PDA

View Full Version : Lanolin for human hair?

Scyphozoa
June 22nd, 2019, 06:44 PM
Does anyone have experience oiling their hair with lanolin? My hair is only shoulder length at the moment, so I haven't started oiling it. I'm looking to try out a few oils to see what my hair "likes." I was at a local yarn store today and they had little bottles of lanolin with jasmine for sale. I love the smell of jasmine (I have a jasmine bush on my porch that has been blooming well lately and it smells amazing :) ) and lanolin seems like it'd be very similar to sebum. Isn't it basically sheep sebum?
I nearly bought a bottle, but figured I should ask here first. My mom has some jojoba oil in the bathroom I can try out, and we might have coconut oil in the kitchen. I know those are popular.

... How do I tell if my hair likes or dislikes an oil?

Ylva
June 22nd, 2019, 06:58 PM
Several hair products contain lanolin. I've used a mask that has it, and it was a nice product. It should be fine to use on hair.

milosmomma
June 22nd, 2019, 07:44 PM
Is linalool related to lanolin? I have used lanolin for skin and loved the result. Will be checking in to hear people's thoughts I'm curious on the topic now!

Ylva
June 22nd, 2019, 07:52 PM
Is linalool related to lanolin?

Not at all. Linalool is found in many plants. Lanolin is a waxy substance produced by sheep's skin.

milosmomma
June 22nd, 2019, 09:16 PM
Oh my I had no idea, I thought it was plant based as well.

SwanFeathers
June 22nd, 2019, 10:20 PM
Oh my I had no idea, I thought it was plant based as well.

Nope, it's what makes sheep fur water repellant.

milosmomma
June 22nd, 2019, 10:47 PM

So it's basically sheep sebum? Sheepbum?? :lol:

akurah
June 22nd, 2019, 11:37 PM
I would probably not put lanolin on my hair, it's incredibly thick, it's waxy almost, and it'll be very sticky. It would be akin to petroleum jelly. If you did use it, the best way would probably be to treat it as if it were petroleum jelly and use it for the same things you would use petroleum jelly for

pailin
June 23rd, 2019, 12:20 AM
I've used it sometimes. Very carefully! Since it's very sticky, I'd rub it well between my hands to warm it up and spread it over my hands first, and you have to be careful because you don't want to catch your hands in your hair. I didn't just try to run my hands through my hair with it. I found it easier to also add a few drops of some kind of oil. Also I've used it mixed with shea butter.

Scyphozoa
June 23rd, 2019, 08:57 AM
Have you guys used the waxy stuff or the liquid? I guess the liquid is more refined? Ex. https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Solutions-Liquid-Lanolin/dp/B00028MLKC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=305D84T8KSSA1&keywords=lanolin+oil&qid=1561252288&s=gateway&sprefix=lanolin+%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-3

vs. https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Solutions-Lanolin-Pure-7-Ounce/dp/B000I1OYNK/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=lanolin&qid=1561301831&s=gateway&sr=8-8&th=1

(hope the links work!)

lapushka
June 23rd, 2019, 09:19 AM
I would probably not put lanolin on my hair, it's incredibly thick, it's waxy almost, and it'll be very sticky. It would be akin to petroleum jelly. If you did use it, the best way would probably be to treat it as if it were petroleum jelly and use it for the same things you would use petroleum jelly for

It's like putting vaseline on your hair. Even thicker than baby oil, and I can use (with my parched ends) 10 drops of that on my hair at the most before it starts getting oily feeling.

You might be good enough with a pea size, spread through palms and applied (NO MORE).

I think you might be better off using jojoba (and only a couple drops). Don't douse yourself in oil, especially not after a wash. Before a wash, you can use about a tablespoon, but after a wash it's literally drops spread through palms and applied.

And shoulder length, that's like 2-4 drops and enough.

milosmomma
June 23rd, 2019, 09:29 AM
Can it be mixed with oils or other conditioners to make it more spreadable? I think I am thinking of the right thing now, nursing mothers use it for sore...you know. But I am envisioning a very thick and hydrophobic paste, like lip balm almost. And I dont think it would mix well with...much anything else?

Reyn127
June 23rd, 2019, 09:38 AM
I would personally not do lanolin unless you’re familiar with using it already, at least for crafting, but hopefully for your skin as well. Like a few others said, it’s pretty thick and sticky, and if you’ve never oiled your hair before it might be a little too much. I would say to start with something lighter (jojoba would be great because it’s very similar to human oils). You very likely don’t need something so “heavy duty” as lanolin to start off with. I have also heard that lanolin can cause skin irritation in some people, so if you’re not certain about it’s effect on you... I might not do it, at least as the first “oil” I try.

