PDA

View Full Version : Silk Night Cap Recommendations? My hair is damaged

FallingDarkness
July 2nd, 2019, 05:49 PM
So around December I got some sunscreen in my hair and resulted in damage, somehow, for just some strands by my face. I've been trying to undo the damage (it turned gummy) with regular protein treatments. But since the hair was gummy and no damage can be completely corrected, what generally ended up happening if my hair was even still slightly damp when I went to bed was it would break off. Now I have a bunch of obnoxious baby hairs that I can't wait to grow out. What's left of them is still damaged though, so I want to be extra cautious with my baby hairs to help them grow.

I was wondering if getting one of those silk night caps would help me grow out that portion of my hair? And what some good ones are. For reference my hair is very thick and is around TBL.

Thank you!

SwanFeathers
July 2nd, 2019, 07:14 PM
You are probably better off with a silk scarf, the elastic bands on caps/bonnets was very damaging for me. Do you know if you have a health issue that's showing up in your hair?

FallingDarkness
July 2nd, 2019, 07:16 PM
Probably not. The damage/breakage is limited to just where I got sunblock in my hair all those months ago.

Where can I find silk scarves, and are they difficult to assemble? :D

AutobotsAttack
July 2nd, 2019, 07:24 PM
Probably not. The damage/breakage is limited to just where I got sunblock in my hair all those months ago.

Not really. You can find the satin/silk cuts on Etsy or Amazon. They’re very affordable, and there’s plenty of bonnet options you can try to see. The bigger and less tight the elastic is, the more room for your hair, and less stress you put on your hairline. I’ve been using bonnets and have absolutely no damage near my hairline from bonnets. I practically live in them lol. But just see which options work for you and test it out is all I can really offer.

Even local Walmart’s, or Walgreens, or dollar stores have scarves and bonnet options. (If you reside in the States)

SwanFeathers
July 3rd, 2019, 10:17 AM

I get mine all at thrift stores. I have around 8-10 floating around the house, and I paid like $5 total for all of them

Lisa Long4Life
July 5th, 2019, 09:55 AM
I've got a silk one from a seller called Nnembas on etsy. It was quite expensive but it's nice. I have a ribbon fastening rather than elastic. The only problem is, it doesn't work well with my fringe.

Tinyponies
July 5th, 2019, 02:23 PM
I've got a silk one from a seller called Nnembas on etsy. It was quite expensive but it's nice. I have a ribbon fastening rather than elastic. The only problem is, it doesn't work well with my fringe.
[sorry to hijack here, OP]
Thanks for this, Lisa! These silk caps look nice. Which did you get - was it with chiffon silk inside? Is it very smooth and satiny inside?

czech it out
July 5th, 2019, 05:30 PM
You are probably better off with a silk scarf, the elastic bands on caps/bonnets was very damaging for me. Do you know if you have a health issue that's showing up in your hair?

Hi SwanFeathers, can you specify how those elastic bands damaged your hair? Thanks! Just purchased a satin-lined beanie and wondering whether it could potentially do the same.

Hedvig
July 5th, 2019, 08:20 PM
This is perhaps a trivial concern, but do all of you who wear night caps to bed have partners? I am afraid of what my husband would say if I went to bed in a bonnet or night cap. I'm frumpy enough as is, with my nursing-friendly, child appropriate, baggy night clothes.

Tinyponies
July 6th, 2019, 12:18 AM
This is perhaps a trivial concern, but do all of you who wear night caps to bed have partners? I am afraid of what my husband would say if I went to bed in a bonnet or night cap. I'm frumpy enough as is, with my nursing-friendly, child appropriate, baggy night clothes.

Hi Hedvig, I’m in a fairly new relationship (3 years) and we don’t have children together. The benefit for me of containing my hair at night is so much (no tangles at all, and much smoother and less dry hair), that for me it overrides these concerns.

For myself, I look at it like this - I’m home, I must feel free to relax and care for myself however I choose. I’ll wear my silk cap any time I’m relaxing around the house and want to rest my head back too.

I’ve an older child from previous relationship and I get it about the clothes etc. Those precious (brief with hindsight) days are behind me forever now. I did wonder what wearing one would be like (I only started less than a year ago) but I soon got used to it.

Another point I find interesting is the developing personal feeling that to let my hair down is a special moment, I took it down while dancing last week and it was wonderful. I feel my partner gets it, he sees the improvement in my hair and the pleasure it brings me to have it tucked away safe (can you tell I really really love my hat lol, I think my excitement prob helps).

Hedvig
July 6th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Are night caps worn just over the top of your head so that your braid is coming down out of it? Or do you wear your hair up inside the night cap, and end up sleeping in a bun?

Tinyponies
July 6th, 2019, 09:28 AM
Can’t speak for everyone, but for most people I’ve read about, everything goes in. I like to coil my hair as if making a lazy wrap bun but without fixing it, let it fall into the cap as I put it on. I keep the front edge low-ish on my forehead so there’s nothing rubbing my hairline. The whole thing is loose, I can snugly get two fingers under the edge of mine when I wear it.

They vary a lot; my current one is a single layer with sewn on elastic, so I wear it inside out (smoother, elastic free side facing in).

MusicalSpoons
July 6th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Hi SwanFeathers, can you specify how those elastic bands damaged your hair? Thanks! Just purchased a satin-lined beanie and wondering whether it could potentially do the same.

I also experienced damage from my elastic; for me it was because it was too tight. The elastic itself was covered with satin but the tightness meant it rubbed away hair at my hairline, and wearing it lower on my forehead was creating lines that took a while to disappear each morning. (I'm happy to have lines/wrinkles naturally, at whatever pace my body decides, but I don't want to create more unnecessarily!) I keep considering converting it to a drawstring somehow but haven't got round to it, and the cap is the perfect size to wrap twice around my bun to cover it at night. My wispies might thank me if I could go back to wearing everything under the cap though :hmm:

Tinyponies mine is also from Nnembas, it's very smooth satin (polyester? It's not silk anyway) inside and out - double layer so it's equally smooth both sides :cloud9:

Lisa Long4Life
July 7th, 2019, 06:32 AM
[sorry to hijack here, OP]
Thanks for this, Lisa! These silk caps look nice. Which did you get - was it with chiffon silk inside? Is it very smooth and satiny inside?

This one is mine

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/590403030/100-handloom-dupion-silk-bonnet-purple?ref=shop_home_active_73

Dupion lined with chiffon silk. It is nice and smooth inside, my only quibble is dealing with my fringe but that's not the bonnet's fault.

Lisa Long4Life
July 7th, 2019, 06:32 AM
Are night caps worn just over the top of your head so that your braid is coming down out of it? Or do you wear your hair up inside the night cap, and end up sleeping in a bun?

I wrap mine like a bun without a band, put the bonnet on and let it go. So my hair is loose inside.