PDA

View Full Version : Waves

catoala
May 24th, 2019, 06:57 AM
Hi! I need help

My hair is 1b and it's very fine. Thick, but extremely fragile. All brushes and combs break my hair besides wooden one (using gently) - but I can't always detangle with wooden one because it could rip my hair as well. I need some other solution?... I tried detangling wet, in shower, conditoner on, off and all absolutely - but tangles bother me so much and I want that "silky" hair I get with brushing. But the breakage...

Help?

MusicalSpoons
May 24th, 2019, 07:06 AM
If I want to brush my hair, I detangle with my wide-toothed wooden comb, then my fine-toothed wooden comb, before using my Denman brush. The progressive nature of the detangling minimises damage, rather than going straight for the brush. I also don't try to detangle on anything but completely dry hair; I might occasionally run my fingers through the ends when sopping wet and full of conditioner, but that's more to make sure the conditioner is distributed well and does not count as detangling.

I'm assuming you start at the ends and slowly work your way up to detangle (starting at the roots is usually a recipe for damage and breakage).

Oh, also, when combing (or brushing, but I don't often brush) I stop as soon as I feel the comb hit resistance and gently pull the hairs apart from each other, and get out tangles that way. Not stopping and pushing through the resistance is what leads to breakage or other damage, and can sometimes cause looser tangled to knot up tighter.

If your hair is very prone to breakage I'd recommend reading up on moisture/protein balance and making sure you're giving your hair enough of both. Protein can help strengthen and support weak hair structure, but you also need enough moisture to maintain elasticity.

spitfire511
May 24th, 2019, 07:17 AM
If I want to brush my hair, I detangle with my wide-toothed wooden comb, then my fine-toothed wooden comb, before using my Denman brush. The progressive nature of the detangling minimises damage, rather than going straight for the brush. I also don't try to detangle on anything but completely dry hair; I might occasionally run my fingers through the ends when sopping wet and full of conditioner, but that's more to make sure the conditioner is distributed well and does not count as detangling.

I'm assuming you start at the ends and slowly work your way up to detangle (starting at the roots is usually a recipe for damage and breakage).

Oh, also, when combing (or brushing, but I don't often brush) I stop as soon as I feel the comb hit resistance and gently pull the hairs apart from each other, and get out tangles that way. Not stopping and pushing through the resistance is what leads to breakage or other damage, and can sometimes cause looser tangled to knot up tighter.

If your hair is very prone to breakage I'd recommend reading up on moisture/protein balance and making sure you're giving your hair enough of both. Protein can help strengthen and support weak hair structure, but you also need enough moisture to maintain elasticity.

:agree: All of these things - I stop immediately if I feel resistance no matter what I'm using. A tangle teezer has also been a big help for me. I know there are many detangling sprays out there and I've been known to make my own with a spray bottle and VERY watered down coney conditioner.

Lots of people liken it to treating your hair like antique lace - the damaged (read sun bleached) portions of my hair I have to be INSANELY gentle with. And I'm know to detangle by pulling a tangle to the front where I can see and pulling it apart strand by stand (then snipping off any splits that caused the tangle or were caused by it.)

Good luck! it can be done with LOTS of patience!

lapushka
May 24th, 2019, 07:30 AM
My hair is 1b and it's very fine. Thick, but extremely fragile. All brushes and combs break my hair besides wooden one (using gently) - but I can't always detangle with wooden one because it could rip my hair as well. I need some other solution?... I tried detangling wet, in shower, conditoner on, off and all absolutely - but tangles bother me so much and I want that "silky" hair I get with brushing. But the breakage...

Help?

I have F but iii hair as well, but I don't brush except on wash day.

You could try finger detangling, but then you probably won't get that smooth feeling. With finger detangling I mean, separating hair into 2, then 4, then 6, then 8 until every shed hair is out. Not raking fingers through (can be even more damaging than a comb).

