PDA

View Full Version : Bangs and Fine Hair

UP Lisa
June 12th, 2019, 11:22 AM
So if you have fine hair and also have bangs, how do you get them to stay in place? I have been using mousse, which helps some. Do you use hair spray?

milosmomma
June 12th, 2019, 11:54 AM
I've classed myself as M but I do have a mixture of some finies in my hair and when I used to have bangs all I would do is comb them into place while damp and let them dry and they would stay until I slept on them. I would sometimes blow dry them if in a hurry but got pretty good results just from combing them forward so they "set" in position. I mean if it was windy outside they blow around but as long as I dried my roots angled towards my face they always came back eventually :lol:

UP Lisa
June 12th, 2019, 11:59 AM
I've classed myself as M but I do have a mixture of some finies in my hair and when I used to have bangs all I would do is comb them into place while damp and let them dry and they would stay until I slept on them. I would sometimes blow dry them if in a hurry but got pretty good results just from combing them forward so they "set" in position. I mean if it was windy outside they blow around but as long as I dried my roots angled towards my face they always came back eventually :lol:

Well, mine are baby-fine, and they do not ever stay in place. Even indoors while sitting in a chair they will clump together and look messed up.

Krissycats
June 12th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Mine clump, too. Sometimes I use a light hair spray, but only when my hair is up. Otherwise, I just leave them alone.

UP Lisa
June 12th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Mine clump, too. Sometimes I use a light hair spray, but only when my hair is up. Otherwise, I just leave them alone.

I assume your bangs are curly? Mine are straight.

maryalana
June 12th, 2019, 12:51 PM
I used to use hairspray but now I just blow dry straight down. I don't like using heat on my hair but loading up products just to have a slight breeze ruin them was worse. If I let them air dry my bangs will go in every direction but down :rolleyes:

UP Lisa
June 12th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Well, I comb mine down when they are wet, but they still manage to mess up all the time when dry.

Dark40
June 12th, 2019, 03:41 PM
When mine clump or don't stay in place I apply some hair lotion or cream, and I usually don't have any issues after that.

lapushka
June 12th, 2019, 04:06 PM
My mom always used to use hairspray. Back when she had bangs she was i/ii, now she is a i and just has a side bang (kinda, it's where her hair gets thin).

sillyme
June 12th, 2019, 07:46 PM
I use a round brush and blow dryer on just my bangs. If I use any kind of product my bangs get greasy. I don't use hairspray unless I comb my bangs back and blend them in with the rest of my hair. I really don't mind my bangs getting messy.

Suortuva
June 13th, 2019, 12:32 AM
I don't even try... I can't imagine using products in my bangs, that would be just too much. Oh, I sometimes use dry shampoo, but this is really not so often, it's so easy to wash them only, if needed.

I sometimes heat style them, with a round hot air brush. But it's impossible to get them behave outdoors, because it's very windy here, so everytime I go outside I'm like why did I wanted to have bangs... But at the moment bangs feel a better choice than no bangs.

pailin
June 13th, 2019, 02:14 AM
When I had bangs in high school, nothing would ever make them stay longer than five minutes after I did them. And since my hair is wavy, they had that awful habit of sticking out in little horns. Which is why I grew mine out and only just cut in some really long (chin length) bangs of a sort a year and a half ago. Some bits to soften my face with updoes. I make a pin curl overnight and then I have a nice little curly wave at the side of my face when I take it down in the morning. When it stops behaving or annoys me I can pin it back up with a clip.

Lady Stardust
June 13th, 2019, 03:10 AM
My fringe would clump and get greasy if I had the tiniest bit of moisturiser or any kind of lotion on my forehead. It didn’t behave too badly if I kept moisturiser away from it, except that I have a cowlick and it would always part there.

My hairdresser put strong mousse in it once to keep it looking perfect but I didn’t like the feel of it. I think hairspray would work if you used lots, but again I wouldn’t like how it feels.

Blow drying it while brushing each side towards the middle might help.

pailin
June 13th, 2019, 04:25 AM
Oh yeah, when mine are greasy or nasty from sweat, sometimes I stick powder in them. You could use a little dry shampoo but I never have any. I use the same oil control face powder I use on my face.

UP Lisa
June 13th, 2019, 05:43 AM
I use a round brush and blow dryer on just my bangs. If I use any kind of product my bangs get greasy. I don't use hairspray unless I comb my bangs back and blend them in with the rest of my hair. I really don't mind my bangs getting messy.

