PDA

View Full Version : Oiling routines

Caribbean_girl
June 4th, 2019, 08:15 PM
I’m new here and don’f know if this thread already exists here, I apologize if it does. What’s your oiling routine? How often do you oil your hair and what oil works best for you? I’m really curious to read all of your responses! ☺️ I recently started oiling my hair for hair growth twice a week, I’m experimenting with an ayurdevic Bhrinjaj oil from India which is working great. Also, does anybody here oil their hair everyday?

blackgothicdoll
June 4th, 2019, 08:27 PM
My hair loooooves oil, but I must disclaim that I have coarse type 4 hair, using as much oil as I do might make you look like a greaseball :lol:

I typically wear my hair in dutch braids, anytime I redo my braids I put oil on my fingers so that my hair isn't dry when I'm touching it, or there isn't too much friction. I typically put oil on my fingertips anytime I'm styling my hair, unless I'm just shifting it around. For this, I have quite a few different oils I use, but my favorite is The Innate Life rose elixir - I love the smell of roses. Otherwise, I have a ton of Nightblooming oils, samples and larger bottles, and I like to put some rose EO in sunflower oil. Then I have some store-bought serums.

I do a heavy oiling before every wash, which is on the scalp with a scalp massage, and then all over the length. I like to use coconut oil with heat so that it can penetrate my hair. Yes my hair feels crunchy and awful after this, but after I wash it all out my hair feels very strong and happy. It loves coconut oil used like this, but not as a leave in. My favorite is Vatika coconut oil, I mix it with prepacked herbs and let that sit in a mason jar. In the winter there is a Parachute hot oil, I can't remember the exact name but it stays liquid in the cold and smells spicey, I love that.

And after washing I use shea butter, and some say a butter is a solid oil so that is why I'm adding this to the list :o I use it after I've washed and towel-dried my hair (I always put my hair in braids after washing to stretch it out). The amount of shea butter I use is probably too much for any hair type except maybe the threes - a fingertip amount, emulsified on my palms, 8 times (per 8 braids I make). The shea butter I used is 50/50 shea butter and sunflower oil, or shea butter and extra light EVOO. My hair is low porosity, but somehow that mix seems to actually penetrate my strands - even with that amount, my hair won't feel greasy the next day.

And then the inversion method, when I remember. I like very light oils, like avocado or horsetail for the scalp. Anything else is too heavy and my scalp will itch.

I love ayurvedic oils, I have a problem buying so many and then not using consistently :o But I think Parachute is my favorite brand, the ones without any mineral oil, and then Vatika is my second favorite. I always go back to those.

Stardreamer
June 4th, 2019, 08:27 PM
My comment isn't very relevant but I can contribute, I use argan oil every now and then to control my volume. I don't like the feel of my oiled hair much though.

Ylva
June 4th, 2019, 08:34 PM
My favourite way to oil my hair is to apply the oil on my dry hair, then apply a hair mask or a conditioner on top of the oil and leave it under a shower cap, followed by a wash (a good water rinse, then shampoo on the scalp and roots). The oil doesn't really matter, as long as it's plant oil.

hollygolightly
June 4th, 2019, 08:47 PM
I like using this diy scalp treatment (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJerH_oMNk&t=70s) every time I wash (30 minutes, one hour before) and for my length my favorite oil is avocado oil. I apply it until it looks damp. I leave it for as long as I can stand it, then I apply conditioner for 15 minutes and then I rinse everything out applying shampoo only to my roots and scalp.
I also use avocado oil on a daily basis, a really small amount unless I know I won't be going out the next day or i'll wear my hair up, if that happens i'll use a much more generous amount.

AutobotsAttack
June 4th, 2019, 08:49 PM
Often times I pre-poo with an oil. Usually Almond Oil on my longer lengths, or Shea Butter.

CosmoCat
June 4th, 2019, 09:39 PM
Is there a thread for which oils are best and worst for certain hair types and problems?

(For instance, I’m looking into macadamia oil for my “dry, damaged areas”, but I have no idea if it’s reliable information or not...found on an online Cosmopolitan article. I trust all of you most!)

Ylva
June 4th, 2019, 09:43 PM
Is there a thread for which oils are best and worst for certain hair types and problems?

(For instance, I’m looking into macadamia oil for my “dry, damaged areas”, but I have no idea if it’s reliable information or not...found on an online Cosmopolitan article. I trust all of you most!)

No oil will add moisture into your hair per se, but it can help seal it in and add elasticity, in which case it hardly matters which oil you use as long as your hair likes it otherwise.

