PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Hair Thoughts?

Sammybunny711
November 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Have any of you experienced this before? I think about my hair and how much I want it to be waist length DAILY and I also lie in bed at night imagining that I had waist length hair and what it would be like! Am I overly obsessive or do most of you feel this way at some point?:D

smilinjenn71
November 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I've felt somewhat obsessed of late. I'm going for shoulder first and then making a decision for longer later. That seems to tame my obsession with it growing/being longer. I have a ton of layers to grow out, so I need to learn NOT to obsess. This is going to be a long journey.

My main thinking is... where will it be by April? Where will it be in a year? Where will it be in 2 years? Not to mention I've also been measuring every couple of days to see how fast/slow it's growing. :thud:

Arctic
November 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I was very obsessed for the first 6 months of my membership, I think it's normal :ponder:

My advise it try to make most of your hair how it is now, learn to love it and yourself how you are now.

Sammybunny711
November 6th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I've felt somewhat obsessed of late. I'm going for shoulder first and then making a decision for longer later. That seems to tame my obsession with it growing/being longer. I have a ton of layers to grow out, so I need to learn NOT to obsess. This is going to be a long journey.

My main thinking is... where will it be by April? Where will it be in a year? Where will it be in 2 years? Not to mention I've also been measuring every couple of days to see how fast/slow it's growing. :thud:

ME TOO! I totally have been measuring every few days and it is ACTUALLY growing. I went from like 14" October 20th to 14.7" as of yesterday (Nov. 5. 08) (measured several times just to make sure) and it is really growing!

Anje
November 6th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I think many folks get this when they first join, and a lot of us are more hair-aware than we were pre-LHC. The long-timers will all tell you though, that at some point you need to just put it up and not worry too much about your hair. The best haircare is usually benign neglect, and there's much less frustration involved with growing your hair if you're not worrying about when it will be at that perfect length. Just let it grow and enjoy the changes. Each stage has good and bad things about it, and you will grow into and out of various updos and styles. Learn them as you go through them, and savor them.

Drynwhyl
November 6th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I never had this obsession, because when I decided I wanted extremely long hair it was already down to breast lenght :D
I advise you to try and supress that, you'll go out of your mind untill it grows :S

Tangles
November 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hmm, now that I think about it, it IS better to consciously grow when you're already sort of long. I think when you're anything shorter than APL, the potential to obsess is definitely alot higher. I think when I'm at BSL and more layers are cut out, I won't even really think about my hair much.

HairColoredHair
November 6th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I get obsessed in starts and fits. Every time I decide to try something new = obsession for a few weeks.

MsBubbles
November 6th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I would imagine like any project a person gets 'gung-ho' about in the beginning, it's easy to let it monopolize your thoughts, but then I'm a bit of an obsessive person myself. I'm either over-achieving or laying around lazy. I wouldn't say that's healthy or how I'd like myself to be, I'd like some more moderation but I think I have realized that's just who I am.

If it makes you feel any better, I drape my tape measure at 30" over my head to see where it falls against my back, and imagine it's my hair at x months/years in the future! :p Then I feel silly so I put it away again and get on with my life. :bigeyes:

Bianca
November 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Every night I lay and dream about long waist lenght red hair. EVERY night :p
So I know what you mean. I try to think about something else, but it makes me so happy to imagine myself with my dream hair.

Why do hair have to grow so damn slow...

Islandgrrl
November 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm maybe obsessed with how I care for my hair, but I'm not plagued by constant thoughts of my hair. I'm one of those "put it up and forget about it" people. :)

rose_in_bloom
November 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM
YES! I am absolutely terrible about obsessing over my hair. It takes up way too much of my time. :( My mom often reproves me for spending so much time and energy making hair recipes and whatnot. I am constantly thinking about the state of my hair, touching it to see if it's too dry or oily, making sure it's not in any "danger". And I also drape a measuring tape down my back and imagine it's my hair...LOL! :rolleyes:

But really, it's FUN to do stuff with your hair! It's not like I spend a ton of time on my appearance, I don't even wear makeup. So I look at this whole hair obsession thing as a temporary and very innocent vanity. :) So honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, and you probably won't be obsessed like this for much longer anyway.

Erin :blossom:

SweetPea88
November 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I can definitely relate, I felt the same way for the first couple months after I joined. Especially now that my hair is a bit past waist, I'm not constantly checking how long it looks!

catfish
November 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Ha, all the time:o If it's not length, it's color, or shine, or silkiness, curliness, straightness, or products, etc..
I think it makes the journey to long hair fun though, even when my hair gets to my goal length, I have a lifetime to maintain it's health and that to me is fun.

I think we all might be a little obsessed( in a good way), we are on a long hair site after all;)

Jessikinz
November 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
heh, I got this way when I got my hair chopped all off in 2004. I obsessed literally everyday about what my hair is going to look like once it grows back out. But now I just put it all up and forget about it. I'm gonna let it do its own thing without me obsessing over it.

Kirin
November 6th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I was at first when my hair was super short and I made the decision to grow. I would say the first four months it drove me crazy..... but it did fade out, and though i have occassional "spazz" moments thinking about my hair, there's huge gaps between I dont think about it at all.

