View Full Version : Oil before detangle?

Liz_H
June 27th, 2019, 08:28 PM
I managed to finger comb most of the tangles out, but now I'm curious.

My hair doesn't tangle much, but is a bit worse than usual. I'm afraid I might get some damage from detangling. Is it OK to oil before detangling? How about a heavy pre poo oiling?

AutobotsAttack
June 27th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Whatever you think might work, just give it a try. I don’t pre poo with oils as much as I once did, but they’re decent detanglers. Whatever oil you pick just test it out. You can do an oil rinse if you’d like then shampoo and detangle as usually, or detangle however you wish. I personally don’t do oil rinses since it makes my hair clump and stick together.

Liz_H
June 27th, 2019, 09:09 PM
ETA This was way too much, both oil and water. Next time I'll try a teaspoon or 2 of oil, and a tablespoon or so of water.

Thanks. I don't quite understand what an oil rinse is.
My one pre poo oiling turned out great. I added 1/3 or so cup of water to a few tablespoons of olive oil. I stirred that up and applied below the ears, cleaning the dish with my ends. By the time I could wash 2 days later, the oil was up to my roots, but left my hair feeling wonderful.

Whatever you think might work, just give it a try. I don’t pre poo with oils as much as I once did, but they’re decent detanglers. Whatever oil you pick just test it out. You can do an oil rinse if you’d like then shampoo and detangle as usually, or detangle however you wish. I personally don’t do oil rinses since it makes my hair clump and stick together.

AutobotsAttack
June 27th, 2019, 11:09 PM
Thanks. I don't quite understand what an oil rinse is.
My one pre poo oiling turned out great. I added 1/3 or so cup of water to a few tablespoons of olive oil. I stirred that up and applied below the ears, cleaning the dish with my ends. By the time I could wash 2 days later, the oil was up to my roots, but left my hair feeling wonderful.

Oil rinsing is just putting oil on your hair while your in the shower. Like a conditioner rinse but with oil.

And if you’re seeing benefits with a pre poo then I’d say stick to it.

milosmomma
June 27th, 2019, 11:25 PM
I usually detangle dry before a washable nd then again with conditioner(after a roo) so detangle, shampoo, roo, conditioner twice with more detangling. I dont detangle again until my hair is dry and I want to braid or bun. That's is how my hair likes, I suggest you just experiments and see how your hair responds :)

enting
June 28th, 2019, 12:39 AM
If I'm having difficulty detangling my hair while dry, I go get some oil to work through it. It makes a big difference in my hair. If it's wet and having difficulty detangling, I go for a vinegar rinse or a good conditioner.

MusicalSpoons
June 28th, 2019, 07:20 AM
I did once recently and it helped with the detangling, but oiling outside of my wash routine always attracts lint and ends up causing knots. I think when I oiled it was a couple of days before I washed my hair, so I didn't detangle again until wash day when I finger detangled. There was lint but I was able to get it out, thankfully.

I usually do an oil rinse when I wash, and that keeps my ends happier and easier to detangle than routinely oiling at any other time :)

lapushka
June 28th, 2019, 08:55 AM
The information to the oil rinse (rinse-out oil method aka ROO) is in my signature, Liz H!

Liz_H
June 28th, 2019, 05:21 PM
Thanks lapushka. For some reason I wasn't connecting oil rinse with ROO. The picture that came to mind was someone dumping a few cups of oil on their head!

EdG
June 28th, 2019, 08:18 PM
Dampening the hair slightly with water also eases detangling. One gets about 10 minutes to detangle before the water evaporates (depending on temperature).
Ed

GrowingGlory
June 29th, 2019, 04:57 PM
It might help to use a tiny amount of oil on your fingertips before finger detangling and finger combing.