PDA

View Full Version : LUSH Henna

CaityBear
November 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM
So I recently started thinking about hennaing my hair. I'm thinking of using LUSH henna for a couple reasons. One is because I can buy it myself (If I bought henna online, my mom would have to pay because I don't have a credit card) and second because I've heard the red is less intense. I want to do red and I'm not scared of it being really intense because I've had fire engine red hair before, but I'm thinking of doing something not too intensely red to begin with.

So, is there any suggestions for how I should mix it? How long to leave it?

I've been reading about it and it says just mix with water and leave for a short amount of time or something, though I've read that some people have left it sit longer, does that do anything to it? Does it make it redder? Or is there anything I can add to the mix that would benefit my hair or the colour outcome?

As well, this is my first time ever hennaing so...any tips on how to do it without killing myself? :P

Just remembered something else! How much would I use for me hair? It's about 29 inches, I'm 1a/F/M/i classification as it says in my profile. I'm not quite sure so if anyone could hint at how much I should use.....I'd be really thankful!

Jostar
November 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I have used lush henna - caca rouge a number of times now. It gives me colour you see in my avatar! for my fine, bra strap length hair, I grate 3-4 cubes to very hot, not boiling water and mix with some lemon juice - i think this gives a better red. I let it develop and cool for an hour and then slop it on. Its a gritty texture and can get quite drippy. I normally leave it for 4 hours or until i can't stand it on there any more. I rinse it out and let it dry. The good thing about lush henna is that it doesn't need ages to develop and if a bit drips and you don't notice, you don't get bright red ears! Its ok, though i crave a brighter red now so fancy trying some of Hennaboy's stuff.

Celebrian
November 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Love the color Jostar!

Another Lush henna body here CaityBear...

I (personally) only use 2-3 max. squares of Rouge for my thick BSL hair. I use boiling water (need to melt the cocoa butter in Lush henna) - and would be wary of lemon juice adding as Lush henna has it in already, and also have sensitive scalp which would be irritated by too much of the lemon.

You can grate the bar with a cheese grater -- which helps in the melt/mix stage - or save yourself wrist ache by putting the block bits in an old plastic makeup bag or similar, and stamping on it. Make sure the bag is sealed/zipped shut for this to save powder spurting out all over the floor!

Finally, rinse with fairly hot water to get the worst of the grit out, and then use a couple of rounds of cheap conditioner worked through and rinsed out. Finish with a couple shampoos, and perhaps a touch more conditioner - and that's it!

I'd start with just a couple hours in your case. Remember the henna will give a bright orange glow for the first day or so - and mellow down to a more copper color as days pass.

If you want more intensity, you can repeat as soon as you want as often as you like!

CaityBear
November 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm getting really ansy about getting to the city and being able to buy some henna. I'm not sure when I'm going to do it though. I don't want to do it before Christmas incase it doesn't turn out (not to mention I don't have many days between getting off of school and Christmas) and I think I'll be at my boyfriend's for Christmas. And I can't really do it after Christmas because my dad's side of the family Christmas is on New Years.

But if I do it around Christmas when I'm at my boyfriend's I could get his cousins or sister or someone to help me. His aunt henna's her hair so I think his cousins and/or aunt would probably be helpful...

But first things first! I need to get the henna! lol