PDA

View Full Version : How do your hair toys always go with your clothing style?

Wusel
June 7th, 2019, 07:12 AM
I often wonder about the following problem with all the wooden combs and sticks...
I feel like it goes well with certain styles some of you wear, like (slightly) medieval-style cotton blouses with flowers and jeans or flower skirts or 70s styles dresses... But as for me I have bought me some of these hairtoys but they don't match the outfits I wear.
I wear a lot of chanel-style clothes with pearl or thick chain necklaces, black chanel-style jackets with jeans and black or flashy sneakers... or pencil skirts and dresses... or modern leather jackets...
But with THIS a wooden comb in my hair looks/feels just stupid...
In general i feel like my clothing style (chanel-style, sporty, sneakerhead, sometimes 50s style like polkadot dresses and pencil skirts) doesn't go with all the hair toys at all.
I have these:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22068&d=1458294227
And I wore each of them once or so because I felt uncomfortable having something in my hair which didn't go with my clothing style.
It's more like a mixture of modern-classic and a bit crazy. And the sticks and combs make me thing of medieval times which I'm not a fan of. Everything medieval I never liked. It was the time in history I always disliked the most and found boring. I also don't like anything elves, hobbits, harry potter... even when I was a kid I didn't like it. I don't get it and Lord Of The Rings was a pain for me to watch (I had to... because of my ex-BF).
I mean, I love the idea of a stick and comb. It's good for hair and holds and is fast to put in and out but still... doesn't really match my clothes and personal interests.
I'm not happy about that. I wish these kind of hairtoys were a bit more futuristic looking, so I could use them. Like... a hairstick or comb which looks like an electric guitar or something... and not made of wood...
EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the hairtoys in YOUR hair, in everyone else's hair. It suits you and your personality (many here are big fans of Lord Of The Rings and medieval times, I have noticed, and it's great). But not in mine with my clothing style. And I don't want to change my clothing style for hair toys because I like MY style on me.
And I find the hairtoys I have beautiful when I hold them in my hand. They are well made, great quality and like a piece of art but just not right in my hair with my outfits.

CopperButterfly
June 7th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Have you looked at acrylic hair sticks? They come in a few different styles and bright colors, and definitely don't give off a midevil vibe. I have a couple of very sleek and modern looking hair sticks from OverTheHawaiianMoon (https://www.etsy.com/shop/OverTheHawaiianMoon?section_id=15869555) that don't look at all mid-evil, I have black and green. Look around, I'll bet you can find hairtoys out there that are more to your style, or even figure out how to make your own. Etsy has a lot of fun stuff, and you could even play around with making your own.

Wusel
June 7th, 2019, 07:34 AM
Have you looked at acrylic hair sticks? They come in a few different styles and bright colors, and definitely don't give off a midevil vibe. I have a couple of very sleek and modern looking hair sticks from OverTheHawaiianMoon (https://www.etsy.com/shop/OverTheHawaiianMoon?section_id=15869555) that don't look at all mid-evil, I have black and green. Look around, I'll bet you can find hairtoys out there that are more to your style, or even figure out how to make your own. Etsy has a lot of fun stuff, and you could even play around with making your own.

Thank you :) Some of your hair toys look much more like my style. I could imagine something black with white pearls or combs with 20s style ornaments, like from the Chanel/Schiaparelli era... I'll look at Etsy and Hawaiian Moon

neko_kawaii
June 7th, 2019, 07:41 AM
The style of the bun also matters. You can use the same toy in a high messy bun and a low sleek one to very different affect.

-Fern
June 7th, 2019, 08:17 AM
Personally, I think the striped fork on the left would look beautiful with Chanel-type clothing! Ficcares are also a great option for that style.

I only have six or seven hair accessories now, and I prefer high quality, minimalistic pieces that go with everything rather than a large variety that match with some things. But over the last 4-5 years, I have probably owned at least 30. Sometimes it takes some trial and error to realize what fits with your wardrobe and personal style and hair type, and that's why we have the swap board!

