PDA

View Full Version : Long hair and your significant other...

Wusel
May 29th, 2019, 06:13 AM
How does your SO deal with your hair?
Are they annoyed because they have to be careful to not tangle it, lie on it, pull on it?
Or because you spend an hour in the bathroon washing, conditioning, detangling...?
Many years ago I have cut my hair from waist to around shoulder (YES, I WAS A TOTAL IDIOT!) because my ex-boyfriend was so careless that he kept ripping out and breaking my hair all the time (he didn't like that long hair too) and at some point I just gave up.
Fortunately my current BF loves long hair and is very careful not to pull it or tangle it. He's Bavarian and supports me in growing it for Octoberfest. :)
Curious to hear about your experiences with your hair craze and partners.

eresh
May 29th, 2019, 06:18 AM
When we met my SO had long hair too :o
So he knows how to deal with it.
I always wear my hair in a braid in bed and tuck it under my pillow, so he nor the cats can lie on it.
He is annoyed sometimes when I ask him to measure/trim or take a picture of my hair haha.
But he always does help me out :o

Wusel
May 29th, 2019, 06:24 AM
I always wear my hair in a braid in bed and tuck it under my pillow, so he nor the cats can lie on it.
He is annoyed sometimes when I ask him to measure/trim or take a picture of my hair haha.

That's great :)
I had a boyfriend with long hair many years ago but he didn't take much care of it. Sulph-wash was everything he did for it. He didn't know much about masks and conditioners before he met me.

cestlavie
May 29th, 2019, 06:54 AM
My boyfriend/partner doesn't mind my hair hobby/obsessions. He actually thinks it's interesting and wants to learn from it too. Unfortunately his hair becomes thinner and thinner (genes you know) but he doesn't care about that much and wants his scalp to be healthy as possible despite the thinning. So I oil his scalp sometimes and he asks about ingredients that are good for the scalp etc etc.
He only knows me with short hair so long hair (APL+ and going) is a new thing for him but he thinks it's pretty and he enjoys me being enthusiastic about hair related things.

Dung Beetle
May 29th, 2019, 07:27 AM
My husband has shoulder-length hair. He rips a brush through it when it's wet, washes it with whatever, whenever, and of course it's beautiful. It's wavy and silver-white (I call it wizard hair).
Since his hair is so easy to care for, I get the sense that he thinks it's some kind of woman silliness for me to put any thought or effort into mine. Don't need his permission, though...

TreesOfEternity
May 29th, 2019, 07:42 AM
My BF has HL hair and loves that we both are growing our hair together :) he loves my hairstyles but gets a bit frustrated with my mechanical damage paranoia which I totally get lol.

lithostoic
May 29th, 2019, 08:10 AM
My fiance likes my hair. His is shoulder length and growing.

Liz_H
May 29th, 2019, 08:19 AM
DH is not a big fan of my long hair and some of the issues it causes. He knows it makes me happy, so he no longer says anything.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 29th, 2019, 08:38 AM
DH never says anything about my hair. He helps me to get a photo from time to time, and measures it for me when I ask, and complains when shed hairs stick to his socks, but that's about it :p It could be worse!

Oh, he did tell me the other day when we were out that a man was staring at my braid.

MoonRabbit
May 29th, 2019, 09:05 AM
My partner doesn't mind my long hair at all. He prefers my hair long and he really enjoys scouting out hair toys for me. He trims it when I ask, takes seasonal pictures when they are due. Yeah, he's a good champ.

His hair is always hovering around shoulder, collarbone, or apl. Including a 5 year unkempt beard. We are just very hairy people.

littlestarface
May 29th, 2019, 09:53 AM
My boyfriend can't stand my hair but if I were to cut it he wouldn't like it either, I think he likes a certain length like TB what my hair used to be many many moons ago but even then he was annoyed with it.

How he deals with it? bitch about it loooool. Its not cuz anything I do to it its cuz I have wild wavy hair and when its down it goes every which way its like a monster from the sea and grabs onto anything with its many many tentacles.

