PDA

View Full Version : Coronet vs crown braids, and tips for securing?

akurah
May 27th, 2019, 01:43 PM
My hair is finally long enough to do a coronet braid, and I'm thinking of switching to that for my daily style, but my searching about it seems to say that they're prone to sliding around and being annoying in general. I find French braiding and Dutch braiding annoying though, which means that doing a more secure crown braid will likely annoy me almost as much.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? The one thing that did come to mind is instead of doing one braid, do two French or Dutch braids, starting perhaps at my temples, then after wrapping, secure the loose braid bumps to the french/Dutch bumps, a sort of "meeting in the middle" style.

gossamer
May 27th, 2019, 02:00 PM
I made a video about this a few months ago when I got a lot of questions about how I managed to make a coronet braid one of my daily go-to styles.

I hope this helps!

https://youtu.be/V0Ri63xh_Vg

Cg
May 27th, 2019, 02:29 PM
I don't find my crown/coronet braids sliding around at all, and my hair is quite possibly the slickest among everyone's on this forum. If you anchor the braid securely (I use 7-8 small claw clips), it won't slip unduly. Several folks here have tied the braid with ribbon or other materials.

cjk
May 27th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Since you mentioned a faux crown, I do two braided pigtails each terminated with a clear silicone. Then I use my Topsy tail to pull the ends into the braids.

But I have nowhere near your length. To secure anything extra I would use a few bobby pins.

Mine doesn't move around at all.

AmaryllisRed
May 27th, 2019, 02:34 PM
I like doing milkmaid braids starting with two Dutch braids. It feels very secure.
Today I'm wearing milkmaid braids held only by bobby pins (maybe 12 of them) and I even lay down in them and they held up.
My hair is very slippery, too.
I would expect the same from a coronet braid but I'm not quite long enough yet.
I do love a Dutch crown braid but I get it if that's not your thing.

Entangled
May 27th, 2019, 04:58 PM
I’ve found Amish pins to be far more effective than Bobby pins now that I’ve started using them. I like to use them for milkmaid braids, too (though I just wrap the braids around my whole head rather than going up and over.)

Kat
May 27th, 2019, 06:23 PM
What is a coronet braid? I would have thought it's the same as a crown braid...

akurah
May 27th, 2019, 06:53 PM

Crown braid is a French or Dutch braid around your crown, with excess braided length pinned alongside the crown braid.

A coronet braid is a basic braid wrapped about your head. It resembles a crown braid.

HaMalka
May 27th, 2019, 08:06 PM
I use excessive amounts of u-pins or hair taping to hold my coronet braids. I have never successfully managed a crown braid.

Simsy
May 27th, 2019, 08:19 PM
I used to do 2 Dutch braids, one down each side. Then wrap the ends around my head, setting each braid on the outside of the Dutch braids. Either pin to the braid; I use bobby pins; or sew down with ribbon. Either way, everything is secured to the Dutch braids which hold them securely in place.

Ligeia Noire
May 27th, 2019, 08:33 PM
I cannot dutch or french braid around my head so my crown braid is just what you guys call a coronet, I still call it crown because it is a crown ah ah, anyway, could never ever secure it with anything but ribbon, I tape mine down and it stays put and it does not pull... pins or claws do not hold and I would need way too many. So sewing it down is my only way to secure it. I actually prefer the look of it like that. I do not do it much though because I have way too many wispies and the braid shred starts after a couple of hours, it is one of my favourite looks though.

akurah
May 27th, 2019, 10:23 PM
I made a video about this a few months ago when I got a lot of questions about how I managed to make a coronet braid one of my daily go-to styles.

I hope this helps!

This is crazy helpful, thank you. I'm going to try this tomorrow, the way you secure it looks stable and our wave-factor is about the same. I'm a foot or two shy of hair but I don't think that will make a significant difference in this case

Cg
May 28th, 2019, 11:05 AM

In real life it is. Coronet is a synonym for crown.

On this forum, people often call the original medieval style (English braid wrapped around the crown -- and you need at least classic length for this) a coronet. The modern knock-off which can be done with much shorter hair, is lace-braiding around the crown, called here a crown. Though the resulting appearances are somewhat similar, the formation of the two is quite different.

gossamer
May 28th, 2019, 11:18 AM
In real life it is. Coronet is a synonym for crown.

