PDA

View Full Version : Finally became a member!

gin
June 28th, 2019, 12:57 PM
So I've been this all over this forum since early this year and finally joined and became a member! Looking forward to writing a few things here and there instead of just stalking. :)

Long story short, up until early this year, I was one of those people that did absolutely nothing for their hair. I liked having not-short hair - usually at least shoulder length - but everything I did was out of laziness and just not really caring. I would use any cheap 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, rub and towel dry like crazy, then blow dry to make it dry as fast as possible so I could get on with the rest of my day. Never styled it (still don't know what styling means), never put anything in my hair except for shampoo, never put it up unless I was working out, slept on it loose, never did any treatments or anything except a big chop once a year when my hair got long enough to be annoying.

Over the past couple of years, I was lazy enough to not go get my hair cut, even when it was annoying. Then my hair grew past that point and it wasn't annoying anymore. I used to wash my hair everyday or every other day, but as my hair got longer and washing it got more annoying (do you sense a theme here???), that dwindled down to 2x/week. Then it got long enough that I had to start using separate shampoo and conditioner because detangling my hair after washing it took way too long. Then I had to find "good" conditioner (I started using Nexxus) because the cheap ones I was using weren't cutting it.

At the end of 2018 I went on a climbing trip. When I went through photos and videos, I realized just how long my hair was. It was all over the place, dragging on my clothes and the rocks and the ground (I rarely put my hair up when climbing because it never got in my face). It was just past bra strap length then, and that was when I decided I was going to look into taking care of my long hair. I went to get my hair micro-trimmed, not sure how that was going to go since I hadn't had it cut or anything in over two years. Thankfully, I learned that I am genetically-blessed with healthy hair that's pretty resilient, even after me neglecting it for basically my entire life. :)

Fast forward to now - My hair is basically at waist. I switched to all natural shampoo and conditioner, I have collected a bunch of different oils and leave-ins, sleep on a satin pillowcase with a braid, and (mostly) air dry my hair. I also put it up much more now and am starting to collect a bunch of hairtoys, learning new buns and figuring out what works and what doesn't. I still have so many questions / needed advice with regards to everything, but if I had to choose my top one(s):

- High intensity workouts - I can't figure out how to put my hair up and make it STAY. Mainly during high intensity stuff like high-knees or sprinting and changing direction. Basically are there hairstyles that can withstand whiplash-like movement? I train almost everyday so I've tried many things and most of them have failed. The most reliable is ponytail with braided length as far as not falling out, but I hate that because the length sometimes whips around and hits my body and face a lot. Also keep in mind my laziness, if there's a magic way to achieve this with one or two items and without having to use tons of pins/elastics, that would be awesome... but maybe impossible!
- Any advice for having problematic scalp: I think I have dry scalp. I used to have a small amount of dandruff, but since I switched to natural shampoo/conditioner I don't anymore. But I do get a couple bumps of scalp acne from time to time. It has gotten better since I started paying attention to my hair care routine, but I've found that I can't stretch my washes. I tried to do 1x/week for a bit, my hair did fine but my scalp did not like it. I've gone back to 2x/week. Also, do hairtoys/putting hair up affect scalp? I literally NEVER put my hair up before the past couple of months other than a loose ponytail for working out, and I'm wondering if that change could contribute to some scalp acne. Everything I do now is pretty loose because my scalp can't stand it even slightly snug/tight. It's just not used to being put up!

Looking forward to learning much more from everyone about my hair and hair in general! I don't know how long I'm going to grow mine out yet. I don't have a set goal. Probably until it gets annoying. :)

lapushka
June 28th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Welcome! :)

yl
June 28th, 2019, 10:17 PM
Hi I just became a member as well ;) trying to grow my bleached hair from bsl to classic! I think that the secret to growing long hair is not doing a lot of stuff to it, dont use heat on your hair especially if its bleached or chemically treated. My mother used to have really long hair but all this years of heat damage and getting her hair bleached to platinum blond destroyed those once beautiful and thick locks. It's really thin now and it's not as straight as it used to, she has to straighten her hair everytime she washes cause she hates how damaged it looks, it's counterintuitive cause it always ends up breaking and staying at the same lenght. Go as long as you can without washing it and use a lot of natural hair oils like coconut or olive oil and an acv rinse should help you with your scalp issues, it certainly helps me when my scalp starts getting itchy from buildup :rolleyes: . For working out you could do some cute boxer braids.