But a quick dive into my selection process: my metal Quattro forks and copper RootieBird sticks look good with almost any outfit. I just try to match silver jewelry to silver forks and gold jewelry to gold U-pins. I usually wear wooden spirals with the copper sticks.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24816&d=1475419880

As Neko mentioned, in the right bun they can either disappear or become a focal point, so I choose to highlight some more with certain outfits.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28544&d=1503769336

I also have a few elegant wooden hair accessories that look good with most outfits.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26939&d=1493172517

You seem like you have a much brighter personal style than me, though, so I could see you wanting something more colorful or attention-grabbing. Acrylic sticks are a very affordable burst of color (and they're also very sturdy, can be used with wet hair, and their color looks even more intense outdoors).

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23796&d=1467668711

(I wound up selling #2 and #4, but they're still great examples!) :rolling:

Begemot
June 7th, 2019, 08:34 AM
I also have a few elegant wooden hair accessories that look good with most outfits.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26939&d=1493172517

That is drop dead gorgeous look!

MusicalSpoons
June 7th, 2019, 08:43 AM
I've never really thought about it but the style you describe I can imagine the hair toys going with it - the most difficult one to place is the fan-topped stick in your photo but I imagine it going well with a pencil skirt outfit. Unless I'm way off the mark with what a Chanel-style jacket is ... <goes off to :google: ... > Ooh nice, not quite what I thought but still. I can definitely imagine your hairtoys working.

The style of the bun also matters. You can use the same toy in a high messy bun and a low sleek one to very different affect.

This is probably the most important factor, to be honest. A sleek bun will look and feel very different from a messy or loose bun, regardless of the hairtoy used to secure it. However I know length and thickness will limit your style choices right now (most of us have hairstyle limitations of one sort or another!) and different kinds of toys work better with different styles - and that varies according to each head of hair too. If you can't find a way to make your current sticks and forks work for you, definitely browse the internet for inspiration :) you can also check out the Products forum for ideas of some of what's available, particularly on Etsy - yes lots of wooden ones but even those come in a huge array of different styles and finishes, but also different kinds of metal, acrylic, bone, antler, horn, etc. (Some people feel a bit squicky about the animal materials but I mention them because they are part of the selection on offer :))

For my own style, I enjoy seeing mediaeval / renaissance / elven styles on others, but it not my style at all. My clothing is fairly basic, reasonably smart(-ish) but not particularly formal, I guess kinda feminine in that I like flowers and butterflies and pretty patterns, but not really flowy/bohemian or anything too fancy, usually. It has to be practical and comfortable (except maybe for special occasions, but still has to be practical and comfortable enough for however long the event is). My hairtoys I think kind of do reflect that; they're a mix of beautiful woods, some acrylics, flexis, but they're all functional. I choose things I like to look at that aren't overly fancy (the most 'bling' are my flexis, which are mostly ones in the middle - not the simplest ones but also not the most intricate ones) but overall functionality is the most important for me. A hairtoy has to hold my hair comfortably and securely by itself all day, no matter how pretty it might be :)

Edit: -Fern​ great examples!! Lovely! It really shows how the hairstyle itself makes a huge difference too.

LittleHealthy
June 7th, 2019, 08:44 AM
My favourite hair fork is a short, four pronged metal fork that you can’t reallt see when it’s in my hair. I’m not a huge fan of the giant, chunky forks and sticks. I like the simple metal ones that tuck away when they’re in the bun.
Anyway, the one I use was extremely cheap on eBay. I use it most days and there are no rough edges. Another one I use, I made myself from fencing wire.

lapushka
June 7th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Maybe get a basic aluminum fork (it's part of why I love them) from either Quattro or Ravenslair (she back yet?) and try that - goes with everything.

And I'm sure you could find an acrylic stick that mimics a pearl-like appearance. Lady Idun's ice picks (translucent) were nice too.

cjk
June 7th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Think design and material. And to a lesser degree finish.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say Chanel-style. When I think of Chanel, I think of simple and classic pieces of high quality. Dressy and professional. And embracing the less-is-more aesthetic.

You mentioned chunky necklaces. Match the color and design, yellow gold for instance. I have a fondness for white metals, myself.

