PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need Inspiration ASAP :O

HaIr_freak
June 21st, 2019, 09:01 AM
I have been growing my hair diligently for at least 2 years now & the other day I was sitting in my apartment and it was all muggy and gross.
Looked at myself in the mirror and suddenly something flashed across my mind.

I pictured myself with shoulder length hair and having it all volumous and bouncy...like Jennifer Aniston in Friends or something.

Then "Long hair me" said "WHAT THE HECK, you've been OBSESSED with having like , butt length hair for ever and now you finally get close and you are thinking about the STATUS QUO???? HUH?

Help, I'm in that place where I think the grass is greener on the other side and I'll be happy if I have Jennifer Aniston Hair because its hot sometimes and muggy lol.

I half want to chop it of and half want to be Rapunzellllll

HaIr_freak
June 21st, 2019, 09:02 AM
I meant "Voluminous" not volumous....geez. Just disregard my grammar , I was ranting * oh the embarassment *

zmirina
June 21st, 2019, 09:13 AM
I'd try those tricks, where they tie a scarf around the lower section of your hair, and fold it into a lob length, then tie the scarf around the head.

But really, imagine how much styling will go to get Jennifer Aniston's volume and sleekness? When I had a bob/lob it was so much struggle, despite my hair already being straight and smooth. It just would not dry in the right directions

2gaits
June 21st, 2019, 09:15 AM
I sometimes have a similar response and it seems driven by bad hair days. It's hot currently and your hair feels blah because if you're like me you probably aren't putting much effort into it. I would suggest trying a new style of some sort. Maybe taking a bit of length and just freshening it up. Sometimes that can make a big difference. I caution against chopping a bunch off because more than likely you will regret it and have an overwhelming amount to grow back. Remember too that it is easier to put up longer hair and get it off your neck in the heat.

zmirina
June 21st, 2019, 09:57 AM
I sometimes have a similar response and it seems driven by bad hair days. It's hot currently and your hair feels blah because if you're like me you probably aren't putting much effort into it. I would suggest trying a new style of some sort. Maybe taking a bit of length and just freshening it up. Sometimes that can make a big difference. I caution against chopping a bunch off because more than likely you will regret it and have an overwhelming amount to grow back. Remember too that it is easier to put up longer hair and get it off your neck in the heat.

oh, the heat issue is so true. also, if it's humid and hot, then no amount of hair spray will keep JenniferAnistonesque voluminous bob in place. It will be frizzy, hot, and all over the place

dancedance
June 21st, 2019, 10:08 AM
Oh my goodness, do NOT get a bob in the summer of all times! I agree strongly with zmirina and 2gaits, there is nothing worse than a haircut you can’t put up when it’s hot and muggy outside. I remember in the early stages growing out my pixie when it was neck length, I went to Cedar Point in July and I swear, if there had been a salon in the park I would’ve shaved my head right then and there.

lapushka
June 21st, 2019, 10:15 AM
Try the 2-week rule thread, where you have to think at least 2 weeks about a decision. This prevents you from acting on impulse.

It might be that it is getting a little too long for comfort. That is how I always notice that my hair is getting too long for me. I start wanting short-short styles. Just cutting maybe an inch or so off might help you loads. But it's up to you.

Deborah
June 21st, 2019, 11:44 AM
If the heat is the issue, put it up in a bun, off your neck. NOTHING is cooler than a fairly high bun when it is hot.

Dark40
June 21st, 2019, 11:51 AM
I agree with Deborah. IF you're having the heat issue then put it up in a bun or ponytail, off your neck. Deborah, that is so very true that NOTHING is cooler than a fairly high bun when it is hot.

cjk
June 21st, 2019, 12:42 PM
There are good reasons a lot of men get buzz cuts in the summer. As you mentioned, it's hot and humid and muggy and quite unpleasant.

Shoulder length hair does not address that. Let me repeat it for effect. Shoulder length hair DOES NOT address that. It's long enough that it won't even be off your neck, and there certainly won't be a cooling effect.

If it's unpleasant, let me suggest two things.

First, the two-week rule. As lapushka said, take time to consider your decision. The impulse haircuts rarely end up being a good decision.

