PDA

View Full Version : Protection from hot and dry weather?

lakhesis
June 29th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Hi, I am pretty sure there are some other people that are affected by this European heat wave right now and unusually hot temperatures for their region :confused:

I've been struggling with my ends this week, they are noticeably more dry and I want to avoid permanently damaging them.

It's 35+ degrees here (95F) and soon I will be on holidays in a desert where it's 40-50 degrees (105-120F).
My hair is hip length (need to update my stats and photos!), I wash 3 times a week and always deep condition prior to that (mask or SMT), usually cone free (occasional amodimethicone) and 80 percent of the time wear my hair up in a bun. This week I was putting leave in conditioner almost daily, those water based spray hydrators (no alcohol ofc) and even tried pure aloe vera gel... but it still feels dry if it is not just right after wash. Putting oil on it seems counter productive to me since the humidity is so low.

Any tips on what do you do in extreme weather pretty please? :o

neko_kawaii
June 29th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Make sure your leave ins don’t contain humectants. Aloe is one. Avoid it unless you have good humidity. Otherwise, your routine looks good to me for hot and dry.

lakhesis
June 29th, 2019, 02:51 PM
Oh. Almost everything I use is quite glycerin based. At home I have a humidifier because of my plants, so it is above 60 percent. Very low outside tho. What kind of products (formula wise) would you then recommend please?
Thank you for pointing this out to me.

neko_kawaii
June 29th, 2019, 02:54 PM
I don’t use any leave ins, so I have nothing to suggest there. My hair does fine with SMTs.

Ligeia Noire
June 29th, 2019, 03:12 PM
Silicones block moisture from leaving your hair and wear it up.

Six Seeds
June 29th, 2019, 07:01 PM
I don't have a list of products for you, but here is a list of humectant ingredients to avoid and some stuff to look for instead.

https://curlyhairlounge.com/know-your-humectants-to-finally-end-frizzy-curly-hair

SwanFeathers
July 1st, 2019, 01:59 PM
Bumping, I live somewhere hot&dry as well.

elsiedeluxe
July 1st, 2019, 02:03 PM
My DD's hair is very dry, and her hair drinks in moisture no matter what the relative humidity. We always make sure her hair is damp before we apply oils or creams. A spritz with some water on your ends, and then finish with the tiniest bit of oil rubbed in to your hands and then on just the ends of your hair, is what I would try.

enting
July 1st, 2019, 02:25 PM
Damp bunning may help hold on to some moisture. I agree with hair being dampened before applying oils or creams or leave in conditioners. Putting oil on it *after* washing might help seal in moisture, but even so, it may be worth seeing how your hair likes oiling even when dry. Mine does well with the *right* oil on dry hair even when it's hot and dry out. (The "wrong" oil makes my hair feel greasy on the surface and still dry. A "right" oil is one that makes the hair feel nice.)

Aloe is also a humectant if I'm recalling correctly. Try to stick with richer, creamier items and less of the gel type things that are often humectants. You may also wish to leave more conditioner in than usual at the end of your wash to try and keep the most moisture in.

lapushka
July 1st, 2019, 02:33 PM
Yep we just got out of a heatwave in Belgium.

I think you should be good with your hair in a bun.

Have you ever tried oil rinsing your ends (ROO)? The link is in my signature. I typically wash my hair. Then wring it out, put my first conditioner on let it sit for 2 min., rinse, then wring it out again (squeegeeing is more like it) and put about 15 drops of a natural oil (or max. 10 drops of baby oil) on my ends, last 6-8 inches or so, then I smack on my 2nd conditioner and let it sit 2 min. and then rinse. That's me done with my wash routine.

It keeps my ends well-moisturized. I have no splits, no white dots, and I diffuse on warm weekly (I wash weekly). And so I get a fair bit of heat (warm to cool). But it's fine. I bun when I'm up.

I have never had issues doing it this way.

Anyway. I don't think there is anything wrong with your routine as it is!