Deborah
May 29th, 2019, 09:55 AM
My husband has always liked my long hair, so there is no problem there.

Ylva
May 29th, 2019, 10:04 AM
My boyfriend is quite indifferent towards the length of my hair. I think he's one of those people who could find certain lengths "weirdly long", but I'll train him as my hair gets longer and longer. He's a work in progress, still. I think he would like a little bit more change in my hair, be it colour or style - right now he seems quite excited about me growing out my virgin hair, but I know it's not so important to him that he'd break up with me or anything because my hair isn't exactly what he would prefer. :D

He knows to be quite gentle and careful with my hair, but some months ago, I got pretty annoyed with him with regards to my hair. I was wearing my hair loose and for some reason, he thought it appropriate to rub my back with my hair between his palm and my back. I reacted immediately and gathered my hair in the front, but that was of course too late. Then, I threw my hair back again, and he did the same AGAIN! He doesn't normally even do that and hasn't done so since, so to this day, I can't really understand what was going through his mind then.

daisy rei
May 29th, 2019, 10:21 AM
I thought there was already a thread on this? (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=101516&page=5)

ETA: That’s not even the thread I was thinking of! There are many multiples of this question, my bad.

Begemot
May 29th, 2019, 10:43 AM
My BF doesn't mind my hair/hair hobby. Never said anything negative about my hair or my routine. Though he hasn't seen me with long long hair (when we met it was around MBL and then I cut shorter). Once or twice has my hair got caught under him but that's about it, no other practical problems :D He takes care of his appearance, beard especially. Grooming is important for both of us so he gets it.

AutobotsAttack
May 29th, 2019, 11:59 AM
My husband decided to grow his hair as long as it will go. He’s currently approaching Hip length.

This was last year when he was at roughly waist length:
https://i.imgflip.com/326bie.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/326bie)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

My husband and I are of different ethnicities, so for a while he would watch me do my hair, and the certain steps I have to take to take care of it. He’s used to me taking forever to detangle, doing braids, cornrows, twists, deep conditioning, etc. He understand the way I sleep, and not to lay on it, or try not to get caught in it.

We both take length shots for eachother, and I help him with bunning and braiding since he’s not that good at it.
Recently he asked me to help him Deep Condition, and to get him a bonnet since he wants to keep his hair protected at night. The bonnet never stays but at least he’s trying lol. He has SD, so I’ve helped him develope a wash routine for his scalp care.

He’s no where near as caring about long hair as I am. He still shreds through his hair with a brush, and refuses to use anything other than scrunchies. The band kinds. But I find it fun to have someone who understands long hair, and likes it with me.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 29th, 2019, 12:03 PM
My husband decided to grow his hair as long as it will go. He’s currently approaching Hip length.

https://i.imgflip.com/326bie.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/326bie)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

My husband and I are of different ethnicities, so for a while he would watch me do my hair, and the certain steps I have to take to take care of it. He’s used to me taking forever to detangle, doing braids, cornrows, twists, deep conditioning, etc. He understand the way I sleep, and not to lay on it, or try not to get caught in it.

We both take length shots for eachother, and I help him with bunning and braiding since he’s not that good at it.
Recently he asked me to help him Deep Condition, and to get him a bonnet since he wants to keep his hair protected at night. The bonnet never stays but at least he’s trying lol. He has SD, so I’ve helped him develope a wash routine for his scalp care.

He’s no where near as caring about long hair as I am. He still shreds through his hair with a brush, and refuses to use anything other than scrunchies. The band kinds. But I find it fun to have someone who understands long hair, and likes it with me.

Your husband has wonderful hair! :)

hinabelle
May 29th, 2019, 12:15 PM
My SO tried long hair once (it got to around chin) and decided it wasn't for him.
He mainly loves the texture of my hair, but is worried that more length will mean more time
spent taking care of it. I'm trying to convince him that's not the case. :lol:
Especially with my texture, my goal is probably just to get it as long as it can grow. I've
never seen 3c+ at classic unstretched. But even if I get close, my SO will still love it :o

AutobotsAttack
May 29th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Your husband has wonderful hair! :)

Thank you!!! I’m sure he’d love the kind words :)

desisparkles
May 29th, 2019, 04:04 PM
AutobotsAttack, how fun it must be do your hubby's hair! Mine would love to grow his but can't due to being in the military. He is polynesian and has typical poly hair - thick, dark, lush with wave and ohhh I'm getting too excited thinking about this....

