PDA

View Full Version : Layers?

cosmicboogie
November 6th, 2008, 07:10 PM
From looking around the site I've found that most people aren't a big fan of layers in their hair. I'm looking for some opinions, either for or against. I have APL 2a hair that goes to 1b the day after a wash or wetting, and I'm wondering whether or not to keep my layers.

Right now I have layers as well as bangs, and the bangs would have to stay, since I start looking a little too much like my father without them.:ponder:

So...opinion time, let me have it. I would post some pictures but I'm in the middle of a hair moisturizing mask(Body Shop Brazil Nut, if you're curious).

Miyani
November 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM
The Brazillian Nut is my all time favorite!!! lol but I have a few layers that I'm trying to grow out like my bangs. I want my hair to be all the same length. :)

mommy101405
November 6th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I like them when I wear my hair down but hate them when trying to wear them up. My hair can get bushy and them help from keeping me get a triangle head too.

AnneAdeline
November 6th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I'm currently trying to grow out my layers. My problem with them is I can't do as many updos/braids without chunks sticking out here and there.
Just do what you think looks best. :)

Vitalai
November 6th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I really love my layers. I haven't decided whether to grow them out or keep them, but I've heard that layers are a pain when trying to do updos. I'm keeping them for now, since at my length I don't have much choice with updos anyways. It's your personal preference really.

Jessikinz
November 6th, 2008, 08:02 PM
My hair has always been cut into layers until I found the LHC. I don't like them at all, strands are always poking and falling out of updos. I've been growing them out, and now they are at a length where it can all fit into an updo without having loose strands coming out. I am trimming my ends so that the layers can catch up and hopefully will be all one length. It's basically about what you prefer, and how you want your hair to look like. If you like them or not. Its all about personal preference.

manderly
November 6th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'm with mommy. Without my layers, I run the risk of the triangle head.

My layers are long enough to not have a problem with many updos, so it's just a matter of what you like. Braids look kind of crappy with layers, but I'm not a fan of braids, so it's a moot point for me!

Tangles
November 6th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Some layers around my face really make me feel more put together. When my hair was long before, I didn't have layers and I remember feeling like I had constant flat-head. I'm gonna keep a couple in just around my head.

crystal_89
November 6th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Its really down to personal preference. You may find that if you're the type of person who wants to put their hair up all neat and tidy without little sticky outty bits its may be better to have hair without layers. Then again, if you're into trends (like me) and wear your hair down a lot (like me) and feel uncomfortable wearing hair down alot without layers (like me cos I get poofy hair :p) layers might be something you prefer.

Every few months I get annoyed with the shorter layers but it doesn't take long for them to reach a length where I can put them nicely into a braid for a day or bun with a hairstick and not have little bits falling out. At the moment I love my layers and with waist length hair it would take 2 or 3 years for my hair to be all one length if I stalled there so I always have layers of some sort. I enjoy the change in hairstyle I get every few months by chopping shorter layers back in without losing length.

If you're curious, grow your shorter layers out a bit, you don't necessarily have to lose length over all to grow out layers for updo's. If you like it, continue. If you don't, then its up to you again if you want to chop some layers back in.

rubyredslippers
November 7th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I'm one of those who is for layers. I have them just in the bottom four-and-a-half or so inches of my hair, to prevent pyramid head. It works really well for me; they don't interfere with updos and my hair looks a heck of a lot better down.

Perhaps when my hair gets longer, nearer to waist or so, I may opt for a blunter hemline. but for now layers is what is best for me.:D

MissMaryMac
November 7th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I've always liked having face framing layers, but it gets harder and harder the longer my hair gets. I feel like i want layers to give my hair some shape and volume, but the last time i went to the salon and asked for long layers, the girl chopped chopped chopped until I wanted to cry. I did cry, actually. It has taken almost 2 years for them to grow out now. I will be sure to be absolutely sure I trust who is cutting my hair before I ever make that mistake again. ;)

Dolly
November 7th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I had gotten my hair to all one length, and a blunt hemline, and kept it that way for over 2 years, and deep down, I HATED it. I wear my hair down most of the time, and it just looked awful. About a month or so ago, I had the back cut into a "U", and long layers in the sides, with a few face-framers in the front, and some wispy bangs. I LOVE IT!

And, as far as updos, my hair still goes into a bun (which is easier if it is damp), and a braid quite nicely (every now and then I have pokey-out strands, but not so much that it bugs me or anything).

suicides_eve
November 7th, 2008, 05:51 AM
another layer lover here, i have to have them for my hair -it can get scary without them

brok3nwings
November 7th, 2008, 05:59 AM
For that type of hair that is actually simillar to mine i like layers. i´ve trimmed mine cause they were thin at the end but otherwise i like it cause i can see my waves better. But it deppends on your taste :) You could even have really short hair with really long hair, it doesnt matter, we all love hair in different ways with one thing in common, healthy! oK..and normally long too ehe :)

Heidi_234
November 7th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Layer are pretty much disastrous for curly hair. And yet hairstylists insist on doing them. :angry:

Stacy_E
November 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I've gone back and forth on whether I want to keep my layers or grow them out. Now that my hair is BSL, and my goal is waist, I have come to the conclusion that I don't like my layers and one of my hair goals is to grow out the layers to all one length (except my bangs). The primary reason is, when I look at my hemline in the mirror, it looks thin and scraggly to me. I'd like a nice thick hemline. I also would like to not having to bother maintaining a layered cut (I cut my hair myself). And lastly, as many have said, updos are neater and easier without layers.

Many like layers for adding waviness and bounciness to their hair when down. But I've noticed that my hair does not benefit in that way, maybe because it's "F/ii", and getting too long for that.

cosmicboogie
November 7th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the opinions. :) At this point I've decided to let them grow out a little and see how it goes. Maybe it will lead to less poof *fingers crossed*