PDA

View Full Version : Shorter hair means washing hair more often?

backtolonghair
November 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Hey everyone! how are you? I have a question... When you had or have shorter hair did you find that you washed your hair more often than when it's longer?

My hair is just about shoulder length now and I find that if I don't wash it every other day or every couple days, it gets really greasy. When my hair was much longer, I think I can recall going longer without washing it..(my hair was tail bone at one time :(

Do you think because there is more length the oils have more hair to go through and is more distributed?

What do you all think? Thanks so much! :)

smilinjenn71
November 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Right now I have to wash every morning because it's all over my head when I wake up....hehe. I washed every other day when it was BSL though.

Lara1
November 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I have long hair and I wash it every day, sometimes even twice per day. It all depends on habits. I work out every day, so I have to wash it every day.

ktani
November 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I think that it really depends on your hair and scalp, how oily your scalp is and what you put on your hair.

I have found that my scalp is less oily than it was years ago and I only use a herb rinse now. that does contain oil but not too much.

When I wash my long hair, I use the suds from my scalp wash and squeeze it through my length. I only sampoo once and I can go a week or so between washes, although I really should wash about every 5 days or so. It varies.

Dvips
November 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I definitely wash my hair more when it is shorter, because I touch it more often so it gets dirtier faster. I don't know that that is the case for everyone, though. :twocents:

Vitalai
November 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I've always washed my hair every day, despite my hair length. My scalp starts getting this nasty sebum if I don't, and I play tennis too. I am trying to stretch it out now that it's winter though.

longhairedfairy
November 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I've always had long hair and I always wash it every day or two, usually every day. I don't always shampoo the length.

teacher_mom2
November 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I'm like smilinjenn. My hair is short and I wake up looking like a crazy woman. I have curly hair, too.......I think that makes it worse. One thing I am looking forward to is waking up and putting it up in a ponytail without washing it! :)

Jessikinz
November 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM
When I had really short hair I didn't care for it, and neglected it too. I washed it every day or every 2nd day. Cause it would get oily fast and I had dandruff problem too. But now that its long again, I wash it just once a week. And it looks ok on wash days, a little greasy on the top but not too bad. Also, I don't shampoo the length. Maybe once a month, but thats it.

Carolyn
November 6th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Yes that's very true for me. When I had shoulder length hair I had to wash it every day and blow dry and use a curling iron. It was just something I accepted. As I got longer and longer, I found that I could skip one day at first and now I often go to day 2 before washing again. I think this is due to wearing my hair up or in a braid a lot of the time. It looks OK if it's not washed every day when it's up or braided. I also think since I'm doing less styling, it gets less greasy due to not working with it as much. I still cannot wear my hair down unless it's been washed that morning. It's great not having to wash every day. Life is so much easier with long hair :cool:

joyellen
November 6th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I have to wash my hair every other day no matter what length it is.

suicides_eve
November 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM
idk for my hair is in between shoulder an apl and i don't find my self having to wash any more then i normally did when it was a pixie, guess its just different hair types? mines kinda on the dry side

CaityBear
November 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM
My scalp gets oily very quickly. I have almost hiplength hair right now and I used to have chin length hair and it hasn't changed for me. I still have to wash at the very least every second day. The third day starts to look scary...

rose_in_bloom
November 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Yes, I definitely wash more when it's short. Usually every day. My hair is just super oily!

Tressie
November 6th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I washed my hair more often when it was short/shorter. That said, I think my hair has gotten dryer with age, and I have had long hair for years. I finally was able to wash a couple of times a week and that was sufficient unless I had really sweated a lot.

Since finding LHC, I have tried to go longer between poos, and have made it once weekly sometimes, but my scalp does get itchy. My length, on the canopy (top layer), tends to be dry and this is why I am trying to wash less and do CO, or CWC with diluted shampoo and oil and all that good stuff:D!

