PDA

View Full Version : Itching for a color change

Obsidian
May 26th, 2019, 08:49 AM
With summer, I always get a urge to cut or color my hair. Since its so short now, I'm not wanting to cut at all but the urge to color is strong.

I am so very happy I got rid of my henna or I very well might have used it and that is something I don't want.

I am trying to grow out my gray and the last thing I want is something so permanent it has to be cut off.

I've been thinking about using a pastel pink since about half of my hair is bleached. That would help quash the color bug without setting back my grow out.

For now, I'm going to do a neem powder treatment. Maybe doing something like that will help.

Wusel
May 26th, 2019, 09:31 AM
With summer, I always get a urge to cut or color my hair. Since its so short now, I'm not wanting to cut at all but the urge to color is strong.

I am so very happy I got rid of my henna or I very well might have used it and that is something I don't want.

I am trying to grow out my gray and the last thing I want is something so permanent it has to be cut off.

I've been thinking about using a pastel pink since about half of my hair is bleached. That would help quash the color bug without setting back my grow out.

For now, I'm going to do a neem powder treatment. Maybe doing something like that will help.

Same. With increasing temperatures I want my hair short... but won't cut this time.

spidermom
May 26th, 2019, 09:38 AM
There are a lot of deposit-only dye colors that will fade out over time, so you could scratch the color itch, and it won't be permanent. You like pink? Go for it!

Aerya
May 26th, 2019, 10:48 AM
If you have bleached ends already, that's the perfect opportunity to have a little change without setting back your progress! Deposit only dyes won't harm your hair, I'd have fun with pink and other colours on the bleached parts if I were you :)

Obsidian
May 26th, 2019, 11:07 AM
I've done the grow and cut almost every summer for well over a decade. The only time I didn't want to cut was when I was using henna.

I have a on going dilemma. I hate my natural color, the ashy tone makes me look like a corpse but at the same time, I want my silvers to show.

I'll try the pink, maybe it will be enough and I've always want pink.

Obsidian
May 26th, 2019, 07:51 PM
Well, its pink. Not quite as dark as I wanted it but its a start. I'll try again tomorrow.

I ended up going full on, bleached my whole head. I love the pale color, so much better than ashy grey.

http://imgur.com/HclgTb8

Dark40
May 26th, 2019, 08:24 PM
Me too, is also having a itch for coloring this summer. I haven't put any color to my hair for a whole year now! So, now I've got a lot of new growth or virgin hair that has grown out, and I have old dye on the ends. But soon I'm planning on using permanent hair dye. Because, I want it to be permanent and last up to 8 weeks. I'm planning on dyeing it a bright blonde shade. Like, a strawberry-blonde. It will have a lot of red in it. I won't be bleaching. Because, that's damaging to the hair. I'll just be experimenting with 2 or 3 different hair colors but the same kind of hair dye. This hair dye is wonderful!! And, the conditioner that comes in the kit of the hair dye is just marvelous!!! It always leaves your hair looking and feeling very heathly, shiny, and soft!!! I won't use any other hair dye.

spidermom
May 26th, 2019, 09:35 PM
A couple of tips that have made a big difference for me insofar as deposit-only color dye sticking to natural (unbleached) hair. Leave it on twice as long as recommended, and make the first rinse a vinegar-water rinse. Pour slowly through hair, massage through, then do your water rinse. I usually do the first rinse outside with the hose to avoid coloring my entire shower area, although a cleanser like Comet takes it all off.

Obsidian
May 27th, 2019, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the tip spidermom. I did bleach but I want it to stick long as possible so I'll try the vinegar.
I have a second application on now.

Once my hair fully dried last night it was a very pale peachy color. Pretty but not quite what I was after. Hopefully it comes out cotton candy pink this time.

Begemot
May 27th, 2019, 09:40 AM
Well, its pink. Not quite as dark as I wanted it but its a start. I'll try again tomorrow.

I ended up going full on, bleached my whole head. I love the pale color, so much better than ashy grey.

http://imgur.com/HclgTb8

Love it :love: Cotton candy pink sounds lovely!

LittleHealthy
May 27th, 2019, 09:56 AM
A temporary dye sounds perfect. I tried one this year. It only lasted 3 washes as I hadn’t actually bleached my hair first. It was fine! And gave me effect I wanted. But all gone very quickly.

