PDA

View Full Version : My hair dries insanely fast - What does that mean?

Wusel
May 25th, 2019, 02:53 AM
It was always like this. 5 minutes in a cotton t-shirt, and 15 minutes without and my hair is completely dry. At any length, it was like this when it was WL too. Even though it's very thick now, I have a lot of it, it tangles easily...
I have washed it at 10:15 and it's 10.53 now and it's dry.
What does it mean? Is it very low porosity?
I thought low porosity hair doesn't tangle much.
And is it a good or a bad thing? Does it mean that my hair can't hold moisture?
I appreciate when someone could explain this to me.
Thank you :)

Joules
May 25th, 2019, 04:55 AM
My ends and bangs (whatever's left of them after almost 4 years of growing out) dry very quickly, but those parts are high porosity and they need a lot of oils and silicones to hold in moisture.

Are you sure your hair is low porosity? Low porosity hair is hard to moisturize, but it also loses the moisture very slowly. Does it feel ok after drying? My high porosity bits feel very obviously dry and in need of leave-ins. If your hair feels nice and soft, it's probably just how it is. Enjoy it, it's a real PITA when your hair takes hours to fully dry :lol:

lapushka
May 25th, 2019, 05:33 AM
If I don't put styling products in it after the wash, it dries faster as well. I still need 8+H, though!

It may just be a good thing! Better than it not drying fast enough.

Maybe you can use a leave-in + a serum to weigh it down a little bit?

spitfire511
May 25th, 2019, 06:33 AM
Everything that joules said from me. My high porosity bits are the ones that are sun bleached. They dry in minutes and the remainder of my hair dries in hours. I would guess that you likely have high porosity hair!

Is it damaged and giving you concern or just something you notice? If it’s not a problem - hurrah for you!! Most of us would LOVE to have quick drying hair! If you do feel it’s a problem or that you need more moisture, agree with the others on finding ways to seal in some moisture!

Ligeia Noire
May 25th, 2019, 06:59 AM
At calf, it dries in two/three hours if i leave it down and if it is warm and sunny and i am out.
If loose and weather rainy, it takes a day; if loosely braided or bunned and it's rainy, it takes two days.
My hair is 2b, fine in strands and thick in bulk, high porosity, tangles when i breath and it's very dry prone.

Crystawni
May 25th, 2019, 07:13 AM
Honestly, hair drying times are a mystery to me. My pigmented hair can take days to dry and drips for ages, but the non-pigmented ones dry instantly--as in, straight out of a brief towel blotting, like this pic from a few years ago shows:

https://i.imgur.com/s5DrBuN.jpg

It's all low porosity, baby fine and loads of it. And yup, it can tangle if I so much as look at it the wrong way.

EdG
May 25th, 2019, 07:26 AM
30 minutes drying time is not unheard of in warm weather with good air circulation. Drying will take much longer if the temperature is cold or the hair is bunched together.
Ed

paulownia
May 25th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Well, it is generally said that high porosity hair absorbs a lot of water during the wash and dries very quickly. I would say that you have pretty high porosity then.
But of course drying time is just one factor.
My hair is generally behaving more like low porosity but it doesn't take very long time to dry. 2-3 hours max.

cjk
May 25th, 2019, 07:54 AM
It means that I'm jealous of you. 20 to 30 minutes? Mine takes 60x that.

20 to 30 hours.

And yes, that includes going outside in warm weather.

It's got to be a matter of porosity.

AmaryllisRed
May 25th, 2019, 08:45 AM
This is all interesting to me.
If I keep a towel on my head for 10 minutes after washing, when I take it down, there will be parts that are dry.
Other parts will still be wet when I wake up. :shrug:

spidermom
May 25th, 2019, 10:02 AM
My hair is high porosity, and it takes forever to dry unless it's a warm or hot, low humidity day.

Begemot
May 25th, 2019, 10:04 AM
It's a good thing! I would love it if my hair dried that quickly. It might be that your hair is high porosity naturally. Often high porosity hair is talked like it's a bad thing but I think that's because processed hair tends to be/become damaged and high porosity. Natural high porosity hair is healthy and not "worse" compared to normal and high porosity hair.

