PDA

View Full Version : Hair Emergency, Split Ends!!!

soldierssong
June 8th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Hello, Ladies, I am having a crisis!!
My hair is around 31 inches long, and I'm a type 1a. And I have a lot of hair, it's just very, very thin. But recently, it's been breaking and splitting and it looks like trash. What do I do?? I oil it and take such good care of it!! Does anyone have any ideas!? I'm so desperate.
Please help. Please help.

Ylva
June 8th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Do you generally wear your hair up or down? Maybe you need to level up your protective styles.

Zesty
June 8th, 2019, 04:45 PM
What's your routine like? Do you use heat or bleach/dye, or have you in the past? Has anything changed with your routine or general life circumstances? And it's also fair to ask how you wear your hair, as Ylva has. On me 31 inches is waist, and that length zone can be one of the tipping points for general wear and tear to catch up to you.

ExpectoPatronum
June 8th, 2019, 04:46 PM
I agree - what's your routine like? And do you wear your hair in a protective style?

Dark40
June 8th, 2019, 04:57 PM
I agree with everyone else. Do you wear your hair in a protective style? What is your routine?

milosmomma
June 8th, 2019, 07:19 PM
When I start noticing more splts it's usually after wearing it in a pony, down, or braided without tassel oiling. These things all cause friction which is my biggest split culprit in recent times. Do you have dye, bleach or heat damage? With my experience with those in the past, only protective styling and trimming made them improve. Adding more moisture could help but I agree I think we need some info on routine and you hair's condition right nwo. I would try the s&d route before committing to a bigger trim first and see if that can help you manage.
As or moisture I would say deep conditioner frequently and a roo should have to back on track. Maybe serum or oil on damp hair as a leave in to add that extra coating of protection could help as well. Keep us updated, happy hair vibse coming your way :)

lapushka
June 9th, 2019, 04:14 AM
Hello, Ladies, I am having a crisis!!
My hair is around 31 inches long, and I'm a type 1a. And I have a lot of hair, it's just very, very thin. But recently, it's been breaking and splitting and it looks like trash. What do I do?? I oil it and take such good care of it!! Does anyone have any ideas!? I'm so desperate.
Please help. Please help.

What's been your routine up to this point? Have you heat styled in the recent past? What's the general state of your hair?

soldierssong
June 9th, 2019, 07:25 AM
Sorry I didn't see this yesterday.
My hair is usually in a braid or a cinnabun.
I don't use heat, I shampoo and condition about 2-3 times a week, I oil my hair before the wash and once a week I do a tea rinse.
I also haven't dyed my hair ever, or bleached it, and the last time I used heat on it was like.....1 1/2 years ago.
I do usually tassel oil.

lapushka
June 9th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Sorry I didn't see this yesterday.
My hair is usually in a braid or a cinnabun.
I don't use heat, I shampoo and condition about 2-3 times a week, I oil my hair before the wash and once a week I do a tea rinse.
I also haven't dyed my hair ever, or bleached it, and the last time I used heat on it was like.....1 1/2 years ago.
I do usually tassel oil.

To be fair, that means you only have about 9/10 inches of healthy hair. Up top. That means your hair below that could possibly be damaged enough to where it matters.

Have you examined your hair for white dots (up a strand). The hair will form a sharp angle at that point. That is damage and possible breakage. It could explain things.

Ylva
June 9th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Indeed, the heat damage isn't going to go anywhere, so it's still affecting that part of your hair just the same as before. You may have reached a point where the ends are too old or experiencing too much friction and they're splitting due to the old heat damage.

Joules
June 9th, 2019, 09:02 AM
I agree, that's probably old heat damage. 1.5 years is basically nothing in the hair world, it means that parts of your hair that haven't been fried are what? Chin-length right now? And everything else still remembers flat irons and blowdryers. I'm afraid it's gonna be another couple of years for you before your ends get healthy enough to grow further.

Zesty
June 9th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Yep, that's probably the culprit. If you want it to stop breaking you'll want to baby the bejeezus out of it style-wise. I wouldn't use elastics, especially on the ends. You mention wearing braids and I think that's probably not doing your hair any favors. It's still exposing your hair to friction. Braids *can* be a protective style but IMHO they're not good enough for already fragile hair.

MusicalSpoons
June 9th, 2019, 01:04 PM
Yep, that's probably the culprit. If you want it to stop breaking you'll want to baby the bejeezus out of it style-wise. I wouldn't use elastics, especially on the ends. You mention wearing braids and I think that's probably not doing your hair any favors. It's still exposing your hair to friction. Braids *can* be a protective style but IMHO they're not good enough for already fragile hair.

Definitely. At shorter lengths they can be great (except where the elastic goes) but long enough to rub on clothes can really cause damage. Braids generally seem to be better on more textured hair than on straighter - the very ends poke out in braid shred and are exposed to friction and just generally dry out quicker than if they're tucked away in a bun.

