PDA

View Full Version : What hemline is easiest to bun?

Liz_H
May 22nd, 2019, 08:41 PM
My ends are too layered for my taste, so I've decided to cut some inches. Eventually I'll eliminate most or all of the layers. I have a V shaped hemline, but the angle is way too sharp for my taste. My hair is growing about an inch and a half per month right now. I have no fears of cutting too much off.

zmirina
May 22nd, 2019, 08:46 PM
I'll keep an eye on this thread, because my 1a hair tends to shed from braids and buns, possibly because of the hemline. But who knows

Rowdy
May 22nd, 2019, 09:08 PM
I'd say it depends where on your head you put it. Right now I have a straight 1 length hem and top of the head is the best spot. When I had layers and a v/u hem low buns at my nape worked best. I was a bit past waist for both of these.

Liz_H
May 22nd, 2019, 09:20 PM
Thanks, this makes sense. I've never tried on the top of my head. After the cut, my hair will be somewhere between BSL and WSL

ps I plan to take a ruler with me to the hairdresser!

I'd say it depends where on your head you put it. Right now I have a straight 1 length hem and top of the head is the best spot. When I had layers and a v/u hem low buns at my nape worked best. I was a bit past waist for both of these.

AutobotsAttack
May 22nd, 2019, 09:22 PM
To be honest after you reach a certain length it’s all relatively easy to bun

Liz_H
May 22nd, 2019, 09:30 PM
That makes sense. I plan to stop at waist length.

To be honest after you reach a certain length it’s all relatively easy to bun

akurah
May 22nd, 2019, 09:46 PM
If you have a desire to wear it down with any regularity, have the hair dresser cut the hem you want it to look like while it's down without concern for bunning, because you can learn and use different bunning techniques that will make the point moot. If you plan to wear it up almost exclusively though, u and v shaped hems are easiest to bun.

Wusel
May 22nd, 2019, 11:08 PM
I feel like it's easier with a u-shape like I have now. It was more difficult when my hair was cut straight in the back.

LadyCelestina
May 23rd, 2019, 12:07 AM
Any hemline will do, as long as the ends are tapered.

spitfire511
May 23rd, 2019, 06:39 AM
If you have a desire to wear it down with any regularity, have the hair dresser cut the hem you want it to look like while it's down without concern for bunning, because you can learn and use different bunning techniques that will make the point moot. If you plan to wear it up almost exclusively though, u and v shaped hems are easiest to bun.

^^^ This. I keep a U (which I trim myself) and I do maintain long layers to keep some of the weight out of the ends, and they all tuck in pretty nicely - even with the layers. (Braids are shreddy though - but I don't do them often anyway)

Aerya
May 23rd, 2019, 06:56 AM
I recently cut mine aiming for a straight across, blunt hemline, and while I wasn't 100% successful, it made it a lot harder to bun. I used Feye's method and I can't really do buns too low as the ends are too blunt. Mind you, my hair is only APL, but I will go for a V/U-shape the next time I trim, and I will aim to go longer between trims than planned too as I find the tapered ends are much easier to secure in a bun. :)

lapushka
May 23rd, 2019, 07:01 AM
I have had a blunt hemline at waist, so I couldn't even bun then, but even a log roll was hard to do at some point.

I find things much easier with my heavily layered V. I'm happy with it. This is the cut in my signature.

Wusel
May 23rd, 2019, 09:10 AM
I have had a blunt hemline at waist, so I couldn't even bun then, but even a log roll was hard to do at some point.

I find things much easier with my heavily layered V. I'm happy with it. This is the cut in my signature.

True. Layered is always better to bun. For me too. I had layers and a long u-hemline at BSL and it bunned perfectly.

lapushka
May 23rd, 2019, 10:18 AM
True. Layered is always better to bun. For me too. I had layers and a long u-hemline at BSL and it bunned perfectly.

Also, I have barely any issue with "bits" sticking out. It kind of smooths over nicely, but I have layers from about hip to classic.

MusicalSpoons
May 23rd, 2019, 04:48 PM
U, maybe V (but I've not had a V). I used to have an annual cut - "trimming off the dead ends" i.e. 4-6 inches - and although I always wanted my hair shaped, I could never communicate what I meant so ended up with a straight hemline :doh: it was noticeably harder to tuck the ends into a bun, although if I'd known how to use sticks and forks instead of elastics it would have been less difficult, I think. But yes, definitely some shaping makes life easier. (Also, I don't have layers beyond natural taper and my braids shred insanely anyway :shrug:)

That is a good point about having the cut you want based on wearing it down - you adapt styles to it, and even though my hair is bunned virtually all the time, I still aim for a U hem because that's how I want it to look when my hair is down, even if that's only in length shots!

Corvana
May 23rd, 2019, 10:11 PM
I've had a U and now I think I've got a soft V hem. Both have been quite easy to bun, but I've never had a straight hem so I can't compare.

blesseddamozel
May 23rd, 2019, 10:22 PM
U has worked well for me

Cg
May 24th, 2019, 09:03 AM
I expect the answer varies depending on texture, thickness, length, and other factors. I've always kept my hemline straight and it doesn't seem to affect bunning.