Corvana
May 29th, 2019, 05:36 PM
My husband was so happy when I decided to grow out my hair, and ecstatic when I said I was wanting it to be very very long. He's even said that I should grow to my knees or the floor! I don't know about that, though :laugh:

He has a beard that's quite long that he takes care of, so he sort of understands with my hair. But he does still forget to never pet wet hair :eek: No touchy!! But he's getting better :laugh:

LittleHealthy
May 29th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Mine loves it when my hair is long but I’m a broken record constantly saying “please don’t scruff up my hair” when he walks past and rubs me on the back etc :laugh:

Caribbean_girl
May 29th, 2019, 08:27 PM
My husband is actually supporting with my hair hobby. We both oil our hair and I massage his scalp to prevent it from falling more. (his genes) Thanks to him I started loving my natural hair and stopped damaging it with heating tools. He loves my crazy, curly hair!

trolleypup
May 29th, 2019, 08:29 PM
We're both about the same length, and both practice benign neglect. Definitely not a problem.

Suortuva
May 30th, 2019, 12:44 AM
When I told my husband I wanted to grow my hair long (it was shortish, just above my shoulders back then) he just spontaneously laughed and said, honey I don't think you have that kind of hair that will grow long... Aarghh, but my hair was always somewhere around my shoulders, I never reached APL because it got so damaged and tangly, and he had seen my struggling with this for years, so maybe it's understandable.

Anyway, he has been very supportive since then, he helps me to trim and measure, though he don't get why I want pictures of my hair or hair toys. I think he's a bit amused about my hair toys, every time I got something with mail he asks if it something for my hair and he thinks all my interest use is about reading about hair stuff (eeh, that's pretty accurate, actually...).

But my hair annoys him when we sleep, he has been very bothered about it, he can't fall a sleep if my hair is touching his face, so when I purchased a satin bonnet for my hair, it was for him, not because I'm obsessed with my hair, lol. Though the bonnet never stays there to the morning, but I think the most important thing is it's there when we fell a sleep.

He has had 'long' hair himself, so long that he kept it in the ponytail. I had never seen pictures of it, but a mutual friend confirmed it's true. Now he keeps his hair saved and that suits him well. And for me too.

TatsuOni
May 30th, 2019, 01:05 AM
He likes my long hair and know how important it is to me, so he's supportive :) I've also gotten him so grow his beard, so he's happy for my knowledge :) I'm also forcing him to measure my hair for me every month :p

Actually, when ever we're out somewhere and someone's curious about my hair, he talks more about it than me :laugh: He shows with his hands how long it is when loose, tell them that I'm still growing it, what I like to do with it and so on, while looking proud and happy :p

Suortuva
May 30th, 2019, 01:52 AM
Actually, when ever we're out somewhere and someone's curious about my hair, he talks more about it than me :laugh: He shows with his hands how long it is when loose, tell them that I'm still growing it, what I like to do with it and so on, while looking proud and happy :p

Ooh, that's soo cute! :love:

Vacurlylady
May 30th, 2019, 02:53 AM
My DH is not a fan of me growing my hair out. Mostly because for most of our 43 years together I have had pixies. I get how he feels about it. For the most part he’s not a fan of change My hair is past SL. It’s only down on my hair wash days to dry. Since I’m finally able to get it up in a simple bun or pony tail, or Flexi-8, I keep it up and out of sight basically. His feelings or snide remarks are not going to change my idea of having long hair. 😂😂.

YvetteVarie
May 30th, 2019, 04:12 AM
My husband loves my hair. He buys me hair products when I need them and takes the length check photos for me. When I want to scare him, I threaten to shave my hair.