NicoleJean
June 9th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Some splits and damage are inevitable. So I search and destroy weekly. I’ve stopped heat styling and always air dry my hair. I’ve been using a microfiber towel and only use a wide tooth comb for detangling and use the wet brush minis on dry hair. I also have fine hair and find the bore bristle brush actually breaks my hair off and causes more damage so I no longer use one. I also deep condition every single time I was and leave it in for an hour and rinse with cold water. This has made a big different in the softness and smoothness of my ends. I use neutrogena triple mask which is great for the price and it’s a 10 miracle hair mask which is more spendy so I alternate between the two. I also use a hair oil on the ends daily. I’m using Sebastian dark oil which I love because it doesn’t leave my hair feeling greasy. Making the changes has greatly improved he ends of my hair.

NicoleJean
June 9th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah I also use a silk pillowcase which is suppose to be gentler on the hair.

soldierssong
June 9th, 2019, 10:08 PM
Yeah, so that's what I've been thinking, but I didn't really use heat very often when I did use heat. Once or twice a year, Max.
I do have white dots, and that's why I'm confused. I've always been kinda natural and gentle on my hair, and I just cut it all off two years ago. I appreciate your help and advice, I sure need it.

soldierssong
June 9th, 2019, 10:15 PM
Yes, I tend to wear braids less, but I will continue to bun more now. I'm still on the hunt for a silk pillowcase. I also will start oiling my hair everyday, and will invest in some hair masks, as I just tend to put in oils for an hour, or put conditioner in for an hour then wash out.So if anyone has any ideas for a good hair mask, I will appreciate that.

Ylva
June 9th, 2019, 11:00 PM
So if anyone has any ideas for a good hair mask, I will appreciate that.

I'd recommend the Garnier Treats/Hair Foods (especially papaya) or the Whole Blends/Ultimate Blends/Respons etc. masks (300 ml balls).

milosmomma
June 9th, 2019, 11:17 PM
Your fine/medium hair type might contribute to it as well. I have a mixture of all types and notice the most splits on the finer strands. I'm thinking braids just get alot of friction at 31 inches. An alternative to a silk pillow case is if you have a satin/silky any type of smoother material shirt or hoodie you can try covering that over your pillow until you find one.

soldierssong
June 10th, 2019, 07:32 AM
Thank you, I found some things, and am going to invest in some hair masks today.
Thank you all for your advice and help, I'll appreciate any more advice, but the ideas and tips you've given are great. :)

lapushka
June 10th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Yeah, so that's what I've been thinking, but I didn't really use heat very often when I did use heat. Once or twice a year, Max.
I do have white dots, and that's why I'm confused. I've always been kinda natural and gentle on my hair, and I just cut it all off two years ago. I appreciate your help and advice, I sure need it.

Even once on high heat can give you those white dots! Even once! It's not an innocent tool. Unlike a blow dryer which you can put on cool/warm and tadaaa, a hot tool usually brings damage with it... even after one use.

Just baby those white dots, sometimes they can break off and make a split end. So I would S&D a few times a month (not daily, for sure or you will end up with a busted hemline).

Good luck!

SleepyTangles
June 10th, 2019, 01:12 PM
Did you change your diet recently? Are your stress levels higher? Would you rule out any health-related causes?
Did you move to a different area, with a different weather or different water?

More importantly, how is the quality of the hair growing at your roots? If the new hair is strong, shiny and healthy then ignore the first row of questions: I didn´t mean to alarm you :flower:

NicoleJean
June 10th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Even once on high heat can give you those white dots! Even once! It's not an innocent tool. Unlike a blow dryer which you can put on cool/warm and tadaaa, a hot tool usually brings damage with it... even after one use.

Just baby those white dots, sometimes they can break off and make a split end. So I would S&D a few times a month (not daily, for sure or you will end up with a busted hemline).

Good luck!

A couple years ago and all before that I used to flat iron my hair almost every day so the bottom 6” or so of my hair have a lot of fried ends and white dots and weak sections. I’m slowly doing search and destroy and trying to eliminate the damage over time without having to compromise length. I’m hoping in the future my ends will be much healthier and far less splits now that I have given up heat tools. I truly believe this is what has caused the majority of damage on my ends:

soldierssong
June 10th, 2019, 09:18 PM
Did you change your diet recently? Are your stress levels higher? Would you rule out any health-related causes?
Did you move to a different area, with a different weather or different water?

