PDA

View Full Version : No Conditoner?!

catoala
June 9th, 2019, 09:04 AM
My question is.. could one go without conditoner? I do not use it because it makes my hair look limp and much more thin than it actually is, so I avoid it. But what to do to moisturise the ends? Any oils or so? Thanks. (:

Ylva
June 9th, 2019, 09:05 AM
If your hair doesn't do well with conditioner it's perfectly fine to go without. There are people here who don't use conditioner. You could consider using a leave-in conditioner on your ends, applied on wet or damp hair after washing it.

catoala
June 9th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Funny question. Would it make sense to use a basic conditoner that is meant to use in shower but as a leave in? Like, put enough amount I need and just slather it on. Would that make my hair greasy or whatever?

ExpectoPatronum
June 9th, 2019, 09:29 AM
I don't know what your hair stats are but I often leave in a little conditioner in my hair along with using a leave-in. Your success is going to depend on how your hair reacts to conditioner though. I know my hair soaks it right up.

EdG
June 9th, 2019, 09:39 AM
The body makes its own natural conditioner (sebum). The trick is not to wash it out completely. Any of the diluted shampoo, water-only, or no-wash routines will retain sebum.
Ed

lapushka
June 9th, 2019, 10:15 AM
My question is.. could one go without conditoner? I do not use it because it makes my hair look limp and much more thin than it actually is, so I avoid it. But what to do to moisturise the ends? Any oils or so? Thanks. (:

Depends on a lot of things.

Length of hair.
Hairtype.

If I went without conditioner (I even apply it twice), then I would have a straight up mat on my hands!

But you do you. If you're fine without it... if it ain't broke don't fix it. ;)

Genne
June 9th, 2019, 10:22 AM

Hello,
I thought the same for me however, I later realized it wasn't true, (although it is VERY true for any condition that has silicones or anything ending in -cone in the ingredients list!)
Jen
p.s. after I henna'd the first time, with only henna, my hair was the best texture it'd ever been before

Genne
June 9th, 2019, 10:25 AM
Funny question. Would it make sense to use a basic conditoner that is meant to use in shower but as a leave in? Like, put enough amount I need and just slather it on. Would that make my hair greasy or whatever?

Hello,
In my 20's I used to do this in the summertime when I was outdoors a lot and swimming. I'd put a braid in, and condition the braid with regular conditioner and leave it in all day. Hmmm, my hair had a lot of growth in my 20's too but I figured it was youth. Now I'm considering doing this again?!

Ylva
June 9th, 2019, 10:45 AM

There are plenty of different kinds of rinse-out conditioners out there, so they might behave a bit differently as leave-ins, but it's certainly possible to use a regular conditioner as a leave-in, and I know some people here do that as well. You can't use it just like you would in the shower, though, as in slather it all over your hair. That would definitely make the hair sticky and greasy. You'll need to use much smaller amounts.

MusicalSpoons
June 9th, 2019, 12:57 PM

If your hair doesn't do well with it rinsed out, then it likely would be too heavy to leave in with anywhere near the same amount, I'd have thought :confused: but yeah, if you use a small amount it could work.

You could try CW - conditioner on first then shampoo the roots and let the suds go down the length. You could also try the rinse-out oil method to keep some moisture in, just a tiny bit though if you're not using conditioner on top of it. If you tried that, you could also try a version of it - oil on wet hair, rinse out then shampoo; or oil on wet hair, shampoo (roots only to start with, see if that helps and if not then squeeze the suds down the length) then rinse out.
Or you could use a tiny bit of oil on damp hair after a wash to seal in moisture; some here do very well with that but I emphasise *tiny* amount, especially on 1b hair. (I can't remember, how long is your hair? How much of it counts as your 'ends' really depends on how long your hair is; for APL it might be literally the last inch or so but knee length might be the last 6-8 inches. That affects how much oil you'd need to try it out.)

catoala
June 9th, 2019, 01:32 PM
I washed my hair right now.. with conditoner. I put a little on my ends and that is it. My hair is waist lenght, so I think I did well. Thanks! :)

NicoleJean
June 9th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Wow I can’t imagine not using a conditioner. I think I wouldn’t be able to comb through my hair at all.

