PDA

View Full Version : Coronet vs crown braids, and tips for securing?

akurah
May 27th, 2019, 01:43 PM
My hair is finally long enough to do a coronet braid, and I'm thinking of switching to that for my daily style, but my searching about it seems to say that they're prone to sliding around and being annoying in general. I find French braiding and Dutch braiding annoying though, which means that doing a more secure crown braid will likely annoy me almost as much.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? The one thing that did come to mind is instead of doing one braid, do two French or Dutch braids, starting perhaps at my temples, then after wrapping, secure the loose braid bumps to the french/Dutch bumps, a sort of "meeting in the middle" style.

gossamer
May 27th, 2019, 02:00 PM
I made a video about this a few months ago when I got a lot of questions about how I managed to make a coronet braid one of my daily go-to styles.

I hope this helps!

https://youtu.be/V0Ri63xh_Vg

Cg
May 27th, 2019, 02:29 PM
I don't find my crown/coronet braids sliding around at all, and my hair is quite possibly the slickest among everyone's on this forum. If you anchor the braid securely (I use 7-8 small claw clips), it won't slip unduly. Several folks here have tied the braid with ribbon or other materials.

cjk
May 27th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Since you mentioned a faux crown, I do two braided pigtails each terminated with a clear silicone. Then I use my Topsy tail to pull the ends into the braids.

But I have nowhere near your length. To secure anything extra I would use a few bobby pins.

Mine doesn't move around at all.

AmaryllisRed
May 27th, 2019, 02:34 PM
I like doing milkmaid braids starting with two Dutch braids. It feels very secure.
Today I'm wearing milkmaid braids held only by bobby pins (maybe 12 of them) and I even lay down in them and they held up.
My hair is very slippery, too.
I would expect the same from a coronet braid but I'm not quite long enough yet.
I do love a Dutch crown braid but I get it if that's not your thing.

Entangled
May 27th, 2019, 04:58 PM
I’ve found Amish pins to be far more effective than Bobby pins now that I’ve started using them. I like to use them for milkmaid braids, too (though I just wrap the braids around my whole head rather than going up and over.)

Kat
May 27th, 2019, 06:23 PM
What is a coronet braid? I would have thought it's the same as a crown braid...

akurah
May 27th, 2019, 06:53 PM

Crown braid is a French or Dutch braid around your crown, with excess braided length pinned alongside the crown braid.

A coronet braid is a basic braid wrapped about your head. It resembles a crown braid.

HaMalka
May 27th, 2019, 08:06 PM
I use excessive amounts of u-pins or hair taping to hold my coronet braids. I have never successfully managed a crown braid.

Simsy
May 27th, 2019, 08:19 PM
I used to do 2 Dutch braids, one down each side. Then wrap the ends around my head, setting each braid on the outside of the Dutch braids. Either pin to the braid; I use bobby pins; or sew down with ribbon. Either way, everything is secured to the Dutch braids which hold them securely in place.

Ligeia Noire
May 27th, 2019, 08:33 PM
I cannot dutch or french braid around my head so my crown braid is just what you guys call a coronet, I still call it crown because it is a crown ah ah, anyway, could never ever secure it with anything but ribbon, I tape mine down and it stays put and it does not pull... pins or claws do not hold and I would need way too many. So sewing it down is my only way to secure it. I actually prefer the look of it like that. I do not do it much though because I have way too many wispies and the braid shred starts after a couple of hours, it is one of my favourite looks though.

akurah
May 27th, 2019, 10:23 PM
I made a video about this a few months ago when I got a lot of questions about how I managed to make a coronet braid one of my daily go-to styles.

I hope this helps!

https://youtu.be/V0Ri63xh_Vg

This is crazy helpful, thank you. I'm going to try this tomorrow, the way you secure it looks stable and our wave-factor is about the same. I'm a foot or two shy of hair but I don't think that will make a significant difference in this case

Cg
May 28th, 2019, 11:05 AM

In real life it is. Coronet is a synonym for crown.

On this forum, people often call the original medieval style (English braid wrapped around the crown -- and you need at least classic length for this) a coronet. The modern knock-off which can be done with much shorter hair, is lace-braiding around the crown, called here a crown. Though the resulting appearances are somewhat similar, the formation of the two is quite different.

gossamer
May 28th, 2019, 11:18 AM
In real life it is. Coronet is a synonym for crown.

On this forum, people often call the original medieval style (English braid wrapped around the crown -- and you need at least classic length for this) a coronet. The modern knock-off which can be done with much shorter hair, is lace-braiding around the crown, called here a crown. Though the resulting appearances are somewhat similar, the formation of the two is quite different.

I've also seen the English braid pinned around called a "faux crown braid" since it's not actually lace braided around the scalp the way a crown braid is.

neko_kawaii
May 28th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Where ever my braid is thick enough I secure it with spin pins, after that bobby pins. I find that alternating the direction of the pins helps with the hold. My hair is long enough to go more than once around, but I find pinning the second wrap and hiding the elastic and tail to be tedious and never fully effective, so after one go round, I pin the remaining length in a little bun of its own.

Proverbs31
May 28th, 2019, 11:36 AM
I have had trouble with crown/coronet braids slipping (mainly coronet), so I like to bobby-pin them down the center of the braid. This helps to secure them and hide the pins at the same, time, so win-win :o

AmaryllisRed
May 28th, 2019, 11:58 AM
I have had trouble with crown/coronet braids slipping (mainly coronet), so I like to bobby-pin them down the center of the braid. This helps to secure them and hide the pins at the same, time, so win-win :o

Yes, I bobby pin down the center of the braid, too. Then I look down and up and pin anywhere it slips.

Cg
May 28th, 2019, 12:20 PM
I've also seen the English braid pinned around called a "faux crown braid" since it's not actually lace braided around the scalp the way a crown braid is.

I guess it depends on one's identification of "real" versus "faux." I call "real" the original, used at least since medieval times, a simple long english braid wrapped or tied around the crown. I call "faux" the modern lace braided version, invented because it gives shorter-haired modern women rather the look but doesn't require nearly the length needed in the centuries-old style.

I'm impressed that you have the patience to braid so much length. I doff my caul to you.

gossamer
May 28th, 2019, 12:21 PM
I guess it depends on one's identification of "real" versus "faux." I call "real" the original, used at least since medieval times, a simple long english braid wrapped or tied around the crown. I call "faux" the modern lace braided version, invented because it gives shorter-haired modern women rather the look but doesn't require nearly the length needed in the centuries-old style.

I'm impressed that you have the patience to braid so much length. I doff my caul to you.

I'm curious, how long do you think it takes me to do a simple English braid? Because it's really not that time consuming, I think.

Estrid
May 28th, 2019, 12:23 PM
I once saw a video with someone using thread and "sewing" it to the scalp hair, and I think that is the method I will use once my hair is long enough to wrap a braid around my head (many years in the future). It looks prettier than pinning it down and it also looks like it would be more comfortable.

Cg
May 28th, 2019, 12:26 PM
I'm curious, how long do you think it takes me to do a simple English braid? Because it's really not that time consuming, I think.

I don't know, but mine at not even approaching knee takes a good bit of patience so I rarely do it. Yours is of course MUCH longer.

embee
May 28th, 2019, 04:30 PM
I love the coronet braid. My hair is long enough, but the braid is so thin/flat/straight that spinpins are too big by far. I have some plastic old fashioned hairpins (they look like tortoise shell) and I use them, but the braid is really held in place with a barrette at the end where it meets the beginning.

The leftover wispy tail end gets bobbypinned into a sort of pincurl - it's not big enough for anything else.