PDA

View Full Version : How to stay motivated?

JEMTheNerd
June 8th, 2019, 12:15 AM
I'm having a very, very hard night. I asked my mom to cut my hair yesterday, and she did. The new style I'm currently stuck with is flattering for my face, but my lord, it is short. It's almost collarbone length. My bangs are a bit too short as well. I miss back in 2015 when I had hair to my waist, I miss having long hair but it's such a horrendously slow, and at times, very awkward process. Can anyone offer me advice on how to avoid traps like haircuts and heat tools? Thank you :( ♡

hayheadsbird
June 8th, 2019, 01:18 AM
Take pics to look back on and compare too, and instead of cutting, buy hair toys. I'm planning a big purchase for classic, I don't know what yet, but im going to choose what ever I want with no regard to the price tag.

SleepyTangles
June 8th, 2019, 01:54 AM
I donīt know if I can help in this department: last time I enjoyed all my stages of growth. I never had long hair before, so every inch was a discovery. Plus everybody around me was trying to convince me to cut my hair. Contrary Mary is my second name, so I would have grown it out to my butt before letting other people decide for me ;).

My advice is to give in to benign neglect: if the in-between stages are not entertaining for you, then leave it to your hair and let it do its thing. Do no damage to it and focus on other things, give your attention to other hobbies. If your diet is good, with an adequate amount of fat and protein, if you have no vitamin or iron deficiencies you are good to go.

Begemot
June 8th, 2019, 02:00 AM
Two week rule thread! Do not make any spontaneous changes, instead talk it out here and consider for two weeks before making the decision. Try have fun with doing different hairstyles, use hair toys and accessories, focus on health and quality of your hair etc. It helps to keep hair up through awkward, unflattering lengths. Look for long hair inspo and revisit this thread when you feel like cutting so you will remember how unhappy cutting shorter made you.

Stardreamer
June 8th, 2019, 02:16 AM
Agree with Begemot, the 2 week rule thread and finding your inspiration.
Hide your scissors.

CosmoCat
June 8th, 2019, 02:28 AM
Good question, I get to apl or bsl and get the urge to have it cut. I’m hoping to resist it this time, but time will tell.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 8th, 2019, 02:42 AM
Tell yourself that you won't get long hair by cutting it.

Simsy
June 8th, 2019, 02:56 AM
I feel like the best motivation would be remembering why youíre growing in the first place. If you only have a vague idea that you want ďlong hairĒ; you donít have much reason to leave the heat tools behind since long is really subjective as a description. Understanding why you want longer hair is key to getting there, imho.

For myself, I wanted longer hair because it was easier to deal with. I had to cut my hair due to a ridiculous amount of damage; no one knew curls in my family so the damage was cumulative over several years. I was back to shoulder and didnít really pay attention to my hair for a few years beyond washing and brushing. I was at waist before I realised my hair wasnít causing grief. It wasnít tangling as much, I didnít have as many split ends; I could ignore it for a few days without being punished with tangles and pain. I was curious if that extra length might have even more benefit so I decided to grow further. Iím now down to about palm length (upper thigh) and my hair is infinitely easier to handle. Thatís my motivation; I donít want to go back to short hair because it was such a hassle to care for.

lapushka
June 8th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Like I mentioned in your other thread, IMO you only grow long(er) when you're good and ready. If you're not ready, you simply won't get there. Maybe it's not a good time in your life, perhaps it doesn't suit you right now, maybe you have to make lifestyle changes.

I only grew longer when I was mid 30s to mid 40s. If that tells you anything. I had classic length when I was 10/11, and I had every length and almost every color in between. And I enjoyed my hair. Not that I don't now, but longer hair is a choice for me. And it suits my current lifestyle.

Don't fall into traps of "growing hair fast". It's not gonna happen. You are not suddenly gonna wake up with waist length hair. Just let go of that idea. Patience, and when you're good & ready!

TreesOfEternity
June 8th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Looking for pics on the internet of people which looks I like and who have my length helped me A LOT. Find the beauty in your hair, if you keep on obsessing about how much you hate your length you will be miserable for years.

Think that if you really want long hair you will never have hair that short again. Enjoy it while you can!

Wusel
June 8th, 2019, 09:25 AM
Try cool updos and forget about it. The peacock twist looks supercute on everyone and gets you through the most awkward stages. And makes you forget the scissors.

Badger
June 8th, 2019, 01:26 PM
I second @Simsy.
Design a picture of your target and try to visualize it.

In my case: Which updos do flatter me, my type, my character in this phase of life?
What kind of hair toy fascinates me?
Spend money on hair toys, even if you can not use them yet. Store them in your field of vision, admire them and consider how beautiful they will look in your hair. Try them from time to time.

Put your ambition in hair care and be proud if it works well.
If your hair bothers you, put it in possible updos and treat it with benign neglect.

When in doubt pay attention to the 2-weeks-rule and read this thread.
You can do it! :agree:

milosmomma
June 8th, 2019, 02:09 PM
when I chopped to chin I was hugely discouraged just thinking about how many years it would take to return to hip. A big mantra I would tell myself was words I've read here along the lines of " enjoy every length and stage as it will be the last time it is that short" and to do styles that will be more difficult once longer, I learned to neatly french and dutch braid which was a clumsy mess at hip before I chopped. So much easier to section at shorter lengths. I enjoyed half ups which at longer lengths leaving the botom down can get in the way and cause tangling and friction. I also learned how to bring out my texture which is easier with less length. Just find thngs like this to occupy the time it takes to grow out. The are plus sides to strating grow out from a shorter length :) Sending happy hair vibes your way <3

JEMTheNerd
June 8th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and advice! I'm going to do this again, but make sure I'm good and ready too! I'll enjoy every length, even if it looks awkward and even if the process is slow. Here's to attempt two for long hair!! ♡♡♡♡

ExpectoPatronum
June 8th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Many people already gave you good advice. I think the best way to stay motivated is to just leave it alone. I find I don't obsess over my hair as much when I put it up in either a braid or a bun. It forces me to leave my hair alone. I also think posting in the two weeks thread is good for when you want to cut. I recently wanted to cut bangs but after the two week rule I found I didn't want to anymore. Impulsive hair cutting will not get you to long lengths.