PDA

View Full Version : Can I exfoliate my scalp with my face exfoliator? BHA, chemical, not a scrub.

Wusel
June 3rd, 2019, 01:18 PM
I have a face exfoliator I use on my face sometimes, once a month or so when I have pimples and blackheads, and it's a huge bottle I will never be able to use up before it expires.
Do you think I can use it on my scalp?
I have never exfoliated my scalp, maybe I should...?

That's the ingredients:

Aqua, Butylene Glycol (hydration), Cetyl Alcohol (texture-enhancing), Cyclopentasiloxane (hydration), Dimethicone (hydration), Salicylic Acid (Beta Hydroxy Acid, exfoliant), Avena Sativa (Oat) Bran Extract (skin-soothing), Allantoin (skin-soothing), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (skin-soothing/antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (skin-soothing), Epilobium Angustifolium (Willow Herb) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (skin-soothing), Lauric Acid (skin-replenishing), Glycerin (skin-replenishing), Polysorbate 20 (texture-enhancing), Sorbitan Stearate (texture-enhancing), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (stabilizer), Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer (texture-enhancing), PEG-40 Stearate (texture-enhancing), Xanthan Gum (texture-enhancing), Hexylene Glycol (hydration), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Phenoxyethanol (preservative), Caprylyl Glycol (preservative).

akurah
June 3rd, 2019, 01:59 PM
Why do you want to exfoliate your scalp?

hayheadsbird
June 3rd, 2019, 02:22 PM
If I remember right, BHA helps unclog blocked pores, so in theory if you are getting clogged up pores on your scalp it would help. However I have no idea how it might react on your hair.

lapushka
June 3rd, 2019, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't.

In any case, look out for bleaching agents in the products and such if you are attempting this. Some face products aren't "fit" for hair at all.

Suortuva
June 3rd, 2019, 02:50 PM
If you can use it in your face, it should be ok to use it for your body too, I think. Which might be better option than scalp.

nycelle
June 3rd, 2019, 03:02 PM
BHA is Salicylic Acid. Is it an ingredient used in shampoos? I've never heard of it used that way.

It's a pretty strong chemical exfoliant. It might be a little too much on the scalp? If you're gonna use it, I'd only use a tiny bit.

Wusel
June 3rd, 2019, 03:17 PM
Why do you want to exfoliate your scalp?

I thought you should do it from time to time? Because many here do it? I don't know... :D

Wusel
June 3rd, 2019, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't.

In any case, look out for bleaching agents in the products and such if you are attempting this. Some face products aren't "fit" for hair at all.

I will google if there is a bleaching ingredient in it. I have used it on my itchy legs (I have itchy scalp and itchy legs sometimes too) and it helped kinda. Maybe they are itchy when there is dead skin cells which have to be removed... So, when my scalp gets itchy it would help to... that was what i was asking myself.

akurah
June 3rd, 2019, 03:41 PM
I thought you should do it from time to time? Because many here do it? I don't know... :D

I've never exfoliated my scalp...

Ylva
June 3rd, 2019, 03:44 PM
BHA is Salicylic Acid. Is it an ingredient used in shampoos? I've never heard of it used that way.

It's a pretty strong chemical exfoliant. It might be a little too much on the scalp? If you're gonna use it, I'd only use a tiny bit.

Many shampoos actually contain salicylic acid and it's used in scalp exfoliation products.

I recently used a BHA face product on my scalp (COSRX Blackhead Power Liquid) and it was fine. I wouldn't do it particularly often though.

Wusel
June 3rd, 2019, 05:03 PM
Many shampoos actually contain salicylic acid and it's used in scalp exfoliation products.

I recently used a BHA face product on my scalp (COSRX Blackhead Power Liquid) and it was fine. I wouldn't do it particularly often though.

That's interesting :) My exfoliant is for blackheads too.
No, I wouldn't do it often, just once a month or so. Like I do with my face. It's enough.

nycelle
June 3rd, 2019, 05:47 PM

After reading your post I was curious so googled shampoos with Salicylic acid.
I only found one by Aveda that had it.

Don't think it's a popular shampoo ingredient here.
But now I'm curious so gonna order the Aveda one just to see if it's any different than my Briogeo exfoliating shampoo.

Ylva
June 3rd, 2019, 06:07 PM
That's interesting :) My exfoliant is for blackheads too.
No, I wouldn't do it often, just once a month or so. Like I do with my face. It's enough.

