PDA

View Full Version : Water soluble silicones?

Mandymandymandy
June 16th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Does anyone no of any shampoo and conditioner that have water soluble silicones in ones that work with dry hair please? Struggling to find one that only have water soluble silicones

lapushka
June 16th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Does anyone no of any shampoo and conditioner that have water soluble silicones in ones that work with dry hair please? Struggling to find one that only have water soluble silicones

What are you using currently - just to have an idea. And do you like it or not? Also, where in the world are you. It might be easier recommending things to you if we know your location as products can vary a lot country to country.

Mandymandymandy
June 16th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Thanks for replying I was using bed head recovery but weighed my hair down , now I’m using Noughty 97% natural ingredients but causing breakage and dryness, I’m looking for a in between something with silicone but not heavy as I do have very dry hair, I’m from the uk

lapushka
June 16th, 2019, 03:01 PM
I would try the Garnier Ultimate Blends line. They have shampoos for dry to very dry hair in their line. Here's an overview:
https://www.garnier.co.uk/hair-care/beauty/ultimate-blends/ultimate-blends-hair-care

And here's the one with argan oil (for dry hair):
https://www.garnier.co.uk/hair-care/beauty/ultimate-blends/argan-oil-and-almond-cream-for-dry-hair/shampoo-for-dry-unruly-hair

MusicalSpoons
June 16th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Oh, UK, I can help! If you live near a Poundland, Poundworld, The Range, B&M or something similar, you're likely to find conditioner with water-soluble cones, maybe even shampoo too (I've not looked too closely at the shampoos though because I generally don't do well with sulphates and don't bother looking further down the ingredients list when they invariably contain SLES). I do have some Ultimate Blends conditioners but haven't tried them yet.

[Silicone-free but I highly recommend Faith in Nature BB Rose conditioner, if that's within your price range. It gives me the most slip I can ever remember! The shampoo might do you well too but I've not tried it so can't be sure.]

What's your current wash routine, out of interest? If you find something that's better but not quite good enough, maybe there's a tweak or two that could help.

hayheadsbird
June 17th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Seconding the faith in nature bb rose conditioner, I've been trying the shampoo too and really like it!

Lady Stardust
June 17th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Can I jump in and ask about the Faith in Nature conditioner please? :)

Would you say that it improves your hair with repeated use, ie improving the moisture levels, or does it just give good slip at the time? (Both are good qualities, I’m trying to up the moisture levels to increase elasticity. Also only looking for cruelty free products so the brand fits the bill!)

Thank you. I noticed that Faith in Nature is buy one get one half price in Holland & Barrett, just to add a hopefully useful point and not just to hijack the thread :)

SeRe
June 17th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Some silicones are not water soluble but are volatile. Have you looked into them? They don't build up easily as they evaporate.

It's a 10 leave in has it.

MusicalSpoons
June 17th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Can I jump in and ask about the Faith in Nature conditioner please? :)

Would you say that it improves your hair with repeated use, ie improving the moisture levels, or does it just give good slip at the time? (Both are good qualities, I’m trying to up the moisture levels to increase elasticity. Also only looking for cruelty free products so the brand fits the bill!)

Thank you. I noticed that Faith in Nature is buy one get one half price in Holland & Barrett, just to add a hopefully useful point and not just to hijack the thread :)

It contains several amino acids, which are apparently good for helping retain moisture. It has helped with repeated use, but best with sustained use - my hair would feel great with it and would happily go longer between washes if my scalp hadn't needed a thorough cleansing each week(ish). After several washes not using it I am starting to feel the difference. [It also rinses *really* well, which surprised me as I thought it would be heavier than it turned out to be!]

Just remembered (back on topic): Richard Ward volumising conditioner (available in Waitrose) also has a water-soluble silicone; it takes a little longer to feel like it's thoroughly rinsed out than my other conditioners but doesn't weigh my hair down and gives great slip too. (I bought a few bottles when it was on offer - the only way I only ever buy products in this kind of price range! :lol:)

renia22
June 18th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Perhaps Paul Mitchell shampoo 1 could work for you? It does come in a trial size..

