20th, 2019, 04:20 PM
They might be a similar shape, but those don't feel a thing like Ficcares to me. The teeth are so big and awkward and the hinge is not as good. The one I tried had an awful grippy bit in the middle too that caught on my hair while trying to slide it in. Absolute junk.

You'd be better to save up in my opinion. Nordstrom sells the basic Ficcares in the US and you can often find them here on the swap board too, especially if you don't mind a scratched one. (The older colours are no longer made and are very expensive indeed, but that is not the same for newer ones!) If you have a Nordstrom Rack there, you can sometimes, sometimes find chipped ones there. That's how I got my first one!

gin
October 20th, 2019, 07:44 PM
I just saw these on Amazon while I was looking for new hair toys. I figured I would search LHC to see if anyone else has used them. I'm glad to hear their working for you! Hopefully they'll work for me, at least until I can justify the purchase of a real Ficcare, or convince someone to get one for me for Christmas.

Thankfully because of Amazon, you can easily return them if they don't work for you! I got another style of their clips that didn't work at all and returned those. Still have this 6-pack and use them mainly for running.

They might be a similar shape, but those don't feel a thing like Ficcares to me. The teeth are so big and awkward and the hinge is not as good. The one I tried had an awful grippy bit in the middle too that caught on my hair while trying to slide it in. Absolute junk.

You'd be better to save up in my opinion. Nordstrom sells the basic Ficcares in the US and you can often find them here on the swap board too, especially if you don't mind a scratched one. (The older colours are no longer made and are very expensive indeed, but that is not the same for newer ones!) If you have a Nordstrom Rack there, you can sometimes, sometimes find chipped ones there. That's how I got my first one!

I don't have the grippy problem, though like I said, I've never owned a Ficcare so I have no clue how it compares. From everything I've read about Ficcares I'm imagining they are quite amazing though. :)

lunasea
October 20th, 2019, 07:55 PM
Although I've not gotten that specific brand, I have gotten plastic clips with the long teeth inside. My hair is fine and thin and they work okay for me. They are not quite as good as a Ficcare for me (I wear a small at hip length) but they can serve the purpose if I get them in the right bun in the right way. Definitely not as posh or sturdy as a ficcare. I'm a bit surprised that you can use them with your thick hair.

BTW, I think the LHC lingo for this type of clip is fakkare :rollin:

Groovy Granny
October 20th, 2019, 09:19 PM
They sure would be lighter....I struggle with ficcares at times because of the weight (fine/wispy silver and sensitive scalp).
I have some larger plastic Thai claws that I love and could see these working just as well.

You never know....years ago I got a set of metal/gemmed large alligator clips from amazon that are awesome.
This year I bought a set of acrylic clips (pictured at the bottom of that page) and I just threw them out!
Within months they rusted, and I feared they would tear my hair up, so I didn't even bother trying to clean them up :tmi:
It is too late to return them, but live and learn...plus they were cheap enough :shrug:

So yeah....really no comparison to ficcares....aside from the type of clip, but I would keep them in mind for myself!
Let us know how they work for you over time :popcorn:

desisparkles
November 17th, 2019, 06:51 PM
ok so mine came in today! woah do they have a good grip!! I gave 3 to my mom and kept 3 for myself.

my mom said, "oh I love them but wow they hurt my hands to open."

no way your hair is slipping out of this grip, that's one strong hinge.

I have a small maximas compared to the rc roche plastic one on the right in small. I also have a medium that comes in tomorrow and I will put pics of that next to the medium maximas I have.

I like them and really like the colors.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XKZB5B8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://i.imgur.com/cvAUtRT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Fp4epmv.jpg

I'll probably send some to my sis and niece in the bigger medium. i dunno if they will dig the metal maximas and that's a lotta dough to shell out if they don't care for it.

desisparkles
November 17th, 2019, 06:57 PM
one more pic in light. has a couple dents - not made by me but eh they are plastic.

I do think one can get headaches from these clips though if not positioned well VERY easily. it's that tightly gripped.

https://i.imgur.com/mJQPYOz.jpg

desisparkles
November 18th, 2019, 07:51 PM
ok I know I'm getting to the nitty gritty with these clips but I take so much time browsing, researching, perusing on here I figure why not put the pics and details out for another since I am able to.

These are the mediums and they are awesome - they aren't nearly as tough to open but they have fantastic grip. I can see how the small ones will work to secure just the ends of my hair like a tails up and this one goes directly over the bun or french twist. If I was to just choose 1 hands down the medium ones - they have a nice head curve, very comfy and can wear in the shower.

I noticed the little dents I pointed out are on all the clips, they are smooth not jagged though - must just be how they are cut or pulled apart after being mass produced.

here is the med ficcare next to the med rc roche clips

https://i.imgur.com/Dbw0Y0n.jpg

desisparkles
November 18th, 2019, 07:52 PM
smalls top two

mediums on bottom

https://i.imgur.com/SOgIi45.jpg

desisparkles
November 18th, 2019, 07:53 PM
all the mediums in classic colors

https://i.imgur.com/FX1skDf.jpg

these are a WIN in my book - sure it's only day 2 of having them but no pulling or snagging and i've been using them in so many styles, ways on my mom and me. she puts 3 of the smalls to secure her hair and it looks cool and is straight solid. she only needs 1 to secure though and we tried that but it's nice to have the 6 pack for different new looks.

