PDA

View Full Version : Does a paranda work in thick APL hair? What am I doing wrong?

Wusel
June 3rd, 2019, 12:02 PM
So, I have paid 21 Euros for very good quality organic silk-wool and have made a paranda.
It took me 2 hours to make it, to measure and cut the yarn, and it took me another hour to figure out how to braid it with my hair. It's not easy or I'm not very talented.
The result is awful and NO WAY I would ever leave the house like this.
Any tips from experienced Paranda users...? I have it now and it was expensive and I would love to use it...
One of the problems is the knot which is quite bulky and you can't see it in the picture but from the side it gives me a bump on my head which looks very strange.
I did a french braid after I tried a regular braid because with the regular one it looked even worse. Ends sticking out all in one place, very visble and thick.
Every help is very much appreciated :)

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37147&d=1559580746
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37148&d=1559581027

The-Young-Maid
June 3rd, 2019, 01:11 PM
Blunt ends are difficult to bun as well as braid into a paranda. It's never going to be seamless unless your hair is already fairytaled. Idk how you managed to spend so much on wool, I suggested making a paranda because all you need is cheap yarn from the craft store.

Oil your hair thoroughly. I'd suggest doing twin braids since those will be easier to blend. Maybe use small, clear elastics to hide the thickest ends? I think it could still look really nice wrapped around your head milkmaid style.

I made two or three parandas before and one was knee length blue/purple. My ends poked out a bit but for the most part were hidden because my ends were fairytaled. You'll have to experiment.

Wusel
June 3rd, 2019, 02:11 PM
Blunt ends are difficult to bun as well as braid into a paranda. It's never going to be seamless unless your hair is already fairytaled. Idk how you managed to spend so much on wool, I suggested making a paranda because all you need is cheap yarn from the craft store.

Oil your hair thoroughly. I'd suggest doing twin braids since those will be easier to blend. Maybe use small, clear elastics to hide the thickest ends? I think it could still look really nice wrapped around your head milkmaid style.

I made two or three parandas before and one was knee length blue/purple. My ends poked out a bit but for the most part were hidden because my ends were fairytaled. You'll have to experiment.

Thank you :) I have paid so much because I live very ecofriendly and try to avoid chemicals and I have bought it in a special shop which sells only natural, hand-dyed (with natural plant dyes) wool. And It's 50% silk/50% wool and made in Germany. Not imported.
I love the idea of wearing silk and wool in my hair and really want to learn it, so, it was a good investment :)
I will try twin braids. I have enough wool left for a second paranda. :) I'll make one now :)

Sarahlabyrinth
June 3rd, 2019, 02:21 PM
Keep practising. If you dampen your hair before braiding it will help the ends to be tucked into the paranda more easily. You'll have to practice for a bit to get it right.

Wusel
June 3rd, 2019, 02:23 PM
Keep practising. If you dampen your hair before braiding it will help the ends to be tucked into the paranda more easily. You'll have to practice for a bit to get it right.

Thank you :) Good to know, yes... I will try with damp hair tomorrow. Tomorrow is wash day :)