And all of a matte finish, for instance.

Or purposely make a disconnect, a classic little black dress with a plastic comb topped with a red hibiscus.

But make it relate and look intentional.

BerrySara
June 7th, 2019, 09:38 AM
If you don't like certain hairtoys, don't use them. To get similar benefits just use u-pins or spin pins or toys that are hidden in your hair. Then anything chanel-like wont clash since it will be hidden in your bun.

pinkypoo
June 7th, 2019, 09:55 AM
I think it's good to have a variety of hair toys to match all the different styles! while wooden hair sticks are one of my faves I also love flexi 8s and have a nice ficcare. I think a ficcarissimo would go with a lot of more formal styles and I think matches a elegant chanel vibe, especially the color alba!

milosmomma
June 7th, 2019, 10:28 AM
You've had some great suggestions already, and what I was thinking already. I would say check out the swap board and see if trading for a different piece is an option. But I also wanted to mention I think your pieces are beautiful and I can see them going with what I personally think of when you say "chanel attire" and maybe you are being too hard on yourself, we are all our own worst critics in the end. And I'm sure when you wear your toys in public that no one is thinking "oh my, her toys are clashing with her outfit!" :) I get it though because I often have the same worries.

Elodea
June 7th, 2019, 11:19 AM
I'm also not really a fan of the medieval-looking/carved wooden hair sticks for myself -- they make me think of the legs on a chair or table too much. I agree that it's a little harder to find modern/futuristic-looking hair sticks. I have these (someone already mentioned this brand) that I like: https://overthehawaiianmoon.com/listing/486509227/two-6-silver-matte-finished-aluminum. I like more unconventional and/or modern looking sticks.

These sticks are wood, but the shapes of them are more modern/futuristic looking: https://sayadesigns.com/shop

Maybe something simple like a DPN (double pointed knitting needle) would work? I use one of those as a stick pretty often too; they come in different colors of metal although the one I have is bamboo.

Zesty
June 7th, 2019, 12:17 PM
There are waaaay more options than the style in your picture. It's a bit trial and error, but if you're not drawn to what you've bought then move on to other things. Etsy is a great resource, as is the swap board. Quattro and Ficcare come to mind. Do look around, and if you find something that suits your style better you should post pictures, I'm curious. :)

That being said, I'm not much of a stylista myself, nor do I put much stock in matching hair toys to clothing. I wear jeans and a gray t-shirt almost every day and will pair them with all kinds of crazy toys, hair flowers, etc. :shrug:

Shorty89
June 7th, 2019, 12:26 PM
There are waaaay more options than the style in your picture. It's a bit trial and error, but if you're not drawn to what you've bought then move on to other things. Etsy is a great resource, as is the swap board. Quattro and Ficcare come to mind. Do look around, and if you find something that suits your style better you should post pictures, I'm curious. :)

That being said, I'm not much of a stylista myself, nor do I put much stock in matching hair toys to clothing. I wear jeans and a gray t-shirt almost every day and will pair them with all kinds of crazy toys, hair flowers, etc. :shrug:

I'm a jeans and t-shirt with overly done hair person myself...well sometimes. I also tend to use my go-to Jeter forks with casual dress.

Zesty
June 7th, 2019, 12:34 PM
I'm a jeans and t-shirt with overly done hair person myself...well sometimes. I also tend to use my go-to Jeter forks with casual dress.

:hifive:

My lazy default is two claw clips, I will admit, but a lot of my hair toys are in regular rotation and they're all much fancier than me and my t-shirts. :p

Wusel
June 7th, 2019, 04:43 PM
I'm also not really a fan of the medieval-looking/carved wooden hair sticks for myself -- they make me think of the legs on a chair or table too much. I agree that it's a little harder to find modern/futuristic-looking hair sticks. I have these (someone already mentioned this brand) that I like: https://overthehawaiianmoon.com/listing/486509227/two-6-silver-matte-finished-aluminum. I like more unconventional and/or modern looking sticks.