On this forum, people often call the original medieval style (English braid wrapped around the crown -- and you need at least classic length for this) a coronet. The modern knock-off which can be done with much shorter hair, is lace-braiding around the crown, called here a crown. Though the resulting appearances are somewhat similar, the formation of the two is quite different.

I've also seen the English braid pinned around called a "faux crown braid" since it's not actually lace braided around the scalp the way a crown braid is.

neko_kawaii
May 28th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Where ever my braid is thick enough I secure it with spin pins, after that bobby pins. I find that alternating the direction of the pins helps with the hold. My hair is long enough to go more than once around, but I find pinning the second wrap and hiding the elastic and tail to be tedious and never fully effective, so after one go round, I pin the remaining length in a little bun of its own.

Proverbs31
May 28th, 2019, 11:36 AM
I have had trouble with crown/coronet braids slipping (mainly coronet), so I like to bobby-pin them down the center of the braid. This helps to secure them and hide the pins at the same, time, so win-win :o

AmaryllisRed
May 28th, 2019, 11:58 AM
I have had trouble with crown/coronet braids slipping (mainly coronet), so I like to bobby-pin them down the center of the braid. This helps to secure them and hide the pins at the same, time, so win-win :o

Yes, I bobby pin down the center of the braid, too. Then I look down and up and pin anywhere it slips.

Cg
May 28th, 2019, 12:20 PM
I've also seen the English braid pinned around called a "faux crown braid" since it's not actually lace braided around the scalp the way a crown braid is.

I guess it depends on one's identification of "real" versus "faux." I call "real" the original, used at least since medieval times, a simple long english braid wrapped or tied around the crown. I call "faux" the modern lace braided version, invented because it gives shorter-haired modern women rather the look but doesn't require nearly the length needed in the centuries-old style.

I'm impressed that you have the patience to braid so much length. I doff my caul to you.

gossamer
May 28th, 2019, 12:21 PM
I guess it depends on one's identification of "real" versus "faux." I call "real" the original, used at least since medieval times, a simple long english braid wrapped or tied around the crown. I call "faux" the modern lace braided version, invented because it gives shorter-haired modern women rather the look but doesn't require nearly the length needed in the centuries-old style.

I'm impressed that you have the patience to braid so much length. I doff my caul to you.

I'm curious, how long do you think it takes me to do a simple English braid? Because it's really not that time consuming, I think.

Estrid
May 28th, 2019, 12:23 PM
I once saw a video with someone using thread and "sewing" it to the scalp hair, and I think that is the method I will use once my hair is long enough to wrap a braid around my head (many years in the future). It looks prettier than pinning it down and it also looks like it would be more comfortable.

Cg
May 28th, 2019, 12:26 PM
I'm curious, how long do you think it takes me to do a simple English braid? Because it's really not that time consuming, I think.

I don't know, but mine at not even approaching knee takes a good bit of patience so I rarely do it. Yours is of course MUCH longer.

embee
May 28th, 2019, 04:30 PM
I love the coronet braid. My hair is long enough, but the braid is so thin/flat/straight that spinpins are too big by far. I have some plastic old fashioned hairpins (they look like tortoise shell) and I use them, but the braid is really held in place with a barrette at the end where it meets the beginning.

The leftover wispy tail end gets bobbypinned into a sort of pincurl - it's not big enough for anything else.

squirrrel
December 6th, 2020, 02:20 AM

I hope this helps!

I searched through the coronet threads to see the different types of clips people use to secure their coronets. I have enough hair to go round fully once: I look forward to having long enough hair to go round more than once and possibly secure the braid to itself. Looks fab like that.

MadelineMomo
January 17th, 2022, 04:26 PM

I hope this helps!

I've tried this the other day. Same use of spiral pins, although only 1 loop of braid because that's my length.

It worked for a time, but—because the hair over my scalp is smooth and unbraided—over the course of a few hours, the pins (and the braids attached to them) slide down the strands hair, until it's near the back of my head and the loop of braid is folding out of shape.

Shorty89
January 17th, 2022, 10:02 PM
I do a variation on a coronet/crown braid. I do it more like heidi-braids. I do two French braids (sometimes lace) and then wrap them around opposite directions. The French braided part gives my bobby pins something to grip on to. I also use long bobby pins not the short little ones.

