PDA

View Full Version : Wooden comb!

catoala
May 27th, 2019, 09:45 AM
My comb-brush-comb-brush obssesion is back... :confused:

A wooden comb - is it fine? My hair is 1b, thick, so I wonder.. Is it a waste of money so to speak? Or better than plastic? Thanks!

-Fern
May 27th, 2019, 09:49 AM
I have a wide-tooth, sandalwood wooden comb and a Wet brush paddle brush (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81bosKkcWfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg). The Wet brush is faster, gentler, and cheaper.

There is something romantic and satisfying about running a sandalwood comb through my hair. But I almost never reach for it now that I have the Wet brush.

TatsuOni
May 27th, 2019, 09:50 AM
I have two wide toothed wooden combs and I love them :) Wooden combs are better than plastic, since plastic combs often has seams that can destroy your hair. Plastic can also make your hair static.

paulownia
May 27th, 2019, 10:39 AM
My wooden comb from The Body Shop is the only tool I use on my hair. Love it:D I don't even have a brush.

spacegal2374
May 27th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Yes! I love wooden combs. I have several sandalwood combs.

MusicalSpoons
May 27th, 2019, 03:08 PM
My combs are both wooden, the wide-tooth is sandalwood and the fine-tooth is purpleheart. Previously, I used a Denman brush which was marketed as non-static but oh boy that was wrong! Same with my BBB that's now redundant. So I don't know how the wooden combs compare to plastic but I really like them and I know for certain there's nothing to catch my hair and cause damage. And they're beautiful! Usually I only really use the wide-tooth one for detangling, but sometimes use the fine-tooth if I want my hair smoother for some reason, or to distribute oil well on the rare occasion I oil my hair. Again, you can only find out if your hair likes it by trying :)

akurah
May 27th, 2019, 04:07 PM
Unless your plastic comb is carved, a wooden comb will be superior. Most plastic combs are mold injected, which leaves seams, which is bad for hair.

lapushka
May 27th, 2019, 04:27 PM
The only downside is you can't use it with wet hair (I would not do that). I have a big Grahtoe wooden comb that was specially made for me when they first started making them. I love it, but I have not used it yet. It is such a pretty comb. It even has wider spaced teeth than my plastic combs (Hercules Sägemann, Hairsense).

mandcmommy
May 27th, 2019, 05:33 PM
I agree with the above, I ❤️ Love my bamboo combs from The Body Shop!

Kat
May 27th, 2019, 06:27 PM
I have a couple wood combs; I bought them because someone here once said "oh it will snap your hair off so much less than a plastic one!" (I finger-comb for that very reason; I break hair less often.) I didn't really notice a difference. And I try not to use the wood combs if my hair is damp, or really needs washing (greasy), or has oil/leave-in conditioner in it (because I don't want any of that soaking into the comb). And then of course I won't toss the wood combs into my backpack like I would plastic because I'm afraid of hurting them. What it boils down to is, I barely touch my lovely wood combs!

milosmomma
May 27th, 2019, 07:12 PM
I have a wooden comb and a brush and love them both. They are better at distributing oils and the leave behind a light woody fragrance that I love :)
Kat I think a plastic comb can be just as good as a wooden comb it depends on you combing gently and slowly. Of course the plastic comb would have to be seamless but that's not impossible to find. I have definitely snapped hairs with my wooden comb but it just happens. As long as you're gentle and not tearing through the tangles an odd snap here it there isnt to be worried about.
Another thing about wood combs is I like to oil mine and let it soak in and then I feel like I get a light even coating of oil the next time I comb. It's quite nice. :)

EdG
May 27th, 2019, 08:41 PM
I have a number of the Body Shop wooden combs. Wood is a great material for combs because it stays smooth with use (one is effectively sanding it). Wood can tolerate some dampness. The downside is that no two are alike. The same manufacturer can produce a good comb followed by a dud.
Ed

ChloeDharma
May 28th, 2019, 01:36 AM
I have a number of the Body Shop wooden combs. Wood is a great material for combs because it stays smooth with use (one is effectively sanding it). Wood can tolerate some dampness. The downside is that no two are alike. The same manufacturer can produce a good comb followed by a dud.
Ed

When I brought my wooden comb from the Body Shop I went through the ones there feeling the teeth to see how smooth they were. I did notice a bit of variation with some feeling a bit too rough but others feeling smooth.
You can sand down the teeth if there is a little roughness here and there if you can't find a smooth one.

I personally prefer a wooden or horn comb over a plastic one. The plastic ones I find always have sharp seams where they were moulded which gives me a mental image of running ribbon over a scissor blade.

Deborah
May 28th, 2019, 10:07 AM
I have a couple of wooden combs that I like a lot. But, what I like even much better is my wooden bristle WIDU extra large paddle brush. It has all the advantages of a wooden comb (controlling static, etc.) but the wooden pins are set in a flexible rubber base, making it heavenly to use. I own most of the brushes (and quite a few of the combs) discussed on LHC, but simply LOVE the WIDU brush!

Right after washing my hair, I like to use the Wet Brush paddle brush that Fern mentioned above. It's the best thing I have ever used for tangled, WET hair. But for daily use on dry hair the WIDU wins hands down.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
May 28th, 2019, 11:20 AM
I have a wooden comb from the body shop. On days that I don't finger detangle I use it. It does a good job. I just clean it regularly with a damp cloth. I read here on the forum "never use it on wet hair".

MadelineMomo
May 28th, 2019, 09:07 PM
I have a Myhsmooth sandalwood comb. I love it so much that when my old one broke in half, I bought enough of the exact same. It fits nicely in my hand, and my wavy textured hair likes it.

(And I love how combing out my hair with a wooden comb and dressing it with oils feels so fantasy-dramatic.)