Simpscone
May 30th, 2019, 05:30 AM
My boyfriend is massively supportive of my hair-obsession and always has been, but he's not invested in how I wear it.

In our years together I've mostly worn it between collarbone and APL, not through choice but because I've had every colour on the rainbow and every style (curly, wavy, straight, bangs and no bangs) and it just couldn't grow longer than that because of the damage. Even when I did my big chop to chin length he was supportive and said how much he liked it. And when I went back to my natural colour too.

He now helps me to measure each month, listens to me ramble about hair stuff, and is supportive of my wearing it in it's natural state. I think he prefers me blonde and with my hair heat styled, but he never mentions it and would deny it if I brought it up :lol: which is weird because he's always said he prefers brunettes... I think he just sees blonde as my default. Or I'm deflecting my own worries :lol:

I'm super curious to see how he reacts as it gets longer than he's ever seen it :D

Wusel
May 30th, 2019, 06:51 AM
Wow... that's all interesting answers. Thank you guys, really enjoy reading :)

Hellebore
June 3rd, 2019, 10:45 PM
My boyfriend is pretty careful with my hair because I was careful with his hair when he grew it out. In four years he went from a normal guy haircut to TBL, and decided to cut it off because it was way more work than he wanted to put in. Personally, I like long hair on men but he is just stupidly handsome with shorter hair. Anyway, when he cut his hair I inherited his combs, oils, brushes, and plethora of hair ties. He's careful not to touch my hair unnecessarily, and is kind enough to help me measure it even though he thinks it's silly. He's also a leather worker and is currently making me a leather barrette, which is sweet. I don't know that he really cares how long my hair is, but he's supportive so I'm happy.

Wusel
June 3rd, 2019, 11:46 PM
My boyfriend is pretty careful with my hair because I was careful with his hair when he grew it out. In four years he went from a normal guy haircut to TBL, and decided to cut it off because it was way more work than he wanted to put in. Personally, I like long hair on men but he is just stupidly handsome with shorter hair. Anyway, when he cut his hair I inherited his combs, oils, brushes, and plethora of hair ties. He's careful not to touch my hair unnecessarily, and is kind enough to help me measure it even though he thinks it's silly. He's also a leather worker and is currently making me a leather barrette, which is sweet. I don't know that he really cares how long my hair is, but he's supportive so I'm happy.

Aww... that's wonderful! :) :) :) Sounds like you have the perfect partner for your hair :) :) :)

Milkchocolate
June 4th, 2019, 11:45 AM
My s.o loves my hair. I think because he is just a man who can appreciate and see the beauty in the polar opposite of his manliness lol. He knows that “hair wash” day is a big process to me and is able to give my time and space. He also feels for me when I’m like “ughh! It’s hair wash day :(” because he is a first hand witness to my routine lol! And has even helped me wash my hair like dumping water various times on it for me. He is super attracted to it which I love, and always helps me untangle it when it gets caught on things!! He is a trooper that’s for sure :)

Wusel
June 4th, 2019, 11:54 AM
My s.o loves my hair. I think because he is just a man who can appreciate and see the beauty in the polar opposite of his manliness lol. He knows that “hair wash” day is a big process to me and is able to give my time and space. He also feels for me when I’m like “ughh! It’s hair wash day :(” because he is a first hand witness to my routine lol! And has even helped me wash my hair like dumping water various times on it for me. He is super attracted to it which I love, and always helps me untangle it when it gets caught on things!! He is a trooper that’s for sure :)

That's fantastic :) Such a hair-friendly man :)

lunalocks
June 4th, 2019, 01:48 PM
He doesn't say much, wants me to be happy, and takes pics when I ask him to. He really likes my braid, but I don't wear one anymore due to how long it is and the tapir and not wanting to damage the ends. He also likes it down with lots of curls, something I may do twice a year. He does NOT like hairs around the sink or floor. He has, without too much grumbling, replaced the motors is several vacuum cleaners. We have a small shop vac now. Yes, the motor is beginning to go....

lapushka
June 4th, 2019, 02:18 PM

Are you kidding? LOL. :lol: Is your BF like my mom?

