PDA

View Full Version : Retaining texture between washes

Haven
June 17th, 2019, 11:50 AM
I think I've made a lot of progress with my hair care since joining LHC, but it's a concern for me that by the second day after washing, my waves fall out and frizz. I would rather not do a full wash more often than every other day for the sake of not over-manipulating my hair, but I also want to be happy with how my length looks worn down when it's not freshly washed.

The less I manipulate and detangle my hair, the better it looks, but some manipulation and detangling is inevitable and necessary. I've tried a number of ways to wear it to sleep, but they only minimally change the texture results, so I typically go with a bun to minimize tangles and dry ends. When I wash, I just CWC, sometimes with a pre-wash oiling, and don't put any more products or water in until the next wash. I wear my hair down about 75% of the time and in a bun the other 25% (I'm working on wearing it up more often.)

If you have waves or curls, what do you do between washes to keep them looking their best? Is there a part of my routine that sticks out as something I could change to improve this?

lapushka
June 17th, 2019, 02:10 PM
When it's long enough you can do scalp-only washes in between if you have to wash more than once weekly. This will preserve a big chunk of the length.

You can always refresh the waves, wurls/curls with a mister bottle and a bit of leave-in or a smidge of gel after a couple days, especially if you leave it down a lot.

I think there is nothing wrong with your routine. If you like it, keep it the way it is.

There's nothing I would add, IMO it's all just fine and normal!

GrowingGlory
June 17th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Garnier makes a dry spray to control frizz and protect hair from humidity.

MusicalSpoons
June 17th, 2019, 02:17 PM
My hair is barely wavy (very frizzy) but bear with me :) I C-W-ROO-C, with the first C on for an hour+ before I get in the shower. I've been using conditioner with protein in, but not every wash, and I usually wear my hair bunned all the time except when it air dries. I've also been combing less frequently, prompted by a discussion on another thread about less combing over time helping with tangling in wavy hair.
All that to say: Recently my ends have been holding weak individual waves for a few days after washing; I don't know if it's due to the protein or the moisture or the less frequent combing or a combination of all three, though :shrug: [It dries the same way it has for the last couple of years, draped over my pillow and off the end of my bed on top of a satin scarf, which kind of acts a bit like plopping. However, it's only recently that the ends have been holding weak, non-bun waves. Before that they'd just kink and/or flip.]

I don't know if any of that is any help, but thought I'd share my minimal experience just in case :)

Simpscone
June 17th, 2019, 03:49 PM
I second what Lapuska said! I dampen my hair in the morning to refresh the texture using a water mister. Discovering how to do that is the only reason I can even wear my hair natural!

UP Lisa
June 19th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Nobody ever sees my natural waves. The only time they exist is after I wash it while it is drying. Otherwise it is always up or braided.

desisparkles
June 19th, 2019, 01:52 PM
do you have any soft rollers? They work great on unwashed hair for my texture. I just dampen ever so slightly by misting, then put the rollers in or do a high pony then put rollers on the pony part. I got mine from cvs and amazon. Let me try to find a link then I’ll edit this post with it.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/hair/hair-styling-tools/hair-rollers-and-curlers/noodle-head-curlerz/SBS-140300.html

lapushka
June 19th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Nobody ever sees my natural waves. The only time they exist is after I wash it while it is drying. Otherwise it is always up or braided.

That's about the same for me. I wear it down wash day, for a bit. But then it gets clipped up CG style, also the length (to give it some "punch"), and then I wear it up when I'm up in a Nautilus. The only time it's down is at night and during sleep. LOL!