PDA

View Full Version : Dry and Itchy Scalp Haircare Routine

Ju
May 22nd, 2019, 10:38 PM
Hello friends longtime no chat.

All my life I've had periods where my scalp can get incredibly dry to the point that it almost hurts and also gets incredibly itchy. Eventually I work out a solution or it just works itself out until the next bout of chronic dry/itch. For the rest of the year I tend to just have a dry-leaning scalp.

My question is, as a LHC-er, I have mostly used sulfate/parabens/silicone free, 'natural' products (that have all the "oils" rather than the -zones -cones -alcohols, words I can't read).
So when I the dry/itch makes a return, I'm a bit unsure of what the products I'm using are doing to my hair (as well as my scalp).

The classic things I've tried are Selsun, TGel, head and shoulders, some tar products and Cedel. Generaly I've found that Selsun, TGel and Cedel have helped to an extent, but ultimately made my hair feel really really straw like after use (and I'm anxious to apply conditioner root to tip in the case that applying conditioner to my scalp zone would only make the problem worse). Likewise, I really enjoy the relief that the head and schoulders eucalyptus gives, if I leave it in for like ten minutes it really soothes my scalp for whatever reason (i think its just the pepermint oil that is in there) but I feel like I'm doing a disservice to my poor hair strands that are then coated in the ingredients I try to avoid and that I know make my hair less-than-optimal.

Right now I'm having the dry/itch and I bought a Nizoral 1% ("with deep conditioning") and I already feel pretty good about using it and my scalp feels so relieved. It has me wondering again whether its going to really dry out my hair and detract from all the good stuff I try to do for it.

Does any one have any experiences like this or deal with the same problem and have thoughts on how it affects their hair care?

Liz_H
May 22nd, 2019, 11:32 PM
ETA .. THIS ADVICE IS WRONG AND HARMFUL FOR THIS SITUATION

I just started dealing with this. I can't give an experienced answer, just some ideas. Have you tried co-wash or oiling your scalp? I plan to try adding some conditioner or an egg yolk to my diluted shampoo for my next wash.

If conditioner aggravates your dry scalp, could you wash it out the next day?

Joules
May 23rd, 2019, 05:27 AM
I just started dealing with this. I can't give an experienced answer, just some ideas. Have you tried co-wash or oiling your scalp? I plan to try adding some conditioner or an egg yolk to my diluted shampoo for my next wash.

If conditioner aggravates your dry scalp, could you wash it out the next day?

This advice is dangerous. Since H&S and Nizoral help the OP, it means her problems are most likely fungal. Oiling and co-washing would exacerbate the issue and lead to flare-ups and shedding.

I would suggest using whatever shampoos relieve itching and soreness. No diluting, no eggs, only full strength sulfates and anti-fungal ingredients. Scalp health always comes first. To keep the hair soft you could try double conditioning and ROO. Lapushka here has seborrheic dermatitis and manages to keep her hair healthy, she would give you the best advice :)

ETA: I don't think Nizoral should be drying. It contains rather mild detergents as far as I remember.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2019, 07:09 AM

All my life I've had periods where my scalp can get incredibly dry to the point that it almost hurts and also gets incredibly itchy. Eventually I work out a solution or it just works itself out until the next bout of chronic dry/itch. For the rest of the year I tend to just have a dry-leaning scalp.

My question is, as a LHC-er, I have mostly used sulfate/parabens/silicone free, 'natural' products (that have all the "oils" rather than the -zones -cones -alcohols, words I can't read).
So when I the dry/itch makes a return, I'm a bit unsure of what the products I'm using are doing to my hair (as well as my scalp).

The classic things I've tried are Selsun, TGel, head and shoulders, some tar products and Cedel. Generaly I've found that Selsun, TGel and Cedel have helped to an extent, but ultimately made my hair feel really really straw like after use (and I'm anxious to apply conditioner root to tip in the case that applying conditioner to my scalp zone would only make the problem worse). Likewise, I really enjoy the relief that the head and schoulders eucalyptus gives, if I leave it in for like ten minutes it really soothes my scalp for whatever reason (i think its just the pepermint oil that is in there) but I feel like I'm doing a disservice to my poor hair strands that are then coated in the ingredients I try to avoid and that I know make my hair less-than-optimal.

Right now I'm having the dry/itch and I bought a Nizoral 1% ("with deep conditioning") and I already feel pretty good about using it and my scalp feels so relieved. It has me wondering again whether its going to really dry out my hair and detract from all the good stuff I try to do for it.

Does any one have any experiences like this or deal with the same problem and have thoughts on how it affects their hair care?