gin
June 28th, 2019, 10:39 PM
Hi I just became a member as well ;) trying to grow my bleached hair from bsl to classic! I think that the secret to growing long hair is not doing a lot of stuff to it, dont use heat on your hair especially if its bleached or chemically treated. My mother used to have really long hair but all this years of heat damage and getting her hair bleached to platinum blond destroyed those once beautiful and thick locks. It's really thin now and it's not as straight as it used to, she has to straighten her hair everytime she washes cause she hates how damaged it looks, it's counterintuitive cause it always ends up breaking and staying at the same lenght. Go as long as you can without washing it and use a lot of natural hair oils like coconut or olive oil and an acv rinse should help you with your scalp issues, it certainly helps me when my scalp starts getting itchy from buildup :rolleyes: . For working out you could do some cute boxer braids.

Yay for another LHC newbie! Yeah, I've stopped blow drying it, and I've never had any treatments or anything ever done to my hair. My scalp doesn't like oils unfortunately, though my ends are fine with them so I try to apply oil to my ends daily before bed if I remember. I've recently been starting to use an ACV rinse and my hair definitely likes it. Bonus if it helps with scalp too!

Braids when working out haven't worked out for me unfortunately, they are too annoying for me when they're bouncing all over my back and body and face. For simple predictable movements like running it can be ok, but for higher intensity stuff with lots of change in direction they just haven't worked for me. :(

Kat-Rinnè Naido
June 29th, 2019, 12:52 AM
Welcome. Enjoy your hair growing journey.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 29th, 2019, 02:53 AM
Welcome here, and also welcome to you, yl! :D

menninkäinen
June 29th, 2019, 03:17 AM
Welcome!

"High intensity workouts - I can't figure out how to put my hair up and make it STAY. Mainly during high intensity stuff like high-knees or sprinting and changing direction. Basically are there hairstyles that can withstand whiplash-like movement? I train almost everyday so I've tried many things and most of them have failed. The most reliable is ponytail with braided length as far as not falling out, but I hate that because the length sometimes whips around and hits my body and face a lot. Also keep in mind my laziness, if there's a magic way to achieve this with one or two items and without having to use tons of pins/elastics, that would be awesome... but maybe impossible!"
What about crown braid/halo braid? :)

TatsuOni
June 29th, 2019, 09:26 AM
Welcome! :)

shaluwm_agape
June 29th, 2019, 09:38 AM
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your growth journey.:)
As for hair styles when working out a crown braid definitely works or a pineapple bun. I usually do 2 buns and secure with spin pins. if I do a pineapple bun I usually put about 4 spin pins in to make sure it stays

gin
June 29th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Welcome!
What about crown braid/halo braid? :)

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your growth journey.:)
As for hair styles when working out a crown braid definitely works or a pineapple bun. I usually do 2 buns and secure with spin pins. if I do a pineapple bun I usually put about 4 spin pins in to make sure it stays

I've always wanted to legitimately try out the crown braid. I'm okay at braiding on my own hair (I can braid on other people no problem!), but am terrible when the braid is on or goes around the back of my head or when it goes upwards. I just haven't figured out how to do it yet and my tight/inflexible climbing shoulders definitely don't help! I've been starting to practice rope and dutch braids. Sometimes it goes OK and sometimes it's utter failure, but even when it's OK, the braid eventually becomes loose due to the slip of my hair. With my current braiding skills I don't have enough time to put up a braid before working out, but if/when I get better, maybe it will be a different story. I love the look of a crown braid though, wish my fingers were coordinated enough and my shoulders didn't get so tired easily.