Chromis
January 17th, 2022, 10:14 PM
I use tiny claw clips in front and a couple of bobby pins at the back or sides as needed. I always mean to try hair taping, but that seems more fiddly to me...and would require me to find some ribbon. I quite miss that style because it is my very favourite, but my hair now makes two and a half turns, which ends it in an awkward spot. I've not had luck in getting the bottom to make a nice looking bun if I try leaving it out so I can just do a single wrap. Everything just slides around while I am fumbling away.

knobbly
January 18th, 2022, 05:38 AM
One of my goals this year is to learn a hairstyle that can stay out for 24+ hours without being a mess when taken down. Some kind of hair taping situation is the first thing I’m going to try!

Since I don’t have the length for a coronet, I’ve been thinking of trying a single Dutch crown braid starting with a side part. I have tried a few times to crown braid but everything gets jumbled in my brain going around corners, so it’s never ended well. What the hell though, I have a whole year!

BexLocks
January 20th, 2022, 07:51 AM
Successfully doing a crown braid is one of my goals for this year, too. I do a coronet fairly often and really like it. The directional change in lace braiding fumbles me up and I don't quite have the hang of it yet. Good luck to both of us!

neko_kawaii
January 20th, 2022, 08:08 AM
I use tiny claw clips in front and a couple of bobby pins at the back or sides as needed. I always mean to try hair taping, but that seems more fiddly to me...and would require me to find some ribbon. I quite miss that style because it is my very favourite, but my hair now makes two and a half turns, which ends it in an awkward spot. I've not had luck in getting the bottom to make a nice looking bun if I try leaving it out so I can just do a single wrap. Everything just slides around while I am fumbling away.

Have you tried pinning the first loop in place as you go? You can always readjust it after the bun is secured.

Chromis
January 20th, 2022, 10:11 AM
Have you tried pinning the first loop in place as you go? You can always readjust it after the bun is secured.

Yup, that's how I have been doing it!

MoggieKat
February 8th, 2022, 05:24 PM

I hope this helps!

I'm going to give this a try as soon as I can get some spin pins. This makes a lot mores sense then what I have been doing. Thanks for the video!

MadelineMomo
March 31st, 2022, 11:14 PM
The one where you take an English braid and pin it around your head never worked for me, because it always slipped down.

But I've just figured out how to do a dutch-braid version! And it's amazing! It's my new favorite updo! I've worn it nearly every day since figuring it out like a month ago. It's better than a bun because it fits under a hat. It's better than hanging braids because there's almost no braid shredding. It can last for 2 or 3 days. It spreads the weight out evenly. My mom says it suits my face, and my broad forehead.

It is just the best hairdo in every way.

https://i.ibb.co/r7PRjfN/circlet-braid.jpg

https://ibb.co/jGQ16V8
I secure it with 2 spiral pins, one over each ear. That keep the coiled up tail of the braid in place. Just take them out to sleep in, and then put them back in the morning. Or you can take a ribbon or scarf and wrap it around to keep the coiled up tail in place. That one can be slept in better too.

shelomit
April 1st, 2022, 05:26 AM
That's super-pretty, Madeline! Where do you start the braid?

MadelineMomo
April 1st, 2022, 08:04 AM
That's super-pretty, Madeline! Where do you start the braid?

Start by one ear, then go around the back, and braid the forehead last. It's best if the forehead has the thickness of the braid, and the anchoring factor of adding new hair in.

AmaryllisRed
April 1st, 2022, 11:16 AM
Start by one ear, then go around the back, and braid the forehead last. It's best if the forehead has the thickness of the braid, and the anchoring factor of adding new hair in.

It turned out really beautiful!
Do you section off the forehead part and clip it out of the way before you start braiding?

knobbly
April 2nd, 2022, 02:55 PM
Yes, MadelineMomo! Love!

I've also recently been playing with this and have similar reports. I just ordered a summer hat a size larger than usual with the intention of wearing this style a lot! The "still looking fine after a few days" thing is so convenient.

