PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting...a permanent risk?

CosmoCat
June 4th, 2019, 07:37 PM
I’m still trying to figure out my hair. It’s likes and dislikes, what it needs. It seems to be prone to frizziness and dryness...even as extreme as brittleness and white dots with breakage...especially on the sides. The top and back are in decent condition.

If I experiment with butters, oils, etc. and it’s a bad match, is it as simple as moving on to the next or can it cause irreversible damage? I imagine, I have to give each time to know the results and the last thing I want to do is make things worse.

Also, considering areas of my hair are better and worse, do I treat them differently or the same? I’m starting to believe that it must be damage I’m causing, but I don’t know how...not heat styling or anything harsh.

Thanks for any suggestions!

milosmomma
June 4th, 2019, 07:56 PM
The only thing I experimented and had permanent damage from was bleach. With oils and conditioners, usually if your hair doesnt like it, you'll just look greasy until next wash and then be extra moisturized next time. With shampoos if they're drying for your hair it will be noticeable after the first wash and you can switch shampoos before damage occurs. Repeated drying washed could probably cause some permanent split ends and such but I dont think from one bad wash. When I had a mixture of bleach and virgin hair it was difficult to address both needs but if the damage areas are on the ends that should be easy to apply an oil or leave in to just those ends or side areas.
For dryness and frizzies I would suggest trying an acv(applecider vinegar) rinse. It seems to help my hair lie down and is said to close the cuticle. Also a roo(rinse out oil) during your wash could be helpful. It has helped my hair retain moisture. Also I would say to try one thing at a time so you can be sure of what and how your hair is reacting to it. Keep us posted and happy growing!

AutobotsAttack
June 4th, 2019, 08:59 PM
Only oil that might cause issues is coconut oil. But that’s only if you’ve got a bit of protein sensitivity. Other Oils and especially butter really don’t cause any damage. Butters are full of oleic acid, and other good natural fatty acids that help soften the hair.
So you’d be fine to experiment with oils and butters. If you end up using too much, you can just wash them out.

CosmoCat
June 4th, 2019, 09:42 PM
Thanks so much, I appreciate it. It’s overwhelming at times. This helps!

Spikey
June 4th, 2019, 10:40 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php?r=157-Ursula-s-Standard-Newbie-Advice-(by-Ursula)

This link has some really good advice about managing all the shiny new expiriments and routines you want to try, and how not to go overboard. I'd highly reccomend reading it if you haven't already, very helpful stuff, even though it doesn't directly answer your question.

Joules
June 4th, 2019, 10:57 PM
Butters really dry out my hair,but I wouldn't consider it damage. Things get back to normal the moment I stop using whatever's causing the dryness. So don't be afraid :)

ACV however did damage my hair. Or at least it triggered my already not so great ends to irreversibly turn velcro last year. So that's the only thing I wouldn't recommend, but that's me, everyone else seems to like it.

CosmoCat
June 4th, 2019, 11:57 PM
Thanks so much, everyone. I understand that there are many factors that go into it...diet, genetics, hair type, weather, etc. So, what works for one, might not for another. It’s always good to hear personal experiences, however.

lapushka
June 5th, 2019, 03:14 AM
The main thing is, try "one" thing at a time, or you won't know what is good or bad in the routine, and try it for a while. Switching back and forth between different things is not where it's at. Read the link that Spikey gave you!

Good luck!

YvetteVarie
June 5th, 2019, 04:19 AM
I would say go ahead and experiment. That way you'll know what works well for you, and you can get a set routine that will be easy to follow. I spent the first 5 years of caring for my hair experimenting. It's only since last year that I have really focused on a set routine and it's working. Good luck

CosmoCat
June 5th, 2019, 05:05 PM
Thanks, everyone...very helpful!