PDA

View Full Version : dry shampoo/brushing vs washing

spidermom
June 29th, 2019, 09:57 AM
I wonder which is more damaging.

My hair is extremely split prone. Recently I got a new haircut and lost 3 nasty, dried-out, split all to hel inches. (I don't mourn the loss in length and love my new haircut.) I also had some semi-permanent rose-gold color added at the scalp, color fading down the length. With the idea of prolonging the color and perhaps preserving the good condition of the ends, I decided to try washing my hair once per week instead of every 3-4 days. By day 4 all the hair at my scalp was so oily that I brushed to spread the oils down, also used dry shampoo. It left my hair looking dusty, so I brushed until it looked normal.

Then I started wondering - perhaps all that brushing would be more damaging than washing. I might achieve my goal of prolonging the color but trash my ends in the process. Also, brushing is easy right now because I got a blow-out and have straight hair rather than my natural wavy-to-curly hair.

What do you think?

bparnell75
June 29th, 2019, 10:13 AM
After all that work were you happy with the results or did you think it still needed washing? For me the long hair is less work and I like it that way.

spidermom
June 29th, 2019, 10:22 AM
For me the long hair is less work and I like it that way.

Well then I'm really happy for you.

GrowingGlory
June 29th, 2019, 10:46 AM
I think that brushing a little bit each day is less damaging than prolonged brushing. If you protect the damaged parts of your hair, and your shampoo is gentle enough for your hair in its current state, then there is no reason to avoid washing it every other day.

spidermom
June 29th, 2019, 11:00 AM
I think that brushing a little bit each day is less damaging than prolonged brushing. If you protect the damaged parts of your hair, and your shampoo is gentle enough for your hair in its current state, then there is no reason to avoid washing it every other day.

Good point. I can easily go 3-4 days before my hair starts sticking to my oily scalp.

S&S
June 29th, 2019, 10:07 PM
Why is brushing bad for your hair?

I wash my hair once a week - I love dry shampoos but have yet to find one that doesn't leave a residue. I just use it on the last day I can manage to leave my hair down... then its just tied back for the last few days before my wash.

Entangled
June 29th, 2019, 10:16 PM
In my experience, brushing frequently would cause more damage than washing. However, most of my damage has been mechanical and results from rough or careless brushing. My hair isn't particularly prone to spits, so I don't know if yours will react the same way.

spidermom
June 29th, 2019, 10:31 PM
Why is brushing bad for your hair?

I wash my hair once a week - I love dry shampoos but have yet to find one that doesn't leave a residue. I just use it on the last day I can manage to leave my hair down... then its just tied back for the last few days before my wash.

Over time, brushing can lead to weakening and damage to hair. I think it's the stretching and occasional tearing through small tangles. I can comb my hair completely smooth I think, then the brush will hit a snag and rip right through if I'm not careful enough. I do try to be careful.

I will avoid excessive brushing from now on.

S&S
June 30th, 2019, 12:37 AM
Ohh okay, good to know. Thank you!