PDA

View Full Version : Glasses and Hair/Buns/Updos

Stardreamer
June 16th, 2019, 03:40 PM
I wear glasses. I always wear my hair in a bun when I'm in public. Because I have curly hair, I brush it and it is always fluffy so I can't wear it down in public because I look ridiculous.

My glasses are a sort of teal blue, which in my opinion is kind of edgy because many people don't have this colour of glasses. My style's not edgy though, I wear leggings and a t-shirt with a sweatshirt over top. I might describe that as tomboy/mixed/don't-care-style. But I look like a nerd with glasses and a bun. I don't like my hairline either, feel very self conscious of it because it's not "full" and it gets exposed. The bun I do is just a "half-ponytail" bun ie. when making a ponytail you don't pull it through completely, so it folds and makes a "bun". I don't even like this hairstyle, but my only other option is a cinnabun. I'm not at APL yet but I was before my cut.

I control my hair with buns, but I don't want to look nerdy. I want to look edgy kind of. I feel mistaken for the "nerd" all the time, even though I am 100% not. I've been wearing this bun for ages. I really can't cope with the "glasses and bun" thing. It's really not for me.

Do you have any advice?
1. What would you recommend for my big/high forehead and poor hairline which has been abused by my buns?
2. What kind of buns do you suggest to look less 'nerdy'
3. What other hairstyles would you recommend
4. And other advice in general?
5. How to look more edgy to change my style?

Thanks

mwallingford
June 16th, 2019, 04:07 PM
1. I tend to think that braids look edgy (depending on how they're done) especially dutch braids for some reason. They may also give your hairline a bit of a break since you mentioned that is a concern of yours. But if you're not comfortable with braiding, could you try switching up hair accessories? I know you said your hair is not necessarily considered "long", but maybe in the future you could try out metal or acrylic hair toys in your desired style? As for being self conscious about your hairline; most of us are our own worst critics and I'm sure it looks nice! :flower:

2. For different bun types, have you tried a disc bun? I've never been terribly successful with it, but a lot of people swear by them.

3. See #1, but I think braids could be a good match :thumbsup:

4. I'm sure you've heard this before, but have you thought about not brushing out your curls? It will likely be better for them in the long run not to mess up the structure as much and IMMHO, natural curls are absolutely beautiful!

5. In terms of being more edgy, I would again suggest the braids!

lapushka
June 16th, 2019, 04:10 PM
4. I'm sure you've heard this before, but have you thought about not brushing out your curls? It will likely be better for them in the long run not to mess up the structure as much and IMMHO, natural curls are absolutely beautiful!

I keep re-iterating that, but she seems determined to brush it out. :)

If you could brush wet and then leave your curls to naturally dry (and not brush again until next wash), you might be able to wear your hair down!

CopperButterfly
June 16th, 2019, 04:15 PM
You could try bangs to soften the look around your face and your hairline. It's what I do.

You could also give the curly girl method a try and see if you can learn to care for your curls so they can feel manageable without being bunned.

My sister has curly hair in the 3's, and when she switched to curly girl, her hair went from bushy to beautiful defined curls.

cjk
June 16th, 2019, 04:50 PM
I didn't brush my hair last week and my curls remained through day 5. Then I brushed, the curls went poofy, and I had to refresh to get the pattern restored.

Edgy styles can depend, largely, on the person as well. And accessories. A bun doesn't have to look like a bookish librarian.

I wear and style with halfups and braids, regularly. And while I am most definitely a nerd, I get viking and biker far more often these days, along with hippie.

Stardreamer
June 16th, 2019, 05:03 PM
1. I tend to think that braids look edgy (depending on how they're done) especially dutch braids for some reason. They may also give your hairline a bit of a break since you mentioned that is a concern of yours. But if you're not comfortable with braiding, could you try switching up hair accessories? I know you said your hair is not necessarily considered "long", but maybe in the future you could try out metal or acrylic hair toys in your desired style? As for being self conscious about your hairline; most of us are our own worst critics and I'm sure it looks nice! :flower:

2. For different bun types, have you tried a disc bun? I've never been terribly successful with it, but a lot of people swear by them.

3. See #1, but I think braids could be a good match :thumbsup:

5. In terms of being more edgy, I would again suggest the braids!

In reply to:
1. I have no hair accessories. I'm sure I criticise my hairline more than others, but it really does go back a lot, making me think I have hair loss there!
2. Tried it but I need a hair stick for that
4. Yeah but the problem was that they're still thick and a bit fluffy. Being between shoulder length and APL, they go in my face and I can't stand how short they are.