So I also have fine flat hair and used to have the problem of it looking limp or greasy from conditioner. Now I rinse vey very well. For like 10 minutes with cold water. I just keep rinsing and rinsing even if it seems like all the access conditioner is already rinsed out. I also only put it on
My lower 50% of hair and avoid getting too close to the scalp because I have an oily scalp as is which doesn’t help. This seems to work for me and my hair no longer seems greasy from conditioner use. However I think if you have fine hair it already tends to be on the limper side regardless. Unfortunately I found the easiest way to get more volume when you have fine hair is to have a shorter length.

NicoleJean
June 9th, 2019, 02:59 PM
If you want to try hair oil I highly recommend Sebastian dark oil. I have tried a lot of oils and this one is very moisturizing and does not leave my hair feeling greasy or weighed down like many others.

lapushka
June 9th, 2019, 03:40 PM
Wow I can’t imagine not using a conditioner. I think I wouldn’t be able to comb through my hair at all.

So I also have fine flat hair and used to have the problem of it looking limp or greasy from conditioner. Now I rinse vey very well. For like 10 minutes with cold water. I just keep rinsing and rinsing even if it seems like all the access conditioner is already rinsed out. I also only put it on
My lower 50% of hair and avoid getting too close to the scalp because I have an oily scalp as is which doesn’t help. This seems to work for me and my hair no longer seems greasy from conditioner use. However I think if you have fine hair it already tends to be on the limper side regardless. Unfortunately I found the easiest way to get more volume when you have fine hair is to have a shorter length.

You may want to switch to warm water. Cold doesn't rinse out products well at all. You need the warmth of the water to rinse out properly. Might not even take 10 min. then! Saves you a bunch of water too.

There is nothing wrong with using warm water, just make sure it's not scalding hot!

NicoleJean
June 9th, 2019, 03:52 PM
You may want to switch to warm water. Cold doesn't rinse out products well at all. You need the warmth of the water to rinse out properly. Might not even take 10 min. then! Saves you a bunch of water too.

There is nothing wrong with using warm water, just make sure it's not scalding hot!

Well I start with Luke warm water than rinse With cool or cold depending on the outside temp. I keep reading that cool/cold water seals the cuticle and makes the hair shiny. I haven’t really noticed a difference though since doing it but I keep doing it anyways just in case it helps. Biggest thing is I noticed
My hair is less greasy and less weighed down from conditioner if I make sure I rinse really really well instead of being in a hurry and just rinsing for a min.

lapushka
June 9th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Well I start with Luke warm water than rinse With cool or cold depending on the outside temp. I keep reading that cool/cold water seals the cuticle and makes the hair shiny. I haven’t really noticed a difference though since doing it but I keep doing it anyways just in case it helps. Biggest thing is I noticed
My hair is less greasy and less weighed down from conditioner if I make sure I rinse really really well instead of being in a hurry and just rinsing for a min.

That is meant for a "final rinse", so *after* all your products have been rinsed out. Just to "seal". Not to use when using your products.

poli
June 9th, 2019, 11:28 PM
Biggest thing is I noticed
I rinse a lot too. My hair loves conditioners, but it's fine and gets buildup easy so I'm usually rinsing with warm water for about 2-3 min getting everything off my scalp.

blesseddamozel
June 9th, 2019, 11:47 PM
I dont use conditioner. I use a really basic shampoo to wash in the shower then once I'm out of the shower I use a shea butter based cream and then some sort of oil on the ends. I've found it works really well for my hair.

catoala
June 10th, 2019, 02:44 AM
I dont use conditioner. I use a really basic shampoo to wash in the shower then once I'm out of the shower I use a shea butter based cream and then some sort of oil on the ends. I've found it works really well for my hair.

What do you mean by basic shampoo?

Carrieberry77
June 10th, 2019, 03:44 AM
Maybe try a vinegar rinse after washing your hair it balances pH and softens hair, I have fine greasy hair and it works great for me.

Reyn127
June 10th, 2019, 10:24 AM
I didn't use conditioner for about 1.5 years. The thing that helped my hair the most during that time was probably dampening my ends and applying a tiny bit of oil. I also used regular gelatin as treatments, followed by aloe vera gel. I've also heard catnip, marshmallow root, fenugreek, can all have conditioning properties.

I will say though, my inability to find a non-product conditioner that made a significant difference, is partially what encouraged me to switch back from No-Poo to S/C. So although my non-shampoo cleansing was going pretty well, I never found a conditioner replacement that was fully satisfying.

blesseddamozel
June 10th, 2019, 12:14 PM
What do you mean by basic shampoo?

I try to choose one with minimal ingredients/no sulfates