These sticks are wood, but the shapes of them are more modern/futuristic looking: https://sayadesigns.com/shop

Maybe something simple like a DPN (double pointed knitting needle) would work? I use one of those as a stick pretty often too; they come in different colors of metal although the one I have is bamboo.

Wow... that's futuristic! I love everything gold colored and have all necklaces and earrings in gold color. If I could find something like this in a gold color... this would benice :)

Wusel
June 7th, 2019, 04:47 PM

Yes, Fern, this wooden flower stick is wonderful :)

Wusel
June 7th, 2019, 04:52 PM

I was thinking about a ficcare but they are made from metal and i had some problems with metal clips in the past, headaches and pulling... I wasn't sure...
Jeans and a grey t-shirt are a perfect 'canvas' for a special hairtoy, yes :)

BerrySara
June 7th, 2019, 05:52 PM
Gurrrrllll, I gots you. I found some pretty futuristic hair accessories (https://pin.it/7hxsq6bi6o2g7a) that are super sick.

bparnell75
June 7th, 2019, 06:06 PM

Love that Calili Lilly

Elodea
June 7th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Maybe you could get one of those Saya Designs sticks and paint over it with gold-colored paint or nail polish? A bit of a makeshift solution, but then you'd get the gold color on a stick with a futuristic shape.

cjk
June 7th, 2019, 07:54 PM
I just went back and re-read the entire thread, focusing on your responses specifically.

Your issues seem to be, not with the materials, but with the fanciness of the medieval looking stuff.

Modern designs share two basic design elements, most of the time. One is materials, an increased use of polished metals and resins is common, sometimes placed in juxtaposition with a natural material like wood.

The other is a lack of embellishment, they are not typically decorated or fancy. There is a fineness of finish instead. The material itself is polished, maybe gloss and matte playing against one another, etc. Think iPhone.

A less common third element is repetition. It's part of the machined aesthetic, the ability to repeat the design precisely being a big part of it. Rose engine machining is a great example.

milosmomma
June 8th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Gurrrrllll, I gots you. I found some pretty futuristic hair accessories (https://pin.it/7hxsq6bi6o2g7a) that are super sick.

Ohmigosh that is lightyears into the future! haha

Badger
June 8th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Would that match your taste? (homepage is a bit weird ...)

http://kiehls-klunker.de/

(more of her work to be seen here: http://www.langhaarnetzwerk.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27860&hilit=klunker
and she has a -nearly empty- shop on etsy, but COs are welcome, as far as I know)

But it's all metal, though.

plonter
June 12th, 2019, 08:22 AM
Have you looked at Kitsch hair accessories? They are on Amazon, they look fairly modern and have plenty of low damage affordable options. I just bought slim phone cord ponytail holders from them, rose gold spin pins, and they have metallic minimalist claw clips and geometric Bobby pins.

But also if you love your hair toys and they dont match 100% your outfits I say go for it anyways! Its gonna be a unique custom touch to clash styles a bit, especially if its deliberate.

Wusel
June 14th, 2019, 12:30 AM
Would that match your taste? (homepage is a bit weird ...)

http://kiehls-klunker.de/

(more of her work to be seen here: http://www.langhaarnetzwerk.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27860&hilit=klunker
and she has a -nearly empty- shop on etsy, but COs are welcome, as far as I know)

But it's all metal, though.

Wow! That's some cool stuff! The sticks with the balls! SO cool... This would be something perfect for me. Thank you :)

Wusel
June 14th, 2019, 12:32 AM
Maybe you could get one of those Saya Designs sticks and paint over it with gold-colored paint or nail polish? A bit of a makeshift solution, but then you'd get the gold color on a stick with a futuristic shape.

Yes, I'm thinking about paintig the wooden stick gold with something. Will go to the art supply store and ask what kind of paint I need for that :) That's a good idea :)

Wusel
June 14th, 2019, 01:33 AM

Yeah, that's really sick. LOL!

leayellena
June 14th, 2019, 03:44 PM
Black hair toys work for me. I don't like mixing and matching colours. I always get comments how I can't match this with that colour so I am minimalist when it comes to... Well pretty everything. I will buy either a metal or black or Natural wooden stick