PDA

View Full Version : Those darn genetics! Going grey at 25

CrazyPlantLady
May 23rd, 2019, 08:45 AM
Hi everyone. I haven't seen any posts about going grey at a young age so if there is one I apologize. Let me start.

I noticed grey hairs in high school, one maybe two and now that I'm 25 I've noticed there are about 10 already! My mom went grey very young - she's only 42 and is FULL grey. Is anyone else here going grey very young? How are you planning on dealing with it? Henna, hair dye, just embracing it?? I don't think I will fully embrace grey hair until I hit my 40's or 50's so I know I years of fighting with them ahead of me.

Wusel
May 23rd, 2019, 08:49 AM
You need high amounts of a Copper supplement. This could stop it. Worth a try. I don't remember which supplements help with that but I know Copper is the most important one. My hair vitamins have copper too and it's written on them that it prevents or reverses premature greying.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2019, 08:49 AM
I had my first white hairs a little over age 20. Now that I'm 46 I still have a tiny sprinkling throughout. You wouldn't notice from afar (can't see it in my signature, can you, and that's recent). ;) :D

It has been said in many a thread here on this forum that graying often doesn't go that fast from when noticing the first ones.

So I would not panic... just yet.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2019, 08:51 AM
You need high amounts of a Copper supplement. This could stop it. Worth a try. I don't remember which supplements help with that but I know Copper is the most important one. My hair vitamins have copper too and it's written on them that it prevents or reverses premature greying.

I would love to see more info on the fact that copper does that. If that were true, I think it would be a miracle and the world would know about it, no? ;)

Wusel
May 23rd, 2019, 08:54 AM
I would love to see more info on the fact that copper does that. If that were true, I think it would be a miracle and the world would know about it, no? ;)

I don't know, it was written on the package and I have read it somewhere on the internet too. But I didn't research it further because I have exactly one grey hair since about 5 years.

CrazyPlantLady
May 23rd, 2019, 09:00 AM

Oh wow I haven't heard about this, I may try it.

CrazyPlantLady
May 23rd, 2019, 09:01 AM
I had my first white hairs a little over age 20. Now that I'm 46 I still have a tiny sprinkling throughout. You wouldn't notice from afar (can't see it in my signature, can you, and that's recent). ;) :D

It has been said in many a thread here on this forum that graying often doesn't go that fast from when noticing the first ones.

So I would not panic... just yet.

Just from conversations I've had with my mom and her experience I feel like it's in my future. Fingers crossed that these 10 hairs I have right now are the only ones I see for awhile.

Wusel
May 23rd, 2019, 09:04 AM
Just from conversations I've had with my mom and her experience I feel like it's in my future. Fingers crossed that these 10 hairs I have right now are the only ones I see for awhile.

There is something called hair mascara to cover them. Seen it at my drugstore.

CrazyPlantLady
May 23rd, 2019, 09:17 AM
There is something called hair mascara to cover them. Seen it at my drugstore.

Yeah I've seen those! I just worry about it causing buildup or making my hair greasy.

Kalamazoo
May 23rd, 2019, 09:27 AM
I'm 63. I don't have any gray hairs. I'm either a blondette or a tawny.

I noticed my first grays at age 20.

What do I do? Neem oil, black walnut hull extract, Ayurvedic herbs like neem leaf & amla (Kalpi Tone by Hesh), Jamaican Black Castor Oil (Pure Butter by Sunny Isle), and I replaced all my plastic combs with combs that are either wood or ox horn. The wooden ones contain the oils that grew naturally in the trees, so those oils transfer to the hair while combing. The wooden combs that combat "premature gray" (as their eBay ads say) are made from different trees: neem, lignum vitae, cherrywood, sandalwood, verawood, etc.

What you actually choose to do depends on your hair color. My brother is a much lighter blonde than I am. I gave him one of my neem combs. The ads for neem combs state that they return gray hairs to their natural color, &/or give hair a faint blackish cast. So on my brother's head, the neem comb turned his white hair a dark iron gray. But you have to keep in mind that as a toddler, his hair was so blonde that it looked white. I'm darker toned. One of my baby pictures shows my hair looking a dark, dark red. Usually, my hair has looked light brown, but sometimes it looks dark blonde, or green under fluorescent lights. So for me, using neem products turns my white hairs golden.

Just try one thing at a time, so you can see how it works before rushing on to the next idea.