I do a deep side part beginning to braid across the forehead (idk if that makes sense.)

ashke50
April 10th, 2022, 10:37 AM
I do a coronet braid every day now. I hold it with a ribbon and one spin pin. I wrap my hair round once and put the spin pin in to hold the plait to the base, and then wrap the rest around, tuck it in, and use a darning needle to sew the plaits in place with a ribbon. I find it really comfortable, easy to do, I enjoy being able to colour coordinate my ribbons to my clothes, and I get compliments on it when I am out and about.
The only downside is if I lie on my back then it slips backwards and I have to take it down and put it back up again, so I can only nap in it if I lie on my side.
I've not managed to do a "proper" brown braid, starting with the dutch braid, but I imagine it would solve the slipping backwards problem.

alewyn
April 15th, 2022, 08:11 AM
I tried a crown braid for the first time today. It turned out quite messy, but in a sort of wearable way? After taking these pics I did some tweaking to the back so that the weird little partings aren't as obvious, and now I'm actually pretty content.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46981&d=1650031660

But omg, this is pretty much the most comfy style I've ever worn. I will definitely need to practice it, but I want to wear it more often for sure. I think it'll be a closer-to-wash-day one for me though, just because my roots tend not to like laying smooth after about the week and a half post-wash mark, so styles like this tend to end up crazy in the back.

Pouncequick
April 25th, 2022, 12:05 PM
I've been fooling around with coronet braids and I managed to get a 100% pinless style to be secure through one half day of exercise, chores and work so far which is quite a bit for my slick hair. It looks a little silly because I didn't quite braid it right, but it's more secure than I expected. This one requires two braids instead of one and I used three extra long ribbons braided into each half paranda style to secure the braids and then tie them to my head. Apparently the trick to making it more secure is to pull them further forward and make sure they're wrapped quite tightly before tying them off.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47020&d=1650907467
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47021&d=1650907483
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47022&d=1650907499

I also taped a coronet yesterday with a pretty, narrow ribbon and found that it took about the same amount of time as pinning it "normally" and I found it comfier. For pins I like the good grips magic pins and spin pins better than bobby pins, but they're all too large for the half of my hair that isn't very thick so I use some Amish pins there. The only issue with the pinning to death method for me is I find pins kind of itchy and irritating so I take my hair down much earlier than if I tape it. Pins are definitely more "subtle" though. No method survives more than about 12-16 hours for me because my hair shreds and escapes everything eventually.

JuniperTree
April 26th, 2022, 06:23 AM
I used to use spin clips to hold my braids in place. I only needed three or four of them and it would stay in place for a 12 hour shift, no pain, pulling or slipping at all!

Kat
April 26th, 2022, 06:42 AM
For pins I like the good grips magic pins and spin pins better than bobby pins, but they're all too large for the half of my hair that isn't very thick so I use some Amish pins there.

When I put up Heidi braids*, I deal with the ends by tucking them under the larger braids as well as I can and then pinning the edges. I don't know of any pins that would hold the thin ends of my hair effectively (except maybe bobby pins, and... no).

*I'm really not into the monikers "Heidi" or "milkmaid" braids, but I'm not sure what else to call them. Could the same style with two braids instead of one still fall into the "coronet braid" category?

Chromis
April 26th, 2022, 08:38 AM
When I put up Heidi braids*, I deal with the ends by tucking them under the larger braids as well as I can and then pinning the edges. I don't know of any pins that would hold the thin ends of my hair effectively (except maybe bobby pins, and... no).

*I'm really not into the monikers "Heidi" or "milkmaid" braids, but I'm not sure what else to call them. Could the same style with two braids instead of one still fall into the "coronet braid" category?

To me, the milkmaid braid is a different style. It is just the two braids crossed on top, not going fully around in a circle.

Kat
April 26th, 2022, 07:24 PM
To me, the milkmaid braid is a different style. It is just the two braids crossed on top, not going fully around in a circle.

Oh, for me it is-- I cross them at the back before they go over the top, and then tuck the ends in when they get back around to the back (if I didn't cross them first, the ends would be way too long and it would be awkward trying to get them out of the way. Also, I don't like the look when the back of my head doesn't have braids but the rest does).

Pouncequick
April 27th, 2022, 12:43 PM

It probably depends. For me "milkmaid braids", "Heidi braids", and "coronet" braids look almost identical. Hair wraps around head in a full circle and the only difference is I find the two braid version is slightly more secure than the one braid version and it has a bit more of an symmetric look. I usually cross in the back first, but I braided it wrong for that example and the braids just would not lie down correctly or stay put. Since it took about an eternity to braid ribbons that are more than twice as long as I am into my hair I just went with it. If you want I'll do a redo where I show a few versions of all of the ways I make braid wreaths on my head and get them to stay put that aren't messed up from the start.