That sounds just fine to me. :) But keep a close eye on your scalp in case it reacts in any kind of adverse way.

But now I'm curious so gonna order the Aveda one just to see if it's any different than my Briogeo exfoliating shampoo.

I checked the ingredients of the one I just used (Garnier Fructis Aloe Hydra Bomb Shampoo) and it was there. Towards the bottom, but it was there. If a shampoo is marketed as an exfoliating shampoo, it's quite likely to contain salicylic acid.

Entangled
June 3rd, 2019, 06:37 PM
I always think of T-sal, a dandruff/scalp irritation shampoo that has Salicylic acid as it’s active ingredient.

nycelle
June 3rd, 2019, 06:54 PM
That sounds just fine to me. :) But keep a close eye on your scalp in case it reacts in any kind of adverse way.

I checked the ingredients of the one I just used (Garnier Fructis Aloe Hydra Bomb Shampoo) and it was there. Towards the bottom, but it was there. If a shampoo is marketed as an exfoliating shampoo, it's quite likely to contain salicylic acid.

Can't get that one here.

I always think of T-sal, a dandruff/scalp irritation shampoo that has Salicylic acid as it’s active ingredient.

Yah, I was wondering if they were in the shampoos targeted for dandruff. Forgot about that one.

AutobotsAttack
June 3rd, 2019, 07:21 PM

Neutrogena has the T-Sal shampoo. Contains Salicylic acid.
There’s plenty more. Paul’s Choice, Walgreens brands shampoos, and a plethora of them on a amazon.

AutobotsAttack
June 3rd, 2019, 07:26 PM
I have a face exfoliator I use on my face sometimes, once a month or so when I have pimples and blackheads, and it's a huge bottle I will never be able to use up before it expires.
Do you think I can use it on my scalp?
I have never exfoliated my scalp, maybe I should...?

That's the ingredients:

Aqua, Butylene Glycol (hydration), Cetyl Alcohol (texture-enhancing), Cyclopentasiloxane (hydration), Dimethicone (hydration), Salicylic Acid (Beta Hydroxy Acid, exfoliant), Avena Sativa (Oat) Bran Extract (skin-soothing), Allantoin (skin-soothing), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (skin-soothing/antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (skin-soothing), Epilobium Angustifolium (Willow Herb) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (skin-soothing), Lauric Acid (skin-replenishing), Glycerin (skin-replenishing), Polysorbate 20 (texture-enhancing), Sorbitan Stearate (texture-enhancing), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (stabilizer), Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer (texture-enhancing), PEG-40 Stearate (texture-enhancing), Xanthan Gum (texture-enhancing), Hexylene Glycol (hydration), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Phenoxyethanol (preservative), Caprylyl Glycol (preservative).

It seems fine.
I don’t see what’s the big deal with some of these comments. There’s shampoos with ingredients way harsher than what it listed, and some people use them for any number of scalp issues, or just to get a good clarification wash.

So long as your length is getting moisture put back into it, and your scalp is being taken care of, then I see no reason why you can’t try it.

illicitlizard
June 3rd, 2019, 07:47 PM

Yeah there's salicylic acid in the coal tar shampoo I use when my scalp acts up, so it's probably aight on a 1-2x weekly basis.

Kat
June 3rd, 2019, 09:26 PM
Yah, I was wondering if they were in the shampoos targeted for dandruff. Forgot about that one.

Yup, I once saw a recommendation to crush up an aspirin in your shampoo if you have dandruff. Same thing.

lapushka
June 4th, 2019, 02:14 AM
It seems fine.
I don’t see what’s the big deal with some of these comments. There’s shampoos with ingredients way harsher than what it listed, and some people use them for any number of scalp issues, or just to get a good clarification wash.

So long as your length is getting moisture put back into it, and your scalp is being taken care of, then I see no reason why you can’t try it.

All I mentioned was to be on the look-out for bleaching agents. After all things that contain acids sometimes might contain Benzoyl Peroxide and you would not want that on your hair!

