PDA

View Full Version : pixie hair at mullet stage- but trying to grow..eeek

pixitolong
June 3rd, 2019, 06:15 AM
Help!
So my pixie hair has reached the mullet stage literally in the last week. Its about 3-4 inches on the top, 2 inches on the sides and 4 and 5 inches at the back all uneven. I don't want to cut my hair. So who has gone through this stage before and how did you get past it? Did you just let it go through the stage or cut the back? I'm getting length and scissors are the most scary thing to me now. I just wonder how long this stage could possibly last?

Sarahlabyrinth
June 3rd, 2019, 06:33 AM
You have my sympathy. I have never had a pixie, so can't advise you on how long it will take. Know this though - if you can get through the mullet stage you can get through any stage.... :D I think trying to forget about it for a few months might be best, and you will be surprised at how fast it does grow, it's so much more obvious at the shorter lengths!

pixitolong
June 3rd, 2019, 06:47 AM
You have my sympathy. I have never had a pixie, so can't advise you on how long it will take. Know this though - if you can get through the mullet stage you can get through any stage.... :D I think trying to forget about it for a few months might be best, and you will be surprised at how fast it does grow, it's so much more obvious at the shorter lengths!

True. Oh I hope just a few months. That wouldn't be so bad. I'm waking up everyday to my hair sticking up as well, like Kramer from Seinfeld. Haha I will look back at this and laugh...

czech it out
June 3rd, 2019, 07:59 AM
There is a little “pixie growing” community on YouTube that I bet would be helpful for ideas and commiseration! I have a friend who has made some videos about growing her pixie - I’ll post a link after I’m home from work!

Edit: here she is! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC_q0b666dzNM4vCfzv-gQLQ/videos

RubberDucky
June 3rd, 2019, 08:12 AM
I actually started growing from a crop-short pixie so I know the pain. I kept the mullet part trimmed but I know others have let it grow at its own pace, pinning the back up with clips, doing tiny braids/pigtails etc. If you keep the mullet you'll have longer looking hair much faster - I got my last pixie cut in October 2017, my avatar picture (finally all at shoulder length) was taken yesterday.

cjk
June 3rd, 2019, 08:51 AM
There's a reason they call it an awkward stage.

Just grab a trucker cap and put on some Kid Rock. You'll be through it in no time.

Seriously, though, small braids can help control it. Headbands. Don't try to force it into shapes, but work with it in the direction it lays naturally. And just make it look like you did it on-purpose.

Wusel
June 3rd, 2019, 11:10 AM
I am PRO-MULLET.
I like everything awkward, different and strange, so, honestly, if I were you I would rock the mullet and start a new trend!
Nobody wears it, so, here I am! Why not?
You will stand out and with some good self-confidence you can make everyone believe that you want it like this. :)

lapushka
June 3rd, 2019, 03:07 PM
Hi! Maybe try and see what's in the shorties thread. There's lots of support in there to guide you through this stage in your growing process. I'll link it for you, hold on (searching, found it). Here you go:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405

Reyn127
June 3rd, 2019, 03:44 PM
Hi there, I shaved my head and definitely remember a few awkward stages as it grew out. I did personally choose to trim the longest bits off a few times, but back then I wasn’t extremely focused on my hair. But I definitely bought and used gel during that time, which at least made it behave. Maybe mousse would have been better, but I knew almost nothing about hair at that point. So I would recommend maybe one of those. Headbands that wrap all the way around your head might make it look a little better, as well. It might also be a good time to start practicing French/Dutch braiding!

CosmoCat
June 3rd, 2019, 05:39 PM
I’m of no help, just wanted to say that I plan to have a mullet of sorts. The sides of my hair are always in worse condition than my back. I think that is why I struggle with what to do with my hair...cut or grow. This time, I’m going to try keeping the sides shoulder length and grow the back to bra strap length...maybe longer. I’m hoping layering will make it blend well enough.

blackgothicdoll
June 3rd, 2019, 06:43 PM
I wore weaves the whole time I was growing out my pixie cut. I still had an awkward stage, but it was to the point I could do a little pony/bun with bangs out. I'm a cheater xD But if you're able to do wigs, or even cute headbands and scarves, hiding it for awhile is very helpful.