Wusel
May 25th, 2019, 10:18 AM
It's a good thing! I would love it if my hair dried that quickly. It might be that your hair is high porosity naturally. Often high porosity hair is talked like it's a bad thing but I think that's because processed hair tends to be/become damaged and high porosity. Natural high porosity hair is healthy and not "worse" compared to normal and high porosity hair.

I have virgin hair since I was born and I never had split ends, it's always very healthy... so... natural high porosity in a healthy state...? Even at waist I didn't have split ends but it always tangles quite a lot, unless I put cones in it or do WCO.

lapushka
May 25th, 2019, 10:25 AM
My hair is high porosity, and it takes forever to dry unless it's a warm or hot, low humidity day.

See. I never saw the correlation with that. When I had high porosity due to bleach & henna damage (oooh those times) it still took 8+H just like with my virgin hair! So nothing changed there, for me!

Suortuva
May 25th, 2019, 12:26 PM
I know I have high porosity hair. Anyway the dyed parts, but I think my virgin hair might have this tendency too. I have always had fast drying hair, so long I can remember. I can really relate what Wusel wrote in her first post. Especially my ends dry super fast. I have dry hair too. Every time I wash it, I use lots of conditioners and masks, and have been doing this quite a some time, and I have noticed it doesn't dry that fast anymore. Ok, it still drys fast, but I can see a difference. Then I don't know what all this means and so on, this is just what I have noticed.

MoonRabbit
May 25th, 2019, 12:51 PM
My partners hair is the same. His hair is completely virgin, thicker than mine and it is practically half way dry by the time he gets dressed right out the of shower. It's insane and I envy it so much lol

Wusel
May 25th, 2019, 12:59 PM
I know I have high porosity hair. Anyway the dyed parts, but I think my virgin hair might have this tendency too. I have always had fast drying hair, so long I can remember. I can really relate what Wusel wrote in her first post. Especially my ends dry super fast. I have dry hair too. Every time I wash it, I use lots of conditioners and masks, and have been doing this quite a some time, and I have noticed it doesn't dry that fast anymore. Ok, it still drys fast, but I can see a difference. Then I don't know what all this means and so on, this is just what I have noticed.

My hair dries faster on the scalp. Scalp is dry after 15 minutes and ends 5-10 min later.
When I do WCO and masks it's the same for me. It takes longer to dry. Especially when I oil after conditioning and seal the moisture with the oil leaving the oil in, then it takes up to 4 hours to get completely dry.

Wusel
May 25th, 2019, 01:02 PM
My partners hair is the same. His hair is completely virgin, thicker than mine and it is practically half way dry by the time he gets dressed right out the of shower. It's insane and I envy it so much lol

Yes... same insane for me. :D I can tell my BF, when we go out, half an hour before we have to leave "I wash my hair now" and he won't freak out because he knows I'm done in 30 min. LOL!

lapushka
May 26th, 2019, 03:18 AM
My hair dries faster on the scalp. Scalp is dry after 15 minutes and ends 5-10 min later.
When I do WCO and masks it's the same for me. It takes longer to dry. Especially when I oil after conditioning and seal the moisture with the oil leaving the oil in, then it takes up to 4 hours to get completely dry.

OMG! I wish! LOL!

Wusel
May 26th, 2019, 03:40 AM
I always thought I have low porosity hair because it doesn't sink, it floats...

viki
May 26th, 2019, 03:52 AM
This is all interesting to me.
If I keep a towel on my head for 10 minutes after washing, when I take it down, there will be parts that are dry.
Other parts will still be wet when I wake up. :shrug:

I feel you. And it's even worse if I braid my hair to avoid damage

AutobotsAttack
May 26th, 2019, 06:39 AM
If my hair is in a wet/damp bun it takes 1-2 days to dry.

If my hair is free flowing and out, maybe a couple of hours if I’m in my house, less than 15-20 mins if I’m outside and it’s very warm.

I think there’s nothing to worry about honestly.

AmaryllisRed
May 26th, 2019, 07:22 AM
I feel you. And it's even worse if I braid my hair to avoid damage

Oh if I braid it, we're talking daaays. :)