PDA

View Full Version : Help! My hair is falling out in clumps :')

1781uran
June 14th, 2019, 04:12 AM
So, lately any time i even touch my hair a bunch of it stays on my hands. Washing is traumatic, ya know? Like, after I'm done there's a handful of hair. I don't know what to do anymore. My hair is thick and there's a lot of it so maybe it's normal? It has only been like that for the last few months or so :/ do any of you have any tips or like things i could take (vitamins or something?) to reduce the amount of fallout? Pretty please? I'm desperate. If there are any threads about that (which there probably are) I'd appreciate a link. Luv ya'll.
I made this account just so i could ask this question :') been lurking for a while though.

lapushka
June 14th, 2019, 04:31 AM
What do you mean by chunks? Really tufts of hair, or a couple of hairs? Because just about 10 hairs is "normal". Also, there's the thing of seasonal sheds going on ATM.

If it's really "chunks", then you need to go see a doctor asap!

Welcome to the forum BTW! :)

Wusel
June 14th, 2019, 04:38 AM
It might be seasonal, as lapushka said... sometimes it's even 3-4 months of seasonal shedding and it's really bad... I've been through that too many times...

Carrieberry77
June 14th, 2019, 05:42 AM
So, lately any time i even touch my hair a bunch of it stays on my hands. Washing is traumatic, ya know? Like, after I'm done there's a handful of hair. I don't know what to do anymore. My hair is thick and there's a lot of it so maybe it's normal? It has only been like that for the last few months or so :/ do any of you have any tips or like things i could take (vitamins or something?) to reduce the amount of fallout? Pretty please? I'm desperate. If there are any threads about that (which there probably are) I'd appreciate a link. Luv ya'll.
I made this account just so i could ask this question :') been lurking for a while though.
I'm sorry to hear that.
How many hairs are you losing in a day If I may ask?

queencarrion
June 14th, 2019, 07:06 AM
That sounds so stressful :( I can empathize, last year I lost about 30% of my hair because of an eating disorder relapse and it was very upsetting.

It could be a vitamin deficiency of some kind, have you been dieting or restricting your caloric intake recently? If your hair loss is significant I would suggest seeing a doctor if you are able to do so, and have them check for any deficiencies or other issues such as thyroid (e.g. with bloodwork). In the meantime you could try taking a multivitamin with iron in it. Good luck to you.

lapushka
June 14th, 2019, 07:51 AM
That sounds so stressful :( I can empathize, last year I lost about 30% of my hair because of an eating disorder relapse and it was very upsetting.

It could be a vitamin deficiency of some kind, have you been dieting or restricting your caloric intake recently? If your hair loss is significant I would suggest seeing a doctor if you are able to do so, and have them check for any deficiencies or other issues such as thyroid (e.g. with bloodwork). In the meantime you could try taking a multivitamin with iron in it. Good luck to you.

Hold on. It can be dangerous to just up and take vitamins willy nilly (esp w/ iron) because you *can* take to much iron, and that's not good.

I would have a doctor check bloodwork first to see if there is any *need*.

akurah
June 14th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Couple of things...

Have you been to the doctor?

How certain are you that this is new? I ask this specifically because people who decide to grow long hair suddenly pay a LOT more attention to their hair, and suddenly the amount of hair that's coming off their hair feels like it's massive, when it's actually the same as it ever was.

Whenever I touch my hair while it's down, no matter what reason why I'm touching it, I lose at least 1 to 10 strands--this is in part because I do not wash regularly, so the mechanical action of washing which naturally removes some sheds happens less frequently, so the sheds hang out in my hair. Whenever I wash my hair, I lose a lot, or, more accurately, it looks like I lose a lot, even though for the most part it's a normal amount when my alopecia areata is not acting up.

Other key points: Do you actually see any real thinning when examining your scalp? Or any bald spots? If you cannot tell if your hair is thinning when looking at your scalp, and if you do not have bald spots, you're probably ok. The hairs that are loose and come off our head can be deceptive, especially because they are long. Long hairs that are shed can look like MORE hair than it is in terms of number of strands, due to the length.

And also, go to the doctor about this.

1781uran
June 14th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Ah, yeah my hair is noticeably thinner. And I'm under constant supervision. I have vit. D deficiency but I've been suplementing since forever. Oofie but no it's not 10 hairs or what not. If i brush my hair through with my fingers 20-30 hairs will fall out. And sometimes i just touch my hair and there's ~10 hair on my hand ~shiver~ maybe it is seasonal or maybe all the medicine I'm taking is messing it up (probably) dunno. Ah and no i don't do diets or restrict. Been there done that ended up in a mental hospital :'))
Ah and thank you everyone for your kind replies

akurah
June 14th, 2019, 08:15 PM
It's not really clear what you mean by "under constant supervision"? By a doctor? And if so, have you actually told them you're upset your hair is falling out?

Don't assume it's a side effect of a drug either--hair loss can be symptoms of various things. My hair loss, alopecia areata, is an autoimmune condition where my immune system is attacking the hair follicles. It comes and goes for me thankfully, and it's never gotten more severe, it just.. goes away then sometimes comes back. It's also (as far as we know) completely independent of any other condition. That said? Hair loss can be a symptom of a thyroid problem, or a number of other things.

And if the hair loss is caused by medication for something (as opposed to being caused by a condition), there may be medication alternatives that either do not have hair loss as a side effect, or it could be less severe.

AutobotsAttack
June 15th, 2019, 01:43 AM
Yes please explain the “constant supervision”.
Also what kind of meds are you taking?

1781uran
June 15th, 2019, 04:14 AM
Ah well, i see my main doctor every 2 weeks and now i keep seeing other professionals like cardiologist and what not because I'm getting many tests done Ah and the meds i take are
Iprazochrome 7.5mg
Vit.D 4000 IU
Zoloft 100mg
600mg magnesium
Desloratadine 10mg (for allergies)

Kat-Rinnč Naido
June 16th, 2019, 01:41 AM
Hi!
Have you spoken to your doctor about the hair loss?
Did your hair loss begin after being prescribed these meds/vitamins.
Have you visited a dermatologist to assess your scalp health?

lapushka
June 16th, 2019, 04:35 AM
Yes, if you see your doctor every 2 weeks, do address it!

milosmomma
June 16th, 2019, 09:15 AM
If you think it wont cause more stress and make matters worse have you actually counted the sheds? When I was having my postpartum shed and losing over 100 hairs daily I counted them on a few occasions so that when a balled up the sheds I would have an idea of how many were in the clump instead of counting everytime. So if I lost 100 hairs I had a hair ball so next time I could just compare to the 100 hair ball or a 50 hair ball clump and see is the shedding slowing or worsening. I understand its stressful, but for me counting didnt add any more negative feelings. The hair was already coming out whether I counted or not. I actually felt more in control or at least had more knowledge. They say 100 hairs a day is still within the normal range but for me just over 100 a day was more than the 20-50 which was normal for me before post partum. Like I said though, if you think counting will add to stress levels then just disregard this part of my post.
I'm not sure your routine but I would avoid putting any oils or conditioners directly 9n your scalp. That always causes more hair fall for me and some others on the forum. Other than that I agree to follow up with your doctors because the falling is causing you concern. Do keep us updated and I'm hoping you a quick solution to this shedding.

ExpectoPatronum
June 16th, 2019, 09:31 AM
I started shedding a lot after starting a new medication. I'd definitely bring it up to your doctor. It could be a side effect of something you're taking.

1781uran
June 16th, 2019, 09:40 AM
Okay, I'll bring it up on my next visit. Thanks ya'll <3