shaluwm_agape
June 29th, 2019, 06:57 PM
Do 2 regular English braids and wrap

gin
June 29th, 2019, 07:16 PM
Do 2 regular English braids and wrap

How do you pin them to make them stay? I tried this once with U pins and the braids are too thick/heavy, it all fell apart fast. :(

neko_kawaii
June 29th, 2019, 07:45 PM
How do you pin them to make them stay? I tried this once with U pins and the braids are too thick/heavy, it all fell apart fast. :(

Spin pins might work at your thickness. For exercise, I pin my braid up in a crown with claw clips.

shaluwm_agape
June 29th, 2019, 08:00 PM
Amish pins seem to work well for me but I will be trying with spin pins to see if the hold I'd better

S&S
June 29th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Welcome!:o

gin
June 29th, 2019, 10:06 PM
Spin pins might work at your thickness. For exercise, I pin my braid up in a crown with claw clips.

Amish pins seem to work well for me but I will be trying with spin pins to see if the hold I'd better

How many claw clips / Amish pins do you end up having to use?

neko_kawaii
June 29th, 2019, 11:49 PM
My hair is much thinner than yours, I may not be able to provide any guidance. That said, I can hold my knee length braid up with four small claws and one bobby pin for a low impact mat workout. Two are positioned pretty much straight up from my temples and the other two secure the tail end in a neat coil somewhere in front. The bobby pin secures the back enough to keep it from moving. I could use a spin pin in back for greater stability, but that would take a few more seconds, and I’m lazy.

gin
June 30th, 2019, 12:06 AM
My hair is much thinner than yours, I may not be able to provide any guidance. That said, I can hold my knee length braid up with four small claws and one bobby pin for a low impact mat workout. Two are positioned pretty much straight up from my temples and the other two secure the tail end in a neat coil somewhere in front. The bobby pin secures the back enough to keep it from moving. I could use a spin pin in back for greater stability, but that would take a few more seconds, and I’m lazy.

I'm super lazy too :) A forked/multi-clawed bun can usually work for me for low impact workouts. It's the high impact/intensity ones (like sprinting, high knees, changing direction) that I just can't figure out yet.

milosmomma
June 30th, 2019, 10:15 PM
Would French or Dutch braids be less "flapping around"? I love double Dutch braids for pretty much everything but because they end far down at the nape they fly around far less than a braided pony. Or how about wrapping with a head wrap/scarf/bandana? Everything would be contained and it may even help with sweat. Welcome BTW!

gin
July 2nd, 2019, 10:57 PM
Would French or Dutch braids be less "flapping around"? I love double Dutch braids for pretty much everything but because they end far down at the nape they fly around far less than a braided pony. Or how about wrapping with a head wrap/scarf/bandana? Everything would be contained and it may even help with sweat. Welcome BTW!

Thanks! The low-nape dutch braids definitely help with intensity of the flapping, though they still flap around a bit. I also don't like them coming into contact with sweaty my arms/skin. I haven't tried the head wrap/scarf thing. I may try it out, though I'm skeptical because I tried it out sleeping once and I couldn't stand having my scalp covered, plus it was too itchy. I never wear hats or anything on my head so I think I'm just not used to that feeling.

iforgotmylogin
July 3rd, 2019, 01:20 AM
Regarding rotational acceleration of your hair, it might minimize it a bit to tie it at the nape of your neck. This puts it as close to the fulcrum(s) as possible

locksandtresses
July 3rd, 2019, 04:14 PM
is the "scalp acne" by your temples and sides of your face, or all over? because the bumps could actually be from traction from the hairdo's (I know the last thing anyone wants to hear when trying to figure out how to keep their hair up and out of their face) but if one or two hairs are being pulled too taut, it literally kills the hair follicle and can cause bumps around your hairline. I actually have been trying to regrow my temple area for this exact reason. I thought it was normal the tightness I would use for my ponytails and didn't find it uncomfortable really, but occasionally would feel twinges or certain hairs pulling - usually the thinner ones around my face, my mom always said I was tender headed so I figured it was just that. But then I would get bumps there and I didn't realize til much much later when I shaved my head that I had very thin almost non-existent hair there now where those bumps were. At first I thought I had lost the patches due to breakage or bleach but I know now it was traction alopecia from my incorrectly done ponytails. If you never had these bumps before you started putting your hair up, and if they are around your hairline and thinner hair around your face rather than all over your scalp, I would say it's not scalp acne but injured hair follicles