For a coronet (single English braid wrapped around the head with no Dutch braiding) I usually have the best luck with taping it. My hair tapers around waist length so the hair on the other side can't be easily pinned without the pins being twice the size of my braid. Sometimes I leave a little bit of hair from the region near my bangs and add that in to thicken up the second half of the wrap and secure it a bit better but that involves wrapping as I braid so it's a bit more like a crown braid.

Kat
April 28th, 2022, 07:15 PM
I can't imagine getting a one-braid version to stay... I think I've tried it before and it just slips. The two-braid version holds up to dance and running, quite securely.

I actually find the one-braid version more assymetrical-- my braid is fat on one side of my head and thinner on the other side and on me it's sort of an odd look. Two braids have a thicker and thinner section on each side.

baanoo
April 29th, 2022, 05:24 AM
I love the look of a beautiful single-braid coronet but I don’t have enough length to make up for the taper so I, too, do two English braids - crossed first at the back. I’m wearing my hair this way today, actually; I have a few Bobby pins holding the tails in place and two U pins holding the front.

embee
April 29th, 2022, 06:49 AM
Alas, I no longer have the length or thickness to do a coronet. It was always a challenge to secure the braid. As said above, spinpins were too big for the thinness of the braid except at the start where I didn't need anything, and bobby pins were annoying, Amish pins tended to slip out, and I never could really get taping to work well, I'm too clumsy? Nowadays I'd have to do two little skinny braids and wrap them over the front, but the fairytale ends would be a great challenge to tuck in --- where?

Pouncequick
April 29th, 2022, 02:24 PM
I can't imagine getting a one-braid version to stay... I think I've tried it before and it just slips. The two-braid version holds up to dance and running, quite securely.

I actually find the one-braid version more assymetrical-- my braid is fat on one side of my head and thinner on the other side and on me it's sort of an odd look. Two braids have a thicker and thinner section on each side.

I think it is supposed to be easier to get the one braid version to be stable from mid thigh to knee length. I'm only a bit past classic so I can just get the braid around my head and tucked in nicely. I have the same asymmetric problem but as my hair gets longer it's getting less obvious from the front of my head.

Kat
April 29th, 2022, 07:04 PM
I think it is supposed to be easier to get the one braid version to be stable from mid thigh to knee length. I'm only a bit past classic so I can just get the braid around my head and tucked in nicely. I have the same asymmetric problem but as my hair gets longer it's getting less obvious from the front of my head.

My problem is that one braid is simply too heavy... splitting the weight into two is much more stable, both for this style and also for buns when I'm doing anything even remotely active and absolutely have to have a bun for some reason (vortex bun with two braids).

MadelineMomo
May 6th, 2022, 08:46 PM
It is just the best hairdo in every way.

https://i.ibb.co/r7PRjfN/circlet-braid.jpg

https://ibb.co/jGQ16V8

More reasons this hairdo is great: so I low-key broke my elbow (fractured, but not that badly) on Wednesday night. It's Friday night now, and I just now was able to redo my hair. So I had to keep my hairdo, as it was at the time of the accident, for like 2 days.

Hair scars and bandanas have always worked poorly for me. I think I just have an inconveniently shaped skull or something, but they always slide off.

But with the coronet braid, there's a ridge of hair all around the edge near my hairline! It provides something for the scarf to hold onto! Today I wore a hair scarf all day (and a silk one at that, extra slippery) to cover my frizzy hair, and it didn't fall off once!

squirrrel
May 7th, 2022, 01:02 AM
More reasons this hairdo is great: so I low-key broke my elbow (fractured, but not that badly) on Wednesday night. It's Friday night now, and I just now was able to redo my hair. So I had to keep my hairdo, as it was at the time of the accident, for like 2 days.

Hair scars and bandanas have always worked poorly for me. I think I just have an inconveniently shaped skull or something, but they always slide off.

But with the coronet braid, there's a ridge of hair all around the edge near my hairline! It provides something for the scarf to hold onto! Today I wore a hair scarf all day (and a silk one at that, extra slippery) to cover my frizzy hair, and it didn't fall off once!

