PDA

View Full Version : Very Slow Progress - What to think when you have less than average growth :(?

Aronomy
November 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hey everyone!

So while I am tracking my progress, I try not to be obsessive:

I don't measure, I don't take weekly pictures, I don't stress about hair....

BUT, I can't help notice I don't even get the average growth per year. I take monthly pictures and they are getting depressing, looking even shorter than prior months when I haven't cut.

How do you stay positive when you have less than average growth and you see all of the beautiful hair here that grows soooo fast?!

MsBubbles
November 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
First of all, I've seen your photos and you, yourself, have been one of those whose hair progress I have envied!

Second of all, over time I have finally somehow learned not to wish I had somebody else's hair (texture, color, length, etc.), or somebody else's narrow hips, flat ears, small nose, etc. And a few months after I became a frequent visitor here (i.e. hooked), I had to take myself aside and give myself a good talking to because I found myself getting depressed that my hair looked so ratty at the back, and not like other, thicker-haired ladies'.

I hope that helps some. Your hair is beautiful, by the way!

girlcat36
November 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
It's an exercise in patience.
And I think you've had more progress than me!

Akiko
November 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I like trying new updos and new hairtoys. It keeps me occupied enough that I don't really think how short my hair is. In fact, I am little worried that I may not be able to do my favorite updos (French twist, Gibson tuck) if it gets longer. In fact, I had my hair cut quite a bit a year ago because I could not do these updos.:o

You have beautiful hair. It's long enough to do all sorts of updos now. Why not enjoy your hair now?

Ponytale
November 6th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Oh my--I just posted above about the same problem! Then I saw your post. I know your pain!

Speckla
November 6th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Slow or not - you've gained length and your hair look lovely and very healthy! I say job well done!
________
Honda Sonic specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Sonic)

Chromis
November 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
There is no point in worrying over it, it won't help it grow any quicker. In fact increased stress might be more likely to make you shed more. Learn some new syles, try on some pretty hair toys, enjoy the length you have!

ChloeDharma
November 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'd say you have very decent growth there.
It's very easy to sit here comparing our hair to other members and just getting progressively more down on ourselves about it, but it's quite pointless as we have what we have and have to learn to view it with a bit more leniancy i think. Also i think we tend to see all the positives in other peoples hair and all the negatives of our own.
I think the thing to do is just focus on your own progress and take time to look for the things we like about our hair (this goes for the rest of ourselves too). If you appreciate it in the now, get a new hairtoy now and then, play around with DT's and focus on all that's good today, then tomorrow and the longer lengths will seem to follow much quicker with less chance of what i call pessamistic chops.

sneakybea
November 6th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I don't really have any advice but I agree with what the others have said: don't worry about how long it takes you to make progress; you'll get there eventually! I've been growing since I was about eleven or so, but I was stuck at mid back for ages! When my mother, who didn't cut her hair until she was twelve, told me she never reached waist, I thought I'd never get there. But eventually I did, and I'm sure you'll reach your desired length as well. Just hang in there!

Golden21
November 6th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I also have slow growth. Monistat has helped me. The way I look at it, it has to grow a little bit, so in the long run it will get long! Have you tried vitamins or monistat?

xrosiex
November 6th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Your growth doesnt look to bad to me. I dont have super fast growth either.

Vitalai
November 6th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I also have slow growth. It seems like my hair is stuck at APL.

Your hair is so beautiful! It's long enough to do some pretty updos and braids. Play with it, buy some hair toys, and enjoy it. It'll distract you, and you'll have some new growth before you know it!

spidermom
November 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I always thought of myself as somebody who had slow growth (though that's not the case anymore). Whenever I would get frustrated about it, I'd put my hair up quickly every morning without looking at it and get busy with life. Nothing makes hair grow slower than constantly checking the length.

Do whatever you can to eat a good diet, drink plenty of water, reduce/eliminate bad habits, and get some exercise. Then relax; you've done all that you can do. Enjoy your hair; every length has its advantages.

rapunzhell13
November 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Try to remember that if you choose not to cut your hair will always be longer than it was yesterday and it *will* get there eventually. :)

sahiba
November 6th, 2008, 10:12 PM
If I am in one of those moods I just sing Shaggy's " Why me Why me " and forget the whole thing .Some times :meditate: .
But seriously stop checking . We had a siggy here which I loved a lot ... a watched hair never grows.

Tangles
November 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
You are at BSL, right? You have blunt ends, shine, just overall really healthy looking hair. A lot of us here have more growth but we need to trim off a lot because its not healthy growth. Slow and steady... :)

PS--Most people would consider your hair the ideal "long" length--it's long but probably not too difficult to manage. So enjoy that while you can.

Neen
November 6th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I think your hair looks much improved - it shines and has definately grown!

My length progress has actually gone backwards because my ends are in such poor condition that I have to keep getting regular trims, and of more than my growth. I've never been able to grow my hair even to BSL and sometimes I wonder if I ever will be able to, but I do know that this time I'm taking a different approach! As girlcat said it's an exercise in patience and in the meantime I'm continuing to take better care of my hair and throw in a few scalp massages as well...

I know how discouraging it can be looking at all the beautiful long thick hair on here and wondering if you'll ever get there, so feel free to look at my progress picture album and know that you're not the only one on the up-hill side of the journey, or there is one thread that I found particularly encouraging which has some amazing then and now shots!

ETA: Found it.. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7379

jojo
November 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I always thought of myself as somebody who had slow growth (though that's not the case anymore). Whenever I would get frustrated about it, I'd put my hair up quickly every morning without looking at it and get busy with life. Nothing makes hair grow slower than constantly checking the length.

Do whatever you can to eat a good diet, drink plenty of water, reduce/eliminate bad habits, and get some exercise. Then relax; you've done all that you can do. Enjoy your hair; every length has its advantages.
Funny how we see ourselves SM you IMHO have very fast growing hair!

jojo
November 7th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I think you have had great growth in such a relatively short time, we all want quick instant results eh? I try and ignore mine, like a a watched pot never boils!

curly girl fla
November 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I think your hair is beautiful, and I would give anything for your length! My hair never seems to grow and I get major curl shrinkage....Enjoy the terrific progress you've made :)

Deborah
November 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Your hair HAS grown, and it looks beautiful. Anyone would consider your hair 'long', it is just not as long as you would eventually like. Every length of long has it's advantages. At your present length you should be able to do lovely updos, and not have to worry about them being excessively heavy, or about having hair sticking out that you just can't fit into a particular bun.

The grass is always greener somewhere else, but try to enjoy the beautiful long hair that you already have. :flower:

VikingJarl
November 8th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Your hair growth looks pretty good to me! Mine hasn't increased in length at all in the past couple of months, despite it growing well the three months previous. I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment, so know how you feel.

I try to be upbeat about it though and try new hair products or new braids.