Joules
June 23rd, 2019, 09:40 AM
I used a pre-made oil mix with lanolin before. It was ok, but not extraordinary. I wanna try it again since I have a whole different routine and overall healthier hair now, it may affect me differently.

MusicalSpoons
June 23rd, 2019, 12:04 PM

So it's basically sheep sebum? Sheepbum?? :lol:

It's why their woolly jumpers don't shrink in the rain ;)

I imagine it to be quite heavy-duty too; would be interested to hear if anyone does try it out but only out of curiosity. [Plant oils do just fine for my own hair.]

tisa
June 23rd, 2019, 12:30 PM
I wonder if it would perhaps work better as a prepoo on the lengths mixed with oils to make it easier to spread and wash out?

milosmomma
June 23rd, 2019, 02:20 PM
So I recently tried a bottle of aunt Jackie's knot on my watch and very far down the ingredients list is....lanolin! Actually I think it says lanolin-oil but there are big spaces next to the " - " so it looks funny. Maybe it is like the liquid lanolin that was linked earlier in the thread. It's actually about halfway down the list, not towards the end so much. I wonder how big of an effect it has, I do like the product and plan to continue use but just thought I would share. I wonder how many other products it may be hiding in?

ETA oh my musicalspoons I just envisioned a flock of sheep wearing colorful jumpers with rain gear :lol:

lapushka
June 23rd, 2019, 02:24 PM
I wonder if it would perhaps work better as a prepoo on the lengths mixed with oils to make it easier to spread and wash out?

Vaseline = notoriously hard to wash out, and so will lanolin be, meaning it takes a couple shampoos, maybe 2/3 to get it out. Which is why I would never recommend this on the scalp.

milosmomma
June 23rd, 2019, 02:34 PM
I would think if you mixed it with enough other products it wouldn't be much harder than a thick oil to rinse out. So does lanolin have any extra benefits that oils wouldn't? Better at sealing in moisture or provide some other nutrientshair can use? I know it helps skin heal, but hair doesnt heal.

akurah
June 23rd, 2019, 02:49 PM
I would think if you mixed it with enough other products it wouldn't be much harder than a thick oil to rinse out. So does lanolin have any extra benefits that oils wouldn't? Better at sealing in moisture or provide some other nutrientshair can use? I know it helps skin heal, but hair doesnt heal.

Except that lanolin is a waterproofing agent more so than it is a thick oil. I'm bolding it because even though it's been said several times, it feels like people are glossing over it.

Lanolin is one of those things that, given the fact we have so many alternatives, I would never put it in my hair due to the sheer hassle it would be. Just because something is great for skin and other uses doesn't mean it's going to be great for hair.

ETA: I misread a bit, but it still feels like people are glossing over that little waterproofing tidbit so instead of correcting it more excessively, I'm leaving it as is. Insofar as mixing with other oils and agents? Unless you're a chemist, I'd be concerned about getting it right (most people won't, especially on their first try) and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, is the hassle of getting it out of your hair to try again going to be worth it?

lapushka
June 23rd, 2019, 03:10 PM
Except that lanolin is a waterproofing agent more so than it is a thick oil. I'm bolding it because even though it's been said several times, it feels like people are glossing over it.

Lanolin is one of those things that, given the fact we have so many alternatives, I would never put it in my hair due to the sheer hassle it would be. Just because something is great for skin and other uses doesn't mean it's going to be great for hair.

ETA: I misread a bit, but it still feels like people are glossing over that little waterproofing tidbit so instead of correcting it more excessively, I'm leaving it as is. Insofar as mixing with other oils and agents? Unless you're a chemist, I'd be concerned about getting it right (most people won't, especially on their first try) and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, is the hassle of getting it out of your hair to try again going to be worth it?

You don't have to believe either of us, but... well, you are always welcome to try it for yourself. Of course! :)

milosmomma
June 23rd, 2019, 03:15 PM
I'm just saying that I unknowingly used it in a mixture a few times and it must be diluted enough not to reap any of the water proofing qualities it normally has because it definitely did not add any water proofing/repelling nor did it really do a good job in the mixture for sealing. I tried the product before a wash and it works well, as a leave in not so much. My hair actually felt dry sooner than usual which makes me wonder what even would the benefits be?
I think it would be a hassle as well but possible to mix with other hydrophobic items like oils. That is an experiment for someone else though, I am curious but not enough to buy any when I am unsure it was a good match for my hair in particular anyways.

akurah
June 23rd, 2019, 05:38 PM
I'm just saying that I unknowingly used it in a mixture a few times and it must be diluted enough not to reap any of the water proofing qualities it normally has because it definitely did not add any water proofing/repelling nor did it really do a good job in the mixture for sealing. I tried the product before a wash and it works well, as a leave in not so much. My hair actually felt dry sooner than usual which makes me wonder what even would the benefits be?
I think it would be a hassle as well but possible to mix with other hydrophobic items like oils. That is an experiment for someone else though, I am curious but not enough to buy any when I am unsure it was a good match for my hair in particular anyways.