LittleHealthy
May 27th, 2019, 09:58 AM
Looks perfect. I tried one this year. It only lasted 3 washes as I hadn’t actually bleached my hair first. It was fine! And gave me effect I wanted. But all gone very quickly.

Obsidian
May 27th, 2019, 11:21 AM
When I was using henna, I tried a temporary color for quick root touch ups and it didn't stick either.
Splat makes a line for dark hair, its supposed to work really well.

My second application looks much better. The picture I posted was a bit misleading, looked way pinker then it actually was.

https://i.imgur.com/tcHaTE1.jpg?1

Begemot
May 27th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Great results! :thumbsup:

spidermom
May 27th, 2019, 01:56 PM
I like the pink.

I generally would go for a darker color than I wanted because it does start to fade out quickly. When I did magenta, it faded out to pink within about a month, and the last of the pastel pink faded from my ends in 5-6 months.

zmirina
May 27th, 2019, 02:26 PM
I'm itching to get a nice lob, since my hair is just passing waist, and I want it to be at tailbone or longer.....

I'm torn between wanting very long hair or fairly short hair, without any tolerance for the lengths in between.

Obsidian
May 27th, 2019, 02:50 PM
If I had longer hair, I would have done the ends darker but since all the color is right at my face, it needs to be a bit lighter.

I'm terrible about cutting. I want longer hair but it gets so heavy and hot in the summer, I can hardly stand it. I've never had hair longer then shoulder blade, I'd like to just to see what its like.

Genne
May 27th, 2019, 03:06 PM
I've done the grow and cut almost every summer for well over a decade. The only time I didn't want to cut was when I was using henna.

I have a on going dilemma. I hate my natural color, the ashy tone makes me look like a corpse but at the same time, I want my silvers to show.

I'll try the pink, maybe it will be enough and I've always want pink.

Hello,
I'm an ashy, mousey, Caramel dirty blonde myself and had been wishing my full length grays would come in enough for me to justify a full white-platinum bleach out but, they didn't justify the harsh bleach. I am new to henna and honestly thought it was a "temporary" color when I got it. I must have truly misremembered what the "henna gloss" did from my friends conversations long ago.

So, I wish you good luck on avoiding that instant change you are looking for. In the meanwhile, looks like I'm dedicated to the henna until I choose to go for a two year grow out where it'll look funny until it looks like a cool, very long ombre. :)

Good luck!
Jen
p.s. I hope you can find something about your natural color to enjoy while you are waiting, what is there besides the ash? Any caramel highlights? Although I think ash is cool looking but, mine was more dirty than ash.

Genne
May 27th, 2019, 03:08 PM
When I was using henna, I tried a temporary color for quick root touch ups and it didn't stick either.
Splat makes a line for dark hair, its supposed to work really well.

My second application looks much better. The picture I posted was a bit misleading, looked way pinker then it actually was.

https://i.imgur.com/tcHaTE1.jpg?1

That looks awesome! :)
Jen

Genne
May 27th, 2019, 03:11 PM
A temporary dye sounds perfect. I tried one this year. It only lasted 3 washes as I hadn’t actually bleached my hair first. It was fine! And gave me effect I wanted. But all gone very quickly.

Hello,
In the past I used regular dye but, it all washed out on its own as if it were an actual temporary. I rarely remember them lasting longer than a month, (permanent curls also washed out regardless of how rigidly I followed the directions.) I hope the original poster doesn't mind me making a side bar into your reply. This is also my 25th post here and I enjoy this community. Thank you, good luck both with your color changes and changing. :)
Jen

Obsidian
May 27th, 2019, 04:36 PM
My natural color is a pretty ashy blonde but as I've aged, its taken on more of a plain ash. Think the color of concrete with some lighter blond bits.

No carmel or other nice colors. I do have two wide swaths of white above each ear that I love. I actually really liked how it looked bleached.
Once the pink fades, i will tone it and see if it goes white.

I don't mind using dyes, just trying to stay away from anything too drastic or warm. I don't take dye well either, browns and reds just disappear after a couple weeks.

I really love red, its just too much upkeep as the ashy roots show after just a week. Good luck with growing out your henna, that stuff is more permanent then a tattoo.