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I am finally to the point where I do not have to!! I still shower, hoever?? (Every day, that is)

Arctic_Mama
November 7th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I think it depend far more on scalp chemistry than anything else. That said, the shorter the hair the sooner it seems to show grease. I can wash my hair once a week just fine, myself.

Miss Murphy
November 7th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I definitely wash my hair more when it is shorter, because I touch it more often so it gets dirtier faster. I don't know that that is the case for everyone, though. :twocents:

Same here. I am down to washing once a week (at BSL) - when I had ear-lenght hair, I constantly had my hands in it and had to wash more often as a consequence.

rymorg2
November 7th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Mine doesn't depend on the length of it; how often I wash depends on what I USE on it.

When I used chemical shampoos/condishes all the time my head itched, flaked and went mad. So I HAD to wash daily to keep from itching badly. Which started a vicious cycle. So I thought I'd never extend the time between my shampoos.

Within the last six months or so I would get lazy on my off days and not do anything. No itch. I'm using all natural things now. So I started to stretch. Now I can go every 3rd day without washing. This week I'm starting to stretch it again, so that I'm ONLY washing on my off days, so that as my hair gets longer (and consequently takes longer to dry) I'll be able to do a nice, long regimine in the shower and not get up at half crack of dawn to do it and get it dry by work!

LawyerGirl
November 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I find that I wash my hair WAY more often now than I did when it was long. Not being able to put it up makes a difference, and having dirty/greasy hair is so much more obvious when you can't put it up.

Can't wait til I can throw it up in a messy bun again!

LutraLutra
November 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I was thinking about this myself - when I was at pixie I'd wash every day and my hair would look really nasty if I didn't. Now my hair's reached the bottom of my neck (er, not sure how else to descirbe it) I can skip a day without looking like a wreck, in fact it sometimes looks better on the second day.

Medvssa
November 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
It doesn't for me. My hair is very dry. It never needed washing more than once a week, or less, and it has been from 2mm long to waist lenght (when straight).

jojo
November 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I certainly washed mine more when short, mainly because it stuck up more. I found it so much hard work too having to style it everyday.

Forever_Sophie
November 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I definitely washed more often when it was short! Plus, at the time, I lived in a busy city, heat styled, used tons of products...I often washed it daily.

Tap Dancer
November 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I'm always going back and forth between medium and long and my routine never changes. I wash my hair every other day, regardless of the length.

DecafJane
November 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I washed mine every day when it was ultra-short, because it was just part of the routine: wash, towel-dry and add product. :)
As it gets longer, I can stretch it to every third day in winter and every second day in summer.
Now that I am exercising every day and it is extremely humid/hot here, I am trying to do a CO wash every two days and a water-only wash in between, as I am concerned that S&C my hair every day will dry it out. I want to get healthy and have clean hair, but I also want my hair to be healthy. Oh, the choices! :P

Shari
November 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I have had short and long (shaved and waist-length and everything in between) and shirt definitely required more washing. I think it is because there is nowhere to brush the grease through to (charming!) and if it is too short to put up then it just looks really foul and has to be washed.

spidermom
November 9th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I washed mine more when it was shorter, but I think part of the reason was that it was just so darn convenient. Now it's a pain to wash my hair because of the long drying time and the detangling required. I'm much more willing to go several days between. It wasn't easy to break the habit of popping my head right under that shower, though.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I used to wash my hair every day when it was short, but I also did not condition it. Now I alternate and it looks and feels MUCH better!

Ryanne
November 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I used to wash it more when it was shorter. My hair would dry sooner, and now it takes too long to wash everyday or every other day.

SylphideNoir
November 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM
When I first chopped I felt that a litttle sebum, which would have been a good thing on long hair, made my hair feel and look horrid. Now I've toned down the leave in amount I used to use and make sure to really clean my scalp when shampooing. I'm back to washing one or two times a week. I make sure to have a cut that is completely "wash and go" while it is short so I don't handle or style it much more than misting and combing in the morning. It does take a bit more talent to mask a grease-head than before when a slick bun style was an option but once I learned a few tricks I don't worry about it at all.