PDA

View Full Version : Slowest growing hair in the east! Humph--fine hair!

Ponytale
November 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Wow--I read about those of you gaining an inch a month. I have so little growth! I am only gaining a few inches a year since the growth is mainly in a few gallopers, my hair is fine, and I want blunt ends!

I had my husband cut my hair last night. Although I was excited to get to 31", it was terribly tangly. Within hours of wearing it down or in a ponytail, I was getting mats of snarls, and losing hair in the process of getting them out. Trims help that. After he was done, you could not even see the hair on the floor--yet I lost over a half inch! I wear it up all the time for health. I have no idea how it is that I used to wear it down all the time years ago!

Ah well.

freznow
November 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Tangles are horrid!

When's the last time you clarified? That was my problem, a few weeks ago. And S&D helped immensely.

I wish I could wear my hair down...

Ponytale
November 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I tried to clarify a couple of times this month thinking that was it. I am using shampoo bars and vinegar, which thickens my hair, but may add to the snarling problem. I can't figure out if that was it, or the uneven ends. I guess I will know in a few days since it was cut.

Siava
November 7th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Ponytale, I used to be able to wear mine down and even blow dry it on a regular basis when I was younger. Back then though, my hair was much thicker and resilient. I'm sure our hormone changes via getting older is the culprit. I'm in the same boat as you - slow growth. I simply can't imagine gaining 1" a month. Anyhoo, you're not alone, lady. I hope the cut helps.

Anje
November 7th, 2008, 07:18 AM
FWIW, my ends kink and tangle tons when they get dried out, and treatments like SMTs restore them to a non-tangly state. That doesn't help with the slow growth and the gallopers, but if it helps, you won't have to trim because the ends are getting velcro-like.

Arctic
November 7th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I have a slowly growing hair too, less than avarage. I could only dream how it would be to have fast growth, but I try not to. I try to be content with my hair and most of the time it's working. I try to keep the ends in good shape so I can keep most of the growth.

We can do it!

spidermom
November 7th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I figured out recently that putting oil on clean damp hair causes dust and lint to stick, which causes my hair to knot up. It does better with a very light application of coney serum. It doesn't take me 20 minutes to comb out the tangles/knots anymore. Hooray!

Curlsgirl
November 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I figured out recently that putting oil on clean damp hair causes dust and lint to stick, which causes my hair to knot up. It does better with a very light application of coney serum. It doesn't take me 20 minutes to comb out the tangles/knots anymore. Hooray!

SM just wanted you to know that I quit oiling and just use the leave-in conditioner now and I can tell the difference too in tangling!!! I find I don't really even need the oil! I may still use it on the ends.

girlcat36
November 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM
No, you are wrong---I have the slowest growing hair!

jojo
November 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM
no you are wrong girlcat I am actually contending for 1st place in the Guinness Book Of Records actually!! but from little acorns......not that I want an oak tree growing out of my head.....what was the question again? oh yeah tangles cones all the way for me, I am also a contender for most tangled hair too! but yes cones help me!

Ponytale
November 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the replies--I am laughing about competing for first, or is it last place??

I did wonder about the oils. I used to like a George Michael leave-in (Gosh--I think it was pink?), but I dumped it after coming to this site and realizing it has cones. Maybe it is worth revisiting from the experiences you all posted here!

girlcat36
November 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
And I have to add in that cones cause my fine hair to break off on the ends. For years I thought my hair was not growing. I didn't realize all the little 1/2-1" pieces of hair on the bathroom counter were the ends of my hair!:rolleyes:

Ponytale
November 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I was trying to remember what was bad about cones Girlcat. That answers my question. OK--I think I will start simple and try to use less oil to see what that does first. I also pulled out my Giovanni Direct Leave-in and put it in a spritzer with water for the ends. Time to experiment I guess.

jojo
November 9th, 2008, 02:30 AM
And I have to add in that cones cause my fine hair to break off on the ends. For years I thought my hair was not growing. I didn't realize all the little 1/2-1" pieces of hair on the bathroom counter were the ends of my hair!:rolleyes:

oh my but i bet they were cute little hairs all the same;)

Katze
November 9th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Ponytale, what about an SMT?

You are not alone in having slow growing hair. I'm also trimming for thicker ends, and since joining this site have grown from just-past-shoulder to almost-BSL. The sprinter hairs get long and make my ends look ratty, so I trim them...it is slowly getting long but I see people who joined when I did who are at tailbone, and my hair still doesn't even cover my bra strap...

the tangles do sound like not enough moisture or too much dirt/lint. My ends get like that when they are dirty, or from too much handling (too many updos) and not enough combing.

I am still thinking it's lack of moisture. 'cones might be OK for you, so might oil, but then again you have to see if they work for YOU.

spidermom
November 9th, 2008, 01:29 PM
SM just wanted you to know that I quit oiling and just use the leave-in conditioner now and I can tell the difference too in tangling!!! I find I don't really even need the oil! I may still use it on the ends.

That's very reassuring to hear; I've only had one other LHCer acknowlege the same problem before you. I oil before washing now to protect those old, fragile ends from the shampoo. I tried without oiling before washing also, and my hair feels more moisturized if I do.