What I do most often is use a wooden comb all the time for combing my hair. My second most frequent thing is keeping a jar of neem oil in the fridge (to keep it hardened enough to be non-messy) & adding a drop of black walnut hull extract to it. Then I tap the surface of it with my finger & dab it on whatever hair looks gray.

I discovered the Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Butter just last week & was thrilled at how quickly it darkened my gray roots at my temples.

A webpage with safe-sounding recipes for DIY hair dyes:

https://wellnessmama.com/5112/natural-hair-color-recipes/

I haven't actually tried any of WellnessMama's hair dye recipes, but they are something I would consider doing if I didn't like my current color.

akurah
May 23rd, 2019, 09:34 AM
I don't know, it was written on the package and I have read it somewhere on the internet too. But I didn't research it further because I have exactly one grey hair since about 5 years.

Don't try stuff based on what is written on the package unless it's widespread and common knowledge, and/or easily searchable online with legit sources (which is becoming harder to identify) or unless your doctor backs it up. They are trying to take your money, after all, and they might be peddling snake oil. For example, I trust advil is a painkiller. I trust tea tree oil is antifungal. But these statements are common knowledge as a society generally.

This is especially worth considering because copper is dangerous when mega dosing (it can kill you). (look it up). The support that it can have an effect on greying is dubious at best. The theory is copper deficiency can contribute to early greying, but copper deficiencies are rare.

CrazyPlantLady
May 23rd, 2019, 09:42 AM
I'm 63. I don't have any gray hairs. I'm either a blondette or a tawny.

I noticed my first grays at age 20.

What do I do? Neem oil, black walnut hull extract, Ayurvedic herbs like neem leaf & amla (Kalpi Tone by Hesh), Jamaican Black Castor Oil (Pure Butter by Sunny Isle), and I replaced all my plastic combs with combs that are either wood or ox horn. The wooden ones contain the oils that grew naturally in the trees, so those oils transfer to the hair while combing. The wooden combs that combat "premature gray" (as their eBay ads say) are made from different trees: neem, lignum vitae, cherrywood, sandalwood, verawood, etc.

What you actually choose to do depends on your hair color. My brother is a much lighter blonde than I am. I gave him one of my neem combs. The ads for neem combs state that they return gray hairs to their natural color, &/or give hair a faint blackish cast. So on my brother's head, the neem comb turned his white hair a dark iron gray. But you have to keep in mind that as a toddler, his hair was so blonde that it looked white. I'm darker toned. One of my baby pictures shows my hair looking a dark, dark red. Usually, my hair has looked light brown, but sometimes it looks dark blonde, or green under fluorescent lights. So for me, using neem products turns my white hairs golden.

Just try one thing at a time, so you can see how it works before rushing on to the next idea.

What I do most often is use a wooden comb all the time for combing my hair. My second most frequent thing is keeping a jar of neem oil in the fridge (to keep it hardened enough tp be non-messy) & adding a drop of black walnut hull extract to it. Then I tap the surface of it with my finger & dab it on whatever hair looks gray.

I discovered the Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Butter just last week & was thrilled at how quickly it darkened my gray roots at my temples.

A webpage with safe-sounding recipes for DIY hair dyes:

https://wellnessmama.com/5112/natural-hair-color-recipes/

I haven't actually tried any of WellnessMama's hair dye recipes, but they are something I would consider doing if I didn't like my current color.

This is interesting. I like that you're using natural remedies, do you think that your hair color (being blonde) makes any difference on when you go grey? I have a blonde friend who is in her late 30's and has NO grey hairs. I've hears brunettes go grey faster due to the high level of melanin in their hair strands as opposed to blondes.

Kalamazoo
May 23rd, 2019, 09:55 AM
No, I don't think your hair color has any effect on when gray hairs happen. After all, there are lots of YouTube videos about Chinese people washing their hair with fermented rice water & continuing to have fully black hair until a ripe old age.

My opinion is pure blue-sky opinion. I haven't done any research on this. But I do know that I'm much more of a health food fanatic than most of my friends, & I think I've got better health over-all to show for it. (My food tastes awesome, too!)

And my health food philosophy carries over into cosmetics & hair care products.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 23rd, 2019, 10:07 AM
I began greying at age 21 and promptly began dying my hair. Looking back I wish I hadn't because now I love my silvers so much and now I have a whole heap of dye to grow out.