ChloeDharma
November 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I have a bit of an obsessive personality i think, so i figure it's better i obsess about hair and skin than some of the more negative things that can play on my mind.
That said, i do find i go through periods of obsessing about it more. For a while now it's thickness that i've obsessed over more than length....and recently, say, for the past few months condition as that's now very achievable for me now the last of the damage has gone.
This might sound odd, but i think growing up and seeing how selfless the women in my family are made me determined to be more selfish, so i don't actually feel bad about being all about me and what i want as my mother basically spent her life seeing to other peoples needs (my dad, her mum, us 4 kids) and my sisters who are both older than me have done the same thing....themselves always getting the leftover energy after everyone else is sorted.

suicides_eve
November 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
i was like that when i first joined but not so much so after i hit shoulder back in july, it's been smooth sailing since. I would advise you not to go nuts over it- it dosen't help the hair grow any faster:p trust me i know or eles my hair would be wrapped around my feet by now. Also stressing can deff make you hair growth slow down and go into a stall

Tashomani
November 6th, 2008, 06:14 PM
SammyBunny YOUR HAIR COLOR IS FANTASTIC

Sammybunny711
November 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
SammyBunny YOUR HAIR COLOR IS FANTASTIC

Thank you SO much Tashomani! Sincerely! That makes me very happy to know that you people like my virgin color!

xrosiex
November 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I do lay in bed and think about my almost every night. Not just growth but thoughts about how to make my braid better or what recipe I can try next. It's really relaxing to me.

gdimoonbeam
November 6th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I don't obsess about the length but I do have 4 or more shampoos and 4 or more conditioners around at one time!!
Now that I'm going CO I need to use up all the poo.

lora410
November 6th, 2008, 08:35 PM
yup, been there done that. Mine finally stopped at bsl :lol: hang in there.

BlackfootHair
November 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Oh yes...this obsession lead me to search for fun Dabur commercials on YouTube and then go to mulitple Indian stores and buy the same products. My hunt became my obsession. You know, wigs are fun for this reason...being obsessed about waist length hair. They are usually really heavy and all over the place...tangled and in your face till you rip it off and are surprisingly glad your hair is short. I know I will absolutely LOVE having my hair waist length or longer...but it will by mine and will not feel heavy or all those other things. It will be long, shiny, and smell nice. :) hahaha!

Tressie
November 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM
YES! I am absolutely terrible about obsessing over my hair. It takes up way too much of my time. :( My mom often reproves me for spending so much time and energy making hair recipes and whatnot. I am constantly thinking about the state of my hair, touching it to see if it's too dry or oily, making sure it's not in any "danger". And I also drape a measuring tape down my back and imagine it's my hair...LOL! :rolleyes:

But really, it's FUN to do stuff with your hair! It's not like I spend a ton of time on my appearance, I don't even wear makeup. So I look at this whole hair obsession thing as a temporary and very innocent vanity. :) So honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, and you probably won't be obsessed like this for much longer anyway.

Erin :blossom:
slight hijack! Now that measuring tape thing made me laugh! How about a picture!! That's cute (o:

tiny_teesha
November 6th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I was obsessed when i first joined, and i'm still pretty obsessed, occasionally if my life gets exciting i'll forget for a little while, but i think if it is a passion you won't stop being obsessed until you reach your goals i guess. That is how it is with me anyway! :)

Robbi Dehlinger
November 6th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I dream that my hair magically grows to my knees in about 30 minutes. Wish it would happen:)

HotRag
November 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I was obcessed in counting my sheds.
During eating disorder I started to shed 10 times as normal. I then had 50" long hair wich I loved, so it was a chocking experience.

I started to count shedded hairs, and kept doing so for three years.
The good thing is that when I put data into a graphic diagram, I discovered periods of more natural shedding, during fall for example.
That is good to know when those periods starts every year.

I also noticed that the overshedding started when all fat (and most of the protein) was totally excluded from my diet. Putting fat back and watching balance in diet, stopped the shed rather quick (within a month) - before I actually started to eat more to gain weight.

For now, the "obcess" is about, "do I protect my hair enough from damage", "do I make updos in a way that doesn't cause pulling lot of hair out".

Amara
November 7th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Perhaps the OP and others are not talking quite this seriously, but I want to throw it out there.

If an obsession doesn't get in the way of normal functioning, it's fine. It can be positive - giving you a place to channel your energy.

However, if your thoughts intrude on your daily activities to the point where you have difficulty functioning some of the time, then it's a problem. There are ways to cope with obsessive thoughts - don't let them rule your life. A current obsession with hair might just be a phase - if you periodically "latch" onto new things and they disrupt your normal thought/behavior pattern to a degree that makes you uncomfortable, you need to seek help (whether that means self-counseling, seeing a doc, going to yoga more, whatever).

:) :flowers:

peachy.pudding
November 7th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Yes i have been there done that lol, it always seems worse the shorter the hair is, now i have learnt to obsesses about short term achivable goals rather than the distant ones

neon-dream
November 7th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I'm pretty obsessive I must admit.
I'm more focusing on keeping it in good condition and just waiting for the growth now though, so my main obsession is in hair condition, not length :)
xxx

Bene
November 7th, 2008, 03:03 AM
i get obsessive when it's not behaving... like when it's rainy and humid out, and everything gets all frizzy... like today... and i feel my hair being all frizzy and i start obsessing about how it won't be so bad when it's longer...

Dolly
November 7th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Oh yeah, I get obsessive.....totally. But not to the point where it disrupts my life, though.

I think I am obsessive lately because of the fact that I am actually ENJOYING my long hair. I love it SOOOOOO much better with bangs and layers, and now that I know I can have my stick-straight hair curly if I want to, with no damage, it makes me very happy!

BlndeInDisguise
November 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
When I first joined, I thought about hair constantly. Now, not so much. It depends, really. I've found the more I think about it, the more I want "stuff" for my hair, and the more I realize I can't afford it. :p

rhubarbarin
November 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I was really bad four years ago when my hair was only a few inches long, and when I first joined LHC because I had major hair on the brain.

Now I'm only 3" away from waist and I just feel patient. I'm still excited, but I don't have obsessive thoughts or feel like it's NEVER going to get there (although it probably won't be there for another year, since I'm going to trim half my growth in 2009).