Thanks

MusicalSpoons
June 16th, 2019, 05:07 PM
In reply to:
1. I have no hair accessories. I'm sure I criticise my hairline more than others, but it really does go back a lot, making me think I have hair loss there!
2. Tried it but I need a hair stick for that
4. Yeah but the problem was that they're still thick and a bit fluffy. Being between shoulder length and APL, they go in my face and I can't stand how short they are.

Thanks

Could you perhaps do a half-up to keep them out of your face? (I don't know if it would solve the whole problem but it did spring to mind.)

Stardreamer
June 16th, 2019, 05:08 PM
I keep re-iterating that, but she seems determined to brush it out. :)

If you could brush wet and then leave your curls to naturally dry (and not brush again until next wash), you might be able to wear your hair down!

Hahah very determined. DON'T BRUSH WHILE WET! Combing is best for wet hair. But I find my curls just go in my face, tickle my neck, go everywhere...

You could try bangs to soften the look around your face and your hairline. It's what I do.

You could also give the curly girl method a try and see if you can learn to care for your curls so they can feel manageable without being bunned.

My sister has curly hair in the 3's, and when she switched to curly girl, her hair went from bushy to beautiful defined curls.

Thanks!

I didn't brush my hair last week and my curls remained through day 5. Then I brushed, the curls went poofy, and I had to refresh to get the pattern restored.

Edgy styles can depend, largely, on the person as well. And accessories. A bun doesn't have to look like a bookish librarian.

I wear and style with halfups and braids, regularly. And while I am most definitely a nerd, I get viking and biker far more often these days, along with hippie.

I'm thinking of going for the hippie style, awesome!

Stardreamer
June 16th, 2019, 05:08 PM
Could you perhaps do a half-up to keep them out of your face? (I don't know if it would solve the whole problem but it did spring to mind.)

I could - but I feel like curls make me look immature, young, strange.

cjk
June 16th, 2019, 05:21 PM
I could - but I feel like curls make me look immature, young, strange.

You want edgy? Embrace the strange!

What I mean is that you can work with your hair. The way you describe it as thick, voluminous, and naturally curly is basically any hairdresser's dream. Women pay hundreds of dollars to achieve what you have naturally.

It really is true, each of us wants what we don't have.

Styling is a language. Yeah, that's a good way to think of it. A language. What are you wanting your hair to say?

And I'll just point out that your hair, in conjunction with your clothes, your makeup, any jewelry you wear, and so forth will ALL tell a story. In the "Show your hair pictures" thread one of the ladies is wearing 2 small accent braids and she looks like she just stepped out of a Viking village. Gorgeous.

Paired with some cigarette pants, a loose white blouse, and a slim fitted leather jacket she'd look edgy and cool.

It's the whole package, not JUST any individual element. And that includes the hair.

NeonPink
June 16th, 2019, 05:41 PM
I feel like we're kind of on the same boat, even though I don't have "edgy glasses" I do have kind of nerdy ones, and I also wear leggings and a t-shirt all the time. I've found that what has helped me look a bit edgier is to wear my buns a bit higher, low buns give off a more put-together and professional kind of look I think which maybe is why you think it makes you look nerdy, also what I think has made a huge difference is wearing chokers, I find that helps my neck look less bare from wearing a bun and it can also look edgier depending on the style you pick. The rest can be mostly about accessories you pick like that, like some big combat boots or a cute bag or something like that can make a look even if you're just wearing leggings and a t-shirt

Stardreamer
June 16th, 2019, 06:33 PM
You want edgy? Embrace the strange!

What I mean is that you can work with your hair. The way you describe it as thick, voluminous, and naturally curly is basically any hairdresser's dream. Women pay hundreds of dollars to achieve what you have naturally.

It really is true, each of us wants what we don't have.

Styling is a language. Yeah, that's a good way to think of it. A language. What are you wanting your hair to say?

And I'll just point out that your hair, in conjunction with your clothes, your makeup, any jewelry you wear, and so forth will ALL tell a story. In the "Show your hair pictures" thread one of the ladies is wearing 2 small accent braids and she looks like she just stepped out of a Viking village. Gorgeous.

Paired with some cigarette pants, a loose white blouse, and a slim fitted leather jacket she'd look edgy and cool.