Groovy Granny
November 18th, 2019, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback...they look so pretty and functional :thumbsup:
As I mentioned before, I have done well with plastic clips.... love and use them more than my Ficcares TBH (heavy in my fine hair and uncomfortable with my sensitive scalp) :shrug:
If I ever have to replace my small Ficcare collection (1 from the main site, a few from Nordstroms at half off, and a few knock offs from another site (now closed), I would definitely try them :heart:

desisparkles
November 18th, 2019, 11:53 PM
I totally agree with you GG. I love the look of the jewel ficcares but I started with ordering a medium so I could grow into it but it feels heavy.

So I scouted for a small on sale and when I got it, I realised I would only buy smalls from now on because they just feel better on me.

Groovy Granny
January 16th, 2020, 02:11 PM
How are you all doing with your clips; has your opinion changed about them?

I just bought these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XQ5FJKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

After gifting my larger Ficcares, I kept my smalls and mediums and have been using them for low/nape LWB and Nautilus buns...with comfort most of the time.

As mentioned previously, I still have some plastic Thai clips similar in shape to the ones I bought, that are very comfy and secure for half ups, cinnamon buns, and twists (and I bought them several years and have used them often! )

However the 3 I have are black... with blue, lilac, or red flowers, so when I saw these in basic colors I decided to get them; they also have pastels and clears but I have no need for those.

Now I wait ....but not long because Prime delivery will get them to me tomorrow :mail:

Looking forward to hearing how you are doing and I will give my review asap :popcorn:

desisparkles
January 16th, 2020, 11:51 PM
I am still digging them. I use them to section my hair while drying in 3 loose buns or one on either side to keep hair out of my face while air drying when I use gel. Also wear them in the shower with a cap on for non wash days. The light weight of them is really nice, these have pretty much replaced jaw clips for me although I still like my pretty jaws, these are just more comfy.

Those colors are going to look so nice on your hair, GG.

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 12:28 AM

So you don't wear them out...just for around the house?

desisparkles
January 17th, 2020, 08:13 AM
I haven't worn that type of clip out yet, not even my ficcares. I am not confident enough in my clip styling - it sounds silly when I say that doesn't it?
I stick to acrylic sticks on super high buns for the most part, flexi, scrunchi or just hair down really.

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 09:45 AM
I haven't worn that type of clip out yet, not even my ficcares. I am not confident enough in my clip styling - it sounds silly when I say that doesn't it?
I stick to acrylic sticks on super high buns for the most part, flexi, scrunchi or just hair down really.

It's not silly...it makes perfect sense... and I do the same thing with certain hair toys :o

The funny thing is that your high bun and sticks is my insecurity ;)

I am more secure with clips, but am most comfy with flexis, barrettes, and scrunchies, because the Ficcares are heavy and can slip :headache:

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 11:40 AM
They came in and I am in :crush:

The Roche clip is very light but with a strong spring, and the colors are gorgeous :heart:

I wanted a style different from my Ficcares and similar to the Thai because I go to them all the time and wished I had other colors; they hold half ups, twists, and even a LWB :thud:

These clips will be my 'go to solution' on the days my :headache: and I must put it up, and for only $10/6 clips you can't beat it! :cheer:

Thanks so much for sharing your info Gin and Dessisparkles :flowers: ~ I am so happy :joy:

desisparkles
January 17th, 2020, 12:50 PM
GG, I never, ever, ever would have thought there were styles you didn't feel comfortable with. That blew my mind! It strangely makes me feel better, too :hifive:

I really like the ones you picked. The price of the clips makes it sooo hard not to try more styles, especially because the quality really is excellent so far. But I am going to be good this year! I must stick to it.

Groovy Granny
January 17th, 2020, 01:01 PM
GG, I never, ever, ever would have thought there were styles you didn't feel comfortable with. That blew my mind! It strangely makes me feel better, too :hifive:

I really like the ones you picked. The price of the clips makes it sooo hard not to try more styles, especially because the quality really is excellent so far. But I am going to be good this year! I must stick to it.

Oh yes, there are many....between my sensitive scalp and shorter hair for the landmarks because of a short/shrinking torso :(

Then there is the wispiness which makes it impossible to do accent braids...my ends tangle :slap:
I can only do twin braids to sleep and single braids down or bunned (no french braids).

I am glad you feel somewhat better; you are not alone!

I have gifted half my collection of larger/heavier hair toys... but I feel good that they went to good homes...I couldn't stand seeing them collect dust!

Now I have only those things I can wear at a length I am comfy with, and I am happy with that :meditate:

Dutchbraids
January 22nd, 2020, 07:10 AM
I have the same set of clips. I love them, but I recently outgrew them. They still hold half-ups really well. If I use two I can get everything into a bun, but since I only have one set the colors don't match.
For the price, they are absolutely amazing!

Groovy Granny
January 22nd, 2020, 11:28 AM
I have the same set of clips. I love them, but I recently outgrew them. They still hold half-ups really well. If I use two I can get everything into a bun, but since I only have one set the colors don't match.
For the price, they are absolutely amazing!

That's nice to hear :)

You could coordinate the colors possibly? :hmm:

Were yours the Ficcare style....and were they large/5 inches...or medium/4 inches?

My hair is so fine/wispy and it compresses, so I got the medium (4") and I can use them for any style, even buns :o

Obsidian
February 1st, 2020, 03:03 PM
I just got some of these in small. Using them for a peacock twist since I'm short haired. They hold really well and I'm very surprised how stiff the spring is.
They should last me a good long while, especially since I don't plan on growing very long. Cheap enough to customize without worrying about messing up.