Wusel
June 4th, 2019, 07:02 AM
Thank you, guys. I will try it as soon as my scalp starts itching at night. I have this about once a month that I scratch my scalp at night until it bleeds. I've been to my dermatologist with that and she said there is nothing, it's probably stress or hormones or just warmth... It's mainly in the summer when the temperatures go up. Itchy legs, scalp, arms sometimes... Since it helped on my legs I will try it on my scalp then. I think, a tiny amount, only one pump, will be enough for the whole scalp because for the face it's recommended to use only one pump which is as much as one big drop, not much.
I like chemical exfoliators more than mechanical. My skin is too sensitive for that and freaks out as soon as I exfoliate mechanically. I have given away my Clarisonic face brush because even the softest brush made my skin freak out.
As far as I have checked there is nothing bleaching in it, lapushka. I think it's fine.

lapushka
June 4th, 2019, 07:43 AM
Thank you, guys. I will try it as soon as my scalp starts itching at night. I have this about once a month that I scratch my scalp at night until it bleeds. I've been to my dermatologist with that and she said there is nothing, it's probably stress or hormones or just warmth... It's mainly in the summer when the temperatures go up. Itchy legs, scalp, arms sometimes... Since it helped on my legs I will try it on my scalp then. I think, a tiny amount, only one pump, will be enough for the whole scalp because for the face it's recommended to use only one pump which is as much as one big drop, not much.
I like chemical exfoliators more than mechanical. My skin is too sensitive for that and freaks out as soon as I exfoliate mechanically. I have given away my Clarisonic face brush because even the softest brush made my skin freak out.
As far as I have checked there is nothing bleaching in it, lapushka. I think it's fine.

Oh that's good then! Always need to be on the lookout for stuff like that with acne stuff.

Aerya
June 4th, 2019, 09:25 AM
I would do a patch test first. It's probably okay if you use it on your face with no issues but keep in mind your scalp isn't used to it like your face is. I don't know the percentage of what you're using or the other ingredients, but be careful. Also don't use it too often. Over-exfoliation is a thing! :)

Wusel
June 4th, 2019, 10:03 AM
I would do a patch test first. It's probably okay if you use it on your face with no issues but keep in mind your scalp isn't used to it like your face is. I don't know the percentage of what you're using or the other ingredients, but be careful. Also don't use it too often. Over-exfoliation is a thing! :)

Thank you :) Yes, I will try on the top of my forehead and do it only once a month or so :)

AutobotsAttack
June 4th, 2019, 09:09 PM
All I mentioned was to be on the look-out for bleaching agents. After all things that contain acids sometimes might contain Benzoyl Peroxide and you would not want that on your hair!

That’s more or less not an issue since she literally posted all the ingredients. Benzoyl Peroxide being no where on that list. But okay.

The-Young-Maid
June 4th, 2019, 09:28 PM
That’s more or less not an issue since she literally posted all the ingredients. Benzoyl Peroxide being no where on that list. But okay.

Well it's a product that wasn't made for the scalp/hair... Nothing wrong with just reminding people to be careful. But okay.

AutobotsAttack
June 4th, 2019, 09:32 PM
Well it's a product that wasn't made for the scalp/hair... Nothing wrong with just reminding people to be careful. But okay.

So mocking me is supposed to prove your point? Like I said earlier there’s shampoos that have the exact same ingredients as the first 1-7 ingredients in it that wusel posted. Just in different orders.

Cetyl Alcohol = found in shampoos
Cyclopentasiloxane= found in hair serums and conditioners
Dimethicones = found in shampoos and conditioners
Butylene Glycol = found in shampoos and conditioners
Etc.

The difference is in how it’s marketed. Hence why I commented why I don’t understand the issue here. These are ingredients that are in almost every popular manufactured product for hair. You may not find them in identical order, but you can find them in plenty nonetheless.

Wusel
June 7th, 2019, 05:00 PM
So mocking me is supposed to prove your point? Like I said earlier there’s shampoos that have the exact same ingredients as the first 1-7 ingredients in it that wusel posted. Just in different orders.

Cetyl Alcohol = found in shampoos
Cyclopentasiloxane= found in hair serums and conditioners
Dimethicones = found in shampoos and conditioners
Butylene Glycol = found in shampoos and conditioners
Etc.

The difference is in how it’s marketed. Hence why I commented why I don’t understand the issue here. These are ingredients that are in almost every popular manufactured product for hair. You may not find them in identical order, but you can find them in plenty nonetheless.

Yes, I did a lot of research and all the ingredients can be found in drugstore shampoos, conditioners, masks and leave-ins. It should work. I will try next week and keep you updated. :) I have found 2 little pimples on my scalp which worry me a bit, looks like time to exfoliate.