Do you have heat damage? Did you use heat before joining the LHC?
Because that can be a marker for breakage not so much the brush/comb.

catoala
May 24th, 2019, 07:39 AM
I have F but iii hair as well, but I don't brush except on wash day.

You could try finger detangling, but then you probably won't get that smooth feeling. With finger detangling I mean, separating hair into 2, then 4, then 6, then 8 until every shed hair is out. Not raking fingers through (can be even more damaging than a comb).

Do you have heat damage? Did you use heat before joining the LHC?
Because that can be a marker for breakage not so much the brush/comb.

I do not have heat damage and no. I wash my hair with a basic shampoo, no conditoner (makes my hair tangly, dry and weird and it never had been like that, after I stoppęd it's soft and shiny), oil the length and use a rake comb and a wooden brush (Comb, not that much but I'm trying to be gentler..) so nothing in my routine is -off- I think.. But I also think I should go back to traditonal combing while wet and leave it otherwise. No other solution unless I want splits.

spidermom
May 24th, 2019, 09:19 AM
A coney serum sparingly applied (1-3 drops) seemed to make tangles almost fall out by themselves when my hair was a lot longer. I really liked CHI Silk Infusion. At my current length, I don't need it. I do use conditioner or hair mask about every other time that I wash my hair.

lapushka
May 24th, 2019, 10:48 AM
I do not have heat damage and no. I wash my hair with a basic shampoo, no conditoner (makes my hair tangly, dry and weird and it never had been like that, after I stoppęd it's soft and shiny), oil the length and use a rake comb and a wooden brush (Comb, not that much but I'm trying to be gentler..) so nothing in my routine is -off- I think.. But I also think I should go back to traditonal combing while wet and leave it otherwise. No other solution unless I want splits.

That's a bit of a conundrum then. But if it's easier to detangle wet, I would stick to that.

lithostoic
May 24th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Have you tried the wetbrush? I use it on dry hair. Only brush I use!

lapushka
May 24th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Have you tried the wetbrush? I use it on dry hair. Only brush I use!

^^ Seconding that brush. I use it on damp (after towel, after washing) hair.

I use a TT (Tangle Teezer) on my dry hair pre-wash.

(I only detangle on wash day, once a week. Rest of the week, I "finger detangle".)

Dark40
May 24th, 2019, 03:44 PM
I agree that a tangle-teezer will help.

Spikey
May 24th, 2019, 04:40 PM
You might also want to give conditioner another try. Just beacuse one brand didn't agree with your hair doesn't mean they all will. I have very fine hair with a lot of breakage too and I don't know where I'd be without connditioner. If you've tried ones with cones, try some without, or vice versa.

Another thing that helps me is finger detangling and (carefully) using a boar bristle brush. But my hair is much curlier than yours, so who knows. I hope you figure it out!

Also, are you wearing your hair up daily? Do you use hairsticks or hair ties?

milosmomma
May 24th, 2019, 06:29 PM
If you're really opposed to conditioner maybe try an apple cider vinegar rinse, it gives me a lot of slip but when I use one its after lots of oil and conditioner so I'm not sure if it would have a drying effect without the added moisture beforehand. Maybe try some silicone free conditioners or do some experiments with different kinds, there are so many you should be able to find some thing your hair likes.

catoala
May 25th, 2019, 03:35 AM
I have a TT and WB, both break my hair. WB less, but TT definitely too much.

lapushka
May 25th, 2019, 05:51 AM
I have a TT and WB, both break my hair. WB less, but TT definitely too much.

How do you brush? Do you start at the root, or at the ends?

Normal way of combing/brushing here is to start from the ends, then work your way up to the root area.

Angela the Mer
May 25th, 2019, 02:45 PM
How do you brush? Do you start at the root, or at the ends?

Normal way of combing/brushing here is to start from the ends, then work your way up to the root area.

This is such great advice. I used to brush top down, but then started brushing from the ends and working my way up and it made *such* a difference. Much easier to brush and less breakage, etc.