PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning hairtoys?

Spinder
May 28th, 2019, 09:20 PM
I had a wee bit of a mishap and one of my wooden sticks fell into a cup of apple juice :( I cleaned it with a soft wet cloth, dampened with a bit of water - could that cause any harm? How do you usually clean your hairtoys if they get dirty, dusty, covered with too much dandruff/scalp oil, etc?

neko_kawaii
May 28th, 2019, 09:36 PM
Every now and then I’ll rub oil on all my unfinished wooden toys. They all have oil finish, but reapplying it keeps the wood from drying out over time. I use some mineral oil from the little bottle I have on my vanity for hair use, apply it, leave everything to sit for a few minutes and then wipe it all down with a clean cloth or tissue to remove excess oil. I also keep a piece of 000 steel wool near my vanity for those occasions where the grain rises from sweat.

For unfinished wood, oil is best for cleaning, but probably wouldn’t remove the stickiness left by juice! I’m sure your stick will be fine. It might feel a little rough from moisture raising the grain. If you don’t have a fine grit sandpaper (nail polishing file will work) or steel wool, you may be able to smooth it with the back of a spoon, I’ve done that before.

Reyn127
May 29th, 2019, 11:51 PM
A few of my hair toys have gotten a good rinse with warm water after getting dirty. I let it dry thoroughly, and most of the time add a tiny amount of oil afterwards.

lapushka
May 30th, 2019, 06:03 AM
Rubbing a bit of oil over it (buffing it) should get it right back up in shape. Not too much, you don't have to drench it. :)

Tinyponies
June 10th, 2019, 03:50 AM
What oils are best for hairtoys? I need to restore the finish which has vanished from my furnival stick after getting it damp.

ETA problem solved, I’m going to use olive oil.