My mom gets this way exactly when I ask her to futz over it more than a wash or a trim, but she always helps out!

gardengirl13
June 4th, 2019, 04:17 PM
My husband is pretty cool about it. He prefers long hair so he's happy about me keeping it longer. It does get in the way at times like rolling over in bed I have to grab it and make sure it's out of his way. He also finds my hair on weird spots on his body, wrapped around his toes etc... and he'll grumble about that. But he measures takes photos etc... And like a previous poster I have threatened to shave my head to get at him a couple of times! ha ha!

Wusel
June 4th, 2019, 04:40 PM
my husband is pretty cool about it. He prefers long hair so he's happy about me keeping it longer. It does get in the way at times like rolling over in bed i have to grab it and make sure it's out of his way. He also finds my hair on weird spots on his body, wrapped around his toes etc... And he'll grumble about that. But he measures takes photos etc... And like a previous poster i have threatened to shave my head to get at him a couple of times! Ha ha!

rofl!!!!! :D

milosmomma
June 4th, 2019, 06:35 PM
Dbf loves my hair long. We've known each other since about 12 years old in 5th or 6th grade in school but just started dating at 27 :lol: when we first got together I have my hip length hair and he loved it in a long braid. Then he supported me with my big chop and has been patiently waiting for it to become long again. I am almost back to where it was before my chop and I am thinking about going longer. I am not sure where his limit for liking long hair before it becomes TOO long but I have shown him some very long pics of knee and calf and hes remarked that it's too long and would be too much to handle. He helps me take pictures when I ask and he surprises me with hair toys on occasion so I couldn't ask for a more supportive partner in my growing journey. Lucky to have him with me :)

Cayy
June 4th, 2019, 08:30 PM
My boyfriend loves my long hair; even if I have to use the water 40 minutes longer than he likes once every 8 days(or so) to wash it 😅 He definitely doesn’t enjoy the stranglers that show up in his mouth but anything I’m interested in he takes the time to show respect fo.

MlleMC
June 6th, 2019, 11:15 AM
My husband absolutely loves my long hair. He was devastated (okay, maybe not that much) when I cut it from knee to mid-thigh. My routine is very much benign neglect, and I'm generally pretty good at keeping it out of his way, so for the most part it doesn't affect him.

I do have to remind him however to be careful when he strokes my back with my hair down, because he tends to go up and down...

And he finds it way too funny that I'm on a long hair forum.

TheDebby
June 6th, 2019, 12:07 PM
My fiance started to grow his hair because I asked him.
We van have long hair together!
(He likes it as well)

The first thing he said to me was that he liked my hair, so he likes it long.
But i'm pretty sure he likes me no matter how long my hair would be.

ReadingRenee
June 7th, 2019, 06:15 PM
My husband is a true long hair lover. It was about to his waist when I met him. He has cut it a couple times since then for jobs but he is growing it out again. It's about shoulder length but his goal is waist or as long as it will get. This time around though, he is listening to me about brushing when wet, wearing a scrunchy instead of an elastic hair tie when its wet . He won't stop roughly drying his hair with a towel though.

As for my hair, he loves it long. It makes him sad when I contemplate cutting it but he also loves me and supports me and says he will love me and be wildly attracted to me whatever the length of my hair is. I can talk to him about all my hair stuff, and sometimes he will sneakily buy me hair sticks that I have mentioned that I want. He would and has taken length pictures for me, but I feel pretty self conscious most of the time, so I don't ask him to do that too often. He is very supportive of me and my hair. :)

Zesty
June 7th, 2019, 07:25 PM
Husband is a dream about my hair hobby. When we got together he decided to grow out his own hair and beard, and he accepts my hair advice. He asks me to braid his hair in faux hawk Viking type styles every so often, which is fun.