It's the whole package, not JUST any individual element. And that includes the hair.

Yeah that's so important...
I'm going to change my clothing style someday and my hair along with it. I'm a kind of "couldn't really care" person so I guess my hair can reflect that.

Decoy24601
June 16th, 2019, 08:11 PM
High buns are very trendy right now, at least I think they still are. I've never liked the look of them personally and my hair is far too heavy for that, but it might work.

I personally don't find buns "nerdy" at all, but I also don't really buy into the whole "nerdy" image/stereotype thing. People are who they are, flaws and strange traits at all, and I think people end up looking awesome most of the time if they embrace that and wear it with pride. I don't think hair alone would contribute much to being "nerdy" anyways.

Edit: And messy buns. It's worth noting that I think braids are getting more popular again because of Game of Thrones.

Wusel
June 17th, 2019, 04:34 AM
I think bangs look good with glasses. I don't think I look nerdy (I LOVE the nerdy look! I AM a nerd! I'm the female version of Sheldon Cooper) and I wear my hair up always, never down. I let my bangs grow out though, will see how the glasses look with longer bangs. But maybe cut them back in sometime.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37021&d=1558726381

Suortuva
June 17th, 2019, 05:35 AM
If you have problems with your hairline, what about a headband (soft stretchy fabric) or a scarf wrapped around your head like a headband to cover your hair line? This should work with buns and braids and you could experiment with colours.

And double Dutch braids, could that be something for you?

Stardreamer
June 17th, 2019, 04:51 PM
If you have problems with your hairline, what about a headband (soft stretchy fabric) or a scarf wrapped around your head like a headband to cover your hair line? This should work with buns and braids and you could experiment with colours.

And double Dutch braids, could that be something for you?

Yea that appeals to me - the scarf thing, but not in school! I don't really like having two "tails" from the double dutch braids - I like how they gather my hair nicely on the head but don't like feeling the two braids. I get worried that they're thin - not really the hairstyle for me, and 2x Dutch braids pulls the hair back from my hairline, exposing it.

I can have my hair down if it's straightened I suppose - but it's horribly uneven, I'll need to get it fixed.

Stardreamer
June 17th, 2019, 04:52 PM
I think bangs look good with glasses. I don't think I look nerdy (I LOVE the nerdy look! I AM a nerd! I'm the female version of Sheldon Cooper) and I wear my hair up always, never down. I let my bangs grow out though, will see how the glasses look with longer bangs. But maybe cut them back in sometime.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37021&d=1558726381

That looks pretty!

cjk
June 17th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Why not have some fun with braids? I regularly do two dutch braids that I join into a single tail.

https://i.imgur.com/ueJ0lAN.jpg

Or really go for something different. This was my first ever attempt at crown braiding.

https://i.imgur.com/HJpWCEd.jpg

Stardreamer
June 18th, 2019, 03:35 PM
I'll try a different style when my hair's longer. Thanks :)

milosmomma
June 18th, 2019, 08:25 PM
I think double dutch braids are edgy and they are a go to style. You could pair them with a fringe or some sort as well, maybe just some face framing pieces to break up your front hair line? I keep some shorter front pieces since having my last shed and I have very thin patches at the temples and in front of the ears so I keep some short tufts to kind of make it look intentional. I also love the idea of gathering the two tails from the Dutch braids like cjk has demonstrated. So could pin into a bun or just tuck the tails under each braid and pin in place as well.

Elodea
June 22nd, 2019, 08:35 PM
I also wear glasses and usually my hair is in a simple nautilus bun w/ stick these days although I don't personally feel that it makes me look nerdy. Like some other people have already suggested, I think spicing up your hairstyles with braids of some sort could help. I think your hair might be long enough to do a crown braid, at least along the crown/front of your head.

I don't know if you're open to dyeing your hair, but you could dye it (or just part of it) an unnatural color (teal to match your glasses?) which would probably look edgy like you want. Certain styles of hair sticks/toys also could give your cinnabun an edgier look. Honestly, I think hair sticks in general are kind of edgy because they're relatively uncommon to see. Some kind of partially shaved hairstyle (side shave or undercut) would also definitely look edgy although you might not be open to shaving part of your hair off.

Depending on how/if you wear makeup, that definitely can affect how edgy your style appears. If you don't wear any, perhaps consider starting to wear some. If you do, maybe change up what you usually do for makeup?