illicitlizard
June 3rd, 2019, 07:57 PM
I cut the mullet off but also have less textured hair than you, I feel like with more wave or curl you can somewhat get away with a mullet looking intentional. Especially with that shag haircut trend I keep seeing around.
For me personally, it was extremely worth it to chop the mullet off because it made my hair look more put together, sort of like a layered bob which I've been able to grow out untouched for 7 months or so thus far. Again though, it depends on how you want the hemline to look and how long you can stand to look mullety, I imagine it'll last until the top layers of hair get to around chin length which can be a long while depending on your growth rate.
Other options are accessorise, put it up in a mini pony tail as soon as you can manage it to get the offending bits up and less noticeable, headscarves, wigs, or embrace the mullet.

Vacurlylady
June 3rd, 2019, 08:33 PM
My past pixie cut was October 2017. I had the back mullet trimmed in January 2018. It wasn’t a lot cut off, but just that one trim helped me get over that stage. I claw clipped back my bangs any which way. That was the last time I had scissors to my hair. Last summer was the hardest part. It was hot and I couldn’t put it up. This year I am able to put it in a bun, pony tail or a French twist w a flexi-8. Happy growing and enjoy the journey! 😃

zmirina
June 3rd, 2019, 08:39 PM
I actually started growing from a crop-short pixie so I know the pain. I kept the mullet part trimmed but I know others have let it grow at its own pace, pinning the back up with clips, doing tiny braids/pigtails etc. If you keep the mullet you'll have longer looking hair much faster - I got my last pixie cut in October 2017, my avatar picture (finally all at shoulder length) was taken yesterday.

i kept my trimmed, nearly shaved, until the upper sections caught up. it was expensive and annoying, but i could not tolerate the look.

Jo Ann
June 3rd, 2019, 08:56 PM
My last pixie was almost 50 years ago. I ignored it and just let it grow out.

There's a reason they call it an awkward stage.

Just grab a trucker cap and put on some Kid Rock. You'll be through it in no time...

I would TOTALLY do this! A couple more months down the road, and you'll be past this.

Obsidian
June 3rd, 2019, 10:19 PM
I'm growing out a shave and won't be trimming the mullet unless it gets considerably longer then the rest of my hair. Mine isn't so bad though since its the same length all over, it looks more like a shag.

If I had multiple lengths like you do, I would probably trim up the back regularly until it and the sides were the same length.

Hellebore
June 3rd, 2019, 10:25 PM
I am PRO-MULLET.
I like everything awkward, different and strange, so, honestly, if I were you I would rock the mullet and start a new trend!
Nobody wears it, so, here I am! Why not?
You will stand out and with some good self-confidence you can make everyone believe that you want it like this. :)

Also pro mullet here. One of my friends cut her long hair into a mullet and it actually was a really beautiful cut on her. People made fun of it when she told them about it, but changed their tune when they saw her because it just somehow worked on her. Some people just rock them well, I guess.

MissMuse
June 4th, 2019, 12:51 AM
I trimmed my mullet as I wanted an even hem line but each to their own!! It wasn't that long since I was there and now I have almost APL so hang in there it will pass. A hat and Bobby pins are your friend right now :)

Aerya
June 4th, 2019, 01:23 AM
Well, shags are super popular now. If you don't want to cut you might as well embrace it! Or you can pin the back up, wear a hat, or a cute bandana. Growing out short hair is a PITA but you'll get there! :flower:

Paco
June 4th, 2019, 09:56 AM
I can 1000% relate. I am currently at mid back now, but have been growing out a pixie for about 3.5 years now. I remember the mullet stage, and everyone at work told me to "shape it" so that it wasn't like that... I never took their advice and just kept growing it (not even a trim until shoulder length) and eventually it all evened out. now with little micro-trims, it is almost one length. I know this part is TORTURE. I would suggest getting little clips and head bands to play around with it. you'll get there with time and patience.

Cayy
June 4th, 2019, 08:56 PM
When I had shorter hair (Bob) I loved using bobby pins to twist and tuck pieces away, and it would give my hair an “up” do/ look like I styled it; maybe try using some clips and clip the shorter or longer pieces up until you get past this stage? That way it won’t be as noticeable to you