Kalamazoo
May 23rd, 2019, 10:17 AM
One big advantage to the things I've been choosing is that they AREN'T dyes. My brother merely stopped using the neem comb & his hair reverted to white.

Also, I've been looking for things that improve the hair's health & encourage growth -- no chemical damage.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2019, 10:17 AM
Don't try stuff based on what is written on the package unless it's widespread and common knowledge, and/or easily searchable online with legit sources (which is becoming harder to identify) or unless your doctor backs it up. They are trying to take your money, after all, and they might be peddling snake oil. For example, I trust advil is a painkiller. I trust tea tree oil is antifungal. But these statements are common knowledge as a society generally.

This is especially worth considering because copper is dangerous when mega dosing (it can kill you). (look it up). The support that it can have an effect on greying is dubious at best. The theory is copper deficiency can contribute to early greying, but copper deficiencies are rare.

I fully agree with this sentiment. ^^

Joules
May 23rd, 2019, 10:26 AM
I got my first gray hair at the age of 20. Now I'm 25 and they're multiplying steadily. It's still just a white sparkle here and there, only I notice them because I know where to look, but still. I'm beginning to embrace it more and more, especially since I found this place and discovered grombre on instagram. Although I do wish this process would go slowly and I'd enjoy my natural color for a bit longer.

Henna doesn't cover grays (that's the reason I decided to grow it out), and henndigo seems like too much hassle (besides I dislike the look of white roots on black hair). My regular supplements contain a reasonable dose of copper, it doesn't seem to help that much. Or maybe it does help and without it I'd be half gray by now, who knows.

Shepherdess
May 23rd, 2019, 10:39 AM
I think it might be in my family background genetics as well. Although none of my siblings seem to have in inherited it, yet. My grandfather had blonde hair but started getting white hairs in highschool and by the time he was 30 his head of hair was fully white. People often thought that my grandma (his wife) was actually his daughter because of this. I think if it is genetic it can't be fixed with a mineral supplement. If it can be fixed with a mineral supplement then perhaps it is just a mineral deficiency. In my grandfather's case I am pretty sure it was genetics. Perhaps looking into the potential cause might help?

blackgothicdoll
May 23rd, 2019, 11:49 AM
Got my first gray a week before I turned 25. Mine come in snow white. I'm gonna let it happen with hopes of looking like Storm one day. Fingers crossed...

CrazyPlantLady
May 23rd, 2019, 12:01 PM
Got my first gray a week before I turned 25. Mine come in snow white. I'm gonna let it happen with hopes of looking like Storm one day. Fingers crossed...

I'd love a nice grey streak like rogue from X-Men, unfortunately mine just seem to be popping up everywhere :wail:

BerrySara
May 23rd, 2019, 12:14 PM

Hehe I dig where your goals are at. Storm is badass.

Kalamazoo
May 23rd, 2019, 02:30 PM
TBH: I grabbed the Caboki & powdered my temples before heading out the door for work this a.m.!

Whatever you choose to do about it, remember that your hair's going to keep growing, and those silver roots will be reappearing, so you'll need to repeat your solution many, many times. Go easy on yourself & choose something as close to harmless as possible.

Sunshineliz
May 23rd, 2019, 02:42 PM
I noticed my first gray at 20. Given the length and number found they'd certainly been there earlier. I dyed exactly once and only because my MIL literally gave me a blank check and dropped me off at the hair salon and told me to dye it. She meant well.
I embrace it and have done so for years. I'm 41 now but I've been noticeably gray for at least 15 years? I started out with a Rogue streak and it's spread. I'm probably around 50% gray now with it concentrated most around my face. My avatar is me a couple of weeks ago.
Everyone in my family grayed young. 6 out of 7 of us siblings are embracing it. One sister dyed for years but embraced it when she was roughly 40. I think the youngest any sibling found a gray hair was 12. My dad started in his teens. My mom later but young enough that it probably is an influence on us. And now my 15 year old son has a gray hair!
I'm just telling him congratulations on his first step to being a superhero or anime character.