The-Young-Maid
June 4th, 2019, 10:02 PM
I oil my hair daily after my shower. I almost always use coconut oil but in the past I've used olive, argan, camellia, rosehip and corn. I apply a generous fingertip x2(on wet hair)of oil all over starting at the ends. It makes my hair soft and shiny. I prefer coconut oil because it holds my braid waves the best, the others leave my hair too silky most of the time.

I'll sometimes oil dry hair if I'm staying home, just keep it braided all day. Once in a while I'll oil it right before a shower. But applying to wet hair is the best time to seal in moisture!

I'd like to try avocado at some point.

Joules
June 4th, 2019, 11:09 PM
EV olive oil for pre-poos, EV coconut oil for ROO, and a light cosmetic oil blend for after washing. At least for my hair olive oil works just as well if not better than exotic oils, and it's way cheaper, so I don't even bother with "unicorn horn" oils anymore.

ExpectoPatronum
June 4th, 2019, 11:47 PM
I pre-poo using a mixture of jojoba and olive oil. It works out very well for my hair.

milosmomma
June 5th, 2019, 12:12 AM
There is a hair oils thread that will tell you which oils penetrate, which oils just coats the strands and which do a little of each. Also many pages of peoples experience. I think it's good to have one going in the mane forum as well though. Here's the link(hopefully it works)
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971
I love oils and trying new ones. So far my hairs favorite is meadowfoam seed. I can use it the most ways, for roo, for smts and deep treatments but also light enough to use plain on dry hair for a little slip. I think my next favorite would be rich fatty nut oils like almond and macadamia and then thirdly more seed oils like sunflower and most recently I tried grape seed with great results. I have only ever found one oil my hair actually dislikes and that is coconut. It feels drying in my hair but my skin enjoys it.
The most beneficial way I've used oils has to be roo-ing. It locks in moisture for me and keeps my hair feeling supple and moisturized all the way til next wash with no need for additional leave ins, serums or sprays which I like to use, just not necessary when I use a roo.
I almost forgot about hemp oil which my hair also really likes and that one seems to bring out my waves the most for whatever reason(when used as roo). They say curls and waves crave moisture so possibly it is the most moisturizing oilI have on hand? Just thought I'd add that tidbit for the curlier haired people who find that oils stretch the curls out.

LittleHealthy
June 5th, 2019, 02:12 AM
My favourite way to oil my hair is to apply the oil on my dry hair, then apply a hair mask or a conditioner on top of the oil and leave it under a shower cap, followed by a wash (a good water rinse, then shampoo on the scalp and roots). The oil doesn't really matter, as long as it's plant oil.

This is literally, exactly what I do. Usually with olive, argan or almond!

Begemot
June 5th, 2019, 02:19 AM
I do hot oil treatments somewhat regularly (bi-monthly) and then use EVOO as pre-poo or as a leave-in every now and then. You can just barely call this a routine :D I use oil(s) more during winters.

YvetteVarie
June 5th, 2019, 04:25 AM
Like blackgothicdoll, I'm a type 4, so my oil use may seem heavier for other hair types.

I loooooooooooove oils and butters. My favourite oils are castor and avocado oil. These give me the best results when I use them to seal in moisture after washing my hair. My hair will stay moisturised until my next wash (usually after 7 - 14 days). I also use shea butter whipped with castor oil and grapeseed oil. I also use it to oil my hair and scalp after washing, and it keeps my hair moisturised for long periods. I also use heavy oils/butters when I detangle. This works better for me than conditioners, since the shed hair slips right now. With conditioners, my hair will coil up causing more tangles, so oils are a better bet. I also add oils to an average conditioner just to boost it a little.

As you can see, I am obsessed with oils and butters, and the nickel/dime sized amount recommendations are not my cup of tea. I slather them on, because it takes a lot for my hair to get greasy

ChloeDharma
June 5th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Like blackgothicdoll

As you can see, I am obsessed with oils and butters, and the nickel/dime sized amount recommendations are not my cup of tea. I slather them on, because it takes a lot for my hair to get greasy

I can relate to this, or rather I could at one point. When my hair was chemically fried and I was applying so much oil but my hair would just drink it up and look like there was nothing on it. Now that damage has grown out and my hair texture has changed from curly to straight (no idea how that happened) a little bit of oil goes a long way and I mostly only oil if I'm wearing my hair up or doing a pre wash heavy oiling.

A blend I have been using and like recently is a mix of red palm oil (not the one from Malaysia), mustard oil and kalonji oil + essential oils. This mix seems to do a good job on my scalp and leaves my length feeling pretty ok too.
Over the years I have used many MANY oils and love so many of them but I can't fit them all into my routine. I'm particularly fond of the infused oils when they contain extracts of bhringraj, brahmi and methi seed. I am currently infusing an oil blend at the moment so am impatiently waiting for it to be ready to strain and use.