Sorry to hear about the elbow, I hope it heals up soon. It is good hearing that the braid makes the headscarf stay thoroughly. Excellent.

Kat
May 7th, 2022, 10:37 AM

Oh, yours comes out so pretty! Mine comes out not so tidy-looking in the back. Plus my hair itself (like, my scalp hair) always looks weird (I just choose to never look at the back of my head, because it's going to look odd, and I'd rather not know). But, I think I also put my braids closer to the hairline at top... I think they would fall off the back of my head if I tried to put them too much farther back.

MadelineMomo
May 8th, 2022, 11:48 PM
Oh, yours comes out so pretty! Mine comes out not so tidy-looking in the back. Plus my hair itself (like, my scalp hair) always looks weird (I just choose to never look at the back of my head, because it's going to look odd, and I'd rather not know).

My trick is to tilt my head as I go, so that any any time, your hair is hanging in the direction you want it to go. When you're braiding the left side, tilt your head left. The right side, tilt your head right. The front, tilt your head forward. Gravity helps line up the hair the way it should be then.

Beyond that, just practice. I've been doing this most days for a few months now.

But, I think I also put my braids closer to the hairline at top... I think they would fall off the back of my head if I tried to put them too much farther back.

I originally braid it there, but it pulls back a little bit over the day.

alewyn
June 23rd, 2022, 06:45 AM
Question I'll pose in this thread, since I don't feel like digging for a milkmaid/heidi braids thread and it applies to coronet braids, too:

When I wear milkmaid braids, I usually braid ribbon into them and then tie the ends of the ribbon behind my head to secure them, that way the style is pinless and a lot more secure. I had always thought that when my head would itch while wearing milkmaid braids, it was because of all the u-pins I was using to secure them, but now, I don't use pins, and the braids are still kind of itchy (though not as bad). I've theorized that the source of the itch is actually the little hairs poking out of each braid and into my scalp in the "wrong direction", if that makes sense. Has anyone else experienced this? I've played around with the tightness of the braids to my head, and that doesn't change the itchiness. I know it's the braids and not another scalp issue because the itch is only where the braids are and goes away as soon as I take them down.

SeppV
June 23rd, 2022, 12:07 PM
Question I'll pose in this thread, since I don't feel like digging for a milkmaid/heidi braids thread and it applies to coronet braids, too:

When I wear milkmaid braids, I usually braid ribbon into them and then tie the ends of the ribbon behind my head to secure them, that way the style is pinless and a lot more secure. I had always thought that when my head would itch while wearing milkmaid braids, it was because of all the u-pins I was using to secure them, but now, I don't use pins, and the braids are still kind of itchy (though not as bad). I've theorized that the source of the itch is actually the little hairs poking out of each braid and into my scalp in the "wrong direction", if that makes sense. Has anyone else experienced this? I've played around with the tightness of the braids to my head, and that doesn't change the itchiness. I know it's the braids and not another scalp issue because the itch is only where the braids are and goes away as soon as I take them down.

Milkmaid braids (crossed in the back to make it look like a full circle braid) makes my head itch too... at the nape of my neck especially (that's the problem area of my scalp). Other styles not as much... I thought it might be because it gets a bit warm and crowded under the braids...? I only use pins on the top of my head to secure. I don't need any securing in the back and no elastics either actually (I secure the initial braids while in the making, and remove the scrunchie once I pull the braid over my head and pin it down). I only use around four pins and it stays put all day, even laying down, doing chores, tending to the children. Mine are not tight where I start itching, so it only has to do with the braids being there and perhaps making things a bit to warm or something...

alewyn
June 23rd, 2022, 12:48 PM
Milkmaid braids (crossed in the back to make it look like a full circle braid) makes my head itch too... at the nape of my neck especially (that's the problem area of my scalp). Other styles not as much... I thought it might be because it gets a bit warm and crowded under the braids...? I only use pins on the top of my head to secure. I don't need any securing in the back and no elastics either actually (I secure the initial braids while in the making, and remove the scrunchie once I pull the braid over my head and pin it down). I only use around four pins and it stays put all day, even laying down, doing chores, tending to the children. Mine are not tight where I start itching, so it only has to do with the braids being there and perhaps making things a bit to warm or something...

Warmth might have something to do with it. I don't notice itchiness when I do a crown braid, though, which distributes roughly the same amount of hair to the same areas. Those tend to end up looser on me, though, so maybe that plays a role.