AutobotsAttack
May 23rd, 2019, 08:31 PM

Not so much copper, but ferritin levels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5125965/

Kalamazoo
May 23rd, 2019, 10:30 PM
Sunshineliz, what a beautiful avatar! :thud:

desisparkles
May 24th, 2019, 12:11 AM
I noticed my first gray at 20. Given the length and number found they'd certainly been there earlier. I dyed exactly once and only because my MIL literally gave me a blank check and dropped me off at the hair salon and told me to dye it. She meant well.
I embrace it and have done so for years. I'm 41 now but I've been noticeably gray for at least 15 years? I started out with a Rogue streak and it's spread. I'm probably around 50% gray now with it concentrated most around my face. My avatar is me a couple of weeks ago.
Everyone in my family grayed young. 6 out of 7 of us siblings are embracing it. One sister dyed for years but embraced it when she was roughly 40. I think the youngest any sibling found a gray hair was 12. My dad started in his teens. My mom later but young enough that it probably is an influence on us. And now my 15 year old son has a gray hair!
I'm just telling him congratulations on his first step to being a superhero or anime character.

Sunshineliz Your avatar pic is beautiful! I found my first grey at 13 - my friend and I inspected each other's hair and we both already had a few. I stopped dyeing my hair 17 months ago and mine are sprinkled at my crown mostly. I'm in my 30's. I def figured I would have more by now though so ya really never know. I am going to try really really hard to not dye again and I even bought some synthetic grey hair to make a paranda with. I can't wait for it to get here to see what it will look like in a braided bun against my very dark hair. But... if I do one day down the line feel like I want to dye my hair I won't give myself any grief about it - but I so highly doubt it will happen. I've dyed for 20 years - I think I'm truly done.

lapushka
May 24th, 2019, 05:51 AM

Wow; thanks for linking that!

I like to hammer on bloodwork and seeing if you aren't deficient in anything. Not because of gray hair, but because hair is last on the list of things to get "stuff" from the body, and so you need to be very healthy.

Sunshineliz
May 24th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Sunshineliz, what a beautiful avatar! :thud:
Thank you so much. :flower:

Sunshineliz Your avatar pic is beautiful! I found my first grey at 13 - my friend and I inspected each other's hair and we both already had a few. I stopped dyeing my hair 17 months ago and mine are sprinkled at my crown mostly. I'm in my 30's. I def figured I would have more by now though so ya really never know. I am going to try really really hard to not dye again and I even bought some synthetic grey hair to make a paranda with. I can't wait for it to get here to see what it will look like in a braided bun against my very dark hair. But... if I do one day down the line feel like I want to dye my hair I won't give myself any grief about it - but I so highly doubt it will happen. I've dyed for 20 years - I think I'm truly done.

Thank you! Have you seen the Salt & Pepper thread? It's full of those of us embracing the silver. Some young, some old, some growing out dye and some letting it slowly silver. It's a good support group.

CrazyPlantLady
May 24th, 2019, 08:13 AM

Interesting!

EdG
May 24th, 2019, 08:53 AM
My first silvers appeared in my teens. They stayed few in number up to my 40s. Then, they exploded. :thud:

A wise LHC'er commented "That's not a bug. It's a feature!" :cheese:

I have been flaunting my silvers ever since then. ;)
Ed

CrazyPlantLady
May 24th, 2019, 10:23 AM
I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get more as I get older, but unless I have an awesome silver streak like Rogue, I see hair dye in my future :wail:

lapushka
May 24th, 2019, 10:50 AM
I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get more as I get older, but unless I have an awesome silver streak like Rogue, I see hair dye in my future :wail:

Before you dye, check out the salt and pepper thread. So many pretty ladies and such gorgeous grays! They inspire me daily not to grab for that dye. Once you do that, you are stuck to it. And for a tiny bit, like 1-3% gray? It's not worth it. To me at least.

When I wear my hair up it's noticeable, but not when it's down (right, you can't tell by my signature that I have a sprinkling of white throughout).

CrazyPlantLady
May 24th, 2019, 11:09 AM
Before you dye, check out the salt and pepper thread. So many pretty ladies and such gorgeous grays! They inspire me daily not to grab for that dye. Once you do that, you are stuck to it. And for a tiny bit, like 1-3% gray? It's not worth it. To me at least.

When I wear my hair up it's noticeable, but not when it's down (right, you can't tell by my signature that I have a sprinkling of white throughout).

I'll check it out, thanks!

Dark40
May 24th, 2019, 02:31 PM
I got my first grey hair when I was 18. On my father's side of the family everybody grey's early or at a young age. It part of our genetics. By the time my dad hit his 40's he was grey all over. I thank grey hair gorgeous! Especially, when it's well-taken care of. But I do use hair dye to cover. I'm not ready to embrace it until I get into my 70's or 80's I think, and who knows? I may not ever show my greys! :)