Just wanting to make a point here. Your scalp should be your priority, and should always come before dryness of the strands. A healthy scalp ensures good growth, dry lengths can always be helped with conditioner. :flower:

If your scalp goes to hell, then your hair can't be saved either. :(

So if the H&S helps and it helps keeping it in for a n° of min., then I would stick to it.

Natural isn't always "better"!

Ju
May 23rd, 2019, 07:31 AM
Thank you for helping! I definitely think you are right and I will keep up with the scalp stuff first and foremost and I'll fuss about with some deep conditioning a bit down the track.
I think I was just a bit frustrated because coming from a long history of very damaged hair to finally having my hair in a good condition after like two years of growing it out is such a blessing and I didn't want to lose it. Now I see thats silly and that a bit of scalp treatment isn't going to take it away.

Love this community!

lapushka
May 23rd, 2019, 07:39 AM
Thank you for helping! I definitely think you are right and I will keep up with the scalp stuff first and foremost and I'll fuss about with some deep conditioning a bit down the track.
I think I was just a bit frustrated because coming from a long history of very damaged hair to finally having my hair in a good condition after like two years of growing it out is such a blessing and I didn't want to lose it. Now I see thats silly and that a bit of scalp treatment isn't going to take it away.

Love this community!

I've been there with damage. On top of that I have SD, aka seborrheic dermatitis (which is often mistaken for dry scalp). In essence it is fungal overgrowth. The better you cleanse the hair, the better SD fares. But to reach that conclusion I have had a long long search for just the right kind of routine.

I wish someone told me earlier how important good scalp care is. So that is why I'm stressing this so much.

I do sometimes leave my H&S in for a few min. as well and just 2 min. seems to do me a world of good when the flakes aren't that bad. 10 min. is a long time, but if it helps, it's all for the good of your scalp. If you find something that works; stick to it, by all means, that is precious!

Anyway, good luck! :D

akurah
May 23rd, 2019, 10:58 AM
Head and shoulders, in my experience, is less drying. I'm not dealing with SD though, I'm dealing with just itchy skin. If you haven't yet, I'd go to a doctor.

Sparkles122
May 23rd, 2019, 12:26 PM
I have a question. Why do all head and shoulders shampoos contain dimethicone? Or maybe its just the ones in the US. I really hate putting silicones on my scalp but I really wanted to try head and shoulders

akurah
May 23rd, 2019, 01:15 PM
I have a question. Why do all head and shoulders shampoos contain dimethicone? Or maybe its just the ones in the US. I really hate putting silicones on my scalp but I really wanted to try head and shoulders
I have no idea. They're responsive to emails though so you could email and ask. They emailed me back when I wrote to complain they discontinued fragrance free products

Joules
May 23rd, 2019, 01:23 PM

Maybe to counteract the drying effect? H&S is pretty harsh. I remember how my hair looked when I used it without any hair treatments aferwards...shudder:

I don't like the idea of cones on my scalp too, that's why I'm using a different shampoo (an off-brand dupe of Nizoral).

lapushka
May 23rd, 2019, 03:43 PM

I do know that Aldi's own brand of H&S has no silicones in it here in Belgium. So I would check out the off-brands and see if they have silicones in them as well. Even though you might fare better with some silicone in there, in the formulation, as it can be quite drying.

MusicalSpoons
May 23rd, 2019, 04:38 PM
The thing with drying shampoos is you can mitigate a lot of it with conditioner - and if you put it on upside-down, you can mostly avoid the scalp. If your conditioner is prone to running/dripping, you could wick some of the water away with a towel before conditioning.

I will say Nizoral is not the *most* drying shampoo ever but it strips my hair and scalp and I'm a greaseball by the next day - however my dry scalp seems to be dehydration rather than fungal symptoms and it seems to dislike most cleansers :lol: (I rarely use it any more, only in desperation if I have weepy or moist patches - very rare for me.)

Liz_H
May 23rd, 2019, 06:05 PM
Thanks Joules. I added a note to my original post. I can't delete it once quoted.

AutobotsAttack
May 23rd, 2019, 08:42 PM

I don’t have SD, but I have a very sensitive scalp, that’s overly oily and sweats almost immediately. Shampoos are drying to my hair, even if I’m not having flare ups. Contrary to everyone else, I like to have a healthy scalp AND hair. With the right technique and products you can have both.

There’s no rocket science either. Just keep everything away from your scalp. Ears down is plenty of room to make sure no product touches your scalp, but you can ensure that your length is staying moisturized. I see no reason why you can’t use moisturizers, conditioners, and/or serums/oils on your length.

Most of my washing goes like that. Shampoo roots only, condition from ears down, deep condition from ears down, leave-ins and butters from the ears down. If I notice my roots getting dry, which they do typically, I will put a small bit of product towards my roots but making sure I don’t touch my scalp with anything.