As far as my own hair goes, he likes long hair and hardly batted an eye when I extended my length goal to knee. He measures for me and takes hair pictures when I ask. He would never trim it because he's too scared of messing it up. :lol: But the bottom line is that he knows it makes me happy and is therefore supportive, even with the more "crazy" parts like the hair treatments and sleep bonnet and conditioner hoarding and so on. :p

CosmoCat
June 7th, 2019, 07:34 PM
My husband is indifferent to hair length. He is less involved when I'm not growing it out (no help w/measuring or henna). So, I'm thankful, he's good with either.

Genne
June 7th, 2019, 07:34 PM
In the past I let a controlling person into my life and he also managed to make me unhappy with my long hair, due to his behavior. However, once I cut it he soon found other things to control over and it was never about the issue but about the control.

I once had a glorious male friend once offer to come over and wash my hair, after a break up, to literally help me "wash that man out of my hair." He was just a friend but, loved long hair and wanted to do something kind for me. he was very gentle and literally gingerly helped me wash "that man out of my hair."

I find that the occasionally 'hair carelessness' is not an intentional bad thing but, if a man is not considerate of hair, or anything about me, then it usually means that they really are not considerate at all.

Mostly the few men I've dated have appreciated long hair or my hair type, (thin and fine.) I've dated enough guys who didn't like it, to know that anyone who doesn't like a feature about me, just isn't going to be happy dating me. I once heard Dr. Henry Cloud say, (and write in his book about boundaries in dating,) that sometimes "its just red hair." Meaning people like what they like and they don't even know why sometimes but, they really just "like what they like." If we aren't what they like then, we don't need to be with them, (unless they have a major change of heart but, it isn't likely.)
Jen
p.s. now that I have red hair, the thought of "its just red hair," has come back to mind!!
p.p.s. by the way, Dr. Henry Cloud has several seminars on youtube for free, one of my ma favorites is, "How to find a date worth keeping."

CosmoCat
June 7th, 2019, 07:37 PM
My ex-husband had mid-back length, but he hated hair in his face...mine or his, lol.

Saunda
June 7th, 2019, 09:22 PM

Seconded, his hair is beautiful!

My BF likes my hair, his main complaint is that it gets everywhere.

ExpectoPatronum
June 7th, 2019, 09:35 PM
My SO doesn't care what I do with my hair. I could cut if all off and she'd support it. Likewise, I support whatever she wants to do to her hair as well.

Undomiel
June 7th, 2019, 10:09 PM
My husband loves my long hair and is supportive of me growing it as long as I can go. After 7 years he has learned to watch out for it when we cuddle if it's down but I think at first it used to annoy him a little lol

Simsy
June 8th, 2019, 02:02 AM
My hubby is happy if I’m happy. It’s sounds really cliched but it’s true. He doesn’t care one way or the other with my hair, as long as I’m happy. That being said, he has developed a sleep reflex where if I’m wearing a braid to bed, he moves my braid back up onto the pillows and out of the way when he rolls over at night. That says it all as far as I’m concerned.

MidnightMoon
June 8th, 2019, 02:24 AM
I could swear there was already a thread about this... but anyways... my husband is indifferent. He does ask me to wear it a certain way sometimes because he thinks it looks pretty on me (sides pulled back, like a half up but not really up, just behind). But he doesn't damage it or anything, actually.
May I ask what is the importance of long hair for Oktoberfest? I have never been to Bayern and to me it just seemed like a fest for young people to get drunk. Granted, maybe it's because it's not the real deal, but all variants here are just that. Not to count I don't want to be surrounded by women showing off their "assets" and men drinking to top it off...
Do people wear their hair loose there? Is it a very important event? How is it in reality, like a family thing? I'm just curious.

Simsy
June 8th, 2019, 02:50 AM
I could swear there was already a thread about this... but anyways... my husband is indifferent. He does ask me to wear it a certain way sometimes because he thinks it looks pretty on me (sides pulled back, like a half up but not really up, just behind). But he doesn't damage it or anything, actually.
May I ask what is the importance of long hair for Oktoberfest? I have never been to Bayern and to me it just seemed like a fest for young people to get drunk. Granted, maybe it's because it's not the real deal, but all variants here are just that. Not to count I don't want to be surrounded by women showing off their "assets" and men drinking to top it off...
Do people wear their hair loose there? Is it a very important event? How is it in reality, like a family thing? I'm just curious.