(I just checked and the Awapuhi one might also be good)

AutobotsAttack
June 18th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Most silicones in typical cosmetic products are water soluble anyways. The other ingredients formulated with them typically all go into the effectiveness of how they perform on your hair. There’s too many cones to list, but maybe just try finding one that you like? You don’t have to go all out, just try one that catches your eye and see how you like it for however long.

MusicalSpoons
June 18th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Most silicones in typical cosmetic products are water soluble anyways. The other ingredients formulated with them typically all go into the effectiveness of how they perform on your hair. There’s too many cones to list, but maybe just try finding one that you like? You don’t have to go all out, just try one that catches your eye and see how you like it for however long.

That's kind of technically correct, but in this context the solubility refers to how the silicone behaves once it's on the hair. Maybe for precision we should say 'water-rinsable' :wink: see the notes next to the headings in this post: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html

bonded with the hair. Silicones are polar molecules and more strongly attracted to damaged areas of the hair because those are more charged. Water-soluble silicones are ones that should have that bond disrupted by water alone, whereas the others need a surfactant to wash them off, and almost always require a more effective surfactant than the fatty alcohols usually found at the top of the ingredients lists on conditioners".
HOWEVER I'm second-guessing myself on the bonds disrupting bit, and I'm not sure why I might make that up but I've just about used up all my brainpower this evening :confused:]

Of course the formulation of the rest of every product will indeed affect exactly how the silicones behave and how the product works with one's individual hair chemistry - just like any other type of ingredient :)

Lady Stardust
June 18th, 2019, 03:25 PM
It contains several amino acids, which are apparently good for helping retain moisture. It has helped with repeated use, but best with sustained use - my hair would feel great with it and would happily go longer between washes if my scalp hadn't needed a thorough cleansing each week(ish). After several washes not using it I am starting to feel the difference. [It also rinses *really* well, which surprised me as I thought it would be heavier than it turned out to be!]

Thank you! I might give it a try :)

AutobotsAttack
June 18th, 2019, 04:00 PM
That's kind of technically correct, but in this context the solubility refers to how the silicone behaves once it's on the hair. Maybe for precision we should say 'water-rinsable' :wink: see the notes next to the headings in this post: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html

bonded with the hair. Silicones are polar molecules and more strongly attracted to damaged areas of the hair because those are more charged. Water-soluble silicones are ones that should have that bond disrupted by water alone, whereas the others need a surfactant to wash them off, and almost always require a more effective surfactant than the fatty alcohols usually found at the top of the ingredients lists on conditioners".
HOWEVER I'm second-guessing myself on the bonds disrupting bit, and I'm not sure why I might make that up but I've just about used up all my brainpower this evening :confused:]

Of course the formulation of the rest of every product will indeed affect exactly how the silicones behave and how the product works with one's individual hair chemistry - just like any other type of ingredient :)

I was under the assumption we were talking about cones mostly found in conditioners. Most formulated with water as the first ingredient are soluble from the get go. I believe. Hence my statement of saying most products concerning shampoo and conditioner are. Im under the impression we are talking about the PEGs more so than the actual silicones and dimethicones we all know.

Guess I too could’ve been more specific. I personally love silicones, especially the water soluble ones, because they allow me to really pack in the moisture and they play friendly with other products I have. I guess it’s because I separate the cones used for sealing from the ones used in moisturizing products rather strictly. I suppose leave ins could be factored in as well as a suggestion?