I've realized that the perfect comparison for the type of itch I'm talking about is that one wool sweater you hated wearing as a kid, but your parents would always make you because it was your dressy sweater or whatever :p it feels fine most the of the time, but then suddenly, you'll move the wrong way and the hairs "poke" you and it's super itchy!

neko_kawaii
June 23rd, 2022, 02:02 PM
I know what you mean about small hairs sticking out of things being itchy. It might be possible to test that theory by putting gel in your braids to prevent the hairs from escaping (as much).

Kat
June 23rd, 2022, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I've had that (I can get some great braid shred, but even "perfect" braids for me tend to have little bits poking out).

SeppV
June 23rd, 2022, 11:59 PM
Warmth might have something to do with it. I don't notice itchiness when I do a crown braid, though, which distributes roughly the same amount of hair to the same areas. Those tend to end up looser on me, though, so maybe that plays a role.

I've realized that the perfect comparison for the type of itch I'm talking about is that one wool sweater you hated wearing as a kid, but your parents would always make you because it was your dressy sweater or whatever :p it feels fine most the of the time, but then suddenly, you'll move the wrong way and the hairs "poke" you and it's super itchy!

Haha, yes, I know that feeling. It's not fun. But I just never had it with my hair since it's so soft, I guess it depends on what hairtype you have. Hope you figure out a solution! I think milkmaid braids, crossed at the back, are great. They feel very secure, don't require elastics and are quite protective (plus they don't strain my head like buns can do for me...).

alewyn
June 24th, 2022, 09:11 AM
I know what you mean about small hairs sticking out of things being itchy. It might be possible to test that theory by putting gel in your braids to prevent the hairs from escaping (as much).

I might have to get my hands on a little gel and try that. I have noticed that oiling the braids seems to help a little bit!

Yeah, I've had that (I can get some great braid shred, but even "perfect" braids for me tend to have little bits poking out).

Same here. I have a fair bit of taper, so there's a pretty even distribution of hairs poking out throughout the length of my braids, even right when I braid them.

Haha, yes, I know that feeling. It's not fun. But I just never had it with my hair since it's so soft, I guess it depends on what hairtype you have. Hope you figure out a solution! I think milkmaid braids, crossed at the back, are great. They feel very secure, don't require elastics and are quite protective (plus they don't strain my head like buns can do for me...).

Texture definitely does play a role. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a few C strands because of this problem (and noticing a few wirier sheds lately), but that would be a little crazy, because then I'd have a mix of all three textures :p and I agree, it is such a convenient and comfy style. I'm determined to find a solution!

alewyn
July 8th, 2022, 04:36 PM
Update--I seem to have found one thing that makes this type of braid not itch: hair taping. My currently hypothesis is that the slight shifting of the braids on my head would cause the few coarse hairs I have to suddenly poke my scalp, resulting in the itch. The taped braids shift very little, if it all, so there isn't much opportunity to get poked.

Granted, this is the first day I've worn my braids taped, so I'll have to try it a few more times to be able to confirm that this is what is making the difference!

knobbly
July 19th, 2022, 02:39 PM
This is an appreciation post for a crown braid a la Pretty Shepherd (https://youtu.be/oSqkgWs9pfI)! I’ll also include a link to a video by our own Gossamer (https://youtu.be/V0Ri63xh_Vg) because her tips helped me secure it with spin pins.

Anyway it’s the best hairstyle ever for CL and longer lengths (I am just past classic so that’s my only experience but I trust the folks who made the above videos haha) for many reasons including!

Easy to secure
Great for keeping whispy bits contained and not in your face
Contains its own little pocket for hiding one’s braid tassel
Pretty great speed-to-security ratio (by which I mean it’s not the quickest updo ever but it will stay in very well for the extra few minutes of time it takes to do)

I am especially loving it these days for item two on the above list, as my postpartum regrowth kinda looks like I’m wearing a Dorothy Hamill shag wig underneath my regular hair :lol: :lol: and I get these random 3-4” long chunks hanging out by the end of the day if I wear any kind of bun, which isn’t super cute tbh. This is a well balanced and scalp friendly hairstyle that looks just as cute when it’s a bit frizzy at the end of the day as it does when freshly made.

If your hair is long enough and you haven’t tried it, why not????