CrazyPlantLady
June 5th, 2019, 08:02 AM
I use Jamaican black castor oil and almond oil as a pre-poo, then after I wash it all out I add leave in conditioner followed by some argan oil to really lock in the moisture. The argan oil is light enough where I can wear it everyday and my hair not get oily. My ends feel soft and healthy and I haven't trimmed in over 6 months and don't plan to anytime soon :)

cestlavie
June 5th, 2019, 08:05 AM
I do an pre-poo oil treatment once a week, the oil varies quite regularly but I often use avocado oil, coconut oil, argan oil or almond oil. Seperate or mixed. Sometimes I add EOs and castor oil when it's a treatment for the scalp.

I apply 3 drops of oil post wash.

Shorty89
June 5th, 2019, 05:18 PM
I don't have much of a routine. I tend to oil when damp after my hair is out of it's turbie towel. Right now I'm using a mix of oils, but I often just use coconut oil. for me, the trick is not to use too much but still use enough to make a difference in my hair's condition.

Caribbean_girl
June 5th, 2019, 06:48 PM
I love Parachute! Beware of Vatika, they use mineral oil in their products. How do you apply shea butter into your hair? This is a must try for me! ❤️

Caribbean_girl
June 5th, 2019, 06:49 PM
My hair loooooves oil, but I must disclaim that I have coarse type 4 hair, using as much oil as I do might make you look like a greaseball :lol:

I typically wear my hair in dutch braids, anytime I redo my braids I put oil on my fingers so that my hair isn't dry when I'm touching it, or there isn't too much friction. I typically put oil on my fingertips anytime I'm styling my hair, unless I'm just shifting it around. For this, I have quite a few different oils I use, but my favorite is The Innate Life rose elixir - I love the smell of roses. Otherwise, I have a ton of Nightblooming oils, samples and larger bottles, and I like to put some rose EO in sunflower oil. Then I have some store-bought serums.

I do a heavy oiling before every wash, which is on the scalp with a scalp massage, and then all over the length. I like to use coconut oil with heat so that it can penetrate my hair. Yes my hair feels crunchy and awful after this, but after I wash it all out my hair feels very strong and happy. It loves coconut oil used like this, but not as a leave in. My favorite is Vatika coconut oil, I mix it with prepacked herbs and let that sit in a mason jar. In the winter there is a Parachute hot oil, I can't remember the exact name but it stays liquid in the cold and smells spicey, I love that.

And after washing I use shea butter, and some say a butter is a solid oil so that is why I'm adding this to the list :o I use it after I've washed and towel-dried my hair (I always put my hair in braids after washing to stretch it out). The amount of shea butter I use is probably too much for any hair type except maybe the threes - a fingertip amount, emulsified on my palms, 8 times (per 8 braids I make). The shea butter I used is 50/50 shea butter and sunflower oil, or shea butter and extra light EVOO. My hair is low porosity, but somehow that mix seems to actually penetrate my strands - even with that amount, my hair won't feel greasy the next day.

And then the inversion method, when I remember. I like very light oils, like avocado or horsetail for the scalp. Anything else is too heavy and my scalp will itch.

I love ayurvedic oils, I have a problem buying so many and then not using consistently :o But I think Parachute is my favorite brand, the ones without any mineral oil, and then Vatika is my second favorite. I always go back to those.

I love Parachute! Beware of Vatika, they use mineral oil in their products. How do you apply shea butter into your hair? This is a must try for me! ❤️

Hairkay
June 6th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I only put a tiny bit (one or two drops of oil) on damp hair ends after a daily bath/shower. I don't need a lot since I keep to WO practices.

CosmoCat
June 6th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Thanks for that link, Milosmomma.

pinkypoo
June 6th, 2019, 11:18 PM
I'll overnight oil my hair once a week with coconut oil and a little caster oil massaged in the roots. I'll also lightly oil the lengths every other day with other various oils I have, sometimes after spraying it down with water or a detangler.

Carrieberry77
June 7th, 2019, 12:46 AM
I oil my hairline scalp with castor oil the night before I wash my hair.
I think I'm seeing more baby hairs in that area so far.

hennalove
June 7th, 2019, 09:15 AM
I’m new here and don’f know if this thread already exists here, I apologize if it does. What’s your oiling routine? How often do you oil your hair and what oil works best for you? I’m really curious to read all of your responses! ☺️ I recently started oiling my hair for hair growth twice a week, I’m experimenting with an ayurdevic Bhrinjaj oil from India which is working great. Also, does anybody here oil their hair everyday?

I lightly oil daily and heavier oil before henna. The only time I don't oil is just before and for 48 - 72 hrs after using indigo.