Mandymandymandy
June 23rd, 2019, 03:47 PM
Thank you for all the replies I will look in to them,by using the 97% natural hair shampoo and conditioner my hair got worse and worse I know they say it can detox but I tried it for many weeks with no improvements, I will look in to faith in nature , I’m also getting a lot of hair loss we’ll shedding especially when I wash it and throughout the day my hair is everywhere really beginning to depress me, it has a white bulb at end so I know it’s not breakage, Just wish they made a noticed product to help ��

Slightly of topic but does anyone know if diet can affect hair with dryness and hair loss ? As in not eating much like once a day as I am trying to overcome a eating disorder I’ve had for many years

milosmomma
June 23rd, 2019, 07:40 PM
Mandy, do you think its alot more hair shedding than usual or could you just be paying attention to it more lately? You could try to keep your hair contained for the whole day and collect the sheds to see exactly how much you lose. If you think this will add stress then disregard my comment. They say 100 hairs is normal but I feel like it's just an average and maybe people have their own average rate. I believe normal for me is about 50, so when I was losing well over 100 a day after having my youngest child I knew that was a pretty heavy rate for my personally.

Washing and manipulating your hair will be the time when most of those sheds will escape, they are falling g throughout the day but you are physical removing them when washing and brushing.

I believe 100% yes that not eating enough and giving your body the nutrients it need will effect hair. I have heard of shedding from eating disorders in particular. Are you speaking with a doctor about your diet? I would reach out to one for some advice on how many calories your body needs, or if a supplement or multivitamin would be appropriate. I am sorry you have to go through the demon of eating disorders but glad you are overcoming it, I am proud of you, it is not easy feat.

Lady Stardust
June 24th, 2019, 04:38 AM
Thank you for all the replies I will look in to them,by using the 97% natural hair shampoo and conditioner my hair got worse and worse I know they say it can detox but I tried it for many weeks with no improvements, I will look in to faith in nature , I’m also getting a lot of hair loss we’ll shedding especially when I wash it and throughout the day my hair is everywhere really beginning to depress me, it has a white bulb at end so I know it’s not breakage, Just wish they made a noticed product to help ��

Slightly of topic but does anyone know if diet can affect hair with dryness and hair loss ? As in not eating much like once a day as I am trying to overcome a eating disorder I’ve had for many years

I’ve used various Noughty shampoos and conditioners and some of them aren’t very moisturising but others are much better. I don’t suppose you want to try another though ispf you’ve had a bad experience with one. Just for reference though, I find the Shine range more nourishing than the Pumped Up (didn’t like that one at all). I use the Wave Hello range most of the time, it reduces frizz more than the others but I do need to use leave in and/or curl cream as well to get enough moisture.

What you’re eating/not eating will certainly affect your hair. :grouphug: I’ve been where you are, it took me a long time but I started with eating regularly, even if it was one bite of something at each meal time (and usually on my own) but having just something, regularly, helped me because it helped my blood sugar. One bite one day might lead to two bites another day, and it got better from there. It was a step towards making my relationship with food more normal.

Mandymandymandy
June 25th, 2019, 06:13 AM
ndy, do you think its alot more hair shedding than usual or could you just be paying attention to it more lately? You could try to keep your hair contained for the whole day and collect the sheds to see exactly how much you lose. If you think this will add stress then disregard my comment. They say 100 hairs is normal but I feel like it's just an average and maybe people have their own average rate. I believe normal for me is about 50, so when I was losing well over 100 a day after having my youngest child I knew that was a pretty heavy rate for my personally.

Washing and manipulating your hair will be the time when most of those sheds will escape, they are falling g throughout the day but you are physical removing them when washing and brushing.

I believe 100% yes that not eating enough and giving your body the nutrients it need will effect hair. I have heard of shedding from eating disorders in particular. Are you speaking with a doctor about your diet? I would reach out to one for some advice on how many calories your body needs, or if a supplement or multivitamin would be appropriate. I am sorry you have to go through the demon of eating disorders but glad you are overcoming it, I am proud of you, it is not easy feat.[/QUOTE]

I have had shedding a lot for a while it did ease a tiny bit for about 3 weeks and starting again it’s been like this a long time over the course of 2 years I’ve lost around 35% of my hair maby more, that’s why I’m wondering could it be a vitamin deficiency?
Plus the hair that’s growing on the top is very dry and sparse and could looking it’s like a burillo pad , I’m devistated and I have seen a dermatologist he said it’s dry hair and no other help