So i'm not entirely sure what you mean by "my hair actually felt dry sooner", but if it's what I think you mean, the reason why your hair felt dry sooner is because lanolin, for being a waterproofing agent, will lock out moisture, and you can't get any more in.

milosmomma
June 23rd, 2019, 07:22 PM
Akurah, yes I think you've got it. I assumed it would seal it IN water as a leave in after a wash on wet hair, which the first day and a half/2 days did feel great, but I felt the need to wash sooner than usual due to it being stiff, dry and tangly. All hints that my hair needs moisture.
It was similar to when I used silicones every wash in the past(I think "knot on my watch actually does have cones and maybe the lanolin isnt even responsible) and I would have to wash every other day. Since being cones free I can go 4 days average. Natural oils are far friendlier to my hair than cones and lanolin I suppose. I would still be curious to try a more natural product with lanolin, something cone free at least so I can better judge if my hair is a fan of it. I will continue to use knot on my watch but somewhere in the washing process and not afterwards.

ReptilianFeline
June 26th, 2019, 06:17 AM
I have a hoof oil made mostly of lanoline with a bit of different nutty oils in it as well. It's liquid. I have used it as a part in some of my oil mixes, and I sometimes use it under my eyes, and I sometimes use it as a detangler in my hair when I haven't brushed my hair for a few days after washing it.

It works for me, but so do coconut oil. The hoof oil comes with a very handy brush, so I just "paint" my denman brush with it before I start detangling my hair. My hair is pretty unruly when I brush it these days, I think my hair is more 3a than 2c now that I am mostly no-pooing. It is hard to detangle and creates a big "dread" close to my head and is generally a pain to detangle. I don't shed a lot, so I'm not worried about that. After detangling with oil, my hair is easier to manage, and the "dread" stays away until I wash again.

I haven't used regular conditioner for ages. I sometimes spray my denman brush with some Urtekram conditioner to avoid static from the rubber, but that's because I have this need to use up what I buy, or it's wasted money. I use the oils and oil mixes instead. Sometimes I overdo it, but with my hair in a bun, nobody knows it.

Now, if you buy some lanolin oil, you have to be prepared for the fact that it will last and last and last forever. I think my bottle will last the rest of my life. And it's great for fixing those dark or saggy pathes under the eyes. Perks up the skin a lot. If you have creases from worrying or being angry, they will fill out a bit too. Better than any skin care products I've ever tried.

If you have a friend with horses, ask to try some natural hoof oil. Check the list of ingredients first of course.

akurah
June 26th, 2019, 09:48 AM
I have a hoof oil made mostly of lanoline with a bit of different nutty oils in it as well. It's liquid. I have used it as a part in some of my oil mixes, and I sometimes use it under my eyes, and I sometimes use it as a detangler in my hair when I haven't brushed my hair for a few days after washing it.

It works for me, but so do coconut oil. The hoof oil comes with a very handy brush, so I just "paint" my denman brush with it before I start detangling my hair. My hair is pretty unruly when I brush it these days, I think my hair is more 3a than 2c now that I am mostly no-pooing. It is hard to detangle and creates a big "dread" close to my head and is generally a pain to detangle. I don't shed a lot, so I'm not worried about that. After detangling with oil, my hair is easier to manage, and the "dread" stays away until I wash again.

I haven't used regular conditioner for ages. I sometimes spray my denman brush with some Urtekram conditioner to avoid static from the rubber, but that's because I have this need to use up what I buy, or it's wasted money. I use the oils and oil mixes instead. Sometimes I overdo it, but with my hair in a bun, nobody knows it.

Now, if you buy some lanolin oil, you have to be prepared for the fact that it will last and last and last forever. I think my bottle will last the rest of my life. And it's great for fixing those dark or saggy pathes under the eyes. Perks up the skin a lot. If you have creases from worrying or being angry, they will fill out a bit too. Better than any skin care products I've ever tried.

If you have a friend with horses, ask to try some natural hoof oil. Check the list of ingredients first of course.

Without a brand name to look for, this advice worries me.

I did some googling on "hoof oil". So far I haven't found a single one that contains lanolin, but I did find several that contained turpentine...