More importantly, how is the quality of the hair growing at your roots? If the new hair is strong, shiny and healthy then ignore the first row of questions: I didn´t mean to alarm you :flower:

No problem, I don't mind the questions.
I have not changed my diet recently, but I do tend to have a pretty unstable diet.
And then my stress levels are pretty high.
Otherwise, nothing has really changed.
I made a HUGE choice today, and cut about 2 inches of my hair off. it feels SO much better.
but at the same time, I also went out to buy some hair masks and a deep conditioner.. SO I will be using those once a week, as well as trying to drink more water. :)

LittleHealthy
June 11th, 2019, 05:08 AM
No problem, I don't mind the questions.
I have not changed my diet recently, but I do tend to have a pretty unstable diet.
And then my stress levels are pretty high.
Otherwise, nothing has really changed.
I made a HUGE choice today, and cut about 2 inches of my hair off. it feels SO much better.
but at the same time, I also went out to buy some hair masks and a deep conditioner.. SO I will be using those once a week, as well as trying to drink more water. :)

Stress can definitely affect it too. We have similar hair types. I understand your damage, I had it myself last year when I first joined here. I stopped doing braids altogether and started bunning instead. Also I easily get a lot of mechanical damage from doing buns or up-styles if I’m not careful. I noticed nobody mentioned that. Any buns where the hair is twisted is damaging to my hair, so I’ve found. I like to do the Lazy Wrap Bun. There’s no tightly twisted hair in that style. The nautilus isn’t too bad either. I avoid Cinnabuns.

soldierssong
June 11th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Stress can definitely affect it too. We have similar hair types. I understand your damage, I had it myself last year when I first joined here. I stopped doing braids altogether and started bunning instead. Also I easily get a lot of mechanical damage from doing buns or up-styles if I’m not careful. I noticed nobody mentioned that. Any buns where the hair is twisted is damaging to my hair, so I’ve found. I like to do the Lazy Wrap Bun. There’s no tightly twisted hair in that style. The nautilus isn’t too bad either. I avoid Cinnabuns.

I've been doing loose cinnabuns right now, partially because I have to do them for ballet, and they're super easy. But I will look at the others. Any other recommendations?

SwanFeathers
June 12th, 2019, 09:05 PM
I've been doing loose cinnabuns right now, partially because I have to do them for ballet, and they're super easy. But I will look at the others. Any other recommendations?

Lol this is helpful info. Aside from any past damage, You might need extra nutrients to compensate for being in what is basically an extreme sport. Wish I could dance :)

flowerbabies
June 12th, 2019, 09:26 PM

What would you recommend instead of braids? I’m in a similar situation and looking for help also.

Ylva
June 12th, 2019, 09:37 PM
What would you recommend instead of braids? I’m in a similar situation and looking for help also.

What length is your hair now? Buns are an easy and quick-to-learn alternative to braids. Your hair will be up and out of harm's way. If your hair is not long enough for a bun, you could probably wear it in a peacock twist.

flowerbabies
June 12th, 2019, 10:02 PM
between APL and BSL. I have very fine and thin hair. Sometimes I feel like no matter what style I choose it’s damaging. Buns tend to pull at the root and of course braids rub. Maybe I’m doing the wrong type of bun? I typically just twist it and pin or scrunchie on top of my head. Is there a better way?

leayellena
June 13th, 2019, 03:53 AM
between APL and BSL. I have very fine and thin hair. Sometimes I feel like no matter what style I choose it’s damaging. Buns tend to pull at the root and of course braids rub. Maybe I’m doing the wrong type of bun? I typically just twist it and pin or scrunchie on top of my head. Is there a better way?

at apl I did the braided bun. simply braid your hair then coil it in a bun. spin pins are better than any other pins though. your hair is too short for a hair stick right now so spin pins are the best.
ETA: you can do tuckted in our outside french braids.

all in all braided updos help. preferably french or dutch at this length hold better than regular english braids.

NicoleJean
June 14th, 2019, 01:46 PM
I thought I didn’t have split ends until I looked at my hair up close outside in the sun and wow I had so many. If you want to do search and destroy I have found that bright outdoor light or the sun makes the splits much easier to see and snip off than any indoor lighting I have tried.

SwanFeathers
June 14th, 2019, 04:40 PM
I thought I didn’t have split ends until I looked at my hair up close outside in the sun and wow I had so many. If you want to do search and destroy I have found that bright outdoor light or the sun makes the splits much easier to see and snip off than any indoor lighting I have tried.
Yep, I do it while sitting in my parked car (waiting to pick someone up,) the light is good and I can do it without being in the open.

NicoleJean
June 14th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Yep, I do it while sitting in my parked car (waiting to pick someone up,) the light is good and I can do it without being in the open.

I totally do it in my car too unless it’s too hot out. Also when my husband is driving and I’m a passenger I clip splits but he doesn’t like the trimmings left behind in his car but I don’t care I do it anyways :D

Kat-Rinnè Naido
June 16th, 2019, 02:03 AM

It's the twisting of hair that can cause breakage and damage over time. Try to take it around without twisting the hairs together. If that makes sense.

Good luck.