Well, I know I worry about it too much. Even one of my sons has told me that.

Scyphozoa
June 13th, 2019, 06:23 AM
I have blunt cut fringe. If it doesn't feel like laying normally that day I just fingercomb it back. Doing that gives me mildly Disney Ariel type bangs (not sure how exactly to describe it, voluminous and sweeping), but with a mid part. I like it because it's easy, and looks pretty decent. Though I have pretty average hair and I don't know how it would work with thin hair. My knee-jerk is to recommend that you try to accept your hair and the way it lies, then rock that. Instead of taking time and energy to putting products and heat into your hair.

UP Lisa
June 13th, 2019, 07:13 AM
I have blunt cut fringe. If it doesn't feel like laying normally that day I just fingercomb it back. Doing that gives me mildly Disney Ariel type bangs (not sure how exactly to describe it, voluminous and sweeping), but with a mid part. I like it because it's easy, and looks pretty decent. Though I have pretty average hair and I don't know how it would work with thin hair. My knee-jerk is to recommend that you try to accept your hair and the way it lies, then rock that. Instead of taking time and energy to putting products and heat into your hair.

Well, I haven't been using any heat. The rest of my hair is always up. Just want to not have to be constantly combing my bangs to keep them in place.

maryalana
June 13th, 2019, 11:37 AM
I don't even try... I can't imagine using products in my bangs, that would be just too much. Oh, I sometimes use dry shampoo, but this is really not so often, it's so easy to wash them only, if needed.

This! I've tried a lot of different products but it's so much easier to just let them do their own thing.

I wash my bangs separately or use dry shampoo but products just end up making their way onto my forehead and cause breakouts. I found blow drying from side to side (instead of straight down) makes my bangs more manageable, if that makes sense. I've also had to change the style/cut of my bangs to work with the clumps. I've gone from short blunt bangs to long whispy bangs. Work with what you have :)

UP Lisa
June 13th, 2019, 11:41 AM
This! I've tried a lot of different products but it's so much easier to just let them do their own thing.

I wash my bangs separately or use dry shampoo but products just end up making their way onto my forehead and cause breakouts. I found blow drying from side to side (instead of straight down) makes my bangs more manageable, if that makes sense. I've also had to change the style/cut of my bangs to work with the clumps. I've gone from short blunt bangs to long whispy bangs. Work with what you have :)

Mine are short and blunt. They seem to not separate as much when shorter.

maryalana
June 13th, 2019, 11:51 AM

Mine liked to curl into the cutest little ringlets when they were short. Wanted curly hair most of my life but never in my bangs :rolleyes:

Lady Stardust
June 13th, 2019, 12:18 PM

That’s what worked for me too. My fringe tried to curl if it was too short and separate if it was too long, but there was a happy medium.

UP Lisa
June 13th, 2019, 12:32 PM
That’s what worked for me too. My fringe tried to curl if it was too short and separate if it was too long, but there was a happy medium.

My hair is 2b wavy, but not noticeable till the hair is longer, so my bangs are straight.

Synester
June 13th, 2019, 09:45 PM
I have ultra ultra fine waist length hair with blunt bangs since 2010. i have not one...but TWO cowlicks on my hairline of my forehead on the left and very strongly on the right side. my hair...was never meant to have bangs. But i love how they look on me.
I have to style them wet or they wont behave.
So when wet...i vigorously blow dry them into submission and then freeze them with hair spray. otherwise my cowlick WILL split them in half.
its a lot of work but i think the payoff is worth it.
i dont heat style the rest of my hair anymore but i don't mind heat abusing my bangs because i trim them CONSTANTLY.

Wusel
June 14th, 2019, 01:55 AM
I don't think it's a problem of fine hair, it's a general bangs problem. To make mine look presentable for a video it sometimes takes me a whole hour of styling. That's why I decided to grow them out again. Bangs look cute but take too much time to style.

UP Lisa
June 14th, 2019, 05:59 AM
I don't think it's a problem of fine hair, it's a general bangs problem. To make mine look presentable for a video it sometimes takes me a whole hour of styling. That's why I decided to grow them out again. Bangs look cute but take too much time to style.

Well, fine hair doesn't stay put at all, and also tends to clump together and look stringy and oily faster.

Carrieberry77
June 14th, 2019, 06:13 AM
When I had bangs I washed them every morning and freshened up with dry shampoo during the day, I also made sure to always have powder for my forehead with me since I have oily skin. That kept the stringy greasy gollum look away lol.