ReptilianFeline
June 26th, 2019, 11:39 AM
It's a Swedish brand that contains lanolin, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, lecitin and macadamia oil. Made by Sjöbogården, and most likely discontinued because I haven't found it where I bought it last time I looked. The reason I didn't put the brand in the post is because it was just a local product I didn't expect anyone to be able to find anywhere else. I'm sure there are equally environment friendly hoof oils in the US of A, despite mr D Trump's avversion to global warming.

AutobotsAttack
June 26th, 2019, 03:16 PM
There’s plenty of products with lanolin targeted towards “ethic” hair.
It’s in a lot of products like hair lotion, and balms, and whatnot. I didn’t really fancy them when I used them, since they block out pretty much any other product or water that I put on my hair. Great for sealing in water on the very ends of my hair, but that’s about it.

pailin
June 26th, 2019, 08:43 PM
I never had any problems when I used lanolin in my hair. I only used a tiny dab, mostly in the ends. Usually in combination with another oil for spreadability. Pat it in rather than rub. Never any difficulty washing it out, and I've done it many times. Not saying that everyone should try it, but I am saying that it worked ok for me.

And there's no difficult chemistry involved in mixing it with other oils. Like I said above, I mostly mixed them in my hands. The important thing for mixing isn't the type of oil; it's solubility and I can tell you they mix quite nicely.

Now if you're going to combine it in a bottle, you'll have to warm it up. I make a mixture with shea butter and lanolin for use on my hands and I basically dump it all in a jar and microwave (carefully, a little at a time) just to soften them both enough that I can stir. Sometimes I've also used coconut oil in that but not usually - it's hot where I live so coconut oil is liquid at room temperature. I like this mixture to be solid for use as a hand cream.

Anyway, lanolin mixes fine with oils.

Eta: I am a daily washer, with sulfate shampoo. So there's that.

milosmomma
June 26th, 2019, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info autobots and pailin. Autobots that information makes me want to retry the "knot on my watch" for sealing and just on the very ends this time.
Pailin I appreciate you explaining how they mix together. I dont have first hand experience mixing lanolin but I play around with alot of oils and butters so I envisioned how it would work and you confirmed my thoughts

dyna
June 26th, 2019, 09:20 PM
I don't know, and have never tried using it in human hair. But I use lanolin for other purposes. It's rather waxy (for my uses, it gets dissolved in solvent). But I don't see why it should hurt human hair (other than maybe requiring a really good wash to remove).

Hairkay
June 27th, 2019, 03:24 PM
I have no need of lanolin (sheep sebum) since I don't strip my hair of my own sebum completely. That's also one of the things I need to stay away from due to allergies. I just make do with my own sebum.

AutobotsAttack
June 27th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info autobots and pailin. Autobots that information makes me want to retry the "knot on my watch" for sealing and just on the very ends this time.
Pailin I appreciate you explaining how they mix together. I dont have first hand experience mixing lanolin but I play around with alot of oils and butters so I envisioned how it would work and you confirmed my thoughts

For what it’s worth I think it’s worth a shot. I like putting heavy stuff on my ends to seal, so maybe give it a whirl if your ends hold up well with it

pailin
June 27th, 2019, 09:31 PM
milosmama, hope that's helpful. I believe lanolin is a humectant, and maybe that's why I like it (I am a big big fan of glycerin; at the moment I'm back onto glycerin in water as a mister spray). This may also be why it's so sticky, at least at first.

I liked the lanolin and shea butter combo when I was in the US in the winter and trying to control the extra dryness and static frizz. I don't generally use it here because it's so hot and humid I don't need it. But I do like using it on my hands at night because I know it's fine when some of it gets into my hair (I figure that's inevitable since I sleep with my hair loose and just pick it up and move it around as necessary).

If you mix it into straight up oils in a bottle, so you'll have a liquid, I do find that ends up cloudy, so I guess it's not entirely soluble. So for making a mixture in a jar (not just mixing in my hands as I use it), I think it's better with other things that will be solid at room temperature.

milosmomma
June 27th, 2019, 11:06 PM
Yes you guys, sealing my ends today with the knot on my watch product with lanolin in it work great today. I did double braids and sprits the tassels and last few inches with water first and applied said product(it was extremely humid today which may have helped) but my ends feel soft, supple and moisturized even after receiving a full day of friction swinging around as I hiked in the woods :)

barnet_fair
February 27th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Resurrecting this thread to declare my love for lanolin! I love to use it on my skin, and on my hair I find it a very nice way of sealing ends of plaits against the cold. You don't need very much. Has anyone tried mixing it into a balm/salve texture, like the Nightblooming salves?

caissafrass
March 14th, 2023, 01:58 PM
I love lanolin, my hair takes it really well.... but god is that stuff thick and sticky. I always heat it and mix it into a thinner carrier oil.