It’s a German(?) beer festival so drinking is kinda the point. The outfits worn by the women are traditional cultural costumes and it’s becomes a showcase of traditional arts and crafts including alcohol brewing. Long hair is more due to cultural reasons, similar to the style of dress worn by participants. With regards to the assets; traditional costumes don’t usually account for boobs larger than a D cup unless you get one custom-made for your size. It’s just the way of things.

If you wanted to take children, maybe go earlier when the patrons haven’t had time to get rowdy. That being said, my hometown does a version called Boulderfest; and it is a family festival. The craft brewery does a stall and a a lot of street performers come out. Council puts on a bit of a street party and it’s a really good day out.

Wusel
June 8th, 2019, 02:56 AM

So, as far as I have researched, all women wear Dirndl dresses and most of them have some kind of braided-updo hairstyles (milkmaid braids) or long braids or french braids. It's not that you HAVE to appear there with a braid, of course, but it looks the prettiest with a dirndl. That's why I would love to have my hair as long as possible by then to wear it in a braid. Because my braid now is the opposite of impressive.
And, yes, there is a lot of drinking, people get drunk like crazy... I don't like that because I have a lot of socila anxiety but since I have never been to Oktoberfest I would like to make this experience and just try... I don't think I will be the happiest person afterwards, I'm sure I'll be very exhausted because it's so tiring for me to be among masses of people but, still, I want to try.

MidnightMoon
June 8th, 2019, 06:20 AM
It’s a German(?) beer festival so drinking is kinda the point. The outfits worn by the women are traditional cultural costumes and it’s becomes a showcase of traditional arts and crafts including alcohol brewing. Long hair is more due to cultural reasons, similar to the style of dress worn by participants. With regards to the assets; traditional costumes don’t usually account for boobs larger than a D cup unless you get one custom-made for your size. It’s just the way of things.

If you wanted to take children, maybe go earlier when the patrons haven’t had time to get rowdy. That being said, my hometown does a version called Boulderfest; and it is a family festival. The craft brewery does a stall and a a lot of street performers come out. Council puts on a bit of a street party and it’s a really good day out.

I know about the dress and all, but I just meant I wouldn't feel very comfortable in what seems to be the atmosphere, but I'm asking because maybe it's not at all like I imagine it. I'm in Germany but waaay far from Bayern, and they did their own version near and I just didn't want to go because I'm so insecure and being surrounded by young ladies dressed like that... not my thing, let alone with my SO. And the size doesn't matter... C or D are already "enough" to be better for society. I guess it sounds crazy and I'm probably making a picture in my mind that's totally inaccurate...

So, as far as I have researched, all women wear Dirndl dresses and most of them have some kind of braided-updo hairstyles (milkmaid braids) or long braids or french braids. It's not that you HAVE to appear there with a braid, of course, but it looks the prettiest with a dirndl. That's why I would love to have my hair as long as possible by then to wear it in a braid. Because my braid now is the opposite of impressive.
And, yes, there is a lot of drinking, people get drunk like crazy... I don't like that because I have a lot of socila anxiety but since I have never been to Oktoberfest I would like to make this experience and just try... I don't think I will be the happiest person afterwards, I'm sure I'll be very exhausted because it's so tiring for me to be among masses of people but, still, I want to try.

I think I get anxious in crowds as well if people are too close together or I'm feeling insecure. I didn't back in Barcelona but now that I'm here and struggle with the language, don't know the area so well and everything... I googled for photos but didn't seem to find a pattern in what people were doing with their hair. I imagined a braided updo would be the "right thing". It's funny that my husband actually said I would look cute in a dirndl. I have seen some really cute ones. Have you picked a colour already? I always think a darker red looks best with dark features. At least on me, pale pink or blue look bad, but I guess the white shirt around the shoulders can help and any colour looks good...
If you think you will get uncomfortable them maybe start drinking from home so by the time you're there you're drunk enough not to notice :lol:, it's what I would do.