Second, get it off of your neck. Since I am known for braiding, a crown braid would be a beautiful way to contain the hair and get it off your neck.

Proverbs31
June 21st, 2019, 02:13 PM
Whenever I feel as though I want a short haircut, I try a few things first:

1 - do a faux bob or lob by making two pigtails and pulling the elastic down to the tips, then roll up and pin at nape. See how you like the way you look with the shorter hair
2 - Learn some new hairstyles on your long hair that you love, that you wouldn't be able to do on a shorter cut - this normally works for me.
3 - Shoulder-length hair doesn't really make one feel cooler in hot temperatures, though - I speak from experience of a perfectly fine shoulder-length cut that I hated and didn't minimize heat during the summer months. On the flip side, if you really do want a shorter cut, try the two-week method and then see how you feel after that =)

ExpectoPatronum
June 21st, 2019, 02:22 PM
I also recommend invoking the two week rule. If you do decide to cut, I'd take maybe an inch or so off and not cut to shoulder. You might regret it.

MusicalSpoons
June 21st, 2019, 02:23 PM
^ I was going to suggest learning a new style but Proverbs31's point no.2 is even better!

Also, definitely 2-week rule if learning a new style doesn't completely make the thoughts go away, though I'd suggest even longer if this is the first time you've been having such thoughts :) anything more than a couple of inches off is quite the commitment for regrowing.

lapushka
June 21st, 2019, 02:32 PM
And also important!

If you do decide to cut, then do yourself a favor and don't go long to short. Instead cut off one milestone at a time. So if you're at say TBL, then go to hip first. See what that says. If you soon regret that, then you *know* not to cut more off. If however you like it, go to waist. If that is not enough... and so on and so forth. Don't... never do it in one go!

After considering the 2-week rule that is!

Kat
June 21st, 2019, 06:41 PM
If you cut your hair to shoulder length... will it even look the way you envision? Does your hair naturally tend to look like that? if you don't know for sure that it does, you will be disappointed if you cut it and it doesn't look that way...

Also, will your hair look all fluffy when it's muggy out? Or will it get weighted down or flyaway in the humidity?

Kalamazoo
June 21st, 2019, 11:36 PM
Check out Ginger Rogers' hairstyle as copied by somebody with midcalf-length hair at

http://691superlonghair.blogspot.com/2015/08/ginger-rogers-style-half-updo-for.html?m=1

Is there a way you can kind of fold your hair up to look like it's shoulder-length? Then, if it doesn't look right, you can fold it a different way. The longer it gets, the more innovative you can be!

Up until I first saw that webpage above, I'd always just assumed that Miss Rogers' hair was shoulder-length & curled!

ETA: & I've read a couple places that hair grows fastest during the summertime -- at least, for some people. (It's all the perspiration, you know, accelerating the sebum production. Or at least, that's my opinion.) So, supposing a growth spurt is about to happen for you right now, wouldn't it be a shame to cut it all off, right now, just before things start hopping?

milosmomma
June 22nd, 2019, 10:58 AM
I agree with everyone who is evoking the 2 week rule and then if you still want a change to go slow and take a bit off at a time. I chopped from hip to chin and had a very long 2 year period before I felt like my true long haired self again. Dont get me wrong, I dont regret as I had loads of damage but I couldn't shake the "naked without my hair" feeling at all.

Carrieberry77
June 22nd, 2019, 11:30 AM

Agree!
I made so many mistakes by following my impulses when I had a crappy hair day. Especially bad when I got inspired by celebrities.
For example I dyed my hair black inspired by Katy Perry plus cut a blunt short lob with bangs. Terrible decision. It looks great on Katy but not on me.
I would just get a little bit of a trim to freshen up the ends and resist any impulsive urge to change your hair in a drastic way.

Kalamazoo
June 22nd, 2019, 12:39 PM
I have been growing my hair diligently for at least 2 years now & the other day I was sitting in my apartment and it was all muggy and gross.

Maybe you should buy a dehumidifier? Mine makes all the difference in the world! I got mine at Walmart for about the price of a cheap vacuum cleaner.