gin
July 3rd, 2019, 08:52 PM
is the "scalp acne" by your temples and sides of your face, or all over? because the bumps could actually be from traction from the hairdo's (I know the last thing anyone wants to hear when trying to figure out how to keep their hair up and out of their face) but if one or two hairs are being pulled too taut, it literally kills the hair follicle and can cause bumps around your hairline. I actually have been trying to regrow my temple area for this exact reason. I thought it was normal the tightness I would use for my ponytails and didn't find it uncomfortable really, but occasionally would feel twinges or certain hairs pulling - usually the thinner ones around my face, my mom always said I was tender headed so I figured it was just that. But then I would get bumps there and I didn't realize til much much later when I shaved my head that I had very thin almost non-existent hair there now where those bumps were. At first I thought I had lost the patches due to breakage or bleach but I know now it was traction alopecia from my incorrectly done ponytails. If you never had these bumps before you started putting your hair up, and if they are around your hairline and thinner hair around your face rather than all over your scalp, I would say it's not scalp acne but injured hair follicles

My scalp acne is generally in the same places - by my temples, right below my crown on the back of my head, or right behind/above my ears. Not necessarily all those areas at once, I'll usually have 1-3 bumps at one time and they could all be in different areas or in the same area. And I don't always have acne, maybe every other week or two weeks I'll get some. What you say about putting hair makes sense about my temple and crown ones, since I never/rarely put my hair up before, especially for long periods of time like I am trying now. And when I do put my hair up I put it up somewhat loosely, and I've found that the parts that I feel the most pressure are the temples and the crown areas.

The ones behind my ears I think I did have before I started putting my hair up, and I'm thinking that might be due to when I wear my glasses sometimes (I mostly wear contacts).

Although the one time I had really bad scalp acne after a climbing trip in the desert, I had all over my head. So that was probably due to the extremely dry and hot desert climate and climbing with my hair up all day, I'm guessing. I also wonder if my scalp likes to breathe, and it doesn't get much air when it's put up.

milosmomma
July 4th, 2019, 01:55 AM
Gin have to tried a Caterpillar braid? I know it has some other names but I cant think right now. You start by making a half up and tie with soft scrunchie, then tie another pony a few inches lower so on until you reach the bottom of your hair. I usually tie 3 points on my scalp before just banding the pony every few inches. You still have a "braid" hanging down but it is stiffer than usual and the extra bands may make clipping it up with a claw or a hair slide of some kind very stable. You could also use the double Dutch braids and clip them against your head for my stability. Even combining braids and then folding in half and tying the folded braid with a scrunchie, just something to shorten it so it doesnt hit you in the face during intense workouts.

Garnetgem
July 4th, 2019, 05:07 AM
Hello welcome :)

gin
July 7th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Gin have to tried a Caterpillar braid? I know it has some other names but I cant think right now. You start by making a half up and tie with soft scrunchie, then tie another pony a few inches lower so on until you reach the bottom of your hair. I usually tie 3 points on my scalp before just banding the pony every few inches. You still have a "braid" hanging down but it is stiffer than usual and the extra bands may make clipping it up with a claw or a hair slide of some kind very stable. You could also use the double Dutch braids and clip them against your head for my stability. Even combining braids and then folding in half and tying the folded braid with a scrunchie, just something to shorten it so it doesnt hit you in the face during intense workouts.

I'll try these ideas soon! I also need to get better at braiding. Will look up the caterpillar braid too.

milosmomma
July 8th, 2019, 05:06 PM
An other name for the Caterpillar braid is a banded ponytail or a bubble braid/pony. It's not a real braid but rather